Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Venneh

Crib Girls

CRIB GIRLS
Situated on of the lowest rungs in the Red Light District's hierarchy, the crib girls solicited from their windows and doorways, entertaining their clients in sparsely furnished, dingy two-room apartments.

Seven honeys under one unkempt roof, with fiery-tart cubeb and dusty cardamom.

...Wow. First first review.

My decant of this just came in the mail today, eager to try this out. In the decant, I'm definitely getting the honey, with a really tart, almost lemony berry smell - maybe that's the cubeb? I've never run into that note before.

On my skin, the tart berry is really, really amping, to the point where I can't smell the honey or the cardamom at all. Then again, this is wet right now; this probably just needs some time to dry off.

As it's drying, the honey's trying to fight with the berry for dominance in this, but the berry's still the strongest note; these are some rowdy girls. It's vaguely reminiscent of Lolita on me ...And now it's starting to smell like Froot Loops. What?

The berry's combined in a really weird way with the honey with my skin chemistry, I think, to give me a final result of what's smelling like Froot Loops. oO Think I'm going to end up passing this on to someone else, sadly.

Retesting a half-decant that recently just got passed onto me, maybe some aging will have made a difference. ...Out of the gate, not looking that much different. Edited by Venneh

Why is it the bottles I order unsniffed never quite work out? From the description, I thought this was going to be the HG of scents for me. Seven honeys? Cardamom? Wasn't sure about the cubeb, but willing to take a chance. But the "fiery-tart"-ness of what I'm guessing is the cubeb is the only thing I'm smelling. This is very lemony. Venneh's Froot Loop comparison is right on, that's what I'm getting as well. I'm going to set this aside to age a bit, because I did have such high hopes for it. Maybe by Spring, it will have mellowed a bit. If not, it's off to swaps...

Wet: up close this is a bitter/tangy lemon with a fair amount of spicy cardamom and pepper. I seriously couldn't find a whiff of honey. It's got quite a bit of throw at this stage (about 6 ft to get a good whiff according to the fiance), but it's not the same as the scent you get up close; the throw is lightly floral sweet honey.

Dry: The spiciness subsides to a much lesser degree, with the peppery spice facet disappearing entirely and the cardamom melding with the citrusy fruity note. It's almost reminiscent of a creamsicle. The honey also appears as a dominant part of the scent at this point, and it is simply gorgeous.

Overall: 4 out of 5

Pretty, and strong upon initial application, but fades and morphs into a hugely different blend! It's drydown is just the most stunning sweetly spicy honey blend. Doesn't have the best lasting power, probably about 4 hours of noticeable wear time.

If You Like This, Try: Mead Moon, Hony Mone, Giant Vulva, O, Dana O'Shee

Edited by haley

This is the strangest thing I've ever smelt, because it doesn't smell like I thought it would at all. I was expecting honey and spice. Instead I get Fruit Loops. Not bad, just not what I was expecting. Good thing I like the Fruit Loop smell. On my skin, it's still Fruit Loops with a hint of spice, which I assume is the Cardamom.

iii i i iiii i i i i adoreADOREADOREADOREadoreAdoreAdore adore ADORE this scent. this isn't gonna be the structured review i intended to do for later reference; maybe i'll edit this sometime soon, but i just had to get this down before the scent wears off entirely (does not last long):

adore

ADOREadore

adore.adore

Adoreeee

this is olde tyme seriously tart country lemonade, honeyed, w/a bright liquor wooze of fermentation to it. behind it, a smooth undercurrent of dusty salon room dark-wooded furniture oil... maybe a slight slight suggestion of sweet, spiced liqueur-soaked teacakes left behind. yeah, from a fin-de-ciecle... gentlemen's club afternoon tea? i'm pretty sure i wouldn't be interested in giving it a try if i read my scent description, but i'm so glad i'm getting to try something like this on.

oh i love this scent. unexpectedly sharp and amazing! smell-o-vision shows me a sassed-up golden-skinned harlot of the most refreshingly direct variety, outspoken, sharp, mirthful. she glitters as she strides along in the dusty sunset breeze. she's the patron whoresaint of the hard luck crib girls. i find her vivacious and joyful, witty and sly. think: 'bettie page-y fresh' but 'rose mcgowan sultry'.

and a working girl this patron saint looks after would show you a really wild time in her little bungalow, its gardenia and honeysuckle shrubs in full bloom outside her front window. kinky but classic, these crib girls. no matter how unabashed and wild her night of whoring, a crib girl manages to get up early on sunday mornings to make lemon curd by her grandmother's recipe. humming a pretty tune in a silk negligee.

pretty much sexySEXsex of the fresh, gleeful variety.

i heart this one aplenty! <3

Edited by bLissKite

This is my FAVORITE of the District series thus far. The honey notes are fantastically awesome on my skin.

It does have a tangy lemon quality that mingles with all that honey.

I just can't stop huffing my wrist... :D

Yes, definitely a lemon note, like maybe the lemon blossom in Carnval Diabolique. Might turn out okay, but honey is usually horrible and cloying on me.

On fresh, this is very tart and fruity...the earlier comparison to Froot Loops is apt. Luckilly, that dies down quickly and becomes a sweet, warm, lemon scent with a beautiful soft liquid honey behind it and just a touch of something spicy. It's almost exactly the scent of a cup of mild herbal tea with lots of lemon and honey. It's wonderfully soothing once the manic Froot Loops go away and doesn't go furniture-polish-y like lemon usually does. I guess that's what cubeb smells like? Anyway, unexpected, but I really like this one.

This was a funny scent to try out. It hit my skin in a blast of honey that quickly died down to be replaced with lemons, lemons, lemons. It reminded me very much of a cake with lemon in. After a while that faded and got replaced by honey again. Honey with an edge- the whiff of lemon that remained and something spicy, which must be the cardamon, though I can't say I can really smell the cardamon, just the spiciness.

I like this very much! But then I'm definitely a honey-girl. :wub2:

I get a very faint hint of something peppery-tart with this one, no spices, and then a ginormous blast of HONEY. And it goes horribly, horribly wrong on me. Honey in this case is not my friend - love to eat it, don't want to smell like it.

I am definitely agreeing with the reviews that report a lemony tart scent here!

I can smell the honey, but I'm very much reminded of honey lemon cough drops, that combination of sticky sweet honey and tart lemon. This is really interesting, and very unlike most of the other honey scents I own (I am a honey fiend), but I'm not sure I actually LIKE it enough to want any more of it. As it dries, the honey becomes more prominent (I find citrus notes in general are fade-y), and it's still nice but not knocking my socks off.

It reminds me weirdly of Giant Vulva, although this is more honeyed -- I had the same wtf citrus? reaction to both.

In Bottle: I see no mention in the description of what is making the unusual zingy citrus note that dominates the blend. I’m guessing the spiciness is the cubeb. Wet: I’m starting to find the honey under all that citrus now. This is nothing like I expected sort of spicey key lime tart. Dry; the honey is lovely. The citrus/spice edge remains, but it really mellows out.

On the skin: Smells kind of.... sweet lemony? Farther away, it smells less lemony, but still nice and sweet. Nice!!

Drydown: Pretty much the same smell from application to drydown. It is so sweet though, that I am not sure if I can handle it for long periods of time..

The cubeb is most apparent at first, with a lovely veil of honey sweetening it's rather tart edges. As it dries, the cubeb steps back and the honey and cradamom step forward and all three blend into this lovely warm sweetness. At the very end, which for me is some 8 to ten hours in, the honey and the cardamom are all that remain.

This has a lot of attitude at first, when the cubeb is at the forefront. Then it becomes more and more cozy as it dries and settles in. I really like it.

MMMMMM, spicy honey. Very sweet, peppery and a bit heavy on the fruit--I can see the Fruit Loops comparison. As it dries, this is sweet, rich, honey, with a bit of citrus and cardamom. YUM!

I suddenly understand why people kept insisting Shub is citrus/lemony. I never interpreted the cubeb in Shub as lemon, but in Crib Girls, it's super-tart.

Right now, this is not the most balanced blend. The cubeb is the strongest note, drowning out the honey partially, and the cardamom entirely. However, I am pretty certain aging will temper it. As it is now, I actually really like it, but I'm looking forward to more honey and cardamom.

In the imp and on my skin, this smells dead on like a lemon-honey cough drop. Maybe a tad sweeter than that, but pretty dead on. So if you combined a lemon candy with a lemon-honey cough drop, I think you'd get to it. The upside is that there is little morph on my skin. It smells truly delightful layered with Countess Willie. (Well, "layered" in that I put the areas I'd swabbed them on side by side and sniffed.)

Fresh on me this smells just like lemonheads. A couple hours later I get spices with honey lurking beneath them. Nice and interesting, but I was hoping to get more honey out of it.

Oh, wow. Lovely, lovely, lovely. I've never come across cubeb before, and didn't know what to expect, so I was surprised that it is citrusy. I was a little afraid of the cardamom, since that and nutmeg just come out as intense cinnamon on me (why, I don't know), but I barely detect it here. It has a soft throw, but it seems to linger for a really long time on my wrist.

I think bottle for sure, since this is one I'll want to slather. I can't believe how honey-licious this is and the citrus aspect just peps it up even more. The honey is as intense as Honey Moon, I think, but where that one is a big blast of flowers first before it settles into honey, this one is just up in your grill honey and an almost lemon-balmy citrus.

So beautiful. :lovestruck: Kudos to Beth and the team on this one.

I love honey scents. Giant Vulva? Win for me. Defututa? Awesome. O was a little sweet for me, but worth holding onto my imp. But this?

Oh Crib Girls, you have broken my heart. I was certain, certain that this was going to be the best of my lot of decants that I got with the Yules. It was the scent I was most looking forward to. But it smells like lemon balm. It's a soft, sweet lemon - not like the lemon verbena scents. But it is still just .... lemon. Ultimately, the lemon fades and the generic honey scent is leftover. Massive lose, off to the swap pile, I'm going to go cry in my beer now.

Initially i was a bit put-off by this one. The lemon-y tartness of the cubeb initially gives this a decidely furniture polish vibe. BUT that only lasts for the first 15 or twenty minutes, and i can so deal with that considering how delicious this is once the cubeb settles down. Even after only five minutes or so the throw is awesome, sweet, creamy honey, with just a hint of spice. Close to the skin it's still a bit "lemon pledge", but once the dry down is complete the furniture polish aspect isn't even noticeable at skin level.

This is obviously NOT a scent for those who don't care for honey, as it is honey-rific. It is sweet and playful, with just enough tart-spicy bite to let you know these girls mean business no matter how they may cajole their clients with whispers, giggles, or catcalls.

ETA: I'm revisiting this one after not having worn it for a couple of months, and man what a difference just a couple of months have made! The lemon-y tart cubeb has backed off quite a lot, and i far prefer it this way. I don't get the "lemon pledge" association at all any more. After only two months i find this to be so incredible smelling that i may need another bottle to hide away in the aging drawer as a back-up.

Edited by Hillary

In the bottle, this smells like some sort of creamy, sweet, lemon-raspberry gelato.

On my skin, I have to agree with what a lot of reviewers have already mentioned. This smells like Froot Loops cereal on me (no milk, and with some extra emphasis on the lemony loop, lol). As it dries down, the lemon smell gets sharper and more like a lemon scented pledge.

I expected this to be insanely sexy and unwearable for me (I don't often get along with honey notes, though I love the honey note in Josie), but I really don't smell any honey at all. I would think that this was the wrong blend if not for reading the other reviews, because Crib Girls doesn't smell like any of the listed notes to me.

I like this well enough, but I probably won't wear it again. The lemon goes a little too sharp on me in the drydown. Still, if you ever wanted to smell like Froot Loops, you should probably give this scent a try. It is a fun, happy fragrance. I feel as though I would take an instant liking to someone who smelled like this, because it smells so sweet, energetic and happy.

This is great. It is honey with a slighly tart edge like lemon-berry. the tartness is very apparent when wet, but it dries down to the most delightful honey cardamom citrus. Bottle in my next order.

This is lots of Honey with what must be the Cubeb's fruity and aromatic tang.

There is no trace of Lemon but it's probably what I would have guessed without the notes being listed in the description.