Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jizatt

Snow Scents!

I didnt find this topic out there, but Im SURE I must have missed it??

I'm on a hunt for snow scents. I dont know what got me started, but now feel like collecting. So I thought Id ask the experts -- best rec's for snow scents -- with or without mint (although I prefer less mint). This may be my first BPAL pokemon, you know how some people want every Lunacy? So, hit me with your best!

Most of the snow scents are Yule limited editions so you are lucky the Yules are out now :) . So instead of sending you on a wild goose chase for Snow Moon, Snow Bunny or, God forbid, Skadi, I'll concentrate on the scents that are available now.

First and foremost, of course, is Snow White. It is my and a lot of people's favorite BPAL and, although it has a gazillion reviews on the Yules section of the Reviews, it really defies description.

Then, looking a the snow comebacks this year, I'd definitely recommend Snow-Flakes and The Snow Maiden.

I can't speak for the new snow scents yet (such as Pink Snowballs, The First Soft Snow or When the Winter Chrysanthemums Go) but I'm sure they are worth a try.

Snow Moon

Talvikuu

Skadi

Snow Bunny

Archangel Winter

Snow-Flakes

Frost Moon (though this was very eucalyptusy on me)

Old Moon (or so I hear-- I still want to experience it for myself!)

The Snow Storm (Ditto)

Things I assume will be snowy but no description:

Snowball Fracas

Pink Snowballs

The First Soft Snow

To be honest, Snow White actually doesn't smell snowy to me. It smells peaceful, but not slushy, but mileage clearly varies on this!

I didnt find this topic out there, but Im SURE I must have missed it??

I'm on a hunt for snow scents. I dont know what got me started, but now feel like collecting. So I thought Id ask the experts -- best rec's for snow scents -- with or without mint (although I prefer less mint). This may be my first BPAL pokemon, you know how some people want every Lunacy? So, hit me with your best!

Just thinking... if you can, perhaps try Lines Written Among the Euganean Hills - this isn't a snow scent, per se, but it's crystalline and chilly and beautiful and sweet... and it makes me think of snow.

I get more than my fill of snow here in Canada, and I have yet to smell a blend that really smells LIKE snow. I'm still hoping, especially with this years releases! :)

Edited by obsidienne

In the GC you have Death of the Gravedigger and Cloister Graveyard in the Snow. DotG has a snow note and CGitS evokes it. I haven't tried either so I can't really vouch for either.

There is also Kubla Khan which is a complex and strange scent. I definitely get the "caves of ice" note from it, but there is a jumble of other notes included. It's worth a try due to its prevalence.

You can also try The Macabray (White winter flowers plucked from a snow-covered graveyard). Another I haven't tried but assume is somewhat similar to Snow White minus the lily musk.

My favourite snow note is in Nuclear Winter (The ice, desolation and barrenness of nuclear devastation shot through by a beam of radioactive mints). This one is usually pretty rough straight out of the mailbox but after a week or so it smoothes into a really amazing, bright, biting snow scent.

The whole "snow" thing is a bit strange to me.. because I live in a part of Australia where it never snows, and at the time of year when it's snowing in the US it's usually around 100 degrees here! So I've generally avoided the whole snow thing in BPAL, with three exceptions...

Snow, Glass, Apples - I know this is hard to find, but definitely worth hunting down - it combines the icy cool you'd expect from snow and glass with the crisp, sweet tartness of apples and is really lovely.

Snow White - a favourite for so many people, but a new discovery for me. I've got the '05 version and I really LOVE IT - soft, sweet, cool, just gorgeous.

Snowblind - chilly vanilla.. this *does* have mint, and quite a strong mint at that, but after it's warmed up a bit on your skin the vanilla balances out the mint quite nicely and sweetens it up.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but can any of you Snow White aficionados tell me whether all the Snow White releases are exactly the same from year to year? My chances of finding another bottle of the '05 version are slim, but I'm reluctant to buy the others in case they're different.

The whole "snow" thing is a bit strange to me.. because I live in a part of Australia where it never snows, and at the time of year when it's snowing in the US it's usually around 100 degrees here! So I've generally avoided the whole snow thing in BPAL, with three exceptions...

Snow, Glass, Apples - I know this is hard to find, but definitely worth hunting down - it combines the icy cool you'd expect from snow and glass with the crisp, sweet tartness of apples and is really lovely.

Snow White - a favourite for so many people, but a new discovery for me. I've got the '05 version and I really LOVE IT - soft, sweet, cool, just gorgeous.

Snowblind - chilly vanilla.. this *does* have mint, and quite a strong mint at that, but after it's warmed up a bit on your skin the vanilla balances out the mint quite nicely and sweetens it up.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but can any of you Snow White aficionados tell me whether all the Snow White releases are exactly the same from year to year? My chances of finding another bottle of the '05 version are slim, but I'm reluctant to buy the others in case they're different.

I've noticed a difference between Snow Whites of varying years. I first got an imp of SW '07, and really loved it. It smells like very soft, snowy, fruity flowers. This prompted me to order a bottle, but I purchased SW '08. I found '08 to be heavy on the coconut to the point where it ruined it for me- coconut does a weird, spoiled milk thing on me. I thought about lettting it age, but I found someone who wanted it so I didn't wait on it. I ordered a decant of '09 specifically so I can further research the differences.

I've been collecting notes from here and reviews and whatnot and coming up with a big list of snow scents -- Ill post it here when I get it complete! Maybe it will come in handy to someone else too

I've noticed a difference between Snow Whites of varying years. I first got an imp of SW '07, and really loved it. It smells like very soft, snowy, fruity flowers. This prompted me to order a bottle, but I purchased SW '08. I found '08 to be heavy on the coconut to the point where it ruined it for me...

I'm no aficionado, but have been lucky enough to get testers of Snow White '04, '05, and '08, and at one point had a bottle of '07. I quickly sold the '07 as it was a very sweet, powdery almondy coconut and NOT what I expected nor wanted from a blend called Snow White. ;) I couldn't detect much difference between '04 and '05, but I'm fairly sure I preferred those over the '08 tester. But all of them have that sweet element, but to my nose, some years are definitely more coconutty than others.

As for the rest of this thread, I'm definitely keeping an eye on it. This is my first BPAL Yule and I, too, have lived my whole life in a region that doesn't usually see snow (and when we do, it's pretty much melted in 20 minutes). Having gotten decants of the previous Snow-Flakes (love!) and Archangel Winter (interesting), with pending bottles to decant of some of this years snowy blends, I'm very excited to sniff 'em. But I wasn't able to get a lot of the blends I most wanted so I'll definitely be stalking the reviews threads and swaps forum. :twisted:

I'm interested in your compiled list! Really though I wish I knew which snow scents had mint in them and which didn't, since mint does horrible things to me. I'm pretty worried about the coconut in Snow White. I thought Yew Trees would just have a hint of coconut in it, but all I smelled was COCONUT WHOA! :\

heres the scents im waffling on -- not sure if the snow is very noticeable or not. any input on these?

Moon of Small Spirits (Lunacy 2008) - Snow-blanketed wild grasses, sage, swamp tea, cedar, giniminagawunj, copal, rosehip, juniper, clover, elderberry, sweet flag, butterfly weed, wood sorrel, and pine.

Old Moon (Lunacy 2007) - The cold, white moon shines on frozen ground dusted with silent snow: evergreen, juniper, winterberry holly, bayberry, Viking black chokeberry, hemlock, and yew, ice-rimed, gilded by traditional lunar herbs and flowers

Perchta (Yule 2008) - wild musk, snow, and alpine flora: Nigritella lithopolitanica, aconite, crocus, touch-me-not, edelweiss, Iris variegate, and violet.

Moon of the Terrible (Lunacy 2008) - winter snow with lavender, benzoin, lychee, white resins, and a cluster of melancholy, lachrymose lunar herbs and florals (not much snow)

I get more than my fill of snow here in Canada, and I have yet to smell a blend that really smells LIKE snow. I'm still hoping, especially with this years releases! :)

I've never smelled anything even remotely equivalent to SNOW either... that sharp tang to the air that's almost *dry* despite all the moisture.

(one of my favorite things to do in winter when I'm standing with a group of people is to look up at the sky and say, "Huh, snow clouds" - and watch how many people look up and nod, and how many people go huhwhat? Mostly only effective in the south.)

heres the scents im waffling on -- not sure if the snow is very noticeable or not. any input on these?

Perchta (Yule 2008) - wild musk, snow, and alpine flora: Nigritella lithopolitanica, aconite, crocus, touch-me-not, edelweiss, Iris variegate, and violet.

Moon of the Terrible (Lunacy 2008) - winter snow with lavender, benzoin, lychee, white resins, and a cluster of melancholy, lachrymose lunar herbs and florals (not much snow)

I get no snow from either of these. Perchta, on me, was a slightly crisp floral, and Moon of the Terrible was all lychee wet, drying to lavender + resins. I was disappointed because what I wanted out of them was the snow, which was nowhere to be found.

My favorite snow blends are Snow Moon and L'Inverno. L'Inverno doesn't have the snow note listed, but it's definitely a snowy scent to my nose.

My boyfriend prefers Lines Written... which I second as being a "snowy" scent, and Nuclear Winter, which is definitely minty (but not sharply so) and sort of... slushy.

<snip>

No, they are definitely not the same. To me the best one is 2004 and I know of a SW afficionado who prefers 2005 over 2004. I think 2008 was better than 2007.

Even though I have my definite preference, none of them made me go wash it off or anything. I have kept only one 2004 bottle though. The atmo spray from last year is very true SW, too.

Moon of Small Spirits (Lunacy 2008) - Snow-blanketed wild grasses, sage, swamp tea, cedar, giniminagawunj, copal, rosehip, juniper, clover, elderberry, sweet flag, butterfly weed, wood sorrel, and pine.

Old Moon (Lunacy 2007) - The cold, white moon shines on frozen ground dusted with silent snow: evergreen, juniper, winterberry holly, bayberry, Viking black chokeberry, hemlock, and yew, ice-rimed, gilded by traditional lunar herbs and flowers

I don't remember Moon of Small Spirits to be snowy, or Perchta either.

Old Moon was snowy yes.

I have a problem with mint, it makes me start coughing etc, so I don't like minty snowy scents.

My favourite by far is Skadi. A very very close second, actually just one click away to me, is Snow Moon. Also L'Inverno does the same trip.

I may need to revisit Lines Written among the Euganean Hills (although it was quite forest-y).

Edited by ifinena

I've noticed a difference between Snow Whites of varying years. I first got an imp of SW '07, and really loved it. It smells like very soft, snowy, fruity flowers. This prompted me to order a bottle, but I purchased SW '08. I found '08 to be heavy on the coconut to the point where it ruined it for me...

I'm no aficionado, but have been lucky enough to get testers of Snow White '04, '05, and '08, and at one point had a bottle of '07. I quickly sold the '07 as it was a very sweet, powdery almondy coconut and NOT what I expected nor wanted from a blend called Snow White. ;) I couldn't detect much difference between '04 and '05, but I'm fairly sure I preferred those over the '08 tester. But all of them have that sweet element, but to my nose, some years are definitely more coconutty than others.

I haven't tried any of the other Snow Whites, but '08 was definitely off into the pina colada neighborhood, for me. Also NOT expecting that from it. Coconut is just not my favorite perfume smell (often just too much reminds me of suntan oil). My first thought when I tested it was "Well, I guess coconut is white..." :lol:

Here is my all inclusive list -- if you think I left one out, let me know and Ill get it added

Cold Moon (Lunacy 2004) - The Full Moon that shines over the frost-rimed heart of winter. Traditional lunar oils combined with glittering snow flowers, soft breezes and frozen ferns.

Frost Moon (Lunacy 2004) - A blend of traditional lunar oils frozen with winter mints, shivering eucalyptus, clear lotus, a gust of wind, and a midnight aquatic note.

Havisham (2004) - This is the scent of a frost-limed wedding bouquet, frozen forever in time.

Ice Queen (Yule 2004) - blend of precious pale musks, brittle winter blossoms, spruce, and frozen winter fruits

Queen of Diamonds (Forum 2004) - A glittering icicle of a woman, regal, proud and cold: shimmering white grapefruit, pale flowers and lemon bark with orchid, rose and a dash of mandarin.

Skadi (Yule 2004) - Frost-rimed winter berries, crisp pine needle, and a slush of bright snowy notes.

Wolf Moon (Lunacy 2004) - This is the dead of winter, the year's dark hibernation, the crystalline silence of the depths of the world's darkness

Numb (2005) - a singularly chilly, delectably ice-rimmed perfume; gelid polar frostiness

Snow Moon (Lunacy 2005) - A scent of purity and silence, soft with falling snow, as dark as Midwinter: an icy flurry over the winter blooms of narcissus, pansy crocus, dahlia, tulip, chrysanthemum and white rose, with a hint of fir and birch.

Talvikuu (Yule 2005) - Skeletal limbs of birch and fir coated in a thick, impenetrable blanket of snow

Black Ice (Yule 2006) - chilly white sleet-like notes with a hint of vetiver, a breath of smoky asphalt, and winter wind

Carpanthian Mountains (Order of the Dragon 2006) - Mountain air and the scent of crisp snow blanketing the mountain's flora: Scottish fir, beech, cembra and mugho pine, rhododendron, currant, honeysuckle, raspberry leaf, dwarf juniper, sedge, meadow grass, snowdrop, rose bay, lily of the valley, starwort, lichen and mosses

Darkling Thrush (Yule 2006) - Snow, darkness, and icy air illuminated by the thrush's song: warm amber, soft orris, and melancholy violet.

Knecht Ruprecht (Yule 2006) - The snow-covered foliage of the Black Forest and the fruit and woods of apple and almond trees.

Archangel Winter (Yule 2007) - Crystalline, glassy ice whipped by a snowstorm. Piercing ozone, winter darkness.

Christmas Rose (Yule 2007) - Bruise-tinted hellebore blossoms pushing through snowdrifts.

*Hunger Moon (Lunacy 2007) - It is a clear night sky that and bracing chill wind that bears the promise of snow, sharpened by the pain of hunger, and the sharp, rasping stab of thirst. Ozone, white sandalwood, crystallized white amber, verbena, oakmoss, clary sage, and a hint of white citrus rind.

Jólasveinar (Yule 2006, 2007) - a mishmash of snow, dirt, Icelandic moss, marsh felwort, and the smushed petals of buttercups and moorland spotted orchids, with the barest hint of the scent of pilfered Christmas pastries.

*Long Night Moon (Lunacy 2007) - A bouquet of night-blooming flowers, petals dusted with frost. Cereus, moonflower accord, night phlox, honeysuckle, silver thyme, white mint, and blue musk

*Midwinter's Eve (Yule 2007) - The perfume of sugared plums over a breeze of winter flowers.

*Mistletoe (Yule 2004, 2005, 2007) – no notes listed

November (Yule 2007) - Autumn leaves damp beneath the first snowfall.

Snow Storm (Yule 2007) - Winter aconite, balsam fir, cedar leaf, and white mint.

Frau Holle (Yule 2008) - Snow-covered pines, witches herbs, bestial musk, flax, and ethereal flowers that represent both birth and death

L'Inverno (Inquisition 2008) – White musk, winter plum, pine wood, benzoin, orchid, and stargazer lily.

Lines Written (Yule 2008) - Skin musk, white sandalwood, balsam fir, frozen black berries, cedar, winter rose, and white amber

Moon of Ice (Lunacy 2008) - Frost-crusted winter flowers, white pine, eucalyptus, and traditional lunar oils.

*Moon of Small Spirits (Lunacy 2008) - Snow-blanketed wild grasses, sage, swamp tea, cedar, giniminagawunj, copal, rosehip, juniper, clover, elderberry, sweet flag, butterfly weed, wood sorrel, and pine.

*Moon of the Terrible (Lunacy 2008) - winter snow with lavender, benzoin, lychee, white resins, and a cluster of melancholy, lachrymose lunar herbs and florals (not much snow)

Nuclear Winter (Yule 2005, 2008) - The ice, desolation and barrenness of nuclear devastation shot through by a beam of radioactive mints.

*Perchta (Yule 2008) - wild musk, snow, and alpine flora: Nigritella lithopolitanica, aconite, crocus, touch-me-not, edelweiss, Iris variegate, and violet.

*Snow Angel (Inqusition 2005, 2008) - Cherubic spun sugar with a hint of lemon, sparkling peach, and floral tea

Snow Bunny (Yule 2005, 2008) - Soft white powder snow with a touch of youthful girlie perfume

*Snowblind (Inquisition 2005, 2008) – vanilla mint

Theres a Certain Slant of Light (Yule 2008) - Thin, tinny ozone with frankincense, white sandalwood, white amber, hyssop, bitter violet leaf, and shadowy wisps of smoke

Cloister Graveyard in the Snow (Salon) - Three white musks, ozone, frankincense, mint.

Countess Dolingen of Gratz (Halloweenie 2009) - Hailstone-pounded cypress boughs, olibanum, and an ozone blast of lightning

Death of the Grave Digger (Salon) - Snow, soil, opoponax and myrrh

Ded Moroz (Yule 2009) - golden amber, white amber, redwood, teak, bois du rose, sage, tree moss, and snow.

Evening Cicadas (Yule 2009) - Frost-limned, ice-bejeweled branches, scattered blood-red maple leaves, a few camellia petals, red peppers, and nacreous, multi-colored musks that shimmer like gently-beating cicada wings

First Soft Snow (Yule 2009) - Heavy drifts of snow blanketing winter's narcissus.

*Kumari Kandam (GC) - Thick incense, clay, stone, and hothouse blooms with a spike of frost, a hint of decay, and heavy, dolorous aquatic notes

the Macabray (Gaiman) - White winter flowers plucked from a snow-covered graveyard

Hypothermia (Yule 2009) - Bone-chilling, heart-stopping cold.

*Niflheim (GC) - The House of Mists, a land of icy fog, shadowy darkness and soul-chilling cold. Dark, damp blossoms winding through an impenetrable, murky gloom

*Night-Gaunt (GC) - yuzu, white grapefruit, and kumquat mixed with snow-dusted flowers

Pink Snowballs (Yule 2009) - A lighthearted winter scent: chilly vanilla rose snowballs

Season of the Inundation (Iteru 2009) - Sweet, black silt mingled with holy myrrh, melilot, hyssop, spikenard, balsam, cedar, and a hint of melting snow

Shivering Boy (Yule 2007, 2009) - frozen, dormant vineyards, bitter sleet, and piercing ozone, hurled through labdanum, benzoin, and olibanum.

Snow Flakes (Yule 2006, 2009) - The radiance and desolation of winter.

Snow, Glass, Apples (2009) – no notes listed

Snow Maiden (Yule 2006, 2009) - Ylang ylang, osmanthus, spring berries, and daffodil cloaked in hoarfrost.

Snow White (Yule 2003-2009) - A chilly, bright perfume: flurries of virgin snow, crisp winter wind and the faintest breath of night-blooming flowers

Snowball Fracas (Yule 2009) - A scent tight with delirious adrenaline. Muddy dirt and frost-covered moss from the trenches rubbed into winter clothes and snow impact overspray

When the Winter Chrysanthemums Go (Yule 2009) - A gentle flurry of snow dusting the season's last chrysanthemums, illuminated by pale rays of winter's amber-tinted sunlight

(probably missing some in here)

Almond Blossom: almond blossom, hoar-frost, and snow-wind

Go to Sleep, Darlings: Kiss-soft clouds of spun-sugar snow

Purple Snowballs: Sugar plum snowballs with a touch of currant and cardamom

The First Soft Snow 2013: Heavy drifts of snow blanketing winter’s narcissus

The Garden in Winter: Swaths of red poppies, white roses, graceful winter lilies, and sun-bright primroses beaming from beneath a flutter of snowflakes

Winter Stars: starry blue musk with mugwort, white mandarin, rockrose, and snow

*Not very snowy

Edited by CaudaPavonis

Here is my all inclusive list -- if you think I left one out, let me know and Ill get it added [sNIPPED FOR LENGTH]

*steals for herself* Great list! :D

Edited by obsidienne

Now that's an amazing list! I love Beth's snow note, so I have a lot of these, and am looking forward to the new scents and also the resurrected ones for this year. :)

Season of the Inundation! It belongs in the "not very snowy" section, but snow is still there. SotI is the scent that made me decide I can handle snowy scents after all. At the time, I had written snow off as being too closely tied in my mind to certain evergreen notes since I have some weird problems with smells triggering The Quease and STABBITY PAIN headaches. I was still being cautious with Snow Glass Apple due to pain fears, but once SotI proved to be bottled awesome, I've decided to try every snow scent I can get my hands on instead of avoiding them all as I had been before (I still can't handle Moon of Ice or Old Moon, though). And the funny thing is that when I tried SotI, it was by accident. I had meant to grab Plastic Pink Flamingo that day. One of the best mistakes I have ever made.

ooo I missed one! went back to add that in -- also you guys let me know if anything should move into the "not very" category

also added Countess of Dolingen based on reviews

also also added Queen of Diamonds and Midwinter's Eve, but to the not very snowy area =)

also also also (in an attempt to not double post) added Carpathian Mountains

Edited by CaudaPavonis

...without mint. I dun wanna smell like mint. Well, I suppose a -little- would be okay. I can't smell the mint in, say, Dracul, for instance.

Cloister Graveyard in the Snow would've been fabulous on me..

....if not for that darn mint.

The closest to what I want that I've tried so far is Vechernyaya, which is in my top 10 scents. It smells "cold" to me, and white musk is one of my favorites.

I know someone is going to say Death of the Gravedigger. I've tried it and something in it almost made me sick. I couldn't smell the snow at all. :( Oddly, the dirt in Nosferatu doesn't bother me at all.

So I come to you.

What do you say?

the snow storm. it's an le from yuletide 2007 but probably won't be too hard to find.

You might like Black Opal. I think it's vanilla, white musk and a touch of what I believe is wintergreen. It's not minty, it's more evergreen, herbal, piney. Anyway, there's just a touch of it that I feel gives the perfume an overall cool feeling even though the vanilla warms it up quite a bit.