Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jizatt

Snow Scents!

How about a necro bump? Recs for a snow or Yule scent minus the wintergreen/vapor rub/menthol note/s of doom??:-P

Even though it will be a while before my yule decants arrive, I'm still anixous to test them. I've been "burned" by the minty snow note appearing in blends where I didn't expect it, so I have learned not to blind-buy bottles until I can read reviews and/or test decants. I'll look back through the lists and pick out my faves amongst the non-mints.

There's three snow notes that the Lab seems to use. There's the minty note, the sweetish note, and the icy/ozone note. These ideas are based on not only my own experience w/ the snowy notes, but much that I have read here on the forum.

This is a WiP.

The sweetish snow note for sure shows up in Snow White--to me, it's almost like a sweet coconut scent. Others say that it's like vanilla, as in The Waltz of the Flowers (which also has lot of mint). Go To Sleep, Darlings is in this category and Pink Snowballs.

Skadi, Ice Queen, and Onoduris all have some of the minty note in them to various degrees, but not hugely so. Nuclear Winter has always been a blast of the minty snow note, for me, but w/ some ozone as well. Cloister Graveyard in the Snow is also very minty and so is Braving the Ice. Like Brooms of Steel is very minty to start with. The Garden in Winter and Colder and Colder are minty as well.

The Lick It series is always peppermint and vanilla, so it's like two of the snow notes in one bottle. I love this series, and so does the bf. :)

I get the icy ozone note in Countess Dolingen of Gratz, one of my fav snow scents ever, even if it's a Halloweenie. :) Also in Purple Snowballs, Autumn and Winter (very sharp), Black Ice, A Cold, Clear Day, and the 2010 version of Midwinter's Eve.

There's scents where the ozone and mint notes seem to combine: Moon of Ice, Death-Fires Dancing Over the Tombs, Cloth of Gold, Numb, and Yellow Snowballs.

The 2010 version of Winter-Time was a morpher and had all 3 snow notes!

Almond Blossom has a little of the ozone note and a tiny bit of the sweet snow note.

How about a necro bump? Recs for a snow or Yule scent minus the wintergreen/vapor rub/menthol note/s of doom??:-P

The current Yule offering Winter-Time is a nice vanilla mint that conveys the idea of quiet snowfall really well. Without being too sharp or mentholy in my opinion, and as far as I recall there is no evergreen in it. I have only tried the 2010 version, but I assume this year's is similar :smile:

Of other snow scents that are soft and non-sharp I can recommend Pink Snowballs (if you like rose) and Go to Sleep, Darlings.

Is all mint problematic for you? What have you tried so far?

I like spearmint and most mint but not wintergreen and I'm shy with eucalyptus but I love Ultraviolet so go figure! I cannot recall Yule's I've sniffed except Snow White which I loved and Jolasveinar, which I liked. I love the Carpathian Mt. so evergreen is fine, I love fir, pine, spruce, and juniper.

I just want to avoid smelling like I'm wearing Ben Gay or Icy Hot arthritis ointments!

I like cold, e.g. Urania and ozone is okay but strong white florals scare me. Narcissus and lily in small amounts are okay.

Edited by sprout

More meta on snowy scents!

Winter Heavens has the ozone note. Dust of Snow is mostly icy ozone. The Shivering Boy has a hint of ozone ice. Woods in Winter is icy. Pale Student of Unhallowed Arts is sweet ozone. The Country of Eternal Light has ozone, but it's overshadowed by the lichen.

Snowball Fracas has the minty snow note that doesn't combine well w/ dirt. Talvikuu is minty snow, but I did like that version of the snow note in this. Hpothermia is cool mint all the way. Snow-Flakes is a sweet mint.

A Torrent of Light has both ozone and mint.

Evening Cicadas and Red Peppers has the sweet snow note.

And that's the end of the snowy Yules that I can find my reviews for. More meta later!

Here is my all inclusive list -- if you think I left one out, let me know and Ill get it added

Cold Moon (Lunacy 2004) - The Full Moon that shines over the frost-rimed heart of winter. Traditional lunar oils combined with glittering snow flowers, soft breezes and frozen ferns.

Frost Moon (Lunacy 2004) - A blend of traditional lunar oils frozen with winter mints, shivering eucalyptus, clear lotus, a gust of wind, and a midnight aquatic note.

Havisham (2004) - This is the scent of a frost-limed wedding bouquet, frozen forever in time.

Ice Queen (Yule 2004) - blend of precious pale musks, brittle winter blossoms, spruce, and frozen winter fruits

Queen of Diamonds (Forum 2004) - A glittering icicle of a woman, regal, proud and cold: shimmering white grapefruit, pale flowers and lemon bark with orchid, rose and a dash of mandarin.

Skadi (Yule 2004) - Frost-rimed winter berries, crisp pine needle, and a slush of bright snowy notes.

Wolf Moon (Lunacy 2004) - This is the dead of winter, the year's dark hibernation, the crystalline silence of the depths of the world's darkness

Numb (2005) - a singularly chilly, delectably ice-rimmed perfume; gelid polar frostiness

Snow Moon (Lunacy 2005) - A scent of purity and silence, soft with falling snow, as dark as Midwinter: an icy flurry over the winter blooms of narcissus, pansy crocus, dahlia, tulip, chrysanthemum and white rose, with a hint of fir and birch.

Talvikuu (Yule 2005) - Skeletal limbs of birch and fir coated in a thick, impenetrable blanket of snow

Black Ice (Yule 2006) - chilly white sleet-like notes with a hint of vetiver, a breath of smoky asphalt, and winter wind

Carpanthian Mountains (Order of the Dragon 2006) - Mountain air and the scent of crisp snow blanketing the mountain's flora: Scottish fir, beech, cembra and mugho pine, rhododendron, currant, honeysuckle, raspberry leaf, dwarf juniper, sedge, meadow grass, snowdrop, rose bay, lily of the valley, starwort, lichen and mosses

Darkling Thrush (Yule 2006) - Snow, darkness, and icy air illuminated by the thrush's song: warm amber, soft orris, and melancholy violet.

Knecht Ruprecht (Yule 2006) - The snow-covered foliage of the Black Forest and the fruit and woods of apple and almond trees.

Archangel Winter (Yule 2007) - Crystalline, glassy ice whipped by a snowstorm. Piercing ozone, winter darkness.

Christmas Rose (Yule 2007) - Bruise-tinted hellebore blossoms pushing through snowdrifts.

*Hunger Moon (Lunacy 2007) - It is a clear night sky that and bracing chill wind that bears the promise of snow, sharpened by the pain of hunger, and the sharp, rasping stab of thirst. Ozone, white sandalwood, crystallized white amber, verbena, oakmoss, clary sage, and a hint of white citrus rind.

Jólasveinar (Yule 2006, 2007) - a mishmash of snow, dirt, Icelandic moss, marsh felwort, and the smushed petals of buttercups and moorland spotted orchids, with the barest hint of the scent of pilfered Christmas pastries.

*Long Night Moon (Lunacy 2007) - A bouquet of night-blooming flowers, petals dusted with frost. Cereus, moonflower accord, night phlox, honeysuckle, silver thyme, white mint, and blue musk

*Midwinter's Eve (Yule 2007) - The perfume of sugared plums over a breeze of winter flowers.

*Mistletoe (Yule 2004, 2005, 2007) – no notes listed

November (Yule 2007) - Autumn leaves damp beneath the first snowfall.

Old Moon (Lunacy 2007) - The cold, white moon shines on frozen ground dusted with silent snow: evergreen, juniper, winterberry holly, bayberry, Viking black chokeberry, hemlock, and yew, ice-rimed, gilded by traditional lunar herbs and flowers

Snow Storm (Yule 2007) - Winter aconite, balsam fir, cedar leaf, and white mint.

Frau Holle (Yule 2008) - Snow-covered pines, witches herbs, bestial musk, flax, and ethereal flowers that represent both birth and death

L'Inverno (Inquisition 2008) – White musk, winter plum, pine wood, benzoin, orchid, and stargazer lily.

Lines Written (Yule 2008) - Skin musk, white sandalwood, balsam fir, frozen black berries, cedar, winter rose, and white amber

Moon of Ice (Lunacy 2008) - Frost-crusted winter flowers, white pine, eucalyptus, and traditional lunar oils.

*Moon of Small Spirits (Lunacy 2008) - Snow-blanketed wild grasses, sage, swamp tea, cedar, giniminagawunj, copal, rosehip, juniper, clover, elderberry, sweet flag, butterfly weed, wood sorrel, and pine.

*Moon of the Terrible (Lunacy 2008) - winter snow with lavender, benzoin, lychee, white resins, and a cluster of melancholy, lachrymose lunar herbs and florals (not much snow)

Nuclear Winter (Yule 2005, 2008) - The ice, desolation and barrenness of nuclear devastation shot through by a beam of radioactive mints.

*Perchta (Yule 2008) - wild musk, snow, and alpine flora: Nigritella lithopolitanica, aconite, crocus, touch-me-not, edelweiss, Iris variegate, and violet.

*Snow Angel (Inqusition 2005, 2008) - Cherubic spun sugar with a hint of lemon, sparkling peach, and floral tea

Snow Bunny (Yule 2005, 2008) - Soft white powder snow with a touch of youthful girlie perfume

*Snowblind (Inquisition 2005, 2008) – vanilla mint

Theres a Certain Slant of Light (Yule 2008) - Thin, tinny ozone with frankincense, white sandalwood, white amber, hyssop, bitter violet leaf, and shadowy wisps of smoke

Cloister Graveyard in the Snow (Salon) - Three white musks, ozone, frankincense, mint.

Countess Dolingen of Gratz (Halloweenie 2009) - Hailstone-pounded cypress boughs, olibanum, and an ozone blast of lightning

Death of the Grave Digger (Salon) - Snow, soil, opoponax and myrrh

Ded Moroz (Yule 2009) - golden amber, white amber, redwood, teak, bois du rose, sage, tree moss, and snow.

Evening Cicadas (Yule 2009) - Frost-limned, ice-bejeweled branches, scattered blood-red maple leaves, a few camellia petals, red peppers, and nacreous, multi-colored musks that shimmer like gently-beating cicada wings

First Soft Snow (Yule 2009) - Heavy drifts of snow blanketing winter's narcissus.

*Kumari Kandam (GC) - Thick incense, clay, stone, and hothouse blooms with a spike of frost, a hint of decay, and heavy, dolorous aquatic notes

the Macabray (Gaiman) - White winter flowers plucked from a snow-covered graveyard

Hypothermia (Yule 2009) - Bone-chilling, heart-stopping cold.

*Niflheim (GC) - The House of Mists, a land of icy fog, shadowy darkness and soul-chilling cold. Dark, damp blossoms winding through an impenetrable, murky gloom

*Night-Gaunt (GC) - yuzu, white grapefruit, and kumquat mixed with snow-dusted flowers

Pink Snowballs (Yule 2009) - A lighthearted winter scent: chilly vanilla rose snowballs

Season of the Inundation (Iteru 2009) - Sweet, black silt mingled with holy myrrh, melilot, hyssop, spikenard, balsam, cedar, and a hint of melting snow

Shivering Boy (Yule 2007, 2009) - frozen, dormant vineyards, bitter sleet, and piercing ozone, hurled through labdanum, benzoin, and olibanum.

Snow Flakes (Yule 2006, 2009) - The radiance and desolation of winter.

Snow, Glass, Apples (2009) – no notes listed

Snow Maiden (Yule 2006, 2009) - Ylang ylang, osmanthus, spring berries, and daffodil cloaked in hoarfrost.

Snow White (Yule 2003-2009) - A chilly, bright perfume: flurries of virgin snow, crisp winter wind and the faintest breath of night-blooming flowers

Snowball Fracas (Yule 2009) - A scent tight with delirious adrenaline. Muddy dirt and frost-covered moss from the trenches rubbed into winter clothes and snow impact overspray

When the Winter Chrysanthemums Go (Yule 2009) - A gentle flurry of snow dusting the season's last chrysanthemums, illuminated by pale rays of winter's amber-tinted sunlight

(probably missing some in here)

Almond Blossom: almond blossom, hoar-frost, and snow-wind

Go to Sleep, Darlings: Kiss-soft clouds of spun-sugar snow

Purple Snowballs: Sugar plum snowballs with a touch of currant and cardamom

The First Soft Snow 2013: Heavy drifts of snow blanketing winter’s narcissus

The Garden in Winter: Swaths of red poppies, white roses, graceful winter lilies, and sun-bright primroses beaming from beneath a flutter of snowflakes

Winter Stars: starry blue musk with mugwort, white mandarin, rockrose, and snow

*Not very snowy

An amazing list! Thank you very much!

And big thanks to you, thekittenkat, for your info regarding the different snow notes. I just realised I've never tried a real snow BPAL, and that I would like to do so but wanted to know what the heck they're about first, and ducked into this thread looking for pretty much exactly that. Am feeling extremly edified now! :biggrin:

And big thanks to you, thekittenkat, for your info regarding the different snow notes. I just realised I've never tried a real snow BPAL, and that I would like to do so but wanted to know what the heck they're about first, and ducked into this thread looking for pretty much exactly that. Am feeling extremly edified now! :biggrin:

You're welcome! And CaudaPavonis' list (that I quoted) is super, but I just saw that Snow White is not on there. There's also snowy notes at the Post. :)

Edited by thekittenkat

How about snowy scents that are somewhat sweet or floral? I love Snow White and feel like A Lady Tall and White will be a similar smooth cozy sort of feeling, but I'm hoping to find more cool, snowy sweet floral scents. I also love Pink Snowballs but feel like they're almost a class of their own. Help me find more?

How about snowy scents that are somewhat sweet or floral? I love Snow White and feel like A Lady Tall and White will be a similar smooth cozy sort of feeling, but I'm hoping to find more cool, snowy sweet floral scents. I also love Pink Snowballs but feel like they're almost a class of their own. Help me find more?

There are several flowers+snow scents out there. Just off the top of my head there's: Cloth of Gold, Dust of Snow, and A Cold, Clear Winter Day. Also Almond Blossom!

:smile:

go to sleep, darlings and almond blossom would be my guesses. maybe this year's wintertime would give you what you need. also a winter's dawn is floral snow with citrus.

Does anyone know which snow note Neither Peace Nor Rest (from this year's Trading Post Yules) has? Looking at the description again, maybe I should be asking whether it contains any snow note...

Not a recommendation, but I am so excited to try my first snow scent (The Bear Prince) ! A rosy fuzzy musk is very safe territory for me so I can't wait to see what the snow does to it!

Not a recommendation, but I am so excited to try my first snow scent (The Bear Prince) ! A rosy fuzzy musk is very safe territory for me so I can't wait to see what the snow does to it!

I got that one too! I love the snow note, although in a few blends I've tried it's been too ozony. So excited to try this! The concept is wonderful :)

Go To Sleep Darlings is one of my all time favorites. Yellow Snowballs was a HUGE fail on me. I ordered Snow White, The Snow at Midnight and The Snow Shower this year, hoping for something similar to GTSD.

Go To Sleep Darlings is one of my all time favorites. Yellow Snowballs was a HUGE fail on me. I ordered Snow White, The Snow at Midnight and The Snow Shower this year, hoping for something similar to GTSD.

On me, Snow White is very similar to GTSD. It's like GTSD with florals. :smile:

How was it? I tried several snows lately and have been bummed out by all of them - Snow White, Midwinter's Eve 2007, and Snowflakes 2006. They were all a lot sweeter on me than I expected, too sweet ultimately so I have yet to find my snow scent. I just missed the decant for The Bear Prince, but I did get Frau Holle, Hurðaskellir, and Le Befana. I will be trying those soon to see if they are the snow scent I am looking for.

I am eyeballing a few other Yules for my snow scent now...Nuclear Winter, The Snow at Dawn, Unmanageable Snowdrift, and Ded Moroz. Several others look nice, but I have to avoid benzoin, labdanum, and similar scents because they can go medicinal on me. Anyone recommendations would be appreciated!

I tried Ded Moroz for the very first time today and I was so pleasantly surprised by the snow note in this one. My only experiences with snow notes have been in Snow Glass Apples, Rose Red and Snow White. I find Snow Glass Apples and Rose Red have a similar cold, clear feel which I like but Snow White feels nothing like snow to me at all. Ded Moroz starts with what I can only describe as a wintery blast, it hits you like stepping out into the cold from a warm place. It is slightly herbal from the sage, but then starts to warm up a little from the woods and amber. However despite the warming effect of the other notes, the snow note stays prominent on my skin. It reminds me of walking through the woods after a heavy snow. The cold air, the smells of nature, it all comes together gorgeously and the rose note, subtle as it is, lends an ever so slight sweetness as it dries. I still have quite a few to try, but this is definitely one of my favorite yules this year. It's exactly what I wanted from a snow perfume.

How was it? I tried several snows lately and have been bummed out by all of them - Snow White, Midwinter's Eve 2007, and Snowflakes 2006. They were all a lot sweeter on me than I expected, too sweet ultimately so I have yet to find my snow scent. I just missed the decant for The Bear Prince, but I did get Frau Holle, Hurðaskellir, and Le Befana. I will be trying those soon to see if they are the snow scent I am looking for.

I am eyeballing a few other Yules for my snow scent now...Nuclear Winter, The Snow at Dawn, Unmanageable Snowdrift, and Ded Moroz. Several others look nice, but I have to avoid benzoin, labdanum, and similar scents because they can go medicinal on me. Anyone recommendations would be appreciated!

What about Mat Night? I didn't even know I could like a snow scent until I tried Mat Night. It's amazing. caramelized tobacco and slowly falling snow muffling the scent of a distant fire.

I tried Ded Moroz for the very first time today and I was so pleasantly surprised by the snow note in this one. My only experiences with snow notes have been in Snow Glass Apples, Rose Red and Snow White. I find Snow Glass Apples and Rose Red have a similar cold, clear feel which I like but Snow White feels nothing like snow to me at all. Ded Moroz starts with what I can only describe as a wintery blast, it hits you like stepping out into the cold from a warm place. It is slightly herbal from the sage, but then starts to warm up a little from the woods and amber. However despite the warming effect of the other notes, the snow note stays prominent on my skin. It reminds me of walking through the woods after a heavy snow. The cold air, the smells of nature, it all comes together gorgeously and the rose note, subtle as it is, lends an ever so slight sweetness as it dries. I still have quite a few to try, but this is definitely one of my favorite yules this year. It's exactly what I wanted from a snow perfume.

Oh, you may have convinced me BlackLace!

What about Mat Night? I didn't even know I could like a snow scent until I tried Mat Night. It's amazing. caramelized tobacco and slowly falling snow muffling the scent of a distant fire.

I can't seem to find it. Is it an LE?

What about Mat Night? I didn't even know I could like a snow scent until I tried Mat Night. It's amazing. caramelized tobacco and slowly

Sorry!! It's a retail exclusive, from Pretty Indulgent

I'm not sure what the shipping is like to the US, as she's based in Canada, but you can get Villaness and BPAL in one place and it makes me so super happy! I order frequently and usually qualify for free shipping, so if you decide you want a bottle but it's going to be a fortune to ship it to the US, shoot me a PM. I have been looking at organizing a group order if there's enough interest and if it'll save folks money on shipping. I've also seen some used bottles floating around the forum.

What about Mat Night? I didn't even know I could like a snow scent until I tried Mat Night. It's amazing. caramelized tobacco and slowly

Sorry!! It's a retail exclusive, from Pretty Indulgent

I'm not sure what the shipping is like to the US, as she's based in Canada, but you can get Villaness and BPAL in one place and it makes me so super happy! I order frequently and usually qualify for free shipping, so if you decide you want a bottle but it's going to be a fortune to ship it to the US, shoot me a PM. I have been looking at organizing a group order if there's enough interest and if it'll save folks money on shipping. I've also seen some used bottles floating around the forum.

Oh goodness, there's more ways to BPAL! I assume by retail exclusive, that means they only make it for this particular retailer?

<snipped>

Oh goodness, there's more ways to BPAL! I assume by retail exclusive, that means they only make it for this particular retailer?

Yes indeed! The Salon is not exclusive to Pretty Indulgent, though I could not tell you where else you can get it right now. The scents on this page are ones exclusive to Pretty Indulgent.

/hijack

Hello!

I've been talking about this in some other threads but haven't gotten any answers.

This year I tested Coquelicot Snow & A Lady Tall and White from last years post update. I love them and they did not give me a headache

HOWEVER

I got a lot of snow scent from this year's Yule update and so far all the ones I've tested have given me a headache ( Snow White, Nuclear Winter, Frau Holle ). Is the difference that the post used a different snow note, or do you think it could be that the two I liked were aged for a year? I'm trying to figure out if I should wait a year and retest the rest I have or go ahead and swap. Also, if you have any insight as to which scents have the death snow note and which don't, that would be appreciated!