Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Every kid wants a pet magah bird! A prism of scent, an explosion of multi-colored feathers: blood orange, black plum, sugar cane, guava, frangipani, coconut, pimento berry, violet, caramel, and pear.

This smelled good at the lab, so I dabbed a little bit on.

I sniffed it a little bit later and was like........whoa.....sugar overload, not quite sugar of death, but a little close to it, so I was like...oh well, probably not for me.

Then I sniffed it again after a few hours, and it's very ........ dusty sugar fruit. HUH? I think this one is a morpher. Little birdy likes running all over your skin chemistry and doing unexpected things. I will definitely need to try this again, and pay attention to how it morphs.

I had to have Pet Magah Bird! It's a bird! I love birds. And guava...

In the bottle, it's really sweet and fruity. Not foody, though, I'm usually turned off by foody and this isn't to my nose. When I first put it on, I could definitely smell an explosion of fruits, and the caramel was more prominent. It was really sweet when wet, so I was a little iffy. It dried down great, though! I am reminded a little bit of Mlle. Lilith, Fortune Teller, but it's mostly just the fruity notes extracted. It gets smoother, and softer. I can't really smell the caramel anymore, after it's dried.

Final verdict? I like it! It's a fruity little bird.

This is a colorful bowl of sugared fruit on a glass table as a centerpiece.

Martha Stewart comes to Miskatonic Valley :lol:

I think Screeching Parrot and the Pet Magah Bird would have a great time together. Screeching Parrot would bring the alcohol and Magah Bird would look all innocent when the humans got home and found the mess later on and then convince them the dog did it with the kicker being not that the humans buy Magah's story but that they don't even HAVE a dog.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

I suck at reviews. I really do. In the bottle this smells dark and mysterious..yet sweet. On the dry down it smells like a sugary melange of sweet fruits, and a good hint of coconut in there. Kinda....summery?? Very interesting and I love the bottle art!

i also suck at reviews, so i rarely do them.

but, i love this scent! it's sweet and yum, and kind of reminds me of sweet tarts and walking into a lush store. so glad i ordered it on a whim!

I am bad at reviews too...but Pet Magah is a sweet, caramel explosion of fruit...and fun scent that reminds you of a delcious fruity, blended drink with a hint of coconut and caramel....yummy, fun scent!

On my skin this is Milk Moon 2007, with a supersweet shot of canned fruit punch when first applied and a chaser of incense when its ready to fade away. In between -- its all Milk Moon. No idea why as these two don't seem to share notes.

Nice enough, but not at all the rich tropical explosion I was hoping for given the notes. I'll test the imp in a few days when its had a chance to settle down, but if it remains the same my Pet Magah bird will be flyng off to the swap box.

This is the first of my Yule decants to make it to me, and the first to get tested. Probably the one I'm the most eager about in this batch, too.

In the decant, this is a fruity explosion with hints of sugar cane and caramel lurking underneath. On my skin, this is primarily orange and plum, with sugar cane to sweeten it up, and I think caramel and some of the other fruits and flowers lurking underneath. Really interesting blend; we'll see what it does on me. It ends up being fairly similar to Sugar Moon, only there's a bit more emphasis on the fruits than the sugar elements, and with tropical flowers and caramel added. It stays close to the skin, too. I think this one's going to be worth tracking down as a bottle.

Edited by Venneh

In the bottle, this is all strong blood orange with florals far in the background.

Once on, it does this weird thing where I can hardly smell it at all on my skin but my husband - 15 feet away on the other side of the room - says "Now what are you wearing?" And when I try to walk closer so he can sniff my wrist, "No, that's OK. I can smell it just fine from here."

It dries down to a pleasant fruity/floral scent, but I feel uncomfortable wearing anything with a throw that big. I like it OK, but not enough to force anyone within a 20 foot radius of me to smell it.

In decant: Coconut and sugarcane.

Wet: There was a touch of coconut, and then the blood orange took over and ran with it.

Drydown: More fruits! It's fruits galore! And so sweet and pretty!

An hour later: Medium throw on this one. Fantastic fruit scent. I'm going to have to track down a bottle.

This is possibly my favorite scent from MVYF. I can't quite smell the individual scents, not really. It reminds me of a mixed berry sorbet with a hint of a bubblegum smell that fades quickly into something really just juicy. It's a fantastically girly, sweet scent that I really enjoy.

I think I'm pretty much incapable of comparing this smell to anything but candy. When I first pulled out the wand and took a sniff, I was surprised by how exactly it smelled like Bubble Yum. Not a bad smell, by any means, and a cute trip down memory road, but not what I was expecting at all. Once I got it on my skin, though, it started to get a distinct citrusy edge to it. So now it smelled like bubble gum with a twist of orange! Still, not bad at all. After the final dry down, though...Pez? Yes, this is definitely Pez. Sweet, strawberry Pez.

While smelling like a candy shop is nice every so often, I think this scent's gonna have to be a sometime snack. I don't have the stomach to smell this sweet all the time!

in the bottle- tropical. But I think it has coconut. Plum, guava caramel stand out. No orange really.

Wet - I get a bubblegum like scent, which I am guessing is just the fruity bits and sugar. Hints of a citrus come out. Fruit loops. Bubblegum and Fruitloops.

Dry the bubble gum is gone. I've got sugar, I've got fruit, and i'll swear i've got cream or caramel. or both. it's very soft now. There's still a little bite from the blood orange.

Rating 8/10

The wet stage goes away fast, so I'm happy.

This is not as bright and citrusy as I thought it'd be.

In the bottle: I almost get something creamy, like caramel.

Dry: deep blood orange, maybe some guava? mmmm, blood orange. Definitely fruit punch-y, but not so that it hits you in the face with citrus. There's definitely a burst of sugar there, and it's still a fruit explosion. . . but the fruit component has a nice depth to it.

ETA: Ok, after awhile I'm getting florals. huh.

ETA2: 20 min. later I've got pixie sticks and a sugar rush.

Edited by kelp

In bottle/imp: Sweet tarts mixed with grainy caramel.

Immediately on skin: This smells… not so good on me. I get the caramel blending with the coconut, which smells like grainy, syrupy sweetness soaked into an old cardboard box. Over that bit is the fruit, especially the blood orange and plum. It’s clashing quite a bit on my skin.

After a little while: This seems to have gotten a little better, but there’s still that annoying dirty-smelling note under everything, blending into the fruit. Mostly I now smell the pimento, plum, and a little of the orange. I also get just a little sweet florals.

Overall Impressions: Unfortunately there’s something to this scent that just doesn’t smell right to me. There’s an undertone to it that smells sort of rotten or dirty. I think it’s the caramel and coconut with all the bright fruits. The fruity notes in this are actually quite nice, though. Mostly I smell plum and pimento, but the orange comes through nicely at first, and I get hints of sweet floral notes.

Oooh, nice. I expected this to be heavy on the fruit, but it is suprisingly foody. On my skin this is a fantastic dark coconut, similar to Obatala but less buttery and more complex.

Wow, the tropics encapsulated in a bottle, I am glad I got this one.

In the vial – smell the blood orange loud and clear. I also smell the guava and a little bit of the coconut, both of which give it is tropicalishusness.

On the skin – sugar cane and caramel are starting to come out a little, if you smell past the orange and guava. It is still very juicy.

Dry down – can begin to smell plumeria and violets and maybe the berries, all coated in sugar.

What a great scent, it starts out fruity and ends in a nice tropical floral blend.

This will be a great one to wear in the summer too!

Mmm, this is a creamy tropical blend. NOT reminiscent of Christmas for me at all. I get a delicious fruity, slightly citrus creamy blend. It is almost a dead ringer to Velvet Tiki on me, which is why I don't need a bottle. I still really like this, though, and will definitely use up my imp.

I love or like every single note in this. My only worry was that this scent would be way too sweet, and a lot of scents have been going cloying on my skin lately. Thenkfully, the blood orange here is pretty strong and the citrus note cuts through some of the sweetness. Blood orange, plum, and violet always have a bit of a darker feel for me, so they help to keep the blend from going into silly sweetness territory. The blood orange and plum are the strongest notes on my skin, with hints of the frangipani and coconut giving this a golden, slightly tropical feel (the coconut smells toasted on me). Every once in a while, I can smell more fruits or more of the violet. I don't smell the caramel or sugar at all, thankfully, because those notes would easily make this blend too sweet for me.

Pet Magah Bird is citrus, plum, tropical, creamy, sweet (but not too sweet), and dark on me, all at once. It's exactly what I had hoped for. And the label art is just gorgeous if you're a bird fanatic like me. :wub:

Bottle: sugary almond cirus

Wet: It smells like orange-y almonds to me wet, though I see where the bubble yum references come from. I get a coconut undertone - and thank god, because the caramel note from BPAL can easily go towards plastic on me.

Drydown: Sweet, sugar encrusted fruit. I think the "dustiness" is from the violet note. The violet note is not strong though, as that is typically a note of doom for me when it is the predominant note in the scent.

Verdict: I like it! But I typically prefer scents that are a little more sophisticated and have a little more depth to them. This to me is more of a spring/summer scent when I want to feel light and playful. I'll keep my decant, but there are other yules that are a priority for me to order for bottles.

Sugar coated fruits with a nice background of violet. I don't get any caramel whatsoever, which is good b/c I think it would make it smell a little off on my skin. IMHO this is more of a summer-type scent, so I will be holding onto my bottle until then. :)

This one and Pink Snowballs were the only two out of the Yules batch I was eager to buy unsniffed. Honestly from the notes I would've really thought I would've liked this one without a doubt.

Pet Magah Bird was nothing but orange on my skin for the most part. And not a bright orange citrusy scent but heavy and thick. I would imagine if IHop had an orange syrup to put on their pancakes, this is exactly what it would smell like. My skin amped blood orange to the extreme. Admittedly on the drydown I could make out some pear and coconut but it was still 85% blood orange.

If it were a candle scent I think I'd enjoy it to no end but for my skin? Not for me. I might swap it or I might let sit a couple of months and try again. Not sure. But for right now the thick, gooey orange is too much for Christmas time.

On my skin, the sugar cane is the most dominant note - it's very waxy. Next in line would be the blood orange and guava, followed by the black plum (which has gone very dusty) and just the faintest touch of frangipani, pear and coconut. I can't really find any trace of the berry, violet or caramel.

I think there's just too much going on in here - it's a lovely sweet and tropical fruity concoction but it's just not quite working somehow and the strength of the sugar cane is just too much. Bummer, I was really hoping for a nice rich blood orange but this isn't it.

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

Tropical fruits--lots of guava especially and heavy sugar cane. There's a creaminess underneath all of this that must be the caramel; this blend reminds me just a bit of White Rabbit and Milk Moon 2007 with the creamy/fruity combination (although I like this better!). Not something I'd remotely want to wear in wintertime but I'll want to revisit this one in summer.