Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
12catcrazy

A BPAL like my shampoo, conditioner, gel & hair products

Hi again all! Newbie here with another question - I just placed an imp order for 18 scents from recs on my previous thread, and am already getting a list ready for the next order!

Last week, I was in a beauty store and the owner put some Ojon Hair Treatment on my hair to sample using it. I fell madly, deeply, in love with the scent of the stuff. I get the same hair benefits from a $7 jar of shea butter, and I'd rather spend the 50 bucks on more BPAL, so does any BPAL scent smell like the Ojon?

If you haven't smelled Ojon, its one of these scents that people seem to either love or hate. I found it to smell like a combo of smoke, chocolate, and maybe dirt. Its very, very unusal, and if you read the Makeup Alley forum, you'll see people describing it in different ways. Some people smell coffee instead of chocolate; many people describe it smelling like a cigar or dirty ashtray. I smell smoke but it sure doesn't smell like a dirty ashtray or I wouldn't like it! (I'm a non-smoker BTW).

Anyway, I'd be eternally grateful (at least until my 3rd BPAL order) if someone familar with the Ojon smell could point me in the right direction!

i love the smell of this stuff too!!!

i would say that Misk U is probably the closest to the scent of ojon...

also you might want to give tiresias, possibly djinn a try and combine them... :P

ETA: i completely forgot...ventriloquist dummy is another one that has a similar

aroma...now that you got me thinking more about this, i think i will have to go

home and do a little experiment...will report my findings a bit later.... :D

Edited by sookster

completely revamping this post...

ojon smells very, very much like MiskU but with more vanilla and coffee...

if that makes any sense...so anywho, try MiskU...it is a regular catalog scent

and also at the trading post as sudz...the soaps are so mild you can

use them on your locks...i should know :P

<hijack>I just needed to point out that when I first read the title on the forum's main site, I read "Any BPAL scent smell like onions"... and I went "wth?" :D</hijack>

I'm not familiar with this particular hair product, but from your description I think that (additional to Miskatonic University, which I agree with) you might try to layer a chocolaty scent (Bliss, Gluttony or Boomslang, maybe) with a scent containing tobacco or something incensy (for the smoky part) or something earthy for the "dirt" smell you mentioned... just for the case that MiskU doesn't satisfy your needs. :P

I've never smelled that hair stuff, but it sounds like you might really like Velvet. It's chocolate and sandalwood and very deep.

I've never smelled that hair stuff, but it sounds like you might really like Velvet. It's chocolate and sandalwood and very deep.

Happy to say that I just placed my 2nd BPAL order (still waiting on the first) and I ordered an imp of Velvet as well as Miskatonic U.

I can see that BPAL addiction is really setting in. I ordered 18 imps on my first order, 18 imps on the second, and also bottles of Blue Moon, Thunder Moon, and Selkie. I had bought some imps from Visual Worlds on the forum, and she kindly threw in some extras, so I have had at least a few BPAL scents to play with. Its amazing how the scents grow on you! I'm not a commercial type of perfume person, so I'm surprised at how much I'm loving my BPAL imps!

I usually don't care for aquatic or ozone scents, but BPAL is so different that I ordered the Moons without hesitation... also stretched my boundries with some of the imps that I've ordered. Its just really hard waiting for that order to arrive. I also won a bottle of Dia de los Muertos on eBay, so I should be getting that around Monday. I don't like commercial "foody" scents, so this should be interesting - please feel free to enable me all you want1

I had to come here and report: tried the Miskontic U imp today and I've finally found a BPAL scent that I can't wear! The stuff goes on like the sweetest hazelnut coffee I've ever smelled - gave me a headache and made my eyes burn to boot. The hazelnut died down a bit and then I was left with some ultra-sweet really icky smell. Maybe the "buttered popcorn" a few reviewers mentioned? I was SO disappointed, esp since I've tried about 8 BPAL scents so far and this is the first that I thought smelled awful and kind of turned my stomach. Win some, lose some...

For happier news, I won an eBay bottle of La Dias de la Muertos, and that really rocked! A frimp of Centzon Totochtin was thrown in the package and that gives me an Ojonish type of scent. So far, it looks as if I can wear the dark chocolate scents - a couple frimps of Bliss were also thrown in, and I'm not so fond of that (but then again, milk chocalate isn't my thing either).

I've got something like 45 imps right now, and have barely made a dent in them so the fun continues - I'll keep y'all updated.

You may want to hang onto that Misk U imp for a while to see if you like how it ages. It starts smelling more and more like a library :P

I love the smell of this shampoo too! It hasn't inspired an "OMG this reminds me of ______" moment like some products I have tried (but to be honest, that doesn't happen to me that often). So when I wash my hair tomorrow, I am going to concentrate on the scent and try to see what it reminds me of.

(And this stuff is so worth the price for making your hair color last, and last, and last. If that's an issue for anyone who happens to be reading this thread, you should really try it - although it is a very rich and moisturizing shampoo that's not good for oily scalps.)

I really love the way the TIGI S-Factor Smoothing Shampoo smells. I looked to see what the fragrance is and it is asian pear and papaya.

Does BPAL make any scents that have this note combo? Thanks!

Edited by ivyandpeony
title changed when threads were merged

I didn't find anything with that combo and the only one I found with Asian pear was Spirit Of The Komachi Cherry Tree. It's a salon scent found under Exhibition III.

hmmm... I don't now of any with both of those notes, but I would recommend Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree. Green Phoenix has a papaya note, but i haven't tried it so I don't know how strong it is.

As for tropical fruit notes, I think the BPAL guava note in 51 and Xanthe, the weeping clown is gorgeous. You might want to try one of those.

Wow, that's some sleuthing... I have had so many products I have loved the smell of over the years, and had no idea how to figure out what their fragrance was!

Sometimes you pick up an imp and try it and think to yourself, "this smells just like ____________!" although when you look at the notes, they don't seem to have any in common. So on the chance that someone thinks of a resemblance but doesn't make the Asian pear-papaya connection, it's good that you have the specific product name.

And because of that phenomenon (a BPAL scent smelling like something you've smelled before, even though they don't seem to have any notes in common), I'd definitely work my way through the recommendations in tropical scents and fruity BPAL blends. (I was sure that we also had a thread on pear blends, but I cannot find it!) Apple is similar to Asian pear in many ways, at least when I am comparing the two fruits to one another in the produce department, so that may be another category you want to explore. Given your apparent like of fruity scents so far, I think you will enjoy the research. Have fun!

Thanks everyone for your replies! Thanks also to ivyandpeony for helping add more info to my topic.

I actually used to work for TIGI so that is part of the reason why I know the fragrance notes of the shampoo. I used to wish they would somehow bottle the fragrance and sell it as a perfume but I don't think they would do that.

I will check out the fragrances that you all have listed here and hopefully they will smell similar. If anyone comes up with any more suggestions please fill me in!

As titled.

Google states that it has a "fresh fruit" smell, but I'd hardly describe it as such. Only someone who has used the product would know the lovely, unique fragrance.

Any recs?

(Mod note: Two threads about TIGI threads were merged - this post refers to TIGI Catwalk Curls Rock.)

the shampoo or the conditioner? Because they smell very different to my nose. Both have kind of a tropical fruit vibe though.

Ok I went to smell it, because I too am a curly girl :P I still smell the tropical thing, creamy, floral, soft, mebbe fruity a bit.

The Tikis all smell like cocktail drinks to me, so in my mind they're out - except maybe Tiki Queen.

my top recs:

Machu Piccu - Sweet tropical fruits burst through deep, wet rainforest boughs, enormous steamy blossoms, over thin mountaintop breezes, mingled with the soft, rich golden scent of Peruvian amber (trop fruity)

Manila - A tropical, humid, lush scent, with a faint echo of Pacific breezes, jungle blossoms, and deep wet woods. Sampaguita blossoms, banana leaf, palm, and narra (trop fruity)

Australian Copperhead - Snake Oil with acai berry, amber, cardamom, neroli, and smoked vanilla (fruity, fresh on me anyway)

Sundew - sticky, glowing golden, sweet (clean, sweet)

havent tried them, but maybe: (fruity, tropicals)

Xiuhtecuhtli - Copal, plumeria and sweet orange and the smoke of South American incense and crushed jungle blooms

Ile de la Tortue - Damp air trapped in limestone caverns, heady greenery, hothouse orchids, nicotiana blossoms, bois de chandel, elemi, palm wine, garambullo, pega-pega, flame of the forest, and a swirl of Haitian vetiver

Vasakasajja - skin musk, wild orchid, champaca flower, amaranth, tonka bean, and French vanilla

Shango - red apples, banana, chili pepper, coconut, pineapple, pomegranate and sugar cane

Pele - muguet and Hawaiian white ginger enveloped by warm, damp tropical blooms.

Yemaya - Her ofrenda is a bounty of melons and grapes, strewn with the petals of the flowers of motherhood, draped with sea mosses

Ok I went to smell it, because I too am a curly girl :P I still smell the tropical thing, creamy, floral, soft, mebbe fruity a bit.

The Tikis all smell like cocktail drinks to me, so in my mind they're out - except maybe Tiki Queen.

my top recs:

Machu Piccu - Sweet tropical fruits burst through deep, wet rainforest boughs, enormous steamy blossoms, over thin mountaintop breezes, mingled with the soft, rich golden scent of Peruvian amber (trop fruity)

Manila - A tropical, humid, lush scent, with a faint echo of Pacific breezes, jungle blossoms, and deep wet woods. Sampaguita blossoms, banana leaf, palm, and narra (trop fruity)

Australian Copperhead - Snake Oil with acai berry, amber, cardamom, neroli, and smoked vanilla (fruity, fresh on me anyway)

Sundew - sticky, glowing golden, sweet (clean, sweet)

havent tried them, but maybe: (fruity, tropicals)

Xiuhtecuhtli - Copal, plumeria and sweet orange and the smoke of South American incense and crushed jungle blooms

Ile de la Tortue - Damp air trapped in limestone caverns, heady greenery, hothouse orchids, nicotiana blossoms, bois de chandel, elemi, palm wine, garambullo, pega-pega, flame of the forest, and a swirl of Haitian vetiver

Vasakasajja - skin musk, wild orchid, champaca flower, amaranth, tonka bean, and French vanilla

Shango - red apples, banana, chili pepper, coconut, pineapple, pomegranate and sugar cane

Pele - muguet and Hawaiian white ginger enveloped by warm, damp tropical blooms.

Yemaya - Her ofrenda is a bounty of melons and grapes, strewn with the petals of the flowers of motherhood, draped with sea mosses

NEAT, thank you so much. Machu Pichu and Manila aren't...too foody/fruity, are they? My olfactory organs would not be pleased.

I tried Manila today to be sure - and I think its very similar. Straight from the vial I got crazy banana, but not on my skin. its warmer, almost but not spicy. I think it would be a good match =) I don't like foody, but I do like fruity!