Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jizatt

Snow Scents!

my favorite non-minty snow: Wolf Moon 04 (a slushier snow), Snow Maiden (I cant tell you what this smells like, I dont understand it! but I do love it!), and Archangel Winter (cold sweet ozone)

Lightning isn't a "snow" scent but it's cold and not-minty... could definitely seem snowy.

Unfortunately, I don't like ozone either. *sigh*

If it will help, my top 10 (in no particular order:)

1. Smiling Spider

2. Sin

3. Dorian

4. Inez

5. Vechernyaya

6. Samhain

7. Arrival @ the Sabbath

8. Troll

9. Snake Oil

10. Strangler Fig

Thanks to all in advance.

Lightning isn't a "snow" scent but it's cold and not-minty... could definitely seem snowy.

Unfortunately, I don't like ozone either. *sigh*

If it will help, my top 10 (in no particular order:)

1. Smiling Spider

2. Sin

3. Dorian

4. Inez

5. Vechernyaya

6. Samhain

7. Arrival @ the Sabbath

8. Troll

9. Snake Oil

10. Strangler Fig

Thanks to all in advance.

Well for what it's worth Death On A Pale Horse smells like something icey to me. But I get no mint from it. It's listed notes are...

empty white musk and mint seeped with solemn lavender, doleful patchouli and vetiver, scythe-sharp yuzu and lime, with geranium bourbon, white sandalwood and calla lily.

I believe it's the combination of lavender, white musk, mint and citrus which does this. I'm not saying this is the scent for you but perhaps look for scents that have a similar combination of notes in them to get that icey feeling without the minty smell. And white mint never smells like actual mint to me, it just smells cold.

Edited by HamletsKeeper

I would recommend Snow Bunny. I've seen it for sale here on the forums. No mint- definitely snowy with some pine and a light floral. I think it's a great wintery/holiday scent. Also, have you tried Snow White? It definitely has a cold feel to it.

I snagged November '07 from Ebay (autumn leaves under the first snowfall of the year) and it is quite nice after it dries. I have Snow White and The First Soft Snow on order from the Lab as well. Keep the recs coming. :)

What about Christmas Rose, an LE from 2007 I think. I love this one and there is no mint in it. Point of information, the Christmas rose refers to hellebore, not rose. When I wear this I smell snow, but other people often comment that they smell incense or wood smoke. I've even had people tell me it smells like when they attend Mass.

I've been able to buy bottles on the Forum to keep myself happy. I was hoping it would come back out this year. I still have a hard time knowing what the Lab's snow smells like. I like the idea of wearing snow scents in winter though.

Here is my all inclusive list -- if you think I left one out, let me know and Ill get it added

This *might* count:

NIGHT-GAUNT

No one ever found what the night-gaunts took, though those beasts themselves were so uncertain as to be almost fabulous. Carter asked them if night-gaunts sucked blood and liked shiny things and left webbed footprints, but they all shook their heads negatively and seemed frightened at his making such an inquiry. When he saw how taciturn they had become he asked them no more, but went to sleep in his blanket.

Their scent of their slick, rubbery hides is bittersweet, ticklish, and skin-creeping: something akin to yuzu, white grapefruit, and kumquat mixed with the snow-dusted flowers of Mount Ngranek.

I don't actually like this scent that much, but for completion, I thought I'd mention it.

Snow White. Other oils have a snow note, this one is just snow. Sublimating snow, actually: it smells like the haze that sometimes lingers on snow on a crystal clear and cold sunny day. Tested a few days ago; I was wearing Snow White, I already knew it was just like snow, but when I came across that haze I almost startled, I didn't realize before how much Snow White was the perfume version of it. It's snowing even tonight, and my Snow White is being used a lot this winter..

After trying most of the latest batch of Yule scents.....and after trying many other snowy scents in the past......I can honestly say that Cloister Graveyard In The Snow is my absolute favorite snowy scent. Nothing else comes close. : )

I would also like to mention Kumari Kandam (Wanderlust) - 'Thick incense, clay, stone, and hothouse blooms with a spike of frost, a hint of decay and heavy, dolorous, aquatic notes'. It isn't exactly snow, it's more of a frost, as you might expect. Not minty, but kind of freezing mineral, if that makes any sense :blush: ..as well as the salty aquatic and tropical floral. It's quite unusual, but lovely, in my opinion.

Adding to the list Candles Moon:

"Moonlight shining on the Quickening Tree, the heat and wax of sacred candles, the milk of ewes, Brigid's blackberry, the sting of keening wind, and the last flutter of the Cailleach's winter snow."

It doesn't sound too 'snowy,' but it does have that as an ingredient, so feeding your ocd... :)

Edited by fasn8me21

Necro bump because we've got 2013 Yules!!!:

Almond Blossom: almond blossom, hoar-frost, and snow-wind

Go to Sleep, Darlings: Kiss-soft clouds of spun-sugar snow

Purple Snowballs: Sugar plum snowballs with a touch of currant and cardamom

The First Soft Snow 2013: Heavy drifts of snow blanketing winter’s narcissus

The Garden in Winter: Swaths of red poppies, white roses, graceful winter lilies, and sun-bright primroses beaming from beneath a flutter of snowflakes

Winter Stars: starry blue musk with mugwort, white mandarin, rockrose, and snow

been awhile since I've bought straight from the lab, but I'm seriously jonesing for like 5 bottles on your list (and I havent even looked at the update yet), so I guess I'm going to have to break down and.... sell the car?? sigh.

Any thoughts on The Old Goblin (I haven't tried it myself yet)? The notes are: "A crown of hardened ice and polished fir-cones."

This is a great thread! :D

There's also A Winter's Dawn in this year's Yules: Pearlescent pink grapefruit, neroli, helichrysum, freesia, white mandarin, and rockrose rising behind a dapple of snowflakes. And though I doubt this is particularly snowy, there's also: The Mahogany Tree—Robin-red currants, soft nightingale-brown tonka, glossy starling-black labdanum, hearth-warm amber, mahogany sap, winter woods, a splash of Muscat, and gentle Christmas snow.

And from my own personal approaching OCD list, I've got:

Snowy Mountains and Kingfisher—Crisp ozone-tinged snow, muguet, white moss, sandalwood musk, white amber, honeysuckle, and white pear. (Shunga 2012, obviously includes some ozone)

Monastery in the Mountains—Snow-capped mountain air, rich sandalwood incense, and deodar—the Tree of God. (Pickman Gallery, 2012)

The Waltz of the Snowflakes—Vanilla-laced snow, graceful and sweet, with fir needle and black pine bark. (Yule 2010)

Yellow Snowballs—Slushy white mint, vanilla cream, lemon drops, grapefruit, and yuzu! (This is obviously the mint snow, but in the interest of completion . . . )

Winter-Time—Sweet, soft snow. (Yule 2010)

Hunters in the Snow—The scent of a calm, grey winter’s day: bare trees and cooking fires, thick blankets of snow, and icy, frozen rivers. (Will-Call November 2013)

Ondurdis—The scent of winter wind blowing over snow-capped mountains. (Yule 2011)

Cloth of Gold—Vibrant yellow petals bursting exultantly through a patch of snow. (Yule 2011)

Okayaki—Olive blossom, cardamom pod, amber, morning star lily, bergamot, and a well-aimed snowball. (Shunga 2010)

Woods in Winter—Wild hemlock and juniper berries scattered in the snow beneath leafless trees bedecked with glittering icicles. (Yule 2010)

The Phoenix in Winter—Daemonorops, holly berries, and juniper berries in a snowdrift. (Anniversary 2010)

Before the Snowy Window—Snow-dusted cherry blossom, passion flower, peach musk, and tuberose. (Shunga 2012)

Dust of Snow—Snowflakes and hemlock leaves with snowdrop, iris, and Peruvian lily. (Yule 2011)

Jolasveinar—Their scent is a mishmash of snow, dirt, Icelandic moss, marsh felwort, and the smushed petals of buttercups and moorland spotted orchids, with the barest hint of the scent of pilfered Christmas pastries. (Yule 2006, 2007, 2010-2011)

Fern Frost—no notes listed, but fern, frost (Trading Post Inquisition, Yule 2010)

I obviously haven't tried all of these, and some are more snowy than others (I'd say Snowy Mountains and Kingfisher doesn't strike me as particularly snowy, but I get a sense of it, I'm not sure about all of the others), but that's my addition to the list! :D

Just putting up the Snow-containing Black Phoenix Trading Post scents from this year (2013). Haven't tried any of them yet.

BLACK SNOWBALLS

For a very gothy Yule. Black licorice slurry with blackcurrant, black fig, and mulberries.

BLUE SNOWBALLS

... because the holidays can be really, really frustrating. Blueberry slush with a hint of lime and blackberry juice.

DISCO SNOWBALLS

Brian and I made this one for Ted to honor his undying, incessant, relentless love of Abba: silvery snow reflecting myriad glimmers of orange blossom, black currant, pink grapefruit, white mint, sweet plum, and Italian bergamot.

And they also have these scents in bath oil form.

PINK SNOWBALLS

A lighthearted winter scent: chilly vanilla rose snowballs! Dainty, soft, and certainly unfit for flinging!

ICE PRINCESS

Iced blackberries, blackcurrant honey, frozen white peach, and sweet vanilla cream.

WINTER MAIDEN

Ice-rimed innocence. The blush of youth, frozen for eternity.

Snow-laden woods, iced blackberry and bergamot, white rose, and crystallized amber.

Here is my all inclusive list -- if you think I left one out, let me know and Ill get it added

Cold Moon (Lunacy 2004) - The Full Moon that shines over the frost-rimed heart of winter. Traditional lunar oils combined with glittering snow flowers, soft breezes and frozen ferns.

Frost Moon (Lunacy 2004) - A blend of traditional lunar oils frozen with winter mints, shivering eucalyptus, clear lotus, a gust of wind, and a midnight aquatic note.

Havisham (2004) - This is the scent of a frost-limed wedding bouquet, frozen forever in time.

Ice Queen (Yule 2004) - blend of precious pale musks, brittle winter blossoms, spruce, and frozen winter fruits

Queen of Diamonds (Forum 2004) - A glittering icicle of a woman, regal, proud and cold: shimmering white grapefruit, pale flowers and lemon bark with orchid, rose and a dash of mandarin.

Skadi (Yule 2004) - Frost-rimed winter berries, crisp pine needle, and a slush of bright snowy notes.

Wolf Moon (Lunacy 2004) - This is the dead of winter, the year's dark hibernation, the crystalline silence of the depths of the world's darkness

Numb (2005) - a singularly chilly, delectably ice-rimmed perfume; gelid polar frostiness

Snow Moon (Lunacy 2005) - A scent of purity and silence, soft with falling snow, as dark as Midwinter: an icy flurry over the winter blooms of narcissus, pansy crocus, dahlia, tulip, chrysanthemum and white rose, with a hint of fir and birch.

Talvikuu (Yule 2005) - Skeletal limbs of birch and fir coated in a thick, impenetrable blanket of snow

Black Ice (Yule 2006) - chilly white sleet-like notes with a hint of vetiver, a breath of smoky asphalt, and winter wind

Carpanthian Mountains (Order of the Dragon 2006) - Mountain air and the scent of crisp snow blanketing the mountain's flora: Scottish fir, beech, cembra and mugho pine, rhododendron, currant, honeysuckle, raspberry leaf, dwarf juniper, sedge, meadow grass, snowdrop, rose bay, lily of the valley, starwort, lichen and mosses

Darkling Thrush (Yule 2006) - Snow, darkness, and icy air illuminated by the thrush's song: warm amber, soft orris, and melancholy violet.

Knecht Ruprecht (Yule 2006) - The snow-covered foliage of the Black Forest and the fruit and woods of apple and almond trees.

Archangel Winter (Yule 2007) - Crystalline, glassy ice whipped by a snowstorm. Piercing ozone, winter darkness.

Christmas Rose (Yule 2007) - Bruise-tinted hellebore blossoms pushing through snowdrifts.

*Hunger Moon (Lunacy 2007) - It is a clear night sky that and bracing chill wind that bears the promise of snow, sharpened by the pain of hunger, and the sharp, rasping stab of thirst. Ozone, white sandalwood, crystallized white amber, verbena, oakmoss, clary sage, and a hint of white citrus rind.

Jólasveinar (Yule 2006, 2007) - a mishmash of snow, dirt, Icelandic moss, marsh felwort, and the smushed petals of buttercups and moorland spotted orchids, with the barest hint of the scent of pilfered Christmas pastries.

*Long Night Moon (Lunacy 2007) - A bouquet of night-blooming flowers, petals dusted with frost. Cereus, moonflower accord, night phlox, honeysuckle, silver thyme, white mint, and blue musk

*Midwinter's Eve (Yule 2007) - The perfume of sugared plums over a breeze of winter flowers.

*Mistletoe (Yule 2004, 2005, 2007) – no notes listed

November (Yule 2007) - Autumn leaves damp beneath the first snowfall.

Old Moon (Lunacy 2007) - The cold, white moon shines on frozen ground dusted with silent snow: evergreen, juniper, winterberry holly, bayberry, Viking black chokeberry, hemlock, and yew, ice-rimed, gilded by traditional lunar herbs and flowers

Snow Storm (Yule 2007) - Winter aconite, balsam fir, cedar leaf, and white mint.

Frau Holle (Yule 2008) - Snow-covered pines, witches herbs, bestial musk, flax, and ethereal flowers that represent both birth and death

L'Inverno (Inquisition 2008) – White musk, winter plum, pine wood, benzoin, orchid, and stargazer lily.

Lines Written (Yule 2008) - Skin musk, white sandalwood, balsam fir, frozen black berries, cedar, winter rose, and white amber

Moon of Ice (Lunacy 2008) - Frost-crusted winter flowers, white pine, eucalyptus, and traditional lunar oils.

*Moon of Small Spirits (Lunacy 2008) - Snow-blanketed wild grasses, sage, swamp tea, cedar, giniminagawunj, copal, rosehip, juniper, clover, elderberry, sweet flag, butterfly weed, wood sorrel, and pine.

*Moon of the Terrible (Lunacy 2008) - winter snow with lavender, benzoin, lychee, white resins, and a cluster of melancholy, lachrymose lunar herbs and florals (not much snow)

Nuclear Winter (Yule 2005, 2008) - The ice, desolation and barrenness of nuclear devastation shot through by a beam of radioactive mints.

*Perchta (Yule 2008) - wild musk, snow, and alpine flora: Nigritella lithopolitanica, aconite, crocus, touch-me-not, edelweiss, Iris variegate, and violet.

*Snow Angel (Inqusition 2005, 2008) - Cherubic spun sugar with a hint of lemon, sparkling peach, and floral tea

Snow Bunny (Yule 2005, 2008) - Soft white powder snow with a touch of youthful girlie perfume

*Snowblind (Inquisition 2005, 2008) – vanilla mint

Theres a Certain Slant of Light (Yule 2008) - Thin, tinny ozone with frankincense, white sandalwood, white amber, hyssop, bitter violet leaf, and shadowy wisps of smoke

Cloister Graveyard in the Snow (Salon) - Three white musks, ozone, frankincense, mint.

Countess Dolingen of Gratz (Halloweenie 2009) - Hailstone-pounded cypress boughs, olibanum, and an ozone blast of lightning

Death of the Grave Digger (Salon) - Snow, soil, opoponax and myrrh

Ded Moroz (Yule 2009) - golden amber, white amber, redwood, teak, bois du rose, sage, tree moss, and snow.

Evening Cicadas (Yule 2009) - Frost-limned, ice-bejeweled branches, scattered blood-red maple leaves, a few camellia petals, red peppers, and nacreous, multi-colored musks that shimmer like gently-beating cicada wings

First Soft Snow (Yule 2009) - Heavy drifts of snow blanketing winter's narcissus.

*Kumari Kandam (GC) - Thick incense, clay, stone, and hothouse blooms with a spike of frost, a hint of decay, and heavy, dolorous aquatic notes

the Macabray (Gaiman) - White winter flowers plucked from a snow-covered graveyard

Hypothermia (Yule 2009) - Bone-chilling, heart-stopping cold.

*Niflheim (GC) - The House of Mists, a land of icy fog, shadowy darkness and soul-chilling cold. Dark, damp blossoms winding through an impenetrable, murky gloom

*Night-Gaunt (GC) - yuzu, white grapefruit, and kumquat mixed with snow-dusted flowers

Pink Snowballs (Yule 2009) - A lighthearted winter scent: chilly vanilla rose snowballs

Season of the Inundation (Iteru 2009) - Sweet, black silt mingled with holy myrrh, melilot, hyssop, spikenard, balsam, cedar, and a hint of melting snow

Shivering Boy (Yule 2007, 2009) - frozen, dormant vineyards, bitter sleet, and piercing ozone, hurled through labdanum, benzoin, and olibanum.

Snow Flakes (Yule 2006, 2009) - The radiance and desolation of winter.

Snow, Glass, Apples (2009) – no notes listed

Snow Maiden (Yule 2006, 2009) - Ylang ylang, osmanthus, spring berries, and daffodil cloaked in hoarfrost.

Snow White (Yule 2003-2009) - A chilly, bright perfume: flurries of virgin snow, crisp winter wind and the faintest breath of night-blooming flowers

Snowball Fracas (Yule 2009) - A scent tight with delirious adrenaline. Muddy dirt and frost-covered moss from the trenches rubbed into winter clothes and snow impact overspray

When the Winter Chrysanthemums Go (Yule 2009) - A gentle flurry of snow dusting the season's last chrysanthemums, illuminated by pale rays of winter's amber-tinted sunlight

(probably missing some in here)

Purple Snowballs: Sugar plum snowballs with a touch of currant and cardamom

The First Soft Snow 2013: Heavy drifts of snow blanketing winter’s narcissus

The Garden in Winter: Swaths of red poppies, white roses, graceful winter lilies, and sun-bright primroses beaming from beneath a flutter of snowflakes

*Not very snowy

Awesome list :wub2:

I'm not usually a huge fan of snow (the only one I wear regularly is Snow Moon '05) but I can't wait to try Go to Sleep, Darlings. It sounds too lovely.

I love all of the Snows. I wear them in the summer, when I want to feel cool and wintery, and in fall and winter when it snows, just for synchronicity.

I LOVE Blue Snowballs from last year, Dust of Snow from 2011? Cloth of Gold, but my favorite of all time, the sadly DCed Cloister Graveyard in the Snow.

Snow blends are my absolute favourites!!

My personal go-to list is --

The First Soft Snow

Ondurdis (this NEEDS to come back)

Frau Holle

The Snow Maiden

Snow White

Blue Snowballs

Snowblind

Snow Angel

Snow Bunny

The Snow Storm

Snow-Flakes

Dust Of Snow

Frost At Midnight

Winter Heavens

Archangel Winter

Shivering Boy

Cannot wait for my Yule packages to land so I can try this year's snow blends :wub2:

My ultimate snow scent was, and is, Skadi.

I broke out my old Skadi the other day (because I have two on the way to me) and it is heaven. I'm trying to control myself and not buy all the bottles this year.

I love both Ice Queen and Snowy Mountains & Kingfisher, and definitely looking forward to testing:

How about a necro bump? Recs for a snow or Yule scent minus the wintergreen/vapor rub/menthol note/s of doom??:-P