To People passing in the Street-
(The rapidly increasing Heat
Encouraging her to obtain
Their confidence)-but all in vain!
For every time she shouted "Fire!"
They only answered "Little Liar!"
And therefore when her Aunt returned,
Matilda, and the House, were Burned.

A conflagration: amber, tagette, and cognac.

In the bottle I don't really smell anything.

First on I can pick up the amber and cognac. It is golden and warm but not powdery at all and the cognac isn't boozy. Perfection.

It warms up a little more on the drydown. This is fantastic!!!

Dreadful Lies is the loveliest warmest amber and cognac... I don't think I get any tagette. It is everything that I hoped it would be. This and L'Estate are my 2 favorite amber blends. Dreadful Lies is sitting by a roaring fire in a stone fireplace while sitting on a sheepskin rug snuggling with your significant other sipping a nice glass of your favorite drink for such activities.

In bottle: I was not impressed at first as it’s rather more delicate than I like, but it’s growing on me. Apparently, tagette is Mexican marigold. This isn’t really floral or boozey, though there is a hint of floral to it. It’s very Amber dominant, with the cognac and marigold acting as support. Wet: Pretty much as in the bottle, though as is warms, it balances out more. I’m not a floral fan, but the tagette is so delicate, I really don’t mind at all and the cognac lends a richness to the amber. It strengthens as it warms, which is also an improvement. It’s rather more perfumey than I’d choose for myself, but it’s growing on me. Dry: I’m really liking this. The amber cognac combination really works out nicely. I never would have guessed how good this would be from the bottle

I took a gamble on this one, usually flowers don't play nice on my skin, but I looooooove amber.

In the bottle it smells like cognac and amber.

on me the marigold comes out, but not too strong. Its definitely a sweet floral but the other notes keep it from overpowering.

Dry, I don't smell much cognac, but I do get quite a bit of amber. I think after this has a month or so to settle it will be something I wear often.

Bpal's amber almost always turns to baby powder or dust on my skin (though I normally love amber notes from other companies), so I wasn't expecting much from Dreadful Lies. This actually smells gorgeous on me, though (and yay!).

This reminds me a bit of Arcana's Nepalese Amber layering note. It's like a golden, sweet, smooth, vanilla-y sort of amber. It's warm and smells almost edible and creamy. I don't smell the cognac or tagette at all, as far as I can tell, just a beautiful amber. It has decent staying power and throw on me as well.

Dreadful Lies is a beautiful, wearable amber. It smells exotic, sensual, and comforting. I wish that I could wrap myself up in it <3. And I wish that I had gotten a few extra bottles of this one...

Oh good GODS, I want to roll around in this scent. It's WONDERFUL!! I get just a little bit of tagette, but mostly it's amber and cognac. The amber isn't powdery on me, so this ends up being a really warm and golden scent. It's not sunny, but a little dusky, and definitely sexy!!

The combination of amber and cognac in this is sublime - the voluptuous richness of cognac is tempered by the dusky powderiness of the amber, so that neither is dominant - they're blended beautifully. The tagette is lending just a touch of sweetness, a bit of "shine" to the overall softness, but on my skin this is all about the amber and cognac. I'd love to smell this on a man, I think it would be drop dead sexy on the right guy.

The longer it stays on my skin, the lovelier it gets.. it has warmed up nicely but still has the beautiful duskiness of the amber. It's warm and comforting, like a soft cuddly blanket. Gorgeous!

Reviewed by a self proclaimed foodie who is reviewing only because she was decanting it:

UGH.

:lol:

I also don't think I like amber. It's very warm smelling...but this blend is too strong for me. It's knocking me over. It smells like really old perfume that has evaporated, crusted down on the bottle. Yikes! I will leave this to the amber lovers to better sort out this scent...I'm going to be no help on this one for sure!!! :blush:

Amber and Cognac are both strong on my skin with this one...but the amber edges out over everything else on the dry down. I got no floral in this blend. Amber lovers should give this one a try.

Beautiful warm amber -- it has a slightly darker undernote but delicious resinous warm golden amber. I'm kicking myself for not getting this one. YUM!

Amber and cognac with hints of powdery dry alcoholic cleaner. This is the first amber that has ever gone powdery on me. I love the powder note and the amber and tagette are really smooth. Quite nice but the cognac is too much it smells clean yet boozy. At least I don't have to try and track this down.

Edited by Dark Alice

Slightly sour-fresh and herbal, presumably from the tagetes (i.e. marigold), with a smooth but strong cognac note that's more rich than boozy, and the perfumey, slightly powdery type of amber. Hmmm.

Fresher, almost citrusy, with loads of marigold! Still quite sour, but in a way that I really like. Boozier too, sharper, a definite alcohol note - this is good, it keeps the cognac bright, which I like. The amber is sadly more perfumey in that sort of old lady powdery way I just don't like. I sense it going powdery already and this isn't even near dry.

This isn't drying, so it isn't morphing much either, although it is amping on my skin - it has VERY strong throw and is much stronger on me than it was in the bottle. The marigold is going a bit dusty, and is a little sharp in an herbal-medicinal way - it's oddly compelling, in that I want to keep sniffing it, but it's also a bit off-putting. And the amber here is exactly the type I most dislike, boooooo. :(

Amber amping. It's not going to full powder, but it does have that powdery edge, and it's very perfumey - old lady floral-soap-powder perfumey, but in a way that is unique to certain ambers, and that's the best description I can summon. It's been 2+ hours and this is still not fully dry! The cognac has softened a bit - some of the alcohol has burned off - and sweetened ever so slightly. The marigold's the same, and continues to dominate the blend.

Hours and hours later this has turned into something quite lovely - it's gotten musky, the cognac and amber have deepened, and the amber has lost most of its perfumey and powdery qualities, leaving smooth warmth reminiscent of L'Estate. The marigold is no longer sour, but a dry though still bright sort of sage-like masculne herbal-floral note. The cognac is really shining though the most in the end, deep and rich and almost creamy, almost caramelised. A sour blend turns into a gently sweet, deep, golden skin scent. The rocky early stages are worth this glorious drydown, and I bet this would be just amazing on a man. Fantastic throw and longevity.

Dreadful Lies - This is a lovely amber blend. On first application from my decant, I felt a little whimper rise out of me because it would be so hard to get a full bottle! But then it turned a little too powdery on me to wear a lot, so I'm okay with my decant. Phew! Still, it's nice. It's a warm, powdery amber, and I get absolutely no tagette from it, and just the lightest hint of cognac, which smooths and rounds out the amber, while the powderiness of the amber keeps the cognac from being overwhelmingly boozy and rich. It's a really lovely blend, but the way the amber turns to such a warm, golden, powdery scent reminds me so much of Delousing Powder, that I think I'm good sticking with my old DP when I need a pretty, warm amber scent.

Wet, this is a 'naughty', dark amber. I get the tagette, which I'm assuming kind of smells like marigolds. I'm not getting any cognac, sadly. As it dries, it loses it's dark edge and becomes like a gentle, unassuming amber blend. I haven't tried delousing powder, but it kind of reminds me of The Lion, only less spicy, or a weaker Jacob's Ladder. This is one I was waffling on getting a bottle, and now I'm glad that I didn't. Nice, but I have Jacob's Ladder when I need my amber fix, and on another note, this is a VERY fast fader. Very glad to have tried this though!!

It doesn't get any better than this. I adore amber, and this is no exception. Soft, snuggly golden amber mixes with cognac and tagette. It is sensual, slinky and just slightly boozy. Any fan of BPAL amber needs this blend.

This one was warm, musky, male cologne that went to warm, musky powder. Ah amber. On wet, it was definitely sharp, which lead me to think 'cologne like', and it was ever so slightly boozy.

Meh.

I'm liking this one a lot!

Once applied, I'm getting a deep dark menacing amber with cognac in the background making it manly, but only a touch. Even though one of the main notes happens to be cognac, I must say that this doesn't come off as very boozy which = win in my book! Booze are notes of doom on me.

As it dries down the amber settles in to dominate. It's on the verge of powder, but not quite.

Dry.. it's turning into a slightly powdery amber with traces of cognac in the background. It's still beautiful though. I bet this will age into something amazing!

I'll treasure my lil baby decant for sure.

verdict? Mrow!!!

This is rich golden amber all the way. Slightly bitter/woodsy/spicy, yet 100% pure golden amber. It does take on a hint of powder/soap on my skin after a while, but is otherwise one of the better ambers I've worn. It layers BEAUTIFULLY with other blends, I've noticed. Its very gender-neutral and not the usual powdery-perfume amber I'm used to. I think it will age quite well, too!

In the imp: This is so soft that I barely smell anything. A bit of amber, maybe...

Wet: Baby powder amber.

Dry: The cognac comes out and blends with this amber. Wow, this suddenly turned gorgeous! It's pretty and warm, but still really soft. I love the scent, but I need a bit more throw for something I'm going to wear.

Dreadful Lies

On: Heavy, dark, alcoholic, and a bit sweet.

1 hour in: There's an almost root beer-like feel to this one. Not fizzy, just that sassafras scent. It's really nice.

2 hours in: Still about the same. The combination of these notes on my skin totally smells like root beer. I'm digging it.

3.5 hours in: Sweet and lovely root beer.

Overall: I don't know why this developed the way it did on me, but I really, really like it.

Man, I really thought this one was going to be perfect. I love amber. It's something that my chemistry usually morphs well. Not here. It get a strong powder that reminds me of old lady spit. Of how my grandmother's house used to smell and it always made be gag a little. Now, this doesn't actually make me gag but it is close. I really don't like this one. :(

I love BPAL amber. It's powdery but to me it's comforting and nothing like baby powder. I didn't really hear much about this perfume but

I smell tagettes/marigold in the bottle. I don't have much experience with this note but I've always liked the strange smell of marigolds so this isn't off-putting. It's almost citrusy and I don't smell a lot of amber. Once applied to my skin, it turns into a rich golden amber. The oil is a strange consistency, it's not sticky, but it doesn't evaporate or blend into my skin easily. The amber reminds me of Jacob's Ladder at this point. The dry down on this is just gorgeous. The amber's powderiness has died down leaving a warm cognac skin scent.

Very soft and pretty amber with cognac just playing over the top of it. This does not smell like you just doused yourself in a bottle of cognac. It's just a hint. And this amber is amazingly one of the ones that is not going powdery on me.

Very nice.

On the skin: This is a very close to the skin scent! Soft and golden. In a way, it smells slightly clean, but with a golden, slightly soda feel to it. Slightly powdery as well. I do like the amber feel, but I don't think this one is for me. I have waaay too many ambers that I love in my collection already!

Soft, faint, delicate, powdery amber. There's a hint of something fruity that reminds me of Brisingamen. Somehow I thought it would smell closer to Harp of Cnoc I'Chosgair, but I barely get anything but faint amber here.

Holy crap.

I wore this today and thought I made a mistake when I first put it on (first time wearing). I didn't have time to remove, so I had to go with it—and to a very packed academic conference.

It was very strong wet... very powdery.

But at some point during my hour drive this morning, it became something MAGICAL. And people couldn't stop complimenting me.

It's warm. It's calming. And it's damn good.

This is a very deep golden scent to me, and aptly so with the listed notes, I guess. :)