Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sarah

Bordello

A decadent, deep perfume, lusty and luxuriant. The scent evokes images of velvet-lined Old West cathouses, tightly laced corsets, rustling petticoats and coquettish snarls of pleasure. Bawdy plum with amaretto, burgundy wine and black currant.

In the vial, I though I wouldn't like Bordello, as it smelt very sickly sweet. However when worn it toned down a lot, becoming a much lighter, fruity scent, and I actually like it a lot. In fact, it might be one for the 5ml wishlist :P

I was afraid this would be too sweet on skin, even though it was divine in the vial, bubbly and fruity, very juicy. But it turned out even better than expected - subtle fruit, subtle incense, overall a little bitter. perfect combo that works like a charm with my skin chemistry.

Alcohol and fruit. Be still my heart. Succulent plum with a touch of tart currant greeted me instantly. Then the wine trickled its way into the mix. Bordello smells like sinful dark purple.

Bordello is heady and sophisticated. This is something you'd never find at the mall. I'm infinitely pleased by this mellow, sensual perfume. If you like smelling like deep fruity wine, I highly recommend Bordello.

Edited by n1k1ta

i'm shocked that i never reviewed this, as this was in my very first imp pack order, more than two years ago. i just pulled out my two year old bottle, and i have to say: it smells better than ever - sexy, sensual, dark red in tone, and oh-so-fruity. it reminds me of plums and cherries soaked in deep red wine, but somehow bordello doesn't smell boozy to me...also, it is very sweet, but not sickly sweet or artificial. i think i smell blackberry or currant - honestly, i can't remember what the notes are, other than plum...but this is just a rich, rich, womanly, warm scent, with good throw. it always makes me happy when i smell it - i feel enveloped in the scent, and it takes me somewhere dreamy and luxurious...*drool*

In The Vial: Booze. Wine and black currant, definitely, something you sip while you're thinking, I'd hit that and working up the courage to go hit that. More potent then girly froofroo drinks, this is a serious woman's wine when she's about to get her sensuality on. Bawdy? Definitely.

Wet on the skin: I apparently smell like black currants and amaretto, very very clearly-- and it really throws, really thick and heavy. It's almost too powerful, but it just says I am feeling sultry and slick and sticky today, please taste me! so I haven't stopped wearing it. I just like that 'I am so very tasteable' feeling I get with the scent, and I just plain like how it smells, even if it's a little strong.

Drydown: I've gotten several compliments on this, even some time after I've put it on some time ago; the scent stays even after drying. It has an excellent staying power with me, constant and true.

Definite keeper in the imp; I'm not sure I'd use a sex-bomb scent like this too often, so I can't say if I'd buy a big bottle without a man in my life to tease with it.

Smells very similar wet and dry to me. It's wine, grapes, plums. Bright purple. It's fruity and alcoholic but smells kind of commercial. Very reminiscent of something you'd find at Bath and Body Works or VS. Or even a car air freshener.

Overall it's nice, probably a great way to enable people but it's quite strong. The scent lingers for a while even after I've washed it off.

Edited by Chickie

In the imp, distinctly plum & currant. Very fruity and sweet.

On the skin it goes even brighter and brighter, more purple, until the whole thing is just this sort of purple jelly candy glued to my wrist. I LIKE how it smells - I really do - but I cannot imagine ever wearing it as perfume. The amaretto & wine never came out, except for the grapiness of the wine - but no alcohol notes to sharpen things at all.

Bordello-

In Bottle: Berry berry strawberry berry strawberry berry. (I sense a theme.)

Wet: Berry with a hint of creamy floral. Very nice!

Dry: I would call this berrylicious. :P It's got a hint of wine and flowers about it but for the most part is creamy berry, very rich but not cloying to me at all, though I'd be careful about wearing it in too much quantity. But I never do that anyway.

Overall: I like a lot!

Wow, now this is a nice scent. The lab has been spot on with their frimpies this time. In the imp, and on wet, Bordello is all fruit. But it dries down to this sweet fruited wine aroma. Playful, but with a sultry edge. I really like this. After a while, the amaretto makes a rather bold appearance, and I like it even more. I see now why this is such a popular fragrance with the fans. Its yummy!

Before I quite smoking cigarettes...this smelled EXACTLY like strawberry shortcake on me! Not like the kind you eat...like the DOLL from the 80's!

It has this SAME smell on a friend of mine who is still a smoker.

Now though, it has the rich scent...of a bordello! LOL, the sweetness...the richness...the alcohol smell on me...it is one that drives my husband nuts...so um yeah, its a winner!

Who knew? No wonder they got so much action in bordellos, lol!

Bordello is sweeter than I imagined - right after swiping it on my hand I got a heady rush of plum and currant. After about 15 minutes, the sweetness has been balanced a bit by the adult beverage components. It's a lovely scent, but perhaps a bit too sugar-sweet for my taste. I'll keep it, though, and give it another try.

Imp: Super sweet berries.

Wet: Berries, but different from Bewitched and Australian Copperhead. It still has that "clean" feel, but this is more blue and almost pastry like. Yum.

Dry: Pretty much the same.

My first review! I'm in LOVE with Bordello! I must buy a big bottle...and soon! This is just....lovely.

I love sweet smells, so I was ecstatic when I caught a whiff of the imp. Once on, it really develops into a fuller bodied scent though. I keep smelling myself....and it's yummy!

ETA: I can't wait to wear this in public!!

Edited by ladyjc

This is just yummy!

In Imp: Vanilla with floral undertones.

Wet: Vanilla! Floral! More Vanilla! But very pleasing, not cloying.

½ hr. Dry Down: This is a really complex scent. I get deep, warm vanilla and I feel like I always say this, but I smell cherry! It’s the amaretto, I know. The plum is muted and I don’t really smell any wine, but that may come later as it continues to dry. This is one of my faves, I really like it.

This seems to be one of the Lab's most popular scents - and for good reason.

In the imp, it smells of berry- and watermelon-flavored candy. I love watermelon candy, I think it's so underrated.

On my skin, it's more complex than I expected, with a gorgeous creamy vanilla undertone softening the candy scent. Kind of like a fancy berry cream soda, or vanilla ice cream with a berry ripple? I want to eat a dessert that tastes like this.

I'm not a fan of fruit scents in general - I'm all about dark incense and spices with BPAL, and fruit notes are almost guaranteed to smell like cheap candles or air freshener to me. Bordello smells totally artificial, yet it DOESN'T remind me of candles or air freshener, and I love it! I'm going to need a bottle, if only for the layering possibilities. Oh, just think of the layering possibilities! :P

ETA: This did get kind of scented-candle-ish after a few hours, but that didn't ruin the scent for me. I may not need a bottle but will definitely use up the imp. I'll probably wear it layered with something dark and spicy rather than on its own.

Edited by ClareN

This was the first BPAL perfume that I tried, and I fell in love with it instantly, even from just sniffing at the imp!

My thoughts on the smell aren't exactly what's in it -- yes, I can smell the amaretto and wine, but my thoughts on the smell is that it's "warm." I don't know how a perfume can smell warm, I just know that it does. It reminds me of that state your body is in when you've had just enough to drink and you're left in that giddy, tingling buzz, and you've found someone that you're getting on well with to the point that the first flush of titillating arousal hits you. Of course you can't be sure if that flush is from the person in your company or the wine, but it's good none the less.

Delicious, juicy berries mixed with a hint of something. It reminds me a little of The Snow Maiden except is much heavier on the berries which I love. Its lasting power isn’t as strong as I’d like – fades almost as soon as it’s applied. My skin also naturally amps up the floral which I quite like. Will definitely use up the imp and might just get a bottle.

In the Imp:

Very sweet and fruity, but there's a slight bite of alcohol. Like in Schnopps.

On:

It's warm and the plum is outstanding. The amaretto makes a small appearance. I can also recognize the smell of currants from Eat Me in this one. It's sweet and fruity, but without reminding me of food. I would kill to have lip gloss taste like this smells.

Overall:

It's horribly feminine without being girly. It's also just this side of complete decadence. I want to EAT my arm. I still can't decide if this is more Best Little Whorehouse in Texas or Madame de Pompadour. Perhaps somewhere between the two? Definitely my new "sexay-beast!" perfume.

Rating (out of 5):

Edited by Underline2

In the imp: scrummy! Deep purple fruits.

Wet on me: yup, still deep purple fruits; candy-like without being too sweet. A little like grape lollipops?--but there is so much more depth here. Not too boozy yet.

After five minutes: WOW supersexy berries! This is pure fruity goodness and just SO damn delicious! Look, it's making me use CAPS!

No longer like grape lollipops now; just delicious blackcurranty heaven. My boyfriend's going to flip over this when he comes home! :D

Drydown: This does get a bit faint but the scent stays true to its original berry deliciousness.

Excellent! :P

ETA: Much as I love it, I have to admit that this is a fast fader. I get around that by putting some in my hair, which means that I still catch whiffs of it hours later. It will probably be one for a scent locket -- if I get the nerve to ask for a scent locket for my birthday :D

Edited by Baitu

Starts out smelling like grapes and cherries on me, then edges into cherry Pop Rocks over the next twenty minutes as the oil settles in. It ends up smelling like a combination of cherry cough syrup and cherry Pop Rocks--kind of wavers between the alcohol smell of cough syrup (the amaretto gets stronger) and the sharper bite of the candy.

Weirdly enough, this one grows on me. Like Miskatonic, I get a strong impression of a thing and place, rather than a mood--and when I want to be around cherries, alcohol, and a bit of bite, that's fine. Plus, it's just a really *happy* sort of smell.

Bordello

Rich and deep sweet fruits that aren't cloying. The wine gives it a pleasant edge and adds warmth. The amaretto is shy, it doesn't seem to appear until after it's dry and worn, and even then it's barely there. It's predominately fragrant fruit and wine. Almost like Sangria, except richer. This is pleasant. A lot of sweet smells are too thick, and even though this has weight, it's comfortable.

[1 - Hate] .. [2 - Dislike] .. [3 - Like] .. [4 - Really Like] .. [5 - Love]

5 : This is the best fruit scented blend I've tried yet. My husband and I both enjoyed it.

Bordello (pale yellow oil)

Imp: sugar sweet berry candy.

Skin: The imp smelled too sweet, but on skin it is completely different. In its wet stage it smells just like the imp, but as it dries the sweetness subsides and a fizzy drink sort of feel develops. The feel is like sticking your nose on the brim of a cold glass of berry soda: You can't taste the sweetness in your mouth, but you can feel it tingle in the tiny bubbles that pop on the tip of your nose.

Than, is it the amaretto? A tinge of something boozy peaks out too.

Berry candy for grownups, is what I would call this scent. Yummy...I would wear this on a date.

Oh man. Totally awesome. Does anyone ever use any Goth Rosary? Because this smells just like her Fairy Wings scent.

I smell the Plum and berry scent, but I don't get too much of the amaretto when I first put it on.

After it dries for a few hours, I can smell the amaretto now, and it overtakes the fruits, making it a very warm fruity scent.

imp: red jello powder! Or kool-aid.

wet: the same as in the imp

10 minutes later: wonderful sweet wine. Almost like the taste of a nice red desert wine.

drydown: fruit smelling baby powder.

Why must all the bpal i like turn to baby powder on me? i had hoped this would be a winner. I love the smell...for all of 10 minutes. Oh well. :P