Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Venneh

Crib Girls

Seven honeys under one unkempt roof, with fiery-tart cubeb and dusty cardamom.

I had not read the reviews before trying Crib Girls, and I assumed cubeb would smell peppery, so consider me well surprised when I got a blast of what felt like lemon and lemongrass upon application.

In the imp: Citrus and honey
Wet on the skin: lemon, lemongrass, honey. Somewhere around here I started writing off the scent as I'm not too big on lemon and tend to dislike lemongrass.
Drydown: Warm lovely honey without any trace of the scary citrus. :wub2:

I went from thinking about passing on my imp to wanting a bottle. I take it I need to age it to get the cubeb to calm down, but Crib Girls jetted up to be one of my favourite honey scents. :) I get very little in the way of cardamom, so either my skin eats it, my nose ignores it, or it's so well blended with the honey I'm not noticing it.

Crib Girls is bright and pretty!

It does start off bearing a resemblance to a fruity breakfast cereal or lemon candies. I like it.

The fruity lemon candy scent fades out a after a bit, and Crib Girls becomes a gorgeous honey scent with a touch of cardamom. You can still smell some lemon candy in the background, but it's mostly honey.

Crib Girls has strong sillage. It leaves a lemon yellow cloud of candy wafting around me.

If you like Ambrosia from Arcana, this would be a great perfume to use in conjunction with that soap.

I love the label art! :wub2:

So, I was gifted this by someone who tired of smelling like Entemann's and I am so pleased. I totally love it, crave it, my kids adore it. On all of us (myself and small daughters, although I don't know if I want them smelling like tiny hookers lol) it is pure lemon, fresh lovely lemon, and then it dries down to honey and then roses (???)

ADDED June 15:

Well, not sure if my nose is broken or not, but over the past week or so this has become my absolute favorite BPAL. It's summery and light, but it does last all day, and stays on my clothes forever. However, all I am smelling is lemon, which is OK by me, and then the honeys come out later. However my DH smelled it and immediately said "Baby Powder". Also OK by me but hmmm, not smelling it. This (the Baby Powder thing) is why I was gifted it as well, as my friend hates that smell.

I have already used half the bottle. I think that indicates I need more. Immediately.

No matter what, I will always love the label art on this one.

In the imp: rich honey, sugary lemon. I got one whiff of a more astringent lemon, more wood polish than lemon zest. Also something I can't define that's a little heavier and musky and a little cloying, either the cardamom or one of the darker honeys.

Wet on me: Very foodie white chocolate truffle with lemon-honey filling. It's lickable but a little too sweet to be entirely pleasant and has that slightly musky scent that white chocolate and honey often have.

Dry: A very dusky honey with a little lemon candy. It's gotten softer, but that underlying duskiness, coupled with the honey sweetness, just doesn't sit quite right on me. I can't completely decide about it, but I'm not sure I really want to smell like this.

Good lasting power -- put on around 8pm and could still make it out when I woke up. My younger son thinks I smell like candy, but the older son and my husband don't like it at all.

i loooove crib girls. the honeys are sweet beautiful and there is a hint of citrus and fruitiness. i don't get a lot of cardamom, but there is a sense of spice. it fades a little too quickly, but i can live with that. it has a pretty decent trow, while it lasts, but it's not over-powering, just light and sweet. YUM!

Wet: Bright, spicy lemon, but not the kind of spicy that hurts my nose. Beautiful, but no honey.

Dry down: Ah! Sweet lemon honey with spice. Loving this so hard right now :lol:

Dry: Warm slightly spicy honey with a beautiful lemon scent.

Verdict: *sings* So this is love! Crib Girls has officially rocketed to my top three honey scents, and may hold the number one spot uncontested after I do a little death matching. This is not only bottle worthy, but backup bottle worthy.

In the imp: Spicy, and a little tart.

On skin, wet: Similar to the scent in the imp, but even more tart. It smells almost like a spiced citrus fruit of some sort.

On skin, dry: Spicy citrus. If this is what cubeb smells like, I want more!

After an hour: It's smoothed out a little, maybe that's the honey peeking out? But it remains fairly true to the initial drydown. Not at all what I expected--no dustiness from the cardamom, hardly any honey--but it's quite nice.

I probably would not have bought this if I had known that cubeb was a lemony-type thing. I think I was just bowled over by the promise of seven honeys.

In the imp: Lemon and honey. Quite sweet and (heh heh) tart.

Wet: Sweet lemon, with a bit of cardamom.

Dry: The same. Not much of a morpher, this one.

I noticed that over the day the lemon blended with the honey a bit more, making it more of a tart honey than a specifically lemony one. This was quite nice, for a lemon scent, but the association with Lemsip makes it unwearable for me!

This is rather yummy!! It's definitely lemon and honey but it's lacking the tartness I was worried. It's leaning more towards lemon custard for me actually. I'm enjoying this. Not sure if I'd wear it (maybe in summer but I was Boabahn for that, and this isn't that different), but I'm still enjoying it! Will have to ponder this!

When I sniffed at the bottle I wasn't very hopeful. The scent was too sharp and too cloying. I couldn't discern any individual notes.

Once it hit my skin a whole different story...lemon and cream. Woohoo, this was starting to look promising.

dry, I wanted to eat my wrist as imagines of lemon meringue pie flashed past my eyes. That's exactly what this smells like...lemon meringue pie with undertones of spice (must be the cardamon). This one stays pretty close to the skin on me; not alot of throw. Despite that, I absolutely love Crib Girls. I'll be buying a bottle of this. :D

I'm not sure what possessed me to get a decant of this considering how I do with honey notes, but I found it in my pile of decants to retest and went ahead. Wet, this smelled very strongly of may chang and not much else. As it dried down, I started getting a sense of milk/white chocolate in the throw, which I'm guessing was how my chemistry processed the honey. (Which is a step up from how honey usually interacts with me) There was still hints of the may chang, mostly adding sweetness, but eventually this ended up sticking close to the skin as a vaguely perfumed, sweet scent.I didn't get any cardamom. As expected, it didn't really work on me, but it's an interesting scent.

Crib Girls starts out with a big blast of cleaning-products lemon, along with honey. I get more honey in the throw and more lemon close to the skin. The lemon isn't behaving, not yet. It takes about 25-30 minutes to calm down, at which point it becomes more of an edible lemon or scented-dolls lemon a bit like what I like in Seven Herbs Charm, still accompanied by honey. The morphing process is a gradual mellowing and blending and finally vanishing of the lemon, leaving behind spicy honey. I'm not in love with the very beginning of this, but it ends up something I really like! Possible bottle.

Wet: Honey lemon cough drops. :blink:

Dry: thank goodness the citrus all but disappears, but it sure takes it's time! Eventually though, this turns into something I really like.

Crib Girls reminds me a great deal of Haus of Gloi Beguiled, which was frimped to me and is the only OCYL I ever wear. Beguiled is lemon cake with pink peppercorn and cardamom, and as everyone says, Crib Girls goes on in a great blast of lemoniness, despite the lack of citrus in the notes. The honey is not nearly as prominent as I expected; I guess it's the cubeb which is the major player (need to look for this in some other blends!) with the cardamom keeping things interesting. It's cheerful and yummy and gone in two hours.

In the imp, the honey is strong and sweet, but the second it hits my skin I get that lemon-y Froot Loops smell. It's got a strong throw at first, too. By the time it mellows out enough to really smell the honey, it's nearly disappeared into my skin. Unfortunate, because it was the promise of honey that I was excited about for this scent. I do like it, it's just not what I was hoping for.

A bright-harsh lemony overlay, with heavy honey overtones, freshly applied. There is enough of "that something" to the lemon that I think is the cardamom adding a spicy tone to it.

Drydown: lemon settled down, and honey jumps out and yells "BOO!" with the cardamom at its feet going "Yeah, boo."

Edited by Givesgoodemail