Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
persianmouse

The Ferris Wheel

I am having the hardest time placing this scent. It’s like…a feminine robot. But not a girly robot or a tawdry robot. This isn't a robot for fuckin'. It kind of metal, but not a very metallic metal, and like...feminine grease?

...oh that sounded so wrong.

Maybe its skin musk that I’m smelling, but a light light skin musk…or lemongrass?

Hell, I don’t know. It smells like a fucking Ferris Wheel. Go find a Ferris Wheel and smell it. That’s exactly what this smells like.

Metal and clean and slightly fruity. And almost melon quality that makes it seem very fresh and summery. This is not quite as diabolical as I would imagine from the CD's ferris wheel but is total win!! As it dries there is a subtle white floral quality to the notes which is almost soapy but in the best way possible. I hope this is released in time for hot weather as I can see myself reaching for this one to counter those blistering desert summer days!!

Edited by Eutectic

I received a sample of this from the incomparable evanescence!

In the vial: Ozone, juicy citrus (grapefruit?), and white metal.

Wet: White metal, something mechanical, a lot of ozone, and is that wet dirt I'm getting? It smells a little like there's a whiff of diesel fuel, too, but as it warms up that note is going more aquatic on me.

Half an hour: Aging vinyl upholstery, mechanical equipment emitting just a bit of smoke, and the disquieting scent of a lot of people eating a lot of different kinds of foods somewhere beneath my feet. Fascinating!

Two and a half hours: A gentle metallic note and a bit of ozone. This has calmed down a lot on me. It was never dismaying, even with the diesel note.

Five hours: Long since almost disappeared, just a breath of something that might be metal is left.

Normally I have a hard time with the metallic note, but this one was never a problem.

Edited by Shollin

At first, strong fruit, I think it might be raspberry, although if I sniff up close it’s perfumey. The fruit makes me think of Slurpees, it’s sweet and syrupy. Turning more to heady florals as it dries. Not one for me I'm afraid. I should just change my user title to "does bad things to flowers."

Hmm.. before I read these previous reviews, I would not have said there was anything metallic or ozone in here! But now that I've read 'em, and gone looking for those notes.. maaaaaybe I can smell them - although I'm also picking up something slightly aquatic in here. But I really wouldn't class this as a metallic or ozone blend at all - it has a very 'clean' feel about it though, quite fresh and slightly fruity. As it dries, sweet and heady florals appear - hmm.. I have to agree with myth on this one, the morph into florals territory is very disappointing.

So this ends up being a mostly floral blend on me, with an underlying tinge of clean metallic/aquatic something-or-other, with the end result being rather perfume-y. Having never smelled an actual ferris wheel, I have no basis for comparison, but I wasn't really expecting florals out of this. I'll be interested to see whether the final version of this that comes out in the next CD act is anything like this proto!

This review was brought to you by big :wub2: to wintersmelody for sharing her decant of this one with me!

Big hugs to sunshinedaisybliss for sharing this! :)

I really like this, in the vial - it's got unexpected Juicyfruits! ;) But when I put it on that brightness transforms into a very airy, insinuating sort of sweet floral ozone; in other words, it goes a little hair spray. But the sugariness is really fun. But ... yeah, mostly I'm time-warped back to an era when one might, say, have one's friends do terrible, inhumane things to one's hair, then sit with one's eyes closed while a cloud of fixative mist rained down from a spray bottle.

No, it's not THAT hairspray-y. But the scent memory, it does wacky things... and it's more fun to travel down that path than to shrug and say to myself, Self, it's turning to miscellaneous sharp florals that you can almost but not quite pin down (lilac? Something like that). Sigh.

The Ferris Wheel - This is less about the metal of the actual ferris wheel (although there is metal and maybe some grease in there) and more about the fresh-air experience of riding a ferris wheel, and feeling a warm summer day's breeze on your skin and the scent of summer flowers in the air and even a hint of sweat on your skin. It doesn't seem scary enough for a Carnaval Diabolique scent. I'll be interested to see if the released version is a touch more evil than this proto.

Metal, grease, and wood. There was a touch of ozone on wet, but it dries to a summer breeze, summer flowers with an overlay of metal, grease and touch of woods.

This would be very at home with the Phoenix Steamworks line. Steampunky.

ETA: I got a full decant to test and definitely more aquatics and ozone in it. I'd say a fair bit of oakmoss. On the drydown, it's still pretty aquatic but you get the metal, grease, and a touch of woods.

Edited by zankoku_zen

WHAT are you people on about, I'm so confused, it's cucumber water-infused dryer sheets and melon hand soap. WHUT.