Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
emily2531

I want a "soapy" scent

I find that I actually tend to like the scents that others often describe as "soapy". I was thinking that I might actually like an oil that really smelled like soap. I don't like aquatics or ozone, and I don't really want it to smell too green or minty or piney. I was thinking a light soapy white floral with white musk and/or maybe a little sandalwood (like Ivory or Dove or Camay soap bars).

So, Ladies and Gentlemen, what are your soapiest recommendations? Thank you! :)

Edited by Soledad

I find that I actually tend to like the scents that others often describe as "soapy". I was thinking that I might actually like an oil that really smelled like soap. I don't like aquatics or ozone, and I don't really want it to smell too green or minty or piney. I was thinking a light soapy white floral with musk or maybe a little sandalwood (like Ivory or Dove or Camay soap bars).

Edited by HamletsKeeper

Thanks for the suggestions. For those who have tried Wensleydale and Dirty, can you describe the differences? The Lab's descriptions are so similar, and I read through the reviews but I'm still not sure what the difference is.

Wensleydale: An immaculately clean scent: well-scrubbed soapy skin and fresh cotton.

Dirty: A fresh, crisp white linen scent: perfectly clean, perfectly breezy.

Is Dirty more of a laundry soap or dryer sheet smell and Wensleydale more of a soapy skin scent? So many of the reviews say they smell similar but Dirty was sometimes described as "sharp" and Wensleydale seemed to have references to flowers. But Dirty was also often described as a scented soap smell. And Wensleydale was often described as being sweeter than Dirty.

Creature Feature (at Dark Delicacies right now) is quite soapy to me. In the cleanest, muskiest way possible... and best of all, it doesn't end up smelling like the detergent aisle. :)

I recommend scents that prominently feature lily, or lily of the valley/muguet-- most people tend to find those soapy. Lily of the Valley especially-- it's a scent that's often used in generic soap, so the two tend to be associated with each other.

Thanks for the suggestions. For those who have tried Wensleydale and Dirty, can you describe the differences? The Lab's descriptions are so similar, and I read through the reviews but I'm still not sure what the difference is.

Wensleydale: An immaculately clean scent: well-scrubbed soapy skin and fresh cotton.

Is Dirty more of a laundry soap or dryer sheet smell and Wensleydale more of a soapy skin scent? So many of the reviews say they smell similar but Dirty was sometimes described as "sharp" and Wensleydale seemed to have references to flowers. But Dirty was also often described as a scented soap smell. And Wensleydale was often described as being sweeter than Dirty.

Dirty is less *soap* to my nose and more clean, maybe some white floral in there? Ill have to test it again to be sure. Wensleydale has a sweeter touch to it, a little more soapiness, and was ultimately the one that won the standoff for me =)

I haven't tried Wensleydale, but Dirty smells like clean laundry to me, as opposed to skin soap.

Of the blends I recently tried, Lilium Inter Spinas was extremely soapy on me. I am not usually a person who finds that lily always goes soapy on them, so I was a bit disappointed since I'm not that big on soap. But maybe you'd like it!

Apple of Sodom smelled almost exactly like generic laundry detergent on me, but I don't know if that's duplicatable on someone else's skin.

dirty does not smell soapy to me, it's very clean and brisk but not soapy.

numb on the other hand is all soap. in a good way.

I might come back and edit if I think of others, but the v first blend that popped into my mind was White Moon '06, which shouldn't be hard to find at all on the swaps forum. The notes are: These are the blossoms of loss and liberation, soothed by the calm, comforting scent of sandalwood : lilac, calla lily, wisteria, white sandalwood, moonflower, night musk, phlox, and violet.

I feel that Mr. Ibis can also be a bit soapy. Notes are: Papyrus, vanilla flower, Egyptian musk, African musk, aloe ferox, white sandalwood.

Edited by devilot

I find that I actually tend to like the scents that others often describe as "soapy". I was thinking that I might actually like an oil that really smelled like soap. I don't like aquatics or ozone, and I don't really want it to smell too green or minty or piney. I was thinking a light soapy white floral with white musk and/or maybe a little sandalwood (like Ivory or Dove or Camay soap bars).

Floater from the "Who Killed Amanda Palmer?" line sounds just like what you're describing! It reminds me of a cross between Dove soap and Oil of Olay face lotion, and I love it for that reason.

Most of the BPAL "ozone" and "aquatic" scents just smell like dryer sheets or laundry detergent on me, but Floater is a lovely, gentle, feminine, soapy-in-a-good-way scent.

ETA: From the GC, you might try The Lady of Shalott:

The Lady of Shalott
(Ars Amatoria) - The scent of calm waters just before a raging storm, limned with achingly-beautiful blooms, an icy scent, but somehow warm, and mirror-bright: bold gardenia, crystalline musk, muguet, water blossoms, clear, slightly tart aquatic notes and a crush of white ginger.

I haven't tried it in a long time, but I remember it reminded me a bit of Dove soap on the dry-down.

Edited by Apple

Yesterday I was going through some of my stash and found several bottles I'd hoarded of Neptune. Tried a dab on my wrist and was reminded of why I bought this oil -- it is UBER-SOAPY! (I like "soapy," when it's done well.)

Another one that I find very soapy is Come to Me. After it dries down, it smells almost exactly like Camay soap.

For bar-of-soap smells, I'd say anything with rose, because that's what it smells like on my skin. :rofl: But there have been quite a few "clean" scents that I liked, most of which don't necessarily seem like "clean" scents from the descriptions...

Szepasszony: Clear, airy notes, slashing rain, and a thin undercurrent of white flowers. Smelled very fresh and clean to me, though more like shampoo than soap. Very pretty.

51: Green mandarin, neroli, honeydew, white amber, guava, freesia, white and green musks hovering over desert scrub, smashed wood, and the dry, biting scent of night air over the Groom Lake salt flats. Another one that reminded me of shampoo. I described it as a still-dripping, fresh-out-of-the-shower smell.

Black Lily: Breathtaking darkness, a vision of grace in shadow. Soapy, but again more of a pretty scented soap or shampoo.

Aelopile: Glowing amber and citrus, labdanum, verbena, cedar, and oud. This one morphed a lot on me, ranging from woodsy Lemon Pledge to laundry detergent to a simple clean skin scent.

Rosalind: Dew-covered berries and fresh green grasses with a faint breath of spring flowers. Clean, soapy, and floral.

Sea of Glass: A scent of inimitable purity, crystalline grace, and limitless light. On me, it's similar to soap and fabric softener at first, but dries down to a lovely lilac scent. Still quite fresh and clean even in the lilac stage.

Vinland: Crisp northern wind blowing over loganberry, wild roses, prairie crocus, iris versicolor Linné, mountain avens, yellow birch bark, mayflower and maple leaf. I likened it to Lever 2000. A very masculine soap smell.

Amsterdam: Tulips, peony, fresh flowing water and crisp green grasses. Soapy but in a generic aquatic-note kind of way.

The Apothecary: Tea leaf with three mosses, green grass, a medley of herbal notes, and a drop of ginger and fig. I described it as "soapy. Not floral soapy, but decorative pink spicy soaps or perhaps body lotion of some sort." But it's definitely a darker and earthier soap rather than clean, fresh soap.

Bayou: Spanish moss, evergreen and cypress with watery blue-green notes and an eddy of hothouse flowers and swamp blooms. I described it as "small shell-shaped floral soaps that you find in porcelain bowls in a fancy guest bathroom. It also reminds me strongly of shampoo."

Psychological Horror: Traditional mid-20th century musk with something not quite right lying underneath. Soapy, sweet floral mixed with baby powder, which was nice at first but the musk made it smell kind of weird after awhile.