Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Venneh

Hilma

HILMA
The amiable, ebullient proprietor of the Mirror Ballroom, where Jelly Roll Morton got his first gig.

Miss Burt, while very young, is of a type that pleases most men of today - the witty, pretty, and natty - a lady of fashion.

Her managerial possibilities are phenomenal, to say the least, and her success here has proven itself beyond a doubt.

Miss Burt has been with us but a short while but has won all hearts. Her palace is second to none. It is good for one who loves the beautiful to visit Miss Burt's handsome palace. There are no words for the ladies - one can only realize the grandeur of feminine beauty and artistic settings after an hour or so in the palace of Hilma Burt.

Miss Burt, aside from having two handsome homes here, has one in St. Louis and one in Kansas City, Mo., where, it is said, she is as popular as in New Orleans.

Don't forget to converse with her, as she is very clever, jolly, and cultured.

205 N. Basin

Honeysuckle, Bulgarian rose, night blooming jasmine, sweet clove, cedarwood, black tea, and nectarine.

I'm really interested to see how the play between the wood/clove notes (which have a tendency to be made of death for me) are balanced out by the honeysuckle, rose, jasmine, and fruit, as those can really amp and make a blend beautiful on me. Never tried a blend with tea in it, either.

In the decant, it's a very interesting mix between the floral aspects and a combination of the black tea and the wood/clove notes. Hmm.

On me, wet, it feels like the florals are fighting with the wood and the clove underneath the tea note. The florals quickly disappear, swallowed up by the wood and the clove, and combine with the black tea in a way that's just made of world of no on me. Damn skin chemistry. Edited by Shollin

I just got this one in the mail today.

In the bottle, it's sharp & startling--almost all clove. On my skin it immediately developed more depth and the sharpness backed off until finally it became clove backed by tea with the wood & flowers (which I cannot differentiate) in the background. Like drinking clove-scented tea in a room filled with polished antique wood, with a bouquet on the table beside you. That's the order they hit me in.

I'm REALLY liking this blend. It's not the scent of a shy, retiring woman, but it's not the scent of an attention-junkie, either. It's the scent of a woman who knows what she likes and doesn't give a hoot about what you think (to quote the wisdom of Weezer). It's definitely one for wearing when you feel (or want to feel) bold.

Another jasmine blend that I cannot do. The honeysuckle and jasmine are death notes in this blend for me. I will passing my decant along to someone else.

Gah! Honeysuckle! Evil Jasmine. On the drydown, I get some of the tea and clove coming out.

But overall, heavy floral not for the likes of me.

*sigh*

In the vial, this threw me a little. It smelled "off". Still, I braved the smell & applied. Immediately I got a pinky-orange vibe from it. Right underneath that was Lilith & the Jarocho, like someone took a batch of the leftover oil & scribbled on it with a pinky-orange scent crayon.

On the skin: Whoa, that is honeysuckle! I am almost not sure if I can smell any of the other notes!

On the drydown: Oh, I am not sure if I like this one so much anymore. The honeysuckle sweetness has faded and now I am getting something a bit bitter... black tea? It is a plasticky bitter though...

when i first smelled this at will call, all i could think is "oh my god, this smells like horses." not in a -bad- way necessarily, but something strongly conjured up the smell of being around horses, interacting with them, which I haven't done since I was maybe 10 years old. testing it again, it is the same. i can't tell you what it is - my friend said maybe it smells like the hay. i could see that, the smell of walking through stables. regardless, while it isn't a BAD smell, it isn't really one i think of as perfumey, nor do i think that is what was intended for this oil. after it is well dried down, it becomes a faint and sweet floral, very light but pleasant. i can't decide how i feel about this one, and will definitely test it again, if only to marvel at the strangeness of my association.

My skin chemistry usually amps up rose and floral notes, and I tend to hate jasmine, so I wasn't expecting much from Hilma. I do love tea, cedar, and clove notes, though.

To my surprise, this actually smells rather dark and complex on me. The cedar and clove mingle together in this dark, spicy way and the tea adds a cool, fresh, almost minty zap to the blend. I can smell lots of honeysuckle as well, and just a tiny hint of the rose. The honeysuckle makes me think of hot summer nights; it smells very sultry, heavy and perfumey. I kept expecting the florals to overpower the clove and cedar, but this scent stays very well balanced on my skin.

Hilma is lots of honeysuckle and a dark, dry wood and spice smell. The combination of cedar and clove actually smells more like black pepper and dark, dry wood on me. The words 'dry' and 'dark' are what keep coming to mind.

This smells like a sophisticated, dark, serious perfume. Where Josie is innocent and romantic and Countess Willie was playfully sexy to me, this is more serious-sexy. This is like the serious perfume of a woman who seriously knows what she wants and how to get it, and she's blunt and doesn't want to play games. I like it a lot, and I didn't expect to like this one at all.

Well. Where to start. I got this bottle as an accident. Out of all of the District, this would have been the my last choice. None of the notes really appealed, and it's not my type of deep resiny goodness.

But...after wearing it a few times, I'm actually starting to like it alot. I don't get any of the notes listed, just a general scent, if that makes sense. It almost gives me the impression of Chrysanthemum Moon, but without really smelling like it.

Nothing in particular jumps out, but it is a beautiful scent...kind of floral, but not happy flowers...more like the stuff you would find in a brothel or even a funeral home...Im not a floral person, but I'm liking this, so maybe I just don't like happy flowers..LOL Rose is also my note of doom, and I don't get any at all, which is a good thing. I also don't get tea or clove, so to tell the truth, not sure WHAT I'm smelling, but whatever it is, I like it.

This is very complex, and matches the ladies description exactly. It's sophisticated and fashionable, but in a dark way, without any softness. I can see Hilma saying..."It's all business, honey".

Hmmm, a deep, dark heady floral. If the night blooming jasmine and honeysuckle calmed down just a bit, this might have worked. Unfortunately they overpower the cedar, nectarine and tea and really amp the sweet clove. Overall it is just a jasmine/honeysuckle mess on my skin.

Hilma - This is a really pretty, spicy fruity-floral scent. The heady florals are tempered by the dark black tea and the sweet nectarine. I don't smell the cedar at all, but the clove really gives it some kick. It's very pretty with tons of throw and lasts a long time.

This smells like jasmine tea on me. Honestly? Not such a bad thing. I kinda like jasmine tea.

Unfortunately for me, jasmine is one of those notes that's really loud on my skin, and even though I'm tired of it after about 10 minutes it likes to hang about for hours. So this one doesn't work for me. But I imagine that if I didn't amp the jasmine so much I'd probably like it. It's got a little spice to it that smells good with that tea note.

Why hello there Cedarwood, nice to meet you! As soon as I opened the vial and applied it on my wrist, I was hit by this note ... well, it actually kind of screamed at me. Once dry it calms down tremendously and I begin to pick-up the jasmine, rose, black tea and hint of honeysuckle. The nectarine gives it teeny bit of brightness, while the sweet clove adds a touch of darkness to the already apparent cedarwood. I wasn't expecting to like this because of the initial scent of cedarwood, but it's actually starting to grow on me a bit. I'll stick with my sniffie for now, but I think I might pick this one up down the road.

There's really gorgeous clovey goodness at the base of this...but it's blocked by a hairspray-laden jasmine bomb on top. Hilma hates me.

Edited by hepkitten

That starts with some really pretty floral. Then I get something green and woody. Then I get hairspray.

This is a different clove than Clemence has, and the notes that's usually overpowering is rose rather than patchouli, but clove saves the day again! It balances out the rose and is lovely by itself, and I'm getting a nice bit of the jasmine too. It's a nice spicy floral with everything together :)

the jasmine is well behaved on me -- first fear conquered (yay!). It has a sharp almost herbal quality under the floral that made me think lavender, but I don't see it listed in the notes. I get jsut the hint of clove and wood, and only got honeysuckle while it was wet. Dry, it is so balanced I don't smell one particular note. I do like it though, sleeper hit!

Oh.

Um, yeah.

Hilma is not good on me. There is something distinctly, uh, circus-like about it; as in wild animals and elephant dung.

i kind of new i was playing with fire with trying this one, but oh well! honeysuckle and jasmine often go wonky on my skin, but i just never know until i try. they both seem quite strong in this, especially the honeysuckle...so yeah, this is a strong cloying white floral with a hint of nectarine. i was hoping it'd be mostly clove, tea and a hint of nectarine, but no dice. oh well, hilma...i'm sure you're quite lovely on someone else's skin.

Received from salixnoir's decant circle.

In the imp: The oil is a brown shade with a slightly orange tinge. It smells kind of musky--perhaps from the tea? Or cloves. Or cedarwood, for that matter. Not as sweet-smelling as expected.

Wet: My, you're a brassy one, Hilma! Very woody. I kinda smell like a cedar chest. I'm hoping some of the flowers come out when it dries.

Drydown: Hi, jasmine! Where have you been hiding? The cedar's still there, and the clove, but it's not as predominant as it was. A little sweetness is peeking through.

Later: Very assertive and woody. I'm still not sure what I think, even after testing twice. It's certainly different than anything I would usually wear.

This is, uh, ROSE. And more rose, and also sandalwood. Erk. On me...okay, maybe it starts out being not so bad...I smell a little jasmine and honeysuckle, and some clove too. The rose is giving some of the other notes a chance to play, although it still wants to be the star. And I don’t know why some BPAL roses always smell like they have a faint mist of bug spray hanging over them, but this one kinda does. Arglefnarg. Going to go put on Whip as a rose antidote, brb.

Okay, you know what, actually? As this wears on it's not so bad. This is one of the least old-lady-like roses in the BPAL pantheon, and the clove adds a nice touch of sweetness. I can still pick out the honeysuckle and maybe nectarine, too. If rose is good on you, you need to get you some Hilma. It is not good on me, however. But I can see how it could be totally awesome on someone else.

imp: mostly honeysuckle.

wet: the honeysuckle is deliciously spicy. plus, i'm not getting a hint of either the rose or the jasmine. far nicer than i was expecting!

dry: the spice warms up as this dries and becomes the predominant part of the scent while the honeysuckly provides a nice backdrop.

Very sweet, strong honeysuckle. I think I can get hints of the rose which almost adds to the really fragrant honeysuckle, making that even stronger.

It's a very strong scent. I felt like the throw was strong but I can't be sure. It was almost too strong for me.

I'd imagine this would be a dream for a honeysuckle fan. I would have considered myself one of them but it's just too pungent for me.