Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sarah

Bordello

BORDELLO: decadent, deep perfume, lusty and luxuriant. The scent evokes images of velvet-lined Old West cathouses, tightly laced corsets, rustling petticoats and coquettish snarls of pleasure. Bawdy plum with amaretto, burgundy wine and black currant.

In Bottle: Plummy perfume.

On Skin: Very fruity and delicious. I know I’m going to love this one. The wine doesn’t overpower it and it doesn’t have any musky notes so it’s stays sweet and juicy. I can’t explain how pretty it is, I don’t think of a tawdry bordello at all… it seems more elegant. The fruits compliment each other so well and even though it has 2 alcohol scents in it, it doesn’t smell boozy. I want a larger bottle of this.

Wow. I can't believe I forgot to review Bordello, especially since it's one of my favorites. It's also the best plum scent by far.

In the bottle, I smells lots of candy plums. On me, sweet plums, got that same candy sweet scent as Midwinter's Eve, but as it dries down, the scent launches into the air. Wine notes love my skin & any fruit note combined with the wine note makes the scent launch. I don't get any scent from wine notes. Literally. I had a friend follow me through the store by scent.

It's the scent of sweet purple plums wafting about me, though the amaretto likes to hang closer to the skin. The candy scent is less noticeable by this point, but I reek of plums. I still haven't found another plum scent to match this one.

Oh so sexy, sexy, sexy! I think I'll use this when I want my husband to say "Mmmmmmmm...what is that you're wearing?" He notices everything. It's not too strong, and the drydown is perfect amaretto.

Fresh berries in carbonated rum. Kind of smells like a concentrated wine cooler. Cloying over warm, sweet strength. Goes to grape-cherry bubble gum, then adds in the amaretto. Summery. Good all-out innocent partying scent. An innocent, sweeter Blood Amber, to me.

At first, candy sweet, cloying... Sweetness fades a bit upon drying & then mostly amaretto with the other notes making a fleeting appearance here and there. I like it! Which is interesting, not usually too keen on amaretto but the other notes make it just right :D

The wine is what I get the least of, its more of a "feel" that its there, if that makes any sense.

Definitely lusty and....succulent...sticky hot & humid, in the best of ways...like the sticky heat of naked bodies during and after a *tear each other's clothes off, close to raunchy* "encounter"~YUM!

This one, so far, stays with you(okay me) for a good while :D Its *trying* to give me a headache(stupid allergies) but I like this enough that I'm going to use my imp & probably, eventually, get a bottle.

:update: Hours later, I'm in love...Definitely on the *must have a big bottle* list!! On a whim, layered it with Snake Oil and oh my!!! Even better!! Everything I said before, oh yeah!! :P

Edited by Eros

OH! I *like* this. I was really very afraid, since the description sounds similar, that it would turn rubbery on my skin like Lady Macbeth did, and for a moment it seemed like it would, but then it turned around and went from sweet and potentially rubbery to red winey in an instant and I was just devouring the winey scents. So yum, not so much boozey but the smell of sweet red wine in the glass. I'm starting to think that plum/berry/currant scents don't work on me, but this one did and still smelt great when I woke up the next morning.

Edited by innerellipse

Mmmm very fruity-sweet and slightly tart! I can definately smell the amaretto, but not booze, really. A sweet, delicious oil, but not really something I'd wear as a perfume.

okay, I have a fruit problem.

it either dissappears within a few hours or less, or turns cats pissy.

but this one doesn't.

the warmth of it holds the fruit there, and stops that nastiness turning up.

I think this one is a success for me.

although it does need reapplying a few times a day, but not as much as most of the fruities (at least the non felinewiddle ones) do.

In the bottle- plum and amaretto. Yum!

Wearing- the plum really comes through. The amaretto gives this a candy sweetness. It makes the whole scent a bit foody. I'd prefer it a little less foody, but it's still really nice.

This scent is juicy, but he candy notes temper juiciness. I don't love it quite as much as Megaera (still one of my top 3) because it's a bit too foody. But still, it's a really lovely scent.

The plum fades faster than the sweet parts of teh scent, so further into its life it's all sweet and not fruity, and then it morphs into a strong amaretto scent, including the bite of a strong alcohol, like a sip of brandy.

Overall, really nice scent. Something I'd definitely wear more often. It really does evoke the image of a bordello.

Oh my. I love this so much I'm almost at a loss for words.

It's sweet and sexy and the description is perfect. You know the part in Western movies where the bad guy is in the brothel with his lover and the good guy bursts in and a gunfight ensues with the combatants ducking and covering around the four-poster bed? Bordello is how that lover smells, the one who is rushing to cover up with the sheet and feigning surprise, but really was the one to betray the villain in the first place and expected this all along.

And even knowing that she betrayed him? I'll bet that black-hatted gunslinger still wants to bury his face in her breasts. I want to bury my face in her breasts...and I'm a straight woman. Bordello is just that good.

Bordello

A frimp with my most recent order from the lab.

Smells sweet and fruity. Like cherry chapstick or twizzlers. Its a soft sweet scent. There's a touch of citrus behind it but it is mostly soft and sweet with a strong berry note. Its a very innocent smelling sweet. It is getting a bit deeper as it dries and a touch more incensy. I get a slight boozy note from it but overall its cherry chapstick to me. It isn't cloying but I don't imagine I'll ever have any desire to smell like this. I'm not really a fruity scents sort of gal.

In the bottle: Another freebie imp tossed my way by a very lovely person that I swapped with. Boozy and full of currant scent at the same time. It has something of a medicinal smell to it that isn't pleasant, but I'm not sure which note might be making it smell that way.

Wet: Very plum and currant with the medicinal background note to it still. I also drenched the label in the oil as this imp was full to the top. I'm not sure what amaretto smells like and I have a poor sense of the smell of burgandy wine, but this does have a very booze note to it as well as something else that's making my stomach turn a little.

Dry down: A slightly fruit scented...I don't know. Very booze and yet medicinal at the same time. It's not...it's not a scent that I'll wear because it's actually making me a little bit ill, but I could see where it would be a lovely scent on other people. The booze notes lie beneath the surface and seem to taint the relatively sweet fruit notes.

Dry: The only note with a booze background I can wear is Eggnog. Most of them just make me a little sick to my stomach and Bordello is no exception to that rule of my skin chemistry. Oh well. It could have been lovely.

This was my first BPAL fragrence, and what a start. This smells very sweet in the bottle. Lots of berry scent with just a hint of booze. On, it smelled a bit like preserves in a very pleasant way. It was pretty long lasting (about six hours) and subtle. I got many compliments on it at work. Everyone thought I smelled like a piece of pie or a fruity drink, and oddly enough, my bartending tips improved. Coincidence? Maybe, but I will be wearing this to wrangle the drunks more often.

This isn't the dark, sensual plum that I love in a lot of bpal's limited edition blends (Hellion, Tarantula Fascinator, Black Moths, Lady Lucille Sharpe, First Cry of the Warbler, etc). This is a bright, sweet, breezy, candied fragrance. Almost more of a candied blueberry or blue raspberry than plum to my nose. Juicy, syrupy, heavily sugared fruit candy. Kind of reminds me of gummi bears, but way sweeter than gummi bears. Cloying, simple, and starts to give me a headache after a while.

Edited by Little Bird

This was a frimp from the lab... I typically order florals, incenses, and citrus, because sweet gives me the fear. But here goes.

In the bottle: Bubble gum. Plain ol' pink Bubble Yum bubble gum. Under that kind of a bananary aroma... makes me hungry, but not something I necessarily would choose.

On: What I interpreted as banana must be the plum note. The fruitiness is more noticeable now during drydown

Dry: Okay, wtf is that medicinal smell? It's subtle but it's definitely there... oddly enough, this is the first part of this blend that makes me think of a bordello. It smells like an old-west general store, now.

Overall: Sorry, no... this is a great room fragrance, but on it's just too bubble-gum for me.

Bordello

Origin: Part of my Western Catholic Death order.

Preconceived notions: (from my journal after reading reviews - to give an indication of what I was thinking):

-this is Dionysian!

-sexy, rich maroon lewd, deductive, sultry, heady, potent, corsets & bustles, decadent & sinful, drunk on wine, a wild thorny berry patchi n the moonlight, something a stripper would wear, not deep or mysterious.

In the vial:

Sweet strawberries - like strawberry syrup. *worries*

On me:

Sweet strawberries and wine - I want to drink this. Mmm... Not sure if I want to smell like it, though. I think I’ll compare it with Bon Vivant to see which strawberry scent is best. *looks at notebook* Oh, wait, this isn’t strawberry, it’s currant. No wonder it smells so good.

In 10 minutes:

Now, I’m getting some smoke along with the sweet strawberries. This is a great enhancement. Makes it less chokingly sweet, and darkens and deepens it.

In 45 minutes:

The same.

Overall:

My preconceived notions were right on. Read them and forget the rest. This is excellent.

Bordello starts off as fruity bubblegum and soap, but once it dries, it calms down into a darker, dusty plum scent. As it fades, it shifts between smelling like the dusty plum and lip gloss.

I should say that I don't know how my skin handles fruit yet, since this is my first predominantly fruity scent.

I don't think that this will be a big bottle for me, but I like it enough to keep the imp around for further testing.

Bottle (Imp): Oooh yummy sweetness. A red juicy sweet.

Just On: Bursting red juicy sweetness, and oh so lovely. Almost fruit punch-like. I LOVE this.

An hour or two later: There's still some sweetness, but not as much, and it's not so juicy.

Around 6 hours: It's almost all gone, leaving just a faint hint of fruit.

12 hours: This pretty much faded away, though I can smell the barest little bit of it now.

Overall: This heads for the big bottle list. The berries fairly burst on my skin, and I am so tempted to go berry picking right now.

After reading other reviews: Plums! They smell like berries to me, and I love them. This isn't just plums, or I'd probably have known it, but it's delicious, and wonderful.

I just got this in an imp pack today, and when I opened the bottle, I had to put it on. I simply adore this oil. The plums come out really strong in the bottle and when I first put it on my skin, and that is wonderful, but then it dries down to this smooth, smoky sweet, sexy smell that I have already fallen completely in love with. I must own a big bottle of this. Must. Own. :P

On me this is very fruity, dark and sparkling currants and deep lushious plums. If it had stayed like that I would have been a very happy girl, but sadly it was not to be. It faded very quickly, a little bit of musk remained and did it's best, but it was too harsh for my nose and then that went as well :P .

Bordello, WHOA.

Full of fruit, sweet, sweet fruit. Almost feels as if you had just indulged in a rich, plummy dessert. Wet, dry, six hours later, it all smelled the same on me. The decadent amaretto just wraps its soul around you.

This scent is so wonderful that I wanted to sleep with myself. I immediately set about looking up leather corsets and full, fabric skirts, so that I may burst out as strongly as the perfume did.

I cannot wait to order a big bottle of this one... I will bathe in it, if possible.

Rating (on skin): 3/5

Summarised in a word or two: Berry wine.

In the imp/bottle: Dark plum, currant and wine.

On skin, wet: This reminds me of Midwinter's Eve: it's very fruity, and very sweet.

On skin, dry: Midwinter's Eve with wine. This doesn't seem like a very deep perfume at all, but it -is- very decadent, and almost cloying.

Conclusion: Great in the burner, not on my skin.

Edited by Aredhel

At first it is really sweet and fruity...for the first hour I didn't think I liked it...reminds me of a bayberry candel my mother had as a child...then cotton candy, but a little spicy... the backseat of an old boyfriend's car (strawberry air freshener?).

2 hours later the fruitiness has mellowed, melded with my skin, not fermented, as I was fearing. The thick, almondy ameretto lingers. There is a whispering breath of wine.

This was a gift from the Lab (thank you so much). I would not have chosen it, but I will definately wear this to summertime evening parties!

Edit 8/12/05

This has turned into both my and DH's favorite. After I have worn it a few days in a row, it builds up and is a really sexy sweetness without a fakey fruit smell. I relish in the almondyness, but DH, who "says" he dosn't like almond, wants to eat it up, too. I get lots of compliments...Definately a big bottle!

Edited by lookingglass

I have been looking forward to smelling Bordello, and today....shazam! In my order came a frimp!

Immediately and fleetingly, I smell an almost indole note....rich and fetid, fecal. But thank god that swiftly softens, sweetens and slides...bam! into a bright sparkling berry/plummy realm and becomes fun and yes, RED! :D

Bordello is a cheerful playful mood elevating scent and I think I will certianly try it in a candle burner tonight....it's Friday night :P

Edited by fragrantgrasse

Although I do like fruity scents, I don't normally consider fruity as sexy. This has changed my mind. The plum is the main note here with the wine just balancing it nicely. This screams out sexy, sinful, and ready to play to me. It doesn't fade fast, but doesn't have much throw either. That's the only thing that would have made this scent a perfect ten for me. Really glad I got to try this!