Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sarah

Bordello

A decadent, deep perfume, lusty and luxuriant. The scent evokes images of velvet-lined Old West cathouses, tightly laced corsets, rustling petticoats and coquettish snarls of pleasure. Bawdy plum with amaretto, burgundy wine and black currant.

Bordello
The one the boyfriend picked out. (I think I'd narrowed it to Bordello or Loup Garou)

IN THE BOTTLE:
half flowery/sandlwood, half tangy berry/very faint vanilla (the flowery/sandlewood may have come from
the label or from some other i'd dripped on myself accidentally earlier)

ON ME - FIRST MINUTES:
Sort of a dusky, dark berry scent. It reminds me of something, but I can't quite place what.
It's almost a hint of powdered sugar in there, too. I also sort of smell... like... daisy? I think?

BOYFRIEND THINKS:
I don't want to say "candy," but... sort of like a cherry Runt? Very edible.

ON ME - HOURS LATER:
It lasts a long time depending on where I put it - under my watchband, it stays almost all day... if it rubs
from my neck onto my shirt, it stays. On my wrist, a couple of hours... and it fades to a baby-powdery scent.
At first, I was leery of that, because baby powder is kind of ick, but I've found I can deal with it.

After using it a few times, the boyfriend and I have agreed it is tasty and fantastic. :P
I want to use it everyday, but have settled for sticking the imp in my purse so I can pull it out when I want it.

A frimp from the lab.

In the imp, sweet candy sweet floral.

Wet, on me, cotton candy. Well, maybe cotton candy in a flowering garden.

Drying, there are berry notes becoming more noticable. Blackcurrant? I'm not sure. Maybe it's a big heaping bowl of mixed berry candies.

Oh, and the flowers I thought I could smell earlier are overwhelmed by the purple sweetness. I can't tell if they are there anymore.

People are going to think I brought sweets in to the office today.

Just a bit later, the scent is getting a little smoother. It is still really sweet, but, tending slightly more to the sweetness of a dessert, or a fruity cocktail. I'm reminded of the bed and breakfast that my husband and I stayed in for a couple nights on our honeymoon. They had a glass jar full of fruit steeping in alchohol on a sideboard, though I didn't actually have any, and I don't recall what alcohol they actually used...If it were a mostly plum and blackcurrant mix with brandy over it, that could be this scent.

Several hours later, the drop on my elbow still smells like fruit steeped in sweet wine, but, there's this tantalizing whiff of tobacco coming from my wrist. It's about like the smell of an empty cigar box, and it is less apparent if I go close and sniff my wrist. My wrist is where it is coming from, though. If there is any tiny bit of a resin or incense, my wrists seem to amp that, and eliminate most other scents. apparently it has found just a hint of tobacco in the scent. I hate the smell of cigarettes, but, I have found other tobacco scents very appealing in the past. Cigar boxes and pipe tobacco usually smell so much better than cigarettes that I wonder what they do to cigarettes to make them so unappealing to me.

Anyhow...I went home at lunch and put on more Bordello. Mmmm. :P

Edited by Aerinha

It smells like ripe, aphrodisac fruit, and a rich, rich wine. The fruit is very sweet, almost like a hard candy. I like this scent, it's very fun.

This is ABSOLUTELY the fruity I was looking for! It's dark and lush and lusty. At first it smells like a Starburst, and actually made my mouth water. After a bit, it mellows into a deep, gorgeous scent, and it lasts all day for me.

In the bottle: Ripe plum, rich fruity wine, and juicy black currant. Hints of warmer sweetness and spice.

Wet: Plum, grapey wine, currant. Intensely fruity and quite sweet, but not cloying. I can smell a bit of sweet liqueur, though it's only faintly almondy. Dark and sexy and lush!

Dry: The amaretto is amping, providing a sort of bitter-warm and almost creamy depth which checks the ripe plum and grape-wine notes. Black currant remains juicy-tart and strong.

Summary: Ripe, intense plum, deep fruity wine grapes, and bitter-almond (not at all the almond extract benzaldehyde type), alcoholic warmth. The bright currant note fades a bit, but not too much. Sweet, rich and complex, without being overwhelmingly dark or cloying. Decent throw & lasting power.

My favourite plum blend so far! I'm definitely holding onto my imp and may want more. :P

I was digging through my purse looking for lip balm when... there was an imp there. I keep my travelling imp in a velvet pouch in a zipped compartment in my bag so I furrowed my brow, plucked the imp out and read "Bordello." Bordello is on my wish list because I thought that I had no Bordello. On this rainy Thursday afternoon I found myself staring in confusion at a little bottle of perfume oil in my hand when it hit me: this imp was an imp from God.

Or not. But anyway, mystery imp.

Imp: Cherry koolaid-ish. I'm getting a very liquid and boozy scent from this. It smells sort of like a shooter I once had.

Wet: Pure fruity edible goodness. My god this is gorgeous. The plum is sweet and fruit, the currant adds a great element and the wine and amaretto behave themselves and don't make me smell like I had a three martini lunch (erm... not that I did. I'm just saying). There is a brief plastic phase, but that burns off after about ten seconds on my skin.

Dry: The scent stays true. OMFG this is beautiful. It's like if Blood Rose and Blood Countess (two of my favourites) had a baby. It's so bright and sunny and absolutely what I needed as I stare wistfully out the window at the rain.

Throw: I put it on at my desk while I was alone in the office. One of my coworkers came back and sniffed the air. "That's one's nice."

Overall: What a great afternoon pick me up. This is a beautiful scent and I might have to have a smell off to decide if I'll aquire a bottle of this or Lady M.

Wet in imp:

plum and booze

Wet on skin:

plum candy

Drydown:

turning to fruity wine with plum candy

Wearlength:

Still around later in the day

Final impression:

I think Bordello is a bit too sticky-sweet for me. It's not unpleasant. I just don't want to smell like it. I can pick up the tutti-frutti similarity others have noticed.

In the imp, this smells like thick, plummy, wine.

On my skin, I get wine with a hint of plum - something sickly sweet.

When it dries, it's totally boozy, totally plummy - I had high hopes, but it's way too sweet for me.

In The Bottle

Amaretto, indeed.

On Application

Really sweet with the fruit amping initially. Nice so far

Dry Down

Thank goodness for the black currant which keeps this scent on the good side of sickly sweet. The amaretto moves to the back to allow the juicy plum and currant to shine in the first stages of drydown. There is a slight sourness from the wine which, combined with the tart currants, gives this scent a maturity which is nice.:P

Rating (0-5)

Wet: Divine. Sweet, juicy, fruity plums and currants. This is what I want merlot to taste like...

Dry: loving that juicy sweet berry smell; yummy!

Verdict: This one's a keeper; for once, since there are no cherries, I get that beautiful red berry flavor with no medicine aftertaste!

This smells like a cheap hooker. I don't know how else to describe it, but the smell makes me sick. It's that damn plum note again... Plum AND booze in the same blend does not make my skin happy. It turns into cherry cough syrup on me.

Bordello makes me think of dark dark red velvet. So deep and luxurious, smooth, sultry...

...it's a little suffocating, actually, in its sweetness. I don't think anything went awry when it hit and settled onto my skin, but I can't pull off this decadence. It's dark red fruits, not tart in the least, grounded by syrupy armaretto. Stays true throughout the day.

Above average throw, long wearlength. Bordello wears me, and that's the dealbreaker.

In the imp this is sugary sweet tastiness. It's like fruity candy, but there's something that keeps it sophisticated. It doesn't go all FRUIT PERFUME!!!1111 on me, which is great, cause I wouldn't be able to handle that. It's all dark fruit and juicy darkness. A good pick-me-up for a long day at work!

ETA: Hours later, it gets even deeper, with sweetness at the center. Just kind of richer. Very hard to describe.

Edited by ViolaVanWilde

This is a very boozy plum. The most predominant note is the plum - boozy and sweet. Very rich.

I'm not sure I'm all that fond of plum... :P

In the bottle- A cherry candy smell. Like Lady Macbeth, but a darker.

On me- It starts out pure candy, but as it fades it morphs. There’s a strong current of wine mixed with a dusty floral smell. Further on, the dusty floral takes over, and while the wine is still there, it’s only enough to lend a bit of bite and fruitiness. I like this one a lot, better than Lady Macbeth, which stays too fruity for my taste. It seemed to fade pretty quickly, but then it came back, more of the dusty floral with a bite. Interesting that there's actually no florals. It almost reminds me of how dragon’s blood settles on me. About an hour in it's back to the dark fruit smell, with a hint of cream and dust. I like this a lot, not enough for a bottle, but definitely keeping the imp.

Very fruity in the bottle and wet on skin. As it dries, I start to get a bubblegum smell. Once it dries, however, there's more of an underlying musk, but it's still really fruity. I think, "This is a fun scent." Then my husband smells it, and he LOVES it. Doesn't get the bubblegum thing at all. Thinks it's like crazy sexy. So definitely a keeper.

Edited by cam

Sugared fruit and wine is what I get out of this! The wine is a very in the background twang, but for the most part this is a very sweet scent

in bottle: smells like candy

on skin: this smells like creamy candy BBS but with a faint watermelon like watery smell to it aswell. it's quite nice but i'm not sure it warrants a bigger bottle.

In the imp...berry overload...this is not what I was imagining at all.

Wet on me, it's more like cherries, which isn't entirely a bad thing, but not really something I want to be smelling of. Cherries are something I love to eat, but I don't find the idea of smelling of cherries incredibly appealing.

Dry - The fruit notes seem to be heading towards banana, and I'm smelling like a fruit salad, which again, while intriguing, isn't entirely what I had in mind.

Later on, while the fruit notes are still strong, the banana smell has thankfully totally gone, and a smoky, incense note has arrived...if it continues in this vein, I will be happy to wear the rest of the imp, but the morphing process has freaked me out enough to not be wanting a full bottle.

got this as a frimp from the lab and decided to try it even though i don't really go for fruit or wine notes.

it smells good in the imp- red fruits, and not fake or sickly.

on my skin it's actually quite nice! very candylike but not in a cloying way. it's candy for adults. i'm not getting any of the sourness i usually get from wine notes. there is something making this slightly warm and...smoky?spicy? just a little though. it's yummy.

if this were a wine, a juice, a compote, or a candy, i would ingest it wholeheartedly; if it were a candle i would burn it endlessly. but as delicious as it is, i'm going to pass the imp on because though wonderfully blended, it's just not a "me" kind of scent.

Wonderful Plum, currant, and amaretto just rounds this off to the perfect sweetness. :P I will be loving this bottle until it is gone.

In the imp: Fruity, candy sweetness.

On skin: Candy sweetness, a little powdery, but not cloying. After a minute or so the soft sweetness fades, and a brasher note makes an appearance. It's a tart, dark fruit, and acts as an interesting counterpoint to the innocent, candy sweetness.

~40 mins: Rich, purple fruits. Plum and blackcurrant, with a dusting of icing sugar to give it a candy-like touch.

Hm. Not convinced with this one, but to be fair, it was a long shot. I get a deep, dark purple vibe off this. Lots of plum and lots of wine that unfortunately turns into a cloying cough syrup scent. Rats!

There is a nice powdery layer beneath the fruit though.

Huh. I was looking forward to a rich red berry from this one, but not quite...

In the imp: stickily sweet

Wet: Sour jolly ranchers (does such a thing exist?) and Nerds candies. Gives me a sticky feeling in my throat, like I just gorged on candy.

Dry: To its credit, this doesn't morph into baby powder on me (although many others do, sadly. haha) It does have a bit of a soapy tinge though, but I can ignore it.

I was quite undecided on this one (meaning I probably wouldn't buy a bottle) and I asked my boyfriend what he thought.

Boy: "It smells fruity."

Me: "Good kind of fruity?"

Boy: "No. It's like... candy."

Me: "Good kind of candy?"

Boy: "No."

I guess I won't be getting a bottle! I'll probably hang onto the imp and see if aging it helps any....