Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Chapanis

Boneshaking Antique Velocipede

BONESHAKING ANTIQUE VELOCIPEDE
A clacking, rickety concoction comprised of cucumber, purple sage, tonka bean, black coconut, redwood, and teak.

In the bottle: Interesting. Something on first sniff reminds me of Antikytheria Mechanism. Something similar and yet different. Maybe it is the teak or tonka? I like teak and tonka. I can also get some cucumber and coconut sweetening it up.
First on I get cucumber and the woods... then the coconut comes out with the tonka.
On the drydown it melds together into a lovely and unusual scent. The purple sage never does surface.

Sniffing this in the bottle, my husband said that it smelled like cinnamon and celery. I can definitely smell the redwood in the bottle, like a soft, sweet woods smell, and also something spicy, with a little bit of cucumber. I don't get that spiciness once the oil is on my skin, though, it just has a nice warmth to it.

On my skin, I get lots of dry, warm, almost incensey woods, sweetness, and cucumber. The coconut note is sweet without smelling at all like a dessert or suntan lotion, and the tonka adds more of a perfumey sweetness than a foodie one. I *really* love the cucumber note in this. It adds a fresh, crisp, pale green edge to the blend that's so pretty. The cucumber really lifts up the other notes and calms down the sweetness.

Warm, soft woods, perfumey sweetness, and a sparkly, fresh edge from the cucumber. Boneshaking Antique Velocipede really well-blended, unique, and lovely. My husband said that it smells pretty, like clouds, on me, lol.

This is an unusual scent but lovely!

In the bottle is a lovely wet cucumber mixed with either tonka or teak. It's kind of what I wanted Squirting Cucumber to be since it's more complex. Fresh, light green, bright....like watery celery but a hint of spices or something to make it interesting.

It's a great scent to spill all over yourself and it smells clean yet interesting..the cucumber goes away on the skin and the supporting woody notes come out..reminds me of one of the original shungas. Very wearable and pretty. The DH really liked this on me. It reminds me of a japanese onsen bath with the typical japanese bath salt smells with heightened wet cypress.

Wet on my skin, cucumber.

As it dries, it sweetens a little and I pick up more of the wood notes with the cucumber.

This is an odd scent and I am not quite sure yet what I think of it.

Wet-Lovely light fresh cucumber. Just a touch of teak, enough to stop this becoming cucumber cleansing milk.

As it dries the cucumber disappears leaving the wood notes plus something creamy.don't recognise this as coconut but it's good.

This one is going into my top 10.

Now, that is odd - and clattering - and it mostly gives me the impression of a fuzzy purple cucumber, which sounds terrible but I know what I mean. On, it's spicy and intriguing and surprisingly green - not bright green, but a dark, earthy, growing gree. I suspect the sage. It's a little mysterious and makes me think of someone biking wobbily around an English garden. And it also smells a little bit of purple candy. The dust on grape gum, without the gum behind it, really. It's unidentifiable as a whole, but appealing, sweet, herbal and airy at once, while still reminding me of purple things growing from wet ground (without smelling in the least like dirt). I think the woods are making me think of earth, somehow, and I think that black coconut is in Tiki King, isn't it? I wonder if there's a distant similarity.

I think I like this a lot because it smells wonderful, but no one would ever think it was perfume.

I took a risk on this one - cucumber and purple sage didn't really appeal to me but the tonka bean, black coconut, redwood and teak combo did! So I just had to give it a try :D

What a strange little blend.. it is a rickety concoction indeed! The cucumber's actually quite nice here.. it's fresh and light, and gives the whole thing a very clean and crisp feel, and the sage is adding a hint of peppery mint. The redwood and teak are definitely present, and definitely true to form - this isn't a 'brown' wood base like you might get with oak or a darker wood - it's totally a red. I can't really distinguish the coconut and tonka bean separately - I know they're in there, because there's a sweet tone to everything - but on my skin the cucumber and woods are more dominant.

The longer it stays on my skin, the nicer it gets - the tonka bean comes out much better after a while and it sweetens up beautifully - even goes a little creamy - very pretty. This is really quite unique, I would never have thought that cucumber and sage would work with the tonka, coconut and woods, but it really does. A very clever blend and quite lovely.

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

This turned out to be one of the best Christmas gifts this year (to accompany the GREATEST XXL Naughty T-Shirt EVER)

From the Bottle: Truly an escapist's scent. Upon first breathing in Boneshaking Antique Velocipede from the opened neck, there is a NICE, clean element that brings about an affliction of whimsy...

There is black licorice's lustre, indulgent cocoa, a brilliant spark of citrus peel, and an entire punch-bowl filled with chilled, garden fresh cucumber...

There is this ear-popping teleportation to a Victorian parlour where fancy sweets are enjoyed over teatime.

Wet on skin, Leather and Coconut appear, bringing yet another stratum of surreal to the whole experience and enveloping one's whole person in slapstick yumminess...

After wearing a while, all of the elements come together and intensify into a carmelized sweetness... Plus, it evolves further!

Imagine subtle notes of Black-walnut spritzed with blood and an "artificial" scent; kind of like a new, inflatable plastic swimming pool... And the picture begins to develop...The other party present at the tea-parlor was found out as an android!

*GASP!*

Overall, Boneshaking Antique Velocipede is an awe inspiring scent that should be coveted by all... And, perhaps, find itsself a permanent residence in Phoenix Steamworks?

*nudge, nudge*

The sagacity of the brains behind Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs will be long applauded here in this heart and the world over.

Boneshaking Antique Velocipede - Oh hello, my old friends, Cucumber and Sage! I recall again why I love you so much.

This is such a pretty little scent. It totally took me by surprise how much I like it. The scent is a strong, summery cucumber and sage scent that is bright and sweet and earthy, yet has a level of depth brought to it by the darker, heavier tonka, coconut, and woods. It's so pretty I can't even put into words. I know this was a Naughty and Nice Inquisition scent, but to me, there's nothing wintery about it at all. It's summery and earthy and airy and just so pretty. The throw is moderate for the first hour or so, and then it fades, which is the only sucky part of this scent. My skin just eats it up. But otherwise, it's wonderful and I :heart: it.

On the skin: Cucumber and woods! Quite interesting. Definitely very earthy and kinda summery.

Later on: Whoa, this starts to smell like a salad. Yep, a tasty salad.

My skin does strange things with this scent....

Light slightly peachy golden oil. Cucumber! Loads and loads of cucumber with a soft herbal sage note, a fair bit of dry, dark teak and a little redwood...not getting tonka clearly, and the coconut is light. Softly sweet. Much nicer, gentler, and more composed than I expected.

Still veryy cucumbery, deliciously fresh and aquatic and green and juicy - perhaps the most cucumbery BPAL I've ever smelled! The coconut is unfortunately a little more apparent, but it's still not too bad, and it's much less foody than other coconut notes. Same note from Tiki King. More redwood, which gives this is a woodsy freshness that goes really well with the cucumber - sage reminds light, and I get only a wink of tonka.

Oh wow, this is evolving beautifully! The redwood - an underused note I adore - is amping, which gives this a cool deep forest sort of feel, while the still-strong juicy, very green cucumber makes me think of heavy cool shade from green leaves. This is the one of the most wearable sages, not harsh, just a little masculine hint of herb.

The teak and coconut add an exotic feel (meh); the teak makes this warmer and richer (boo) and the coconut makes this creamy and seems to have absorbed the tidbit of tonka to add a bit of sweetness. I'd love this without those last two notes. Apparently this is also making my skin itch and react...eek.

This is itching REALLY badly; must wash off. Also, the coconut was amping further and further, and the teak too - becoming far too tropical, warm and sweet for me. The tonka was exceptionally well-behaved at least, as was the sage. I'm sad this doesn't work because the cucumber and redwood are so gorgeous here (and remain strong!) and this is a really beautifully blended unisex scent. Good throw, too.

Edited by fairnymph

This one was one I had the most conflicted feelings about. I do get loads of cucumber on wet, and then it totally morphs. I get a sage, slight bit of coconut and then woods. My skin eats this up.

But oh, if the cucumber had ONLY stayed around...

Dood seriously... every single inquisition scent has been amazingly made of win!

I LOVE this one! I can really pinpoint a lot of the notes in this one.

Once applied, I smell yummy cucumber, coconut, redwood AND teak. The sage is making it green and herbal, the tonka is sweetening it up. It's uni-sexual and the throw is medium. I bet this would smell amazing on the man as well; mainly because of the redwood. Redwood isn't a note that I usually like, but I will take an exception on this one ;)

Verdict? Bath and Body works aint got nuffin on this cucumber scent!

Wet, I'm getting lots of fresh cucumber and a touch of wood. As it dries, the cucumber fades into the background, and this is becoming rather masculine, which is what certain woods sometimes does to me. There's a nice wood here, which I'm guessing is the redwood. This is adding to the masculine quality of the blend, though this is really quite unisex. I think if the tonka was out a bit more, it would be more wearable to me, as it is a bit too masculine for me. As it is, it fades pretty fast anyways.

Edited by milo

What a weird, weird blend. I had to try it. I definitely get cucumber and woods at first (definitely reminds me of Antikythera Mechanism in all the good ways), but then TONKA! It becomes the TONKA! show for a while, and is very, very, very strong. When that settles down (a few hours into wear) I really enjoy it. The cucumber doesn't seem to totally vanish, and there's a slight coldness from the sage (though if I didn't know there was sage in here, I'd never pick it out) and what I think must be the coconut.

I had been expecting something a bit colder, but this might actually be a winter scent (go figure). The TONKA! phase is perfumey as hell and borderline nauseating, but the scent a few hours in might be worth toughing it out. It's certainly unique enough to warrant a lot of consideration.

Wet, this smells like herby wood, but with a green-ness to it. Then it dries down to a powdery cucumber. I'm not sure which note in there doesn't like me, but something for sure doesn't. I thought this would be whimsical and cute and fun, but it's powdery and odd and jarring. Oops. Can't win 'em all.

ITI: Wow, it's a very cool scent. I get coconut and cucumber - nummy.

Wet: Hmm, it's sweet and slightly green from the cumber. The tonka and teak are a neat combination with the coconut, which emerges stronger as it dries.

Dry: It's muskily sweet - coconut tonka, and teak with just a hint of cucumber. Sadly, the sage never shows, but it's still a wearable foody scent with a bit of intrigue to it.

In the bottle: Coconut. Closer to fresh coconut than toasted coconut.

On skin, wet: Little bit of coconut and a touch of something green, but the latter is still too faint to make out clearly.

On skin, dry: It's just a touch suntan-lotion-y, but still quite nice. Mostly it's coconut, and the hint of green has come out just enough for me to say it's definitely cucumber.

After an hour: No change from the initial drydown. It's not quite what I was hoping for (coconut, tonka and woods) but it's definitely interesting.