Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sarah

Bordello

A decadent, deep perfume, lusty and luxuriant. The scent evokes images of velvet-lined Old West cathouses, tightly laced corsets, rustling petticoats and coquettish snarls of pleasure. Bawdy plum with amaretto, burgundy wine and black currant.

Yum! It's like a sweet sugary plum, with wonderful, rich background tones of currant and smooth wine. It's sweet and sexy and not at all alcoholy. I get almost a candied fruit effect from it. It's definitely sinful and lusty, nothing innocent about this one. Lovely, perfect Bordello, just like a french whore. :P

in the bottle: black currant candy.

wet on skin: This is interesting. Sugary with a juicy background of the black currants. The plums are also in the background, which I'm not digging too much.

dry: hoom. More plum, unfortunately. If it had stuck with the black currant, I'd probably like it a whole lot more.

I really, really wanted to like this one, but at first sniff, it smells like some sickly sweet candy to me, though I can't put my finger on it. I think anything with fruit I really need to stay away from.

I do get some hints of cherry, though I wish the amaretto would come through more. Maybe that is actually what black currants smell like, but I've never smelled them so I can't be sure.

Fruity and sweet scents just don't work out for me!

bordello took awhile to grow on me, but once it did i really liked it.

it smells like wine + sweet cherries. i cant handle light sweet scents, or things with peach, but this cherry deepened by wine is really nice, and gives it more of an edge.

provenance: lab lagniappe love!

in the imp: sugar sweet, jammy fruit. this bodes not well.

on my wrist, wet: fruit flavoured jelly beans. loads of throw. there is something in the background that is trying to say good morning, but my skin amps fruit notes up so high that it is just the tiniest whisper. i want to say it is vanilla or almond.

on my wrist, dry:all right, it is almond. but it is still very much a background note...which is really too bad, as it helps to cut the overpowering fruity sweetness.

i'll keep on sniffing, and sooner or later, i will find a fruit scent that i can wear!

On me: A bit too loud on the purple fruity side.

The cats say: Meh, and "throw my glitterball" respectively. So not a huge crowd pleaser in this household.

Verdict: Kinda meh.

Yum yum yum yum! I love Bordello! I can agree with everyone else when they say it smells "purple". Very fruity, boozy and velvety.

Wet on my skin, the plum is the first thing I notice, mixed with amaretto.

On the dry down this has an almost bubbly scent to it..like bubble bath, but not too soapy. Bordello is just the perfect amount of sweetness.

I LOVE this. I must have a 5ml ^^

In the bottle:Very very sweet and fruity. Though looking at the note list, I can't say -that's- a surprise. :P Definitely can pick up the amaretto, with a hint of something like bourbon; a thick, boozy note that makes it warm and indolent. It might be the 'wine', but I'm thinking more 'cognac' or 'brandy'. Wine is very sharp to me, and this is anything /but/ sharp.

Wet: Hm. Most of the fruit seems to vanish on me, leaving primarily amaretto, and that cognac flavor.

Dry: Plum, currant... pipe tobacco? The 'boozy' scent has become a slightly more leather-and-pipe-tobacco sort of note to me, but the fruit has come back. It's no longer quite so foody, though it's still very sweet and warm. Definitely what I'd call a 'dark' scent. It also has a surprising amount of throw.

Final Opinion:'Love potion' is right. This isn't something you wear to work, or to a movie. This is something you wear when you're hoping to get hot and heavy with someone, and you want to smell like...well, okay, it smells better than sex, I'll give you. The imp is a keeper, but I don't know how much I'll actually wear it. Might try it in the oil burner...

First Impression: Sweet and fruity.

Dries down to: Sugar-frosted berries - I quite like this one, it's not too sweet.

Additional Comments: I get more black currant than plum and the combination is wonderful. I think it's the wine that's keeping it from being too sweet and I'd never guess there was amaretto in here - it's usually such a strong note but I can't detect it at all. All in all, a lovely scent that could be worn every day.

Lasted: A couple of hours.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Bordello – This is very very sweet & floral at the same time, a little like sugared fruits & flowers. I quite like this scent. It’s sunshine in a bottle, but I wouldn’t wear it as it’s too sweet to wear it for any prolonged period. After a few minutes it loses some of it’s neurotic sweetness & starts to grow into a more adult scent. The scent as it is now reminds me of the first perfume my mother bought me. Unfortunately after just 5 minutes this scent has started to disappear on me, although now it’s getting more floral than sweet.

In the bottle, it's very sweet and fruity, which I love. It does smell very purple, a bit candy-ish.

On my skin, it immediately turns almost woody and all the lovely fruity bits get pushed into the background. Way, waaaay into the background. The longer I wear it, the more woody/incensey it gets. I applied it about an hour and a half ago, and it's now all incense with a bit of vaguely floral action going on. A vast change from the bottle scent!

It's lovely, and I think I'm going to try it as a room scent, but probably won't wear it all that often. My chemistry mutates it a bit too much, heh.

Bordello is what I thought O would do for me. This blooms on my skin, it is gorgeuous and very deep.

I love it. In the imp it smells like plums.

As it dries on my skin, the fruits dominate, with a slight edge of wine, and anchored by the amaretto. I can't identify it as amaretto, it is just there deepening the blend, keeping it anchored.

This will definitely be a 5 ml.

This is just a blissful scent. I went to the Spca today and wore Bordello... and let me say I had to promise I would bring back samples of this perfume when I returned.

I can't pick out many notes, because this oil seems so well blended. It's sweet but not too sweet, rich but not too rich. It smells like a ripe plum after you take the first bite. Fresh and juicy and oozing with sweetness. It's pretty much the same from start to finish, this oil didn't morph much on me. It's much stronger when wet, naturally.. but softens and deepens a little when dry.

So beautiful and sexy without being overtly so. If I had to give this one a color, it would be red-violet. I just got this imp today and I've ordered a bottle already.

bordello.jpg

I liked Jailbait but it was wayyy too strong for me. I wanted a fruity scent that was joyous and harmonious (which Jailbait is) and Bordello is it. At first it was too light and I thought "well, I love it but I can't quite smell it..." then it started to dry and warm up. Yesssssssss. Exactly what I wanted. It is plummy and winsome. Evil Hawai'ian Punch but it's not really Hawai'ian Punch. It's the BERRIES! Love it love it love it.

The icon is a photo done by a member of The Cincinnati Art Club. He was a real crazy old photographer whose name I forget other than "Bob". Bob really loved to photograph the ladies and got this one which I thought was the schnitz. I gave it a place of honor when I was running The Attic Gallery and Bob submitted this picture for the "Seven Deadly Sins" show we had. Bob died a couple of years ago, and that made me sad. I had an image of his work in my old low powered camera and I just made it into an icon which I think is far superior to the one I was using. But, it is a homage to Bob. Buddy, if you're watching....thanks for the picture. Hope all is going well with you and that you know you did manage to make me say "Wow!"

Edited by olympia301

This one is amazing. So amazing that it tempted me to write my first review on this board *so nervous*. Thanks to the lovely PennyPretty, I was able to get a 5ml of this. I admit I was a bit wary of it because I hadn't even tried an imp of iet yet, and was already preparing myself for having to swap it away. But today, when it arrived, I was so very pleasantly surprised! This scent is so gorgeous and intoxicating to me. I simply find myself sniffiing my arm ever few seconds. :D

To me it's pure plum wine, berries and vanilla deliciousness. I know the description says amaretto, but to me it's more like vanilla, which I love. It's not too heady at all, which I was afraid it might be. It has just the right amount of throw and scent to it. Just perfect. It has definitely stepped into my top 5 catalog scents. :P

Edited by lushlovely

In the imp: Sweetness and a bit of sour/sharp unpleasantness. o.O

On, wet: Sour has faded a little already. Now it's plummy and a bit boozy. Sweet, but not as kick-in-the-head sweet as Lady MacBeth is on me.

Later: Plum, currant and amaretto. Not really getting a lot of wine, this one is all about the sweet. But still, it's a more tempered sweetness. I like it, a lot.

In the vial: Fruity, juicy, and sweet... with a bit of an edge. This is booze-coated candy, although it doesn't smell overwhelmingly of alcohol in the way that Bon Vivant does.

Wet: The plum grows tart for a few seconds before mellowing out to something very sweet and fluffy. It's sort of like cotton candy, but not quite. This is another case of a scent reminding me of something I just can't put my finger on. And I should mention that this has an extraordinary throw; I can rarely smell a blend without putting my nose right to my skin, but Bordello is wafting all around me now in an intoxicating way.

Dry: It's become total bubblegum, soft and fruity with a tiny bit of powder, and that's not good, because I don't want to smell like bubblegum!

An hour later: Thank god, the bubblegum phase has passed (although this still could be taken as bubblegum, I suppose), and now it's more like what it was on the initial application. It's sweet, fruity, tart, delicious.

Overall: Yes, delicious. I will definitely be keeping this, for the days when I feel bright and sassy.

In the imp this smells so good. It's all berry wine, sweet alcohol, fruity juiciness. The notes blend together very well. It smells sort of a burgandy purple color.

Then I put it on. The note that comes out on my skin isn't quite the play-doh note and it isn't quite the burning plastic note, but it's a whole new unpleasantness that I haven't experienced before. I kept hoping it was just a phase, but no, I am stuck with that awful note. oh well.

This is my very first review, so bear with me. The first ever BPAL scent I've tried.

In the imp: Smells like a cocktail. Like raspberry kool-aid with a touch of liquor to give it a kick. Smells sweet and makes me want to drink it.

On my skin: The sweetness tones down a lot and mellows out. Still has the raspberry-kool aid spiked with liquor smell, but unsweetened kool-aid.

Overall: Very sexy scent. It's not very strong or at least on me, it's not. It's just enough to feel seductive in a subtle way. A woman who doesn't have to try hard, that is appealing just because she is. I think the description of this one is very accurate although not as boozy as I would like, I still love it. Definitely made me happy to lose my BPAL virginity to Bordello.

rooty tooty fresh n fruity!

This is very fruity on me, and I also get a bit of almond. It doesn't really smell sexual to me, in the way Snake Oil or Blood Kiss do, but it is a nice full, dark fruit scent--a bit like fruit-flavored hard candies, but good ones. Num!

The frist time I tried this out, it reminded me of scented candles and I tossed it back into the box. I decided to try it out again.

Bordello starts out as deep sugary plums on my skin. As it dries it smells like a sugar plum candle my fiance bought. It is really fruity, with an underlying note I'm not sure of- smells like musk and vanilla. Completely dry this smells sugary and sweet on me, and the plums are in the background now. I think I smell a little amber in this as well, mingling with the other sweet notes.

I didn't think I was going to like this after the first time I tried it, but I'm glad I gave it a second chance.

Edited by slugbait

Bordello:

In the bottle: Fruity, but in a real-fruit way. Faintly tropical.

Wet: Oy. I can hardly smell this at all. Lemme reapply. Oki. It smells like a tropical drink.

Drydown: It's light, and fruity. Almost like the synthetic strawberry smell...maybe that's the burgundy and black currant mixing?

Conclusion: keep imp

The first time I tried this, I got a stale Juicyfruit scent that wasn't really working for me. :P

This time, I'm getting a nice creamy blackcurrant from start to finish.

I won't need a bottle, but I'll probably keep the imp for days when I'm in a blackcurrant mood. :D

All in all, Bordello on me is sugared fruit. This is in no way a bad thing.

In the imp, I simply smell fruits. I'm not familiar with black currant but if this is how it smells, I'm in love already. On me, at first Bordello is almost too sweet, but after fifteen minues or so it mellows out. The fruit gets more tart, and I can smell the wine (the Lab's wine note and my skin are totally BFFs) in the forefront, with smooth, sweet sugar and amaretto in the back.

This is a wonderfully girly scent, perfect for a date or any time I'm feeling like a flirt. :P

Oh sugar-coated naughtiness! Crimson and pink, satin and strawberry wine. Bordello isn't candy-sweet, but rather boozy sweet. I love the fruitiness of it, and it's got a sassy-tangy edge. Delightful.