Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sfsassy

Noisome Clockwork Tin Locomotive

NOISOME CLOCKWORK TIN LOCOMOTIVE
A clamorous collision of scents: wormwood, rum, star anise, vanilla, cognac, peppermint, and green tea with smoke fluid and lubricant.

At first, you can tell there is mint in this one. But with all mint scents, you have to wait for the top notes to pass before you can get the true personality of the scent.

Now that it is dry I can detect the green tea, wormwood and rum....just a hint of vanilla. Not a lot of smoke.
Very wearable. I could see wearing this to work without it bothering anyone.

OMG, I want to hoard multiple bottles of this and wear it all winter. I just love it. My fave of the 4 that I got.But I must add that I LOVE anything anise/wormwood. If you do too, you need to get your paws on this one!!

This was the one Inquisition scent I got during this round. At first, it seems like everything is just blended together in a nice, but unremarkable oil. Boy, was I wrong! Once on my skin, this blossomed into something stunning and sophisticated.

I can pick out individual notes on my skin. The star anise is the 'star' in this blend, but I also can pick out a spicy rum (but it's not overly boozy which is great), vanilla, peppermint (just a hint), and smoky lubricant. Really, I can actually get the smoky oil scent that kind of permeates this and elevates it from really lovely, to simply gorgeous.

I'd love to have another bottle of this eventually. It's really wonderful! I can't stop sniffing my skin!

Edited by scarletgenesis

Locomotive doesn't smell so good on me. It smells weird in the bottle and on my skin at first, sort of like vanilla mints, dust, and taco seasoning (why, I do not know). As it dries down, this smells like the purse of someone who smokes. It smells dirty and ash tray-esque, like someone who tosses cigarettes and mints into their purse to get knocked around and crumbled. It gets a bit of a medicinal edge to it as well, and my hubby said it reminds him of cough syrup. It smells dirty and unpleasant to me :(.

Edited by Little Bird

This one isn't really working for me.. I took a risk with it - hoping I would get the wormwood, rum, star anise, vanilla and cognac, but alas - on my skin it's all peppermint and tea with a smokey and slightly metallic undertone. The anise is *just* there, but hardly noticeable. What a bummer - vanilla and cognac would have been luscious.. BOO to my skin not letting them come out.

It's not unpleasant, but it's not particularly pleasant either - it's just.. disappointing. And actually - it is "clamorous" and "noisome" - it's like this isn't sitting right on my skin, the notes are clashing and just aren't working out.

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

Noisome Clockwork Tin Locomotive

Snap Judgements: I love peppermint scents. I love star anise and vanilla and smoke. This contains so many of my notes-of-win, I couldn't pass it up.

In the Bottle: Vanilla mint. It seems similar to the Lick It collection, but maybe a tiny bit sweeter. I don't get a lot of the other notes yet.

Wet: This smells very much the same as it did in the bottle. There is a lot of really sweet peppermint with maybe just a hint of the star anise.

Dry: Now the green tea pushes forward, lending a slight citrusy undertone to the blend. I can also detect a faint whisper of smoke and what I assume is the lubricant note (it smells oily-metallic), but it's all very subtle. The vanilla and mint are still the dominant notes here. I would like to have gotten a little more of the star anise, but overall I really like it! The throw is very close to the skin on me, but it does get a little stronger as it warms up.

Final Thoughts: What an intriguing scent! I love this for the same reason that I love the newest version of The Fool - mint used in combination with weird notes is apparently the way to my heart. I'm hoping that some of the shy notes darken a little with age, because I do think that this would be really outstanding with a little more depth.

The goblins deemed me Nice in '09!

In the bottle: Gingersnaps, peppermint candy, and... cough syrup? That must be the rum/cognac. Clamorous indeed!

Wet: Minty candy, with a soft (but faint) vanilla undertone. I smell like one of those candy dishes with a whole jumble of stuff in it. The mint is just knocking all the other scents out of its way. I smell the tiniest bit of booze.

Drydown: Oooh. The mint's fading, and some really nice notes are emerging. There's the ginger and the star anise, and a bit of the vanilla and tea. This is becoming very nice.

Later: The mint comes back a little, but it's not as pushy as it was. The sweetness of the vanilla, star anise, and gingersnaps are more apparent. The tea's gone. There may be a bit of rum/cognac, but it's very faint. I never really got much of the smoke.

I really like this when it's dry. It's an intriguing scent--assertive with a touch of sweetness. I will admit that I was afraid this was not going to work at all. Smelling it from the bottle was kind of scary. An olfactory swat on the nose, what with the mint and cough syrup. My husband hated the bottle smell, too--he said it smelled like Robitussin, which he hates. It doesn't work for me when it's wet, either. I was relived that it dried down so pleasantly.

peppermint blast in the bottle! considering I was smelling this blind without the notes, this was a surprise!!

On the skin, definitely the mint is underground. I get the most pleasant wet wood smell with just enough sweetness…all the complexity of the bitter notes of the anise etc in there. This is a beautiful blend! I can't quite describe it...i was worried the wormwood would be too earth or dirty and it's not. i'm a foodie girl! the green tea is not prominent or detectable to me. and i was scared the smoke fluid or lubricant would be just that...tinny or metallic smelling and while you can tell it might be there on dry down, it's needed to keep the scent in check. this is surprisingly lovely....warm, sweet, complex...extremely wearable! i'm shocked!

After initial application, it's heavy peppermint on my skin.

After it begins to slowly dry, I can pick out the anise, vanilla, and the rum, but they are all layered underneath the peppermint.

While the peppermint settles down a little once completely dry, it's still the main note I am smelling on my skin followed by the anise/licorice note.

Hello, mint! And something that smells like burning... Ouch.... I am afraid that this makes me think of one of those smokers that pops peppermints all the time to try and mask the smoke smell.

I am afraid that my skin made this scent go kinda crazy and that it is definitely going to swaps.

Virtually colourless oil. Green, minty, herbal, boozy, metallic! I get a lot of wormwood and peppermint, cognac and star anise, green tea and lubricant (which to me smells metallic, sorta). And then some sweet creamy vanilla to wrap it all up. It surprisingly sweet and well-melded and not nearly as sharp or harsh as the notes might suggest.

Mintier, like a really strong candy cane! The green tea is stronger too, a little astringent, the same note from Shanghai. The cognac is rich boozy deliciousness, the vanilla very creamy without being cloying. I get a hint of mildly buttery rum but thankfully only a hint. The wormwood reminds me a lot of the note in La Fee Verte. Actually this shares other similarities with that blend, too. Something a little smoky...and less metal/lubricant than in the imp.

The star anise is really amping, and it's very lovely and licorice-y here, especially in combo with the wormwood and vanilla which really support it as a sweet, rich note - but without making it cloying. I adore the vanilla in this, it's exactly as vanilla should be, and likewise for the cognac. The peppermint has faded a bit so that this is less strongly mentholic, and the blend is much more balanced as a result. The green tea has smoothed out and lost its astringent edge. I swear I get a little tobacco in this - I think it's responsible for the hint of smoke.

This has faded quite a bit - initially it had powerful throw - and coalesced even further. I think the notes blend very well; the green and spicy notes cut the sweet and boozy notes. This is sort of a masculine La Fee Verte, although the vanilla is so creamy it's really a very unisex scent. It's a lot richer and less bright and pepperminty on final drydown. Not something I would wear myself but I think I would adore it on a man.

Noisome Clockwork Tin Locomotive - This opens up with a super-strong mint-and-anise scent, but quickly dries down to a lovely spiced rum scent backed up with a hint of anise and mint. I can't identify any of the other notes in this blend with the exception of something dark and murky lurking beneath the brighter top notes. This scent has a low level of throw and is fairly subtle on me, but it's really great. It's a fabulous unisex scent. I only wish it were a tad bit stronger. Still Noisome Clockwork Tin Locomotive = :heart:

Edited because I left out a word.

Edited by edenssixthday

This is such an odd blend to me. It starts out with a blast of mint, followed up by a strong green tea note and lubricant, with swirls of wormwood and star anise. It is overall boozy. I feel like this is slightly sweet, somewhat savory and may be too 'masculine' for me.

Deliciousssssssssssssssss!

Holy cow this smells divine. Once applied, it's a blast of minty freshness. The kind of mint you get when you chew on a piece of sweet mint gum. Yummy!

Once it starts to dry down, the mintyness doesn't lose itself at all, but there's a faint trace of vanilla laced anise popping through. And now I smell something a tad boozy. It isn't insanely boozy, but just a lil bit.

The throw is medium, not too strong at all; just enough to smell sweet minty herbal yummyness. I love it!

Verdict? the best tasting drink on a Saturday night

This is so nice and fresh, and doesn't change much from wet to dry. I get peppermint and maaaybe a touch of fruit. The star anise? Anyways, I don't get any green tea, sadly, but it is still a nice blend and would be perfect for summer. I probably don't need a bottle, but will enjoy my imp while it lasts.

My first impression is... bubblegum! As it dries, the star anise comes out more, making this a very nice sweet and minty blend.

Astringent and sinus-clearing! Minty and... old. LOL maybe the lubricant note it making this smell 'old' to me, but very much not a scent I could pull off!

This is a complicated mint at first, cool mint and fruits and something a little boozy. Over time, the fruit aspect of the blend gets stronger, and I'm better able to smell the tea and smoke, lightly. In the end, it's fruit and smoke, pleasant, but a bit weird for me.

Hunh. Unusual. I've been sniffing BPAL perfumes for a looooong time now, and I've tried some weird ones. This is a weird one.

It smells minty, very slightly alcoholic, a little bit powdery, and weirdly hazy. Imma let that mint burn off before I form my overall opinion because it's a bit sinus-clearing at the moment. Hmmmm... yeah, it's not really burning off. In fact, it seems to be getting more intense. When it's dry it's not entirely minty -- there's something else under there, but I'm not sure what it is.

Sometimes, weird really works for me. Licwiglunga is the perfect example -- weird as hell but awesome. Sadly it's not really working for me in this one.

Oh my God, this one is amazing! ON the bottle (around the edge where the cap sits), it smells like star anise and peppermint. It clears the sinuses and leaves a tingle on the tongue. I LOVE IT.

And then, IN the bottle, it smells like RUM and peppermint. The mint and anise really roll around and mingle beautifully. Very bright and spicy in completely aggressive way.

On me, it’s green tea and wormwood. And... not in a bad way, at all. It's light and deep and very refreshing. I am ALL OVER THIS.

I just want to roll in it. Seriously.

I get mint, anise, something perfumey (possibly the tea) and cognac. Just like Boneshaking Antique Velocipede this is one of the weirder blends of Bpal. The notes work surprisingly well together though.

Noisome Clockwork Tin Locomotive ends up as sweet cognac, anise, a hint of rum and a curl of vanilla. It's warm and spicy. Actually not as weird as the notes suggest.

This scent is delightfully unique: fresh and slightly cacophonous but in a fun way. The mint and tea are prominent, vanilla is a supporting player rounding off the edges, lubricant sort of surfaces and slips away. The anise is warm and herbal, quite restrained in my opinion, and I would love more of it. I'm not getting much of from the liquor notes. You can kinda smell a smell like a smoke machine in the mix, it's got that humid smell, but it's not smoky. 

Nostalgic, fun, low throw.