Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Yvaine

Josie

Heady magnolia and honeyed peaches.

In the bottle: Creamy peaches and honey. I can't really smell magnolia, although I don't really know what Magnolia is supposed to smell.

Wet: Peaches and Cream with a bit of honey. Just that. No strange morphing. But a natural peaches and cream, not artificial candy flavor.

Dry: Oooohh! The magnolia comes out! Luscious, beautiful, sweet and heady. I'm loving this!

Overall: This is what I wanted/expected peach moon to smell like! :wub2: Reminds me of a peachy katrina Van Tassel. Peaches and Creamy sweet lush Magnolia. Delicious and lovely and feminine and light and lasts all day and I can only say good things about this scent.

I will start out by saying. .. LOOOOOOVE! This was the only scent from the District that sounded like it might even potentially work and it did not let me down! This may be my new "go to" scent.

In the Bottle: Fresh southern peaches with just a drizzle of honey and a backing of a summer warmed magnolia somewhere in the distance.

Wet: The magnolia is stepping up and the honey is almost too much to overpower the peaches which have taken the backstage now. This is really heady.

Dry: Peach has stepped back up to the front, and is ripe and juicy with just a hint of warm honey, the magnolia is probably at it's strongest now, but is soft and warm and just lovely. Depending on how the wiff hits me, it trades places back and forth with the peaches for dominance.

This thing has some THROW and some staying power. When I was gifted with my BPALs, I had a bad sinus infection and couldn't smell a thing. This was the first thing I was able to smell (that, and then my parents' ancient basset hound's farts -ack!). It is definitely one of the most potent oils I've ever tried, but not in a bad way, and not at all cloying. Reminds me a lot of real magnolia trees, you can smell them for what seems like miles, but it's never "too much."

The peach is amazing in this blend! Like I just picked it right off the tree and took a bite. The magnolia is a nice contrast, and it's like I'm in my yard in the middle of the summer. I wasn't sure how much I was going to like this one, but I love it!

Edited by ffiferoo

This started out as lush honey drizzled on peaches! :yum: And then came the magnolia....:thud: It has taken over and that's all I smell. :( Which makes me very sad as this was the first honey and peach scent that actually worked on my skin. :( *sigh*

This is gorgeous =) I really wanted to try this because I love the peach in Aglaea and Tamora and Belle Vinu.

I dont recognize the floral, but its obviously magnolia -- its cool and almost night time over the sticky sweet peach. Neither is overwhelming, and the honey plays nice (not the powder or the bubblegum kind). The cool magnolia over the warm peach is intriguing and I keep getting the ghost of a spice somewhere.

I don't get any peach from Josie. None.

That's okay, though, because the magnolia is gorgeous and ever so slightly soapy; just like the complimentary toiletries I used to get in my favorite Savannah bed & breakfast.

Josie is obviously a very Southern girl, as this is evocative of thick, lush, heavy Southern air. Love!

edit on 2/4 to update: Oh, so there's the peach. Lots of peach. Yowza. Fortunately (because I found the peach so strong as to be cloying and slightly offensive), it burns off my skin in record time, leaving that creamy magnolia behind.

Edited by Leopard403

I really like this one...it's kind of southern belle-ish, like I feel Peach Moon and Kindly Moon are too.

First sniff from the decant vial: pretty much all of the listed notes are there, fruity honey, peach, and fresh dewy magnolia. I guess I hadn't really smelled magnolia before, or at least not in blends where it stood out, because I hadn't realized I love it! It's very fresh-smelling, and sort of white and powdery like gardenia, but different.

On my skin, the dewy flowers dominate the scent, with peach and honey being more in the background. Much like Peach Moon, this scent says, HI, IT IS SPRING AND WE HAVE FLOWERS!...andmaybealsopeachbutwewon'tmentionthat. I think I prefer this to Peach Moon, though...it's fresher and less perfumey.

Twenty minutes later: okay, now I smell peach. It's a very sweet peach, and it doesn't really come out on its own until the scent's been on my skin for a while. The magnolias are still there, and are still lovely. I like Josie a lot! I've been looking for a bottle-worthy peach scent, and I think this is it.

This is one of my four District scents. I had ordered Emma over the holidays- love it. Today at the will-call I picked up Lulu, Crib Girls and Josie.

In bottle: Glorous, glorious boozy peaches and honey

Wet: Magnolias comin' in.

Drying down: OMG, Dior's Poison??????? Go away and send Josie back in. I hate Poison.

More drying down: OK, getting better, but I'm not sure if I love it yet.

Considerations: This scent may go weird on me, I may have too many tried-on scents fighting one another or my migraine is playing tricks on me.

Conclusion: This is a lovely scent. I like it. If it goes off with my chemistry, that's what my scent locket is for.

The District scents are beautiful and unusual "boudior" scents.

Edited by Tanya

This one is an odd blend on me, I get a peachy floral. But on wet, there's a very green/vegetable/plant-like base that almost smells like when you cut up green pepper. It dries to a honey magnolia, which is sad, since I love peaches.

Imp smelled very sweet and flowery..sort of like honeyed flower petals.

Wet and dry the oil smelled the same on my skin, heavy on the magnolias and light on the peach. It's very pretty and southern but a little too much floral for me. I'm glad I got to try it though (:

This is my favorite of all the scents I've tried so far. It smells overwhelmingly peach to me in the bottle, with maybe a hint of honey, but on me I can smell the magnolia blending in and it's just gorgeous. It's definitely honeyed peaches with a flourish of magnolia petals--beautiful! My boyfriend also can't stop smelling me when I have this on, so that's an added benefit. :lovestruck:

Upon first whiff my initial reaction was akin to, "Whew! Josie! My sinuses are cleared!" This is a really powerful scent with tons and tons of concentrated peach and honey goodness. The magnolia lends it a very slight floral edge giving it a depth beyond peach and sweetness.

On me, I immediately get the peaches mixed with magnolia. The honey is still there, adding a lot of sweetness to the scent and bonding the peaches and florally-goodness together. On drydown, Josie ends up losing the peach note after a few hours. A normal thing for me as my skin usually eats the peaches first. This leaves me with honeyed magnolia, a beautiful full floral with excellent lasting power.

The initial application of Josie is really strongly scented but when it mellows out as the hours go by the scent comes closer and closer to the skin.

I got a prototype of Josie in a swap, but from reading the reviews it sounds very close to the final product. In the bottle and at first it is a very strong sort of peach schnapps smell, which I think is the honey and magnolia really amping up the ripe peach flavor. As it dries, the brandy note fades and what is left is a juicy, southern languid Magnolia scent that is just gorgeous. Peach Moon was a sharper, fresh peach, perhaps not even just ripe yet. Josie is that peach where it's almost too ripe, but perfectly soft and juicy. It evokes New Orleans and madames for sure.

Oh Josie, you were supposed to be so perfect. I love honey and peaches. In fact, I can't get ENOUGH peaches.

In the imp, it's perfect. so sweet and fruity. and a little bit of floral...it depends on the floral, but i think this magnolia will work.

WRONG.

oh so wrong. First, I slathered it on because it smelled so good and sweet. Then, the magnolia came out soooooo strong. It was cloying.

I won't even keep the imp. I won't wear this again.

Josie is a show stopper and really makes me curious about all the other District girls...

Don't plan on layering this one! There's a nice duality about the magnolia and peaches but I can't smell anything else I've tested today.. that's fine with me. I stink good. I guess that's an ideal quality /attractive for a uuhh "woman of the night"?

the magnolia balances any possible jolly rancher squelch from the peaches. This is my new "man trap" scent! hahahah

Edited by SophieCedar

This description just screams Southern, doesn’t it?

In the decant: This smells like canned peaches to me. Is that weird?

Wet: Peaches and cream, but I’m still smelling canned peach syrup. Maybe that’s the magnolia’s influence.

Drydown: Josie is much more balanced in this stage. I can actually smell the magnolia now.

Later: Fantastic. Southern summer dreaminess. Josie is one pretty lady. Definitely my favorite District scent so far.

In the imp, it's exactly as stated - sweet peaches, magnolia, a lovely little Southern-style scent.

Then it hits my skin.

"AUUUUGH! AUUUUUGH! GET IT OFF OF ME NOOOOOW!" was the sound of my mental scream; it turns to really strong, plasticky department store potpourri. I'd hoped that, since peach blossom is a lovely note for me, peach might be the same, but once again it reinforces the valuable lesson that me + fruit in perfume = disaster. I hope someone else will enjoy this imp more than me!

I was gifted a partial bottle of this in a swap and I love it! (thank you! <3) It's a very rich and fleshy floral. The magnolia is made sweeter with the addition of honey and peach and sometimes I think it smells like gardenia & honeysuckle. This is very feminine scent and I agree with Reedsong that it's Southern-style and I envision a classy woman in Savannah, GA or Charleston, SC wearing his on a hot day. It's not foody to me even though I get the peach and honey but more like a tropical floral with a golden halo. Just lovely. :wub2:

The use of the word "heady" in the description sort of made me want to push this away, but as soon as I smelled it I knew I wanted it all the time. It is a suspect in headaches (as I got one afterward, but I'm not sure what the cause was). But if I rule that possibility out, this is a fabulous everyday semi-conservative perfume. I adore it. Nothing wrong with simplicity!

in the brand-new decant: I can't make out the specific notes. Definately floral, and quite perfume-y. I'm excited about this one!

wet: slathered it on and it's a very subtle creamy floral. I am not getting the peach. I can't believe so many reviewers mention this being strong! I can barely smell it.

dry: the peach is here, but it's very soft and the floral is still the main focus. It gets better and better.

ETA: I'll be buying a bottle of this. Soooo good starting about an hour after drydown. The floral mostly burns off and I get that sweet, ripe, juicy peach.

Edited by animalcule

Whoa. Okay, so, when I chose this one to try, I didn’t look at its name or its notes; I just grabbed it out of a bag full of decants. I would NOT have thought that his was magnolia and peaches! It’s honeyed, that’s for sure..but it’s not overtly peach or overtly magnolia. It reminds me a bit of both Belle Vinu and Les Bijoux, which makes sense, because those are other peach scents that don’t smell like peaches to me. In a weird way, I'm getting sort of a Bastet feel, though it's not spicy at all. Overall, it's a gorgeous scent, but I think I might stick with one of those other non-peach peaches, since they're more accessible.

This is lovely! Peachy peachy peachyness. Very ripe, juicy peach. A little bit of honey and way way way in the background I can smell the magnolia. I have never had a perfume anything like this. Such a realistic peach! Yum. I'm sold. :) Can't wait to wear this in the summer!

Lots of honey and peaches but I'm afraid I had the same reaction as Reedsong to Josie :( Both of the District decants I'm tried the last few days have gone that way - They're oddly plastic and department store smelling. To the swaps!

Origin:

Partial 5mL from cfrancesca. :)

Preconceived notions:

This is one of those scents that really shouldn't work on me but that I suddenly develop an urge to buy/test anyway. Oddly enough, those scents usually work well on me, in spite of their notes being ones that often don't.

I despise florals (especially the heady, floofy variety, which I consider magnolia to be). Honey can go either way, although I'm finding that I like it more now than I used to. Peaches are the only "safe" note here. I'm not much of a fruit scent fan, but I do like the smell of peaches. The honey should be fine combined with peach (I'm actually thinking that honeyed peaches sounds pretty good). I'm just hoping that the magnolia is a wallflower and stays as far in the shadows as possible.

First sniff:

Hmm...I can see people finding this appealing, but it's not doing it for me in the bottle. I smell the magnolia pretty strongly. Josie in the bottle is a heady, bold, white floral with hints of peach and honey in the background. Very southern belle but also very not me.

Wet on skin:

A little more peach and honey, but still quite floral. This is an awfully innocent scent for a crib girl, but maybe Josie is the one who serves the gentlemen who prefer an innocent débutante (or at least a girl who can play the part) rather than a confident, sexpot of a woman.

I like Josie a little more on me than in the bottle, but it's still not really doing it for me.

Dry down:

This is better. The longer Josie sits on my skin, the more the peaches come to the forefront, dragging the honey with them. I still get florals, but they're tempered by the almost dessert-like smell of the peach and honey. I was expecting more of a baked peach and thick, golden honey type smell, but instead, Josie is more of a peach skin scent with a light drizzing of fresh honey.

I'm still getting a very innocent white petticoats and blushing cheeks sort of vibe from it, which is nice, although I like a whorehouse-inspired scent to smell...well, more like a whorehouse (but in a good way; I don't think anyone wants a scent that smells like stale sweat, tattered velvet chairs and sex...or maybe they do, who am I to judge?).

The bottom line:

I like Josie. I don't love her, but I like her enough to keep her around and wear her now and then when I'm feeling in the mood for something sweet and innocent but a little flirtatious.

I'm actually pretty pleased with the drydown since it smells more or less like what I had in mind, although lighter and airier than I anticipated it being. I'm willing to wait through the floral stage to get to the peaches and honey, which is somewhat unusual for me, but I'm going to be doing my damnedest not to smell myself during the floral stage.

I first met Miss Josie at Dark Delicacies. Of all the oils there that day, she was one of maybe five that I actually wrote down so I wouldn't forget. As soon as I got home, I placed an order. When she arrived, she was all flowery peaches, just like I remembered. I let her sit on the shelf for a bit, favoring spicier "winter" blends until today. Today, I needed something bright and springy, so I knew it was Josie day. I applied some oil and went about my business of getting ready. Over the few hours, I kept smelling haircolor conditioner--Feria? Preference? I couldn't figure out what that smell was until I got home and realized it was Josie. Oh, Josie. :huh?:

I don't want to discourage anyone. Josie is really beautiful. I just have this thing--it's always been with cherry & apple blossoms--where I associate them with haircare scents. They're still lovely, but I always think conditioner. I don't know why I'm having the same issue with Josie, but there it is. I like her enough to keep her around, but she won't be a repurchase.