Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

TIN PHOENIX
A malleable, pale metal with a flexible, crystalline structure that speaks out with a thunderous voice when bent or shaken. It is representative of the breath of life and the storminess of the spirit.

Pale metals, crackling ozone, hyssop, white mint, tonka, and lemongrass.

With a little bit of trepidation I try the Tin Phoenix. Some of the listed notes don't always play well with me.

A white scent, and there's a slight sharpness to it. Maybe not so slight; there are definitely some high sharp things going on. It's airy and high. I can pick out the lemongrass, but, it isn't too TOO far forward. Yet. Darn, there it goes.
Darn skin chemistry. Lemongrass sharp enough to cut myself on.

Dabbed on a piece of paper, the scent stays more blended: white, airy, and crystaline.

In the bottle: Mint and ozone, with a hint of sweetness from the tonka.

Wet: Now the hyssop and lemongrass make their presence known! And more of the mint. The ozone is keeping it somewhat light and airy, but not enough. There's a metallic hint of the tin that's light and fleeting.

The dry-down: The hyssop and lemongrass are too too overwhelming. What happened to my beloved ozone, that's what I want to know. I liked this in the bottle, so going to try my scent locket for this.

Lemon candy! :yum: This comes out like a true lemon lollipop on me at first; no sharp nasty lemongrass like some unpleasant candle experiences I've had. As it dries down further, it softens somewhat and there is a soft, "clean" background that reminds me of fabric softener or laundry detergent--and this in my eyes is a good thing because I love that smell. So it's lemon lollipops and snuggly fabric softener in the end. When I bike laps around the neighborhood I always go faster if I smell one of the neighbors doing the wash just to pass by their house again asap!

*Keep in mind, I have skin that sweetens most scents, so if yours doesn't and you're wary of lemongrass, you may want to try a decant first.

Edited by Invidiana

When first applied, it smells just like pledge on me. As it dries down it becomes more of a very sweet/candy-ish scent that has a very low level of intensity. I'm not very fond of lemon scents, so there isn't a bottle of this anywhere in my future.

So I bought a bottle of this (along with Copper) because I thought the notes looked to interesting to pass up. I really figured this had a good shot of not working on me but I was wrong!

In bottle: Super strong lemon. I love lemon scents but it was a bit much.

Wet: Pretty much same as bottle.

Drydown: Oh yeah the lemon calms down a lot and the ozone comes in. I never got any mint.

I am always impressed by how accurate the labs description can be sometimes. This is exactly what I would imagine Tin Phoenix to smell like. Pale metals hits the mark. This is very light, it sticks to the skin pretty much. It was oh-so-lovely on me. I'm not disappointed at all. I will keep the bottle and use it often. Ultimately it stays mostly a lemon scent so I think if you do well with those you'll like this a lot.

Edited by silver_springs

This was all lemongrass for the first hour, very warming and uplifting and herbal and more or less what I remember wanting Arcana to smell like.

It seriously took something like three hours for this to fully settle on my skin and stop changing. It's predominantly a lemongrass scent, but with a metallic, airy feel to it. The ozone is there and very pretty - I tend to get along well with ozone, and this is no exception. Somehow the tonka manages to keep this from turning into lemon pledge, but it doesn't smell like candy on me either (and my skin is megasweet). I've never really smelled anything quite like this before, so I'm having a difficult time with it. It's herbal, metallic, uplifting, pretty, and androgynous. I like it.

The bottle artwork is really pretty too.

In the bottle: Sharp lemon and a slight ozone note that tickles the nose. The label on this bottle is very well done.

On skin: At first, it smells a bit Thai food on me. Like smelling the lemongrass in a Thai food restaurant. The ozone is there and I get a medicine type herb, which I think is the hyssop. My skin usually reacts bad to essential oil of hyssop, but it this blend, my skin has no reaction.

Later: Very fresh bright lemon. But a natural thick herbal lemon. And a blast of fresh lightning ozone. Doesn't last the longest time, but it is a nice pick me up and the lemongrass note doesn't smell fake or candlelike. I can start to detect a metal note. Nice. I got a bit of the tonka and mint too towards the end. It takes a while to build up on me and it isn't a letdown.

Verdict: A keeper. I bought this to wear when I do rituals for Tinia. It seemed very fitting.

Edited by Madame Nyx

Wet, Tin Phoenix is very similar to Whitechapel (and Lush's Avobath) to me.

As it dries, it turns into something slightly more sophisticated, and there is something masculine and cologne-y there. Quite a nice surprise, and lasts forever!

I was really excited for this scent, as the description reminded me of Metal Phoenix, but when I noticed lemongrass in the notes I was sort of wary. I have this tendency to amp lemongrass like crazy. Thankfully, testing Tin Phoenix, it looks like I've dodged that bullet. The lemongrass is noticeable as a lemony tang, but it's not at all overwhelming or cloying on me, as it often is in blends (like Namaste).

Tin Phoenix reminds me of a more masculine/citrusy and less sweet Metal Phoenix. The metallic note is exactly the same, but the undernotes are very different. It does smell very tinny to me, exactly what I'd expect of a tin-themed blend, and almost like a nice men's cologne. It is more masculine than I expected. I like masculine blends myself, so I have no qualms about wearing it (and I will wear it, it's really lovely), but if you're not into that kind of thing, it might not be for you. There's nothing girly at all about this one.

Overall it's a winner, and I'm so glad the lemongrass didn't crazily amp on me!

This reminds me slightly of Violet Ray, which must be the white mint which isn't precisely "minty," more light and herbal.

Like Gold Phoenix, this is a very light, citrussy metallic scent. But where the ambers in Gold Phoenix gave it a perfumey edge, to my nose, this is more airy and almost a little cologney-masculine. It reminds me of the sort of scent used for fresh, unisex bath products, which isn't a bad thing per se, but isn't really what I was hoping for.

Tin Phoenix - This is lovely. It's bright, clean, crisp, cool, and sweet. I love the way the mint and lemongrass sweeten up the metals and the way the ozone gives it a crisp quality. The hyssop gives it the faintest touch of floral and the tonka deepens the scent to keep it from being too bright. Both the throw and staying power are below average on me. I think this would smell fantastic on a guy, too.

i got this as part of a set of anniversary decants - something i would not have ordered separately on its own, based on the concept or the notes, but i've been going down the list in order starting with gold, and today is tin's turn, so here goes! it's the kind of day that i could use a wake-me-up oil, too....

wet: LEMONGRASS!!! (which is pretty.)

dry: for some reason, though they don't have notes in common, this has a similar feel to oberon on me. i'm thinking sharp lemongrass + creamy tonka is sort of analogous to sharp bergamot + creamy orchid. unlike oberon, it doesn't go so sour and heavy on me that i can't enjoy it.

i would actually expect a lot of positive reviews to keep rolling in from those who love the clean, fresh scent category (though the tonka gives this a richness; it's not what i like to call a "fat free" scent).

Hyssop! My sweet, sweet friend :) I think that's the note that made me love Gennivre so much and it is in full force here. Light, seet, completely wearable on the days I'm feeling so happy I'm light as air. Clear and light like the shimmering reflection you get off water or metal. Soooo happy I got this one!

Mm, this is bright and fresh and very light. I get the lemongrass and just a touch of bright metal, somewhat like a lemon cleaner, but in a good way. I really like this, but have refreshing blends a lot like this one that I like better (Embalming Fluid, I'm looking at you!) Still this is a win, and would be great in the summer months.

This starts out as Proshitapathika light - *super* herbal lemon. As it dries the herbal lemon lighten up & make way for a clear metal & ozone notes. There's something keeping it grounded. This will be lovely in the summertime.

Lemongrass, shiny metal and a swirl of ozone. It dries down to a metallic, manfume, which makes me think that perhaps BPAL's metal note is too aggressively masculine on me, especially on the drydown.

In the bottle: Air, metal, citrus.

Wet: Lemony, a touch of metal and some bright herb. It is very refreshing, cheering.

Half an hour: There's something perhaps like white musk in this. I'm getting the faint crittery note. The last time or two I had that, it wasn't so intense as some of the early times. It does always seem to appear in scents with a lemony note; I wonder if there is a connection there.

One hour: The crittery note is stronger now. I'd say it's vying for supremacy with the citrusy note, and the metal notes are right behind. This is still refreshing, but there's an element in it that makes me stop, look back, and reassess.

Two hours: Still that crittery impression with ozone, metal, bright herb, and citrus. I like it, and it's very eye-opening, but I'm still uneasy with that crittery note. Wish I could figure out once and for all what that note is!

Three hours: Very metallic/ozone now. This is not a realm where I do well, but it's still managing to be wearable. The citrus and bright herb are there still, which is probably what makes the difference on my skin.

Four hours: The crittery note has calmed down, and the edge is off the metallic/ozone. What's left is more like hyssop than anything else, i.e., a slightly bitter green herbal note. I never did get much in the way of tonka on this one.

gahhhhh.... I love this! At first, it smelled like sweet lemony candy, but before too long, the pale metals, the ozone, & the white mint came out and WOW... So clean smelling, so fresh... I can't wait to order a bottle of this!

In the bottle and on my skin at first, this is sour lemongrass and cool mint. Lemongrass smells kinda off on me when I first put it on (sort of like dead fish and herbs :/). I was expecting this to be soapy, thanks to the ozone, but the blend doesn't go soapy on me at all. I think that I can smell the "pale metals," as there's this cool, metallic edge to the blend that's actually very soft and pleasant.

I don't generally care for lemongrass, but the note does get sweeter, creamier, and more pleasant on me in the drydown, as its sour/gross edge disappears.

As this dries down, it's a very gentle, cool sort of scent that's unlike any of the other metal scents that I've tried. The cool, air-y, metal smell here is really beautiful and interesting... it really smells like cold air somehow.

I don't like the initial blast of lemongrass, but the drydown of this is beautiful. I think that I'll keep my decant, and maybe set Tin Phoenix aside as a scent for my husband to wear.

Edited by Little Bird

Origin: Frimp in an Inquisition Circle

Initial Thoughts: the description seemed like it would be too ozone-y for me. But never look a gift frimp in the mouth!

In the Vial: Lemongrass fizzing with energy from the ozone.

Wet: Lemon shot through with mint. The ozone has calmed down for the moment, but still adds a very airy feel to the scent.

Drydown: Not a great deal of morph on me other than the mint fading somewhat.

Verdict: The lemongrass overpowers my nose. This will get passed on.

Decant: lemongrass over ozone. loving so far

Wet on Me: now I get a faint metal with the lemongrass and ozone. Spring comes to the foundry!

Drying Down: this all seems to blend and morph into a soap scent at this point.

Dry: Soap. This starts out so fresh and wonderful and then morphs into a clean soap.

Woo!

Tried this out yesterday, and the first impression is these ultra-bastard sour jawbreakers that they sell at one of the shops down in Chinatown. Lemon so sharp you might actually fall over if you happen to pop one in your mouth expecting something else (true story - I thought it was gum). Anyway, the lemon kick departs relatively quickly on me (unfortunately) and shares air time with the mint and something effervescent I'm assuming is the ozone (I can't identify ozone as a separate note for the life of me). Then about an hour and a half after that, it fades down to something that reminds me a lot of Torture Queen. That sort of generic "clean and fresh" perfume smell, only without the musk to anchor it.

I really wish the lemon / mint / herbal / fizz stage lasted longer.

In the bottle and on my skin, this smells of LEMONGRASS!! A high, sharp, metallic ozone-y LEMONGRASS. Whoa. The LEMONGRASS sticks around for about an hour, but after it fades there is a beautiful sweet and slightly musky scent left behind. I think it's the tonka playing very well with the metals and hyssop. Unexpected love!