Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cfrancesca

Overprotective Possessed Talking Doll

OVERPROTECTIVE POSSESSED TALKING DOLL
A sweet and disquieting mix of mimosa and strawberry.

Ohhh.. I LOVE this strawberry and mimosa combo! It's very sweet and has a lot of throw on me. Very cute! :lovestruck:

In the bottle this smells like powered strawberry candy.

On my skin still smells of sweet candy.

After a while the powered strawberry is still there but with something like rotten grapes Sad me. :(

Apparently the Goblins think I'm Nice this year :twisted:

In the bottle: the sweetest, juiciest strawberry - the one you know is going to squish the moment you pick it, so (oh, no) you're just going to have to eat it right away, no washing, dirty fingers and all.

Wet: effervescent strawberry candy, the good tastes-like-the-real-thing kind

Dry: the mimosa finally comes out to play, blending for a beautiful "pink" scent :wub2:

I was a bit wary (having had bad experiences with two different strawberry scents in the past), but this is a beautiful, light scent. At the beginning of the wet stage it verges on cloying, but then settles into a nice, sweet haze as the mimosa comes to the fore.

In the bottle: Strawberry Pop Rocks

Wet: Juicy strawberry, maybe a tiny twinge of artificial watermelon, aiding the juiciness. Juicy, juicy juicy strawberry candy! The powdered sugar note emerges, and now I am reminded of the strawberry hard candies that come in round tins. A teeny tiny hint of the mimosa hovers in the background, peeking out intermittently, only enough to make things more interesting.

Drydown: Strawberry candy with powdered sugar coating, and a tad of mimosa in the background. For the record, Madrid did horrible medicinal mimosa things on me, whereas this is not medicinal at all. There is just enough mimosa in this to be more than strawberry, more than candy. It really does remind me of a doll. Maybe because I was such a collector of scented dolls (and ponies) as a child.

I love love love this, and I am SO happy that I did Inquisition this year! I would be crying right now if I hadn't!

Talking Doll just goes all wrong on me. It smells like overripe, freezer burned strawberries that were left to unthaw and rot in a kitchen sink. Not good. It smells like strawberries that have spoiled.

So, Overprotective Possessed Talking Doll is rotten strawberries on me :(. It's both too sweet and oddly sour and off... I'll see if this gets any better with age, but it's definitely not wearable for me right now. I have some trouble wearing strawberry notes (though I love White Chocolate & Strawberry and like Floating Brain), but I've never had one go quite this bad on me before.

In decant: sparkling strawberries!

Wet: Now this is weird. I smell plastic on my arms but The Man walked into the room and said "Berries!!!"

Drydown: Still smells like dead plastic on my arms but The Man has comfirmed that the air around me smells like berries.

Later: I got nuthin'. Obviously, the rest of this decant will be used up in a scent locket.

This was my inquisition pick. I couldn't pass up based on the name alone (I had an insane fear of Chucky from the Childs Play movies as a child, seems lame now but...) plus strawberry is almost always a no-fail on me. It really is one of my best notes, it amps well, lasts long and smells fabulous (not that I'm bragging heh). So even though so many of the inquisition picks were oh-so-tempting I had to have this one.

In Bottle: Strawberry hard candy. Yummies.

Wet: Strawberry hard candy with a slight green note peeking in the background.

Drydown: Fresh strawberries with sugar sprinkled on top. Oh my this is great. I swear I can smell the green leafy part. This is strawberry pure and simple. I couldn't stop smelling my wrists, my fiance really liked it too. It's fruity-sweet goodness.

I was very happy with my selection, turned out better than I expected but then again this is my kind of scent. I'm big on fruity scents and cute scents so this was right down my alley. I could see how a lot wouldn't be that into it though. But bottomline if you're a strawberry lover it's worth hunting down.

Edited by silver_springs

Bottle: it's like strawberry candy with something really wrong about it. The kind of strawberry candy that would make you go "YEAH! - hey wait a minute. . . " like the drugged candy of bad strangers in vans with no windows.

Wet: Still very candy-strawberry smell, but not nearly as concentrated in it's syrupy-ness. I guess I don't really know what mimosa is supposed to smell like (drink or flowering tree?)

Dry: It's still candy-sweet but starting to get a bit more balance to it. I'm a bit undecided at the moment, it's nice, but I'm normally not one to smell like candy.

If you like candy scents like I do, be prepared for a massive sugar rush! This doesn't at all come out floral from the mimosa at all on me, but exactly--and I do mean exactly--like grape Bubblicious gum which I absolutely adore and have been a huge fan of since I can remember. For anyone unfamiliar with Bubblicious gum, their strawberry has this watermelon-y thing going on but their grape actually has more of a strawberry-grape flavor. It's also pretty potent, so I won't have to worry about draining my bottle too fast from too much slathering. It's one of those scents that makes you have to really force yourself to remember that it's not edible, heh. I may have submitted a Naughty plea to the Inquisition (Left His Nurse) but I'm so happy to get my Nice counterpart from a generous swapper (you know who you are!) :wub2:

Edited by Invidiana

This smells like artificial, super strong strawberry syrup, but in a good authentic kind of way???? It actually reminds me of a particular japanese candy that i can't quite put my finger on right now. It's very bright, tart and something that a young girl could wear as well. I think this would layer well with the chocolate box scents or maybe even a cakey scent or something that you wanted to change up and brighten? I personally can't wear this by itself since it's OMG strawberry on my skin. But this is a different strawberry than either of the Moon scents or the strawberry that appeared in the chocolate box. Not bad but not me.

Smells like Strawberry Pop Rocks on my skin. I really don't get any Mimosa out of this blend. Very sugary & good throw. One of my favorites from this Inquisition.

I'm beginning to think that Little Bird and I have the exact same skin chemistry.. :think:

When I first put this on my skin and leaned in for a sniff, I actually pulled back in horror.. it smelt nasty. Very, very nasty. Rotten strawberries with a touch of ammonia.

I almost went and washed it off, but I decided to let it dry and see how it would go.. so now, 45 minutes later, it's dried down to a very sweet and artificial strawberry but still very sour.

I too have trouble with strawberry.. neither variations of Strawberry Moon really worked for me, but this is by far the worst one ever for my skin. I envy those of you who are reporting yummy strawberry candy!!

In the bottle: Strawberry bubble gum

Wet: Anything remotely strawberry, orange, or champagne vanishes for about 10 minutes and I get a weird violet scent before the strawberry slowly starts coming back.

Dry down: Very very sweet strawberry candy with that weird violet note in the background every so often.

I like this! On me, it's like a much sweeter Bon Vivant. A party smell. Maybe not a grownup party, but I'm going to a 15 year old's birthday party tonight and it will be perfect.

Sadly, this smelled awesome at first on me--a big blast of strawberry gum!--and then quickly faded into artificial strawberry deodorant :( I usually do well with strawberry scents, so I think it's the mimosa that makes this smell "off."

Origin: decant from an Inquisition circle off-forum

Initial Thoughts: I like strawberry and I like mimosa when it's in bloom.

In the Vial: Very strawberry! Very candy-like with just a bit of "green" backdrop that might make one think of florals or leaves. It's rather powerful as well...I opened the vial to take a sniff, closed it, and am still smelling the fragrance in the air after typing all this.

Wet: Wow...that first clash of strawberry and mimosa is indeed disquieting. It balances somewhat after the initial blast, but the sweet strawberry candy is definitely not blending well with the mimosa. The scent is somewhat jarring and every sniff for the sweetness is just not quite right.

Drydown: I think the mimosa is winning the battle on me, and I'm not sure that's a good thing. The strawberry has turned a bit sour, lurking under the mimosa like something just waiting to turn into full-on scary mode.

Verdict: The scent certainly suits the inspiration. But I don't think my skin is showing it off at its best.

Hot damn, this scent has a lot of throw. I have a feeling that my boyfriend, when he gets home from work, is going to ask where I'm hiding all of the strawberry candy. This is pure artificial strawberry on me; I assume, like others did, that the mimosa is interacting with the strawberry in a way that makes it smell artificial, almost plastic. I'm actually somewhat relieved that this doesn't work on me; I have a bottle of Strawberry Moon, and it suits me just fine.

In Bottle - Powdered strawberry candy, maybe a milkshake mix, even? It's not sour-smelling like a candy might be, it's a lot more mellow of a sweet strawberry--but not exactly creamy.

Wet on Skin, First Applied - Yep, a soft sweet strawberry. Very mellow for me.

Dry, on Skin - The mimosa comes out a bit more as it sits for awhile, gives it a bit of a tang. Smells more like Sweet-Tarts, which I personally am totally okay with. I was worried there would be a smell of alcohol from the inclusion of mimosa (that does mean the mixed drink, right?) but I smell nothing that could be construed as boozy. It's a little fizzy in the same way that Bon Vivant is. I like it a lot!

Overportective Possessed Talking Doll - This is a really bright strawberry-mimosa blend. It's so simple, yet so fun and wonderful! I don't know which note is giving it a touch of bitterness, but I love that part of it! It's got a tartness/bitterness about it that keeps it from being candy-sticky and candy-sweet. It's very strong with a ton of throw. I love it a lot and think it's going to get worn a lot this summer. I wish I had more than a little partial decant, but since that's all I've got, it's good that a little goes a very long way.

GOOD LORD THIS IS STRONG. It's like I've been dropped in a vat of strawberry bubblegum - oh yes, that's it, wild strawberry bubblicious, EXACTLY! This is so pink it's scary. This is pink to the nth degree. And now the mimosa emerges more forceful, very sharp and bitter as always on my skin, and oddly a little sour too, and this is really clashing terribly with the strawberry, so that the whole blend smells incredibly artificial/chemical/plastic.

Egads. It's not morphing, but 1) could it get any worse? I think not and 2)could it morph in a good direction? I doubt it. This is just not something my skin can handle. This is the really bad type of strawberry that is used in the older BPAL blends that is fake and plastic on me, and mimosa is always a sharp, acrid chemical note on me, too, and together they appear to be synergystically evil. I rename this scent Super Artificial Toxic Pink Dye #666.

This also has the throw of Satan but fortunately washes off easily without lingering. Thank god.

:ack: x infinity

Actually, this kinda reminds me to strawberry gum. More specifically, Trident's layers "wild strawberry with tangy citrus", which I happen to have in my purse. The strawberry is sort of fake and plasticky, and the citrus is bright at the beginning and then fades.

BPAL's strawberry note just doesn't seem to want to work with me. Ever.

At first, when I applied this, I smelled the sweet smell of sugarless strawberry bubblegum!!

Yummy and juicy. It makes me want to chew on three pieces at once to blow a huge sugary bubble.

As it dries down, the strawberry calms down a little bit. The mimosa really blends in well with the strawberry note. I can hardly discern one note from the next. Very nice for those who want a strawberry note that is soft and not too sugary.

The throw is medium to low.. but leaning more towards low as it dries down.

Verdict? Strawberry shortcake wished that she smelled this hot!

Wet, this is a super fruity fake strawberry. Kind of like "fruit-by-the-foot" if you've ever tried those. I'm actually kind of liking it at this stage, though I normally don't like that kind of scent. It's 'real' fake, if that makes sense! As it dries, a powdery floral joins the strawberry. It's kind of a dusty, floral-sugar coated tart strawberry blend now, kind of reminiscent of Candy Phoenix now. This is fun, but it's not really something I'd wear. I must go now and find me some fruity candy now. :lol:

Hmmm. The strawberry in the beginning stages is tart, fresh, juicy and probably the most realistic strawberry note I have smelt in a long time. Unfortunately once the mimosa appears it does horrible things. The strawberry immediately turns into a burnt, sugary powder and overpowers anything else this blend may have had to offer.