Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Every kid wants a pet magah bird! A prism of scent, an explosion of multi-colored feathers: blood orange, black plum, sugar cane, guava, frangipani, coconut, pimento berry, violet, caramel, and pear.

I can definitely tell what people say, it's fruit loops in the vial! As soon as it hits my skin, a creaminess takes over with the rest of the fruits gathering around. I can't really place what it smells like but all the different fruits are vying for attention. Ah, I get it now; it's the pear that's doing that. It's amping subtly on my skin with whatever the cream note I'm getting from. I think it may be coming from the coconut, so I nod to the other folks that manage this as a tropical drink. The violet isn't taking off and ruining most of this, so I'm rather happy about that and it's grounding the fruits better. It a super fruity purfume, I think along the same vien as Fruit Moon' which folks really love. I'm glad I got to try it. Thank you BuxomM and the Orphanage Swap. Edited by Deiicide

I think maybe I amp BPAL's sugarcane note - I get a strong burnt-sugar smell from this, and I noticed the same thing with Kill-Devil. I found it difficult to pick out individual notes - I just got the dry sugary character with warm fruity undertones, and a slight whiff of caramel. I quite like this scent - it's an unusual jumble of fruity sweetness.

Bottle: Bright tropical fruits and caramel.

Wet: Tart dropping oranges swirled in caramel.

Drydown: Holy sugar! It's caramel drenched pez candies.

After 30 minutes: It's sweet with faint tinges of caramel. It's not as overpowering as the drydown stage, but it's definitely a liquid sugar high.

Overall: Too sweet and foody for me.

I was intrigued by this scent when I first saw it in the Yule update, but worried that the wide range of notes might be too much. And it kind of is--it is most certainly an explosion of scent to my nose--but it works!

Wet, Pet Magah Bird is sugar overload--my favorite kind of scent. It's sugar and fruit and candy and YUM. A little dark, a bit of the unknown (kind of what I imagined candy from Willy Wonka's factory to be like) and it's a little peppery to my nose. Not something I can slather; there's just a hint of something that seems it'd make me sneezy if I applied too much.

Dry, it morphs from a foodie, more child-like scent to something a little more sophisticated. It's a fruity floral now, and the dark undertone is now more pronounced. It's very much what I wanted the commercial scent "Angel" to be--sweet and a bit sexy, but it's nowhere near as aggressive, and it certainly doesn't take itself too seriously.

All in all, a gorgeous scent that's great for foodie lovers, and anyone who'd enjoy a sweet scent with a bit of whimsy.

Wow! Very tart and a little spicy in the bottle and on my skin. Drydown is fruit + caramel + violet. I LOVE the combo of creamy caramel and violet. :wub2:

So glad to have this birdie. Thanks, NeonGreen. :joy:

Very bright and fruity in the vial, turns into faded spice on my skin.

The guava seems to stand out in the wet stage(s), later on it flits nervously between peppery coconut and violet-and-caramel.

If you're like me and usually can't stand violet, you might give this a try - it's very light and tempered by the other notes to boot. It still smells the same as in other violet-containing blends I've tried, it just doesn't smack me in the face right off the bat.

Overall impression: It's nice, but I won't need a bottle and may even swap away the decant. I'm glad I was able to try it, though.

:::PET MAGAH BIRD:::

The Dream Quest of Unknown Kaddath is one of the best works that Howard Philip Lovecraft was able to set to paper in His lifetime.

The Magah Bird's depiction in the story was one of the things that made it particulary memorable. Lovecraft's penchant for altiloquence is often the breathless prelude to an evening of preternaturally sound sleeping.

Having missed this when it's debut in The Miskatonic Valley Yuletide Faire, the disappointments were poignant and vast.

An opportunity for swappage came about recently, bringing about an attack of thundering elations! Eek!

Having gone back to review the fragrance's profile, there was no small measure of surprise that there was no mention of Balsam, Copal, or some other arboreal goody icluded; after all, the Magah Birds were residents of the "Resin Groves".

The fact that the full-prism of their plumeage was paid homage will do more than suffice, to be sure.

The Lab has yet to disappoint, especially in the realms of all things Lovecraftian.

From the Bottle: Tropical fruit, Sugar, Caramel, and flowers. This has the initial impression of some sort of Holiday spread of confections laid out in a sultry and humid setting.

Pet Magah bird is dazzling. While the dulcent notes are, by far, the most prominent, there is something in this, almost like a fine-grained wood that keeps it from being outright foody.

The Guava and the Blood Orange work in unison to give Pet Magah Bird a bejeweled brilliance; wee, spectral flashes of Topaz, Garnet, and Emerald.

The Sugar Cane is crazy-good! A stalk of this had been recently picked up at the market to be gnawed, masticated, and otherwise orally abused. The note is impeccable! The fibrousness of the bark, the granulated core, the earthy sweetness are all flawlessly represented. Bravo!

The Frangipani's sweetness influences the aspects of all of the other notes individually.

The Caramel wants to separate from and outwork the other notes in the worst way However, it would be an uphill battle.

The Allspice was a refreshing twist. Allspice gives this shrill, purply and piquant edge to the formula, saving it from being too gentle.

Epidermal Illinition: Whoah, there, purple-pulsar! Finally, the Black Plum explodes into life! Along with the Allspice and the Violets, this makes the chromatic trifecta that will have poryphyrphiliacs of the cosmos unite! This is a shockwave of liquified, deep-purple crushed velvet being skillfully dribbled over your naked, tingling skin.

Also unique, is the way that the Allspice blends with the Sugar Cane and the Coconut husk; very sweetly woodsy.

The Caramel is the perfect finisher, giving a sweet and toasty brownness to the woodier notes; a grove of burning, living trees, giving a very 'resinous' profile to this formula... Sheer brilliance!

Pet Magah Bird is very sweet. It mellows into something that could be described as purple, tropical sugar With exotic spices, flowers and woods. Imagine a some exotic dessert featuring Ube that is being served in an ultra-exclusive brothel and the impressions begin to form.

Pet Magah Bird is a reward in and of itsself. It perfectly represents the zeitgeist of travels to distant and exotic lands, fully embodying the self-purification experienced by souls who yearn to delve into the endless wonders of creation and to live in the moment as an innocent.

Pet Magah Bird is gloriously unisex. On Him, Pet Magah Bird is the starry-eyed bohemian busquing at the waters edge with a lute. On Her, Pet Magah Bird is the epitome of liberty; free-flowing locks and smiling face turned toward the sun.

Pet Magah Bird gives cause to celebrate life, especially in terms of the prowess of the human mind's ability to tap into moments of deification.

Pet Magah Bird is the stuff of bliss and adventure.

A must for dreamers of every category.

Pet Magah Bird gets the highest marks.

A surefire 5.5 out of 5.

You're guaranteed to feel lucky!

Pet Magah Bird

In decant: fruity-spicy. Blood orange is the most prominent, but there are clearly a lot of notes here. On my skin it smells sweet and a bit tropical, I think because of the guava/frangipani/coconut. Something in the combination reminds me of chamomile. Violet is usually my enemy but it's not too bad here, as there are enough other notes in the blend. I'm not so sure about this overall... it goes kind of muddly on my skin. Not my favorite.

Tried again 5/27/12: Trying to decide whether to keep this decant. Still mainly blood orange in the decant. On my skin, I smell the violet (again, don't like violet). There's something almost pastry-like about it now, weirdly enough (guessing it's from the caramel and sugar.) Unfortunately, I'm still getting a chemical-ish smell from that violet, so I think this is going away...

Edited by sunlitgarden

In the bottle - Dark, almost bitter fruits

Wet on me - The fruit gets brighter and fizzier

Dry on me - A light, sweet, candied fruit scent

Overall - Pretty, but it doesn't really grab me

This is a buttery, spicy, orange-violet cookie. I have to be in the right mood for this. Not sure how else to describe it, but it's like Cockaigne and Xanthe had a violet and orange scented baby :)

Oh, what a pretty bottle! Great label art, yay!

Bottle: Blood orange, guava and pear strike me at first. I could swear I also smell some banana, but I guess this whole tropics-in-a-bottle feeling played tricks on my mind. I am glad the violet is behaving, otherwise I would already be sick on the couch..

Wet: Caramel and candied fruits. Smells like sweet fried bakery goods with something.. tangy and sharp. Fruity and sweet.

Dry: Tangy blood orange and caramel. Very bitter, sharp, sweet and.. something is off in this blend. Must be the caramel. Doesn't really work on me in combination with orange and violet. :(

On me, this is spiced orange and bubblegum. It reminds me of gum that I bought at a Sanrio store when I was a kid.

I think I will prefer this in the wintertime.

Fruity and a little almost buttery/ creamy (coconut maybe?) when wet. As it dries down the creamy component is less dominant and this becomes bright fruits! I can definitely catch the pineapple in there, but I'm having a hard time picking out much individual otherwise. Lovely, cheerful, bright fruityness. It's sweet, but not too sweet. I like it, but I tend to like more fruit AND something (musk, plants, resins, spices, flowers, etc.) scents that feel less edible.

2012 Version here :

Fruity! But not flat, very complex. The first blast has an almost lotusy bubblegum sweetness, then it tones down to a nice fruit candy. Yummy, not plastic at all.

2012 Version:

I'm normally not big on fruit scents, but I decided to give it a try because it sounded so bright and playful. I'm very glad I gave it a shot!

It really is a burst of colors for the nose. In the bottle, it has a very similar scent to August 2010's 13. They both have pimento berry, and it's prominent. I also get that sort of bubblegum suggestion of sweetness mentioned in other reviews, which was the same with that particular 13.

While wet, it's difficult to pick out any single note other than the pimento berry. It has a little of Bordello's sweetness without going cloying or sickly. It's a wide awake sort of scent, energetic and invigorating without being medicinal.

It dries down to a nice medium throw and a delicious tropical sweetness with a hint of vanilla and coconut. The violet is subtle but finally starting to show itself. I'm absurdly pleased that it didn't once go cloying or overwhelming on me, and I never got the citrus bite of doom I often get from any variety of orange or lemon fruit oil. I don't get much citrus out of this at all. It's not foodie, but it is delicious.

As a bonus, the label art is TOTALLY GORGEOUS.

Overall, the combination of notes smells like bubblegum wet and dry. Fruity sugar. It is interesting. Just a bit too sweet for me. I do like sweet/bakery scents but this just reminds me too much of gum.

In the decant: Sweet floral. Not overtly fruity, just sweet.

On skin, wet: Completely floral, zero sign of any fruit. Wow, I have no idea how this happened.

On skin, dry: And now it's starting to go a bit soapy.

After an hour: This scent has been one big WTF for me--despite the notes and all the other reviews, all I get from this is soapy floal. It's got to be the frangipani amping all out of proportion, but whatever the case, it's not a winner. At all.

I get a very sweet blend of fruit punch and violet candies with a slight undertone of something nutty. It's a fun, frivolous, brightly-colored sort of scent, but a bit more candy-like than my usual taste in tropical fruit scents. It doesn't last very long.

2012 version

This smells very similar to 2009 - in that I again get plum, guava and violet. The caramel note is a little stronger this time, and I get whiffs of the pimento berry.

Spicy, fruity, violet.

A bit hard for me to pick out the notes on this one. During literally the first minute, I was getting individual wafts of different notes but it settled really quickly. The results is somewhere between a hard candy and potpourri. It's better than that sounded but still not quite something I could see myself wearing.

Wet, sugared fruit. Like jam that hasn't been boiled yet. Dry, this is a lot like Dionysia to me, only this is sweeter and doesn't have the wood note that D has. Most definitely the same juicy plum, though. At first, I didn't like it, and I probably won't spring for a decant or bottle, but it does make me want to wear Dionysia. Maybe tomorrow. I love me some plum...

Pet Magah Bird

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab (BPAL)

Yule: The Miskatonic Valley Yuletide Faire (Limited Edition)

Every kid wants a pet magah bird! A prism of scent, an explosion of multi-colored feathers: blood orange, black plum, sugar cane, guava, frangipani, coconut, pimento berry, violet, caramel, and pear

gack...whoa coconut caramel overload..this may be one of my few "eek wash it off, wash it off!" scents... not sure yet

thank god the coconut is backing off...now it's caramel with other notes weaving in but I think the coconut caramel overkoad is rattling mys sense of smell to much to say exactly what, an afterbite of pear perhaps, and the tang of plum...fruit now fading and I've got caramel, faint tinge of coconut and the zing of spicy pimento.

pimento, coconut and caramel. I think this bird wikk be flying the coop.

I really liked this sweet, fruity scent at first, but as it dried it quickly became overwhelming and I had to wash it off. If you love sweet fruits, though, you may want to give this a try.

Ahh, sweet and fruity and just a little creamy. Nice. Wet, the caramel is more obvious, with coconut and florals right behind it. Uh oh, I’m not crazy about that frangipani…

UGH YUCKY FLORALS WITH COCONUT IN THE BACKGROUND, WHY. Eventually Pet Magah Bird gets back some of that creaminess and a little of the blood orange, I think. Of all things, the creamy note reminds me a bit of Morocco. Still, this is a pass for me.

I can see where some people are getting a tropical vibe, but I still think it's a really good Yule scent. This is one that can definitely be worn year-round. It's a spicy-fruit on me, but I do get the creaminess as well. It reminds me of walking into a candle store around Christmas. You pick up all of the different scents, but you can't exactly pinpoint where they're coming from. I absolutely love this one.