Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Prototype, unreleased, no scent description.

Just as the cocoa proto (PSX54) wowed me with it's cocoa goodness, this one wowed me with it's VANILLA charm. Seriously, the two of those scents, together, could bring world peace.

From the bottle I thought I was sniffing straight up vanilla extract right from my baking cabinet. Ted even joked how did I know they didn't bottle vanilla extract :rofl: It's alcoholic without being boozy, there's no 'fizzy' alcohol here. When I tested it on my skin after the event I *knew* there was something so familiar about this scent, but it wasn't until scrappy mentioned it that I knew what it was - Antique Lace!!

AL is not vanilla at all to me, but this is like Antique Lace amped up with vanilla extract. I wore it to work today and it is STRONG. I love that it doesn't loose that heavy vanilla note that jumped out at me when I opened the bottle.

This is the first boozy scent I can wear. On my skin, I get vanilla extract plus something...I suppose it's the alcoholic part, because it reminds me of real vanilla extract, the kind where, when added to your homemade ice cream as flavoring in your chem class, you would totally get a headache. :lol:

It's pure and simple; wet, it starts out sweet, like simple syrup. As it drys, it blossoms into the exotic vanilla, heady and lush.

When I tried this at the trunk show, I had no idea what this was, and I summed it up to a tropical blossom, because it's so bright and heavy at the same time, the way plumeria is.

Sniffed: Colourless oil. Vanilla, amber, and something fruity - a light red berry note, or maybe a type of cherry? The vanilla reminds of the note in Antique Lace quite strongly. This appears to have the same base as AL.

Wet: Boozy, in a way that reminds me of Montresor - that same sort of sherry note, but no black currant. The AL base is very strong now and absolutely definitely AL. This is like an AL Chaos Theory (which would be a great idea!). In fact, the AL aspect is strongest note. I do get a bit more amber, the 'perfumey' sort that smells almost-floral even though it's not, for lack of a better word. It's the same note that's in AL, but it's just in higher proportion here. The vanilla isn't weak by any means, though! It's that same rich boozy vanilla.

Dry: Slow to dry, and this has very strong throw - if anything it is amping as it dries. I still get the tiniest hint of berry of some sort, and I think it's either wild strawberry or wild cherry, because it's tart and red and juicy, though as said, there's only a little dash of it in here. This is going the tiniest bit powdery on me, just as AL does. And this is much boozier than AL, though the booziness does appear to be fading.

Later: After a while this is really almost identical to some batches of AL I've had - it goes just a taaaaaad too powdery in an almost soapy way that makes me feel like sneezing if I inhale too deeply, too close. The only difference I can pinpoint is the additional amber - this is a warmer blend, more golden and sort of languid in feel than AL is. Actually, I think this has a more 'lineny' feel - it reminds me a bit of Berenice that way, though the linen is not THAT strong here.

Summary: The booze and the berry gradually fade to faint whispers after 30 minutes but then linger steadily, and this is nearly all vanilla, amber, and that mysterious faded floral blend that AL contains. Like I said - Chaos AL, one with extra amber, a bit of linen, and those berry & sherry nuances. Fantastically strong throw & longevity.

At the beginning, this was warm lemon sugar vanilla linen. I got a faint linen note. Definitely foodie. As it dries I get more vanilla amber out of this, and yes, I can see the similarity to Antique Lace.

But yes, vanilla syrup. If you love Antique Lace, you'll love this.

First up, thank you to bluberyaplsaus for sending me a decant of this one!

Yum.. this is a stunning vanilla - deep and rich, sweet and syrupy with a definite boozy swagger, like a shot of rum's in there somewhere, but mostly it's all about the vanilla.

I agree this is very much like Antique Lace (but to me, heavier on the vanilla), and also I'm voting for this being a Boo-alike as well, but again much heavier on the vanilla.

Absolutely delectable, it lasts for ages on my skin and I can smell it all through the house. What's not to love?!?

When I tried this on, I thought, "This is pretty...but so similar to Antique Lace...I don't need it."

But I was impressed with its throw. And the way you could wear it anywhere...

As the hours went on (and on and on), I fell more and more in love with this one. The vanilla is just so delicious, with nary a trace of plastic. And thank goodness, whatever liquor I get burns off within seconds.

This is just a perfect "wear anywhere and feel damn good while you're wearing it" scent. It lasts forever, too.

I.... think I have a new favorite scent ;;_;;

In the bottle: Berry and vanilla with a hint of booze

Wet: The berry mostly vanishes and I get a lovely boozy vanilla that is not too sweet with a hint of light floral, this smells just like my decant of Antique Lace I adore, only stronger and more vanilla. :wub2:

Dry: Stays the same as wet and is lasting well, it's not a super heavy scent but it's definitely still there (though being overpowered a bit by Bake Sale on my other wrist) It's just so lovely, I'm so glad I splurged on this bottle.

This is quite AL-ish but it has more vanilla. Very nice, very wearable. I'd like to have a bottle of that one.

Edited by ifinena

I agree with the AL comparison, and that this is more vanilla heavy. Wet, this is thickly sweet vanilla. It ALMOST goes to plastic but manages to behave itself. As it dries, it smooths out and there is a cotton/linen tone as well as a boozy note that comes out. The booze seems to blend in with the vanilla after a bit. I definitely much prefer the dry stages to the wet ones.

Antique Lace on steroids. It's like AL on me but about 3x more throw and longevity. It's actually almost too much after a while! Beautiful but bordering on heavy.

Wet: Nasty bourbon...with a hint of vanilla. :sick:

Drydown: This actually goes from a sow's ear to a silk purse. It becomes a lighter version of my beloved Antique Lace. Glad I got a chance to try it....but Antique lace is fine with me.

XCDL13 - Oh wow, this is amazing! It's a rich, deep, sweet, boozy vanilla. I love vanilla notes, but they usually turn to plastic/band-aid on my skin. This one, however, stays true. I've been wearing it for about 2 hours and it hasn't disappeared, whereas most vanillas that don't turn to plastic/band-aid disappear on me within 30 minutes. There is a definite boozy quality to this... kind of reminds me of what happens when you mix vanilla Stoli with cream soda. In fact, now that I wrote that, I realize that's exactly what it smells like! Mmmmm!!!! I'm so glad to have procured a whole bunch of this and no one's going to pry it from my grabby little hands!

ETA: I came back to add that I applied this around 5:45pm in the evening, and could still smell it strong when I went to bed around 11:30pm. When I awoke at 6:00am, I couldn't smell even the faintest trace of it. So it wears off somewhere between the 6-12 hour point...which for me, means it has amazingly long wear, since most scents burn off my more quickly than that on my dry skin.

Edited by edenssixthday

I love this blend and wish it could have been released. On my skin, I'm getting very boozy vanilla as well. Throw is strong and this stuff LASTS forever on my skin. I applied some before bed last night and could still smell it on me this morning when I awoke.

Got a partial imp of this from sunshinedaisybliss as a BPALentine; thanks so much again!

In the imp, this smells like vanilla amped up to 11, with a bit of booze. Can't wait to see how this is... It's a beautiful boozy vanilla on me, and barring any sudden turns, I may be actively seeking this out... And it. Is. Amazing. It appears that the BPALicorns are the ones that work the best on me. Gonna hoard what I have of this, cause it's amazing.

Edited by Venneh

Edited 4/5: You know, skin chemistry is a funny thing. The first time I tried this, I could have sworn it turned to bona fide Tresor. I didn't think things would change, because to this point they haven't with any other blend that didn't work the first time, but when it came around again at WCWC I took a chance. I thought if all else fails, age a year and see what happens. Or try some layering magic.

NOW I see what everyone is talking about with the boozy vanilla! Actually the boozy vanilla in this is very reminscent of that in Underpants to me, and Underpants is one of my all-time favorites. It's straight up heady vanilla booze (no, it doesn't smell alcoholic just--intoxicating), more like a tropical vanilla instead of a cakey one. There are faint fruity-floral undertones, but again, no screeching florals but more like whispers of exotic blooms, pikake or tiare perhaps? I can imagine it would be great layered with something coconut, but it's delicious enough on its own.

I don't know what made this smell like Tresor to me the first time. It could have been the body cream I had on, the 15 other scents I was testing within the same hour or the fact I was PMSing. No idea. All I know is I'm glad I have a bottle now and that it will last me plenty of time because a little goes a long way!

Edited by Invidiana

I was hoping to not like this one..... *sigh*

This is Antique Lace. Might be a little stronger, but in essence.... this is Antique Lace. :thud: :yum:

Ahhhhhhh! Must find more! Thank you sooooo much sunshinedaisybliss for the decant! You are amazing and thoughtful!! :wub2:

My first prototype!

This actually doesn't smell at all like Antique Lace on me - that was much heavier on the "cotton" and "dusty floral hints" scent than this is. This is a syrupy golden vanilla, sort of like cream soda. There is initailly some thing taht smells sort of berry-ish but that goes away after a couple of minutes. It's very strong and wafts about me in a cloud. A little dab'll do ya with this one!

Edited by gypsyjolie

:thud:

Yep, definitely the vanilla from Antique Lace, a bit brighter and lighter. This is very strong, i only had to put on a tiny dab. Lovely, just lovely! Initially i got something like strawberry, but in the drydown that is pretty much gone. It may be adding a bit of brightness, but there isn't any noticeable berry left once dry. Overall i love it, and i am so thankful to the fabulous gal who got me a couple of bottles at the last Will Call, i will wear it with joy!

New review: This smells like a lighter and brighter version of Antique Lace alright...but before hand it smells like Antique Lace took a couple a shots of bourbon before doing her thing. :lol: She is tipsy but beautiful with the vanilla and tinges of bourbon. Definitely a keeper and great for parties when I want to wear something simple but with a little more character. :twisted:

When first applied, this is like boozy, sickly sweet vanilla extract plus something fruity/berry/currant smelling. The drydown is boozy, dark, sweet vanilla with hints of something clean and powdery. It gets a bit of a sharp, perfumey edge on me after a while, so there might be white florals or a sharp musk in this. I can see the comparisons to Antique Lace. My husband really likes this scent on me, but it's too-much something for me (too sweet, too powdery, too perfumey, all at different stages).

XCDL13

In the imp: boozy vanilla extract…like Antique Lace’s grown up sister.

Wet on skin: mmm, this is nice. A bit like the vanilla-rum in Underpants, but boozier.

Dry on skin: I like this! It smells like vanilla extract and a strong dark sweet booze undertone. At first I thought it was rum but now I wonder if it’s a bit like brandy or sherry, there’s a fruity aspect, like a hint of wine, to it. The vanilla is sublime. It’s Antique/Black Lace or Underpants vanilla, smooth and sexy and a bit musky-linen in scent. There’s a tad more caramel to this though, and a lot more alcohol. Actually the more I smell it, I think it’s actually cognac. A gentle and sweet cognac, usually that note dislikes me but in here it works.

After a while: this is strong! It’s a lot less linen-y than Antique Lace, the vanilla scent here has a wonderful Bourbon vanilla depth to it. It’s intoxicating and powerful vanilla. I’m not so crazy about the cognac at the back of the vanilla, it’s doing the weird thing that cognac notes do on my skin, but this is very similar to Black Lace but without the thick tobacco that I disliked in BL. I adore the vanilla here.

Verdict: I can see why this is so beloved, as I myself have fallen for this. It’s a sexed up Antique Lace. It’s like Black Lace without all the things I disliked in Black Lace. It’s the same creamy sexy vanilla, sophisticated and gorgeous. Similar to Underpants in that it’s a bit woodsy, and boozy like a vanilla liqueur, only this smells more like cognac instead of rum. Cognac usually disagrees with me and at the beginning it’s strong and incredibly boozy, but in here it fades away leaving a wonderful voluptuous vanilla behind. At once creamy like the finest ice cream yet also musky and classy, not foody or buttery in the slightest, it’s like the musky vanilla of Antique Lace (but a lot less innocent and gentle) or the sandalwood vanilla of Underpants, and I think it may be Bourbon vanilla, my favourite vanilla note of all. This wonderful vanilla lasts and lasts and lasts. It’s vanilla perfection and I do hope that one day something like this comes out, heavy with this type of vanilla. but I am so glad I found a bottle of this because it will be cherished.

Emoticon rating: :wub2:

Is it a keeper? definitely!

Edited by yeahbutnobut

I wasn't around to try Antique Lace so I have no comparison there. I heard this was boozy vanilla so I got an angel to get me a bottle at WCWC.

This is my favorite scent by far.

In the bottle, it is very much like vanilla extract. So it's got that really heavy alcohol smell with some light vanilla in the background. But when you put it on, the alcohol mellows (it's still there, though) and the strong vanilla comes out.

The throw is amazing. I don't slather my oils but I've still had someone about 5 feet away tell me I smell delicious.

The longevity is also amazing. This stuff sticks around! The longer you wear it, the more the sweeter vanilla comes out. Like a really high quality vanilla ice cream. So delicious.

I did have someone tell me I smelled like cupcakes when wearing it. Fine by me!

That perfumey-floral vanilla, like in CC: Female, that is cloying and borderline headache inducing. With some of that dry papery smell from U. Makes me feel slighly ill if I take a big huff.

2nd test: at first this time I get some of the vanilla booziness other reviews have exclaimed over, then growing floral and scratchiness. Slightly more appealing the second time, but... not really.

I am not getting the hype on this one. Thankfully.

I was never really an Antique Lace fan.. and while I totally get the comparisons to AL, XCDL13 is so much better. Vanilla and I have an iffy relationship, but I am slowly learning which vanillas work on me, and this is definitely one of them! :wub2:

Wet, I get a big hit of boozy cherry liquor and vanilla extract over vintage Antique Lace. Are those Miss Mary's babas au rhum I smell hiding behind the cooking vanilla?

The boozy overnote fades fast, and the hint of cherry evolves into a distinct carnation or stock note. This turns straight carnation single-note for a minute, in fact.

It dries into a light, elegant vanilla musk over carnation powder and sweet pea-type florals. The end result is too pink and powdery for me (just as Antique Lace was), but I see how this would be a big hit for AL junkies.