Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Xanon

The Smilin' Servitors' Hyperdimensional Holiday Hits

A musical extravaganza of madness, terror, and woe! Twenty-three insane interstellar holiday hits from everyone's favorite amorphous toad pipers, including "Doom to the World" and "Here We Go to Sacrifice"!

A discordant scent, silvery and strange like a lunatic's tinsel garland: freesia, eucalyptus, and yuzu, with sicilian lemon, massoia, opoponax, night-blooming jasmine, white bergamot, and copaiba oleoresin.

In the imp I smell the yuzu and lemon above everything else.

Wet this amps the yuzu, lemon and bergamot. Light and clean, but a little hard on my sinuses. Can something be light, clean and sharp?

Drying... it gets a little fruity soapy. Hmmmm.

Dry my skin eats this up. Totally gone in under an hour. Not even with nose on skin can I smell this. Sad, but nothing to cry about as it was kind of headache inspiring.

Glad I tried it, but totally not for me. Swap pile for this decant.

First impression is YELLOW! It smells very fresh and clean and that lemon is coming through strong. It's a strange smell that kind of reminds me of someone just going :DDDDD and all. Like someone that's truly happy, just beaming away! It's totally like a greatest hits album from a pop band. If it had a smell, of course!

Not too fond of how it comes out on my skin (kind of soap-y), but I'm hoping the second and third tests go a bit better, like it smelled in decant.

In bottle - I smell florals and eucalyptus and bergamot. I dont get the lemon yet.

Wet - holy cow! lemon! with florals and yuzu and eucalyptus and bergamot as well. It's..kind of bathroom cleaner scent though. not bad, i'm just not entirely sure it's something I want to wear. it'd make a nice room scent.

dry - the lemon settles down on this, thankfully. i get yuzu and eucalyptus and bergamot still but also freesia and other florals and it's lost that bathroom air freshner scent. i think i'd love this in summer, or spring. just not a winter/yule scent to me.

Rating - 7/10

1/2 bottle is plenty for me!

Edited by Prism

Wow this is a really bright, exciting scent...yeah for me it's all yuzu and lemon, some bergamot..the eucalyptus is pretty faint on me which I think really keeps this from smelling like a cleaner, and keeps it smelling all citrus and floral on me. As it dried, on me the lemon stuck around but mellowed and I started smelling the lovely florals. This is not the type of scent I usually wear, but for people who like citrus blends and clean scents I definitely recommend it.

This was the biggest surprise in my decant package, and I'm so glad I gave this a try! (I give thanks to MarketFresh--at least, I think it was her--for pointing out that jasmine and night-blooming jasmine are two very different things in the perfuming world. I also give props to Catseyes, my decant leader, for making the fantabulous decision to use a pic of Buffy's The Gentlemen on this label. :wub2: )

This is a very bright, very happy scent. It starts out citrus-y without the bathroom cleaner smell I so often get, and the bergamot keeps it grounded. Freesia and eucalyptus are noticable without being sinus-cleansing; and the florals dance without being too heady.

This reminds me of something from my past--something with happy memories, though I can't recall what--so that could be why I love it so much. This will be a fantastic scent to wear during the time of year when winter is bleeding into spring, and everything is sort of mushy and gray but trying desperately to bloom again.

This is definitely a sparkling, happy scent. I get lemon and bergamot in the bottle, and the yuzu opens up when it's wet on the skin. The eucalyptus is more of a feel than something I can smell distinctly, and the flowers are not too cloying.

This is a perk-you-up-in-the-winter type scent. It's really cheerful and bright to me.

PS- the husband is in love with Old Man Ackerman, and these two are like a matched set. I don't get totally the most masculine with Old Man Ackerman, but if it does have a masculine tinge, this is the feminine version.

Edited by biocarolyn

On the skin: this smells kinda aquatic to me.... Lemon and floral? Herbalish floral.

I am afraid that this one is not working for me.

Sweet lemon sherbert, with a slight aquatic edge. Reminds me of Shoggoth or the Deep Ones. Very nice! This will be great in the summer.

This one smells like a cleaning product on me. The yuzu and the bergamot and the freesia (I think?) combine to make a scent that is remininscent of the "snow" or ozone scents. I do not like this and it is not for me. If you like the light herbal scents, you might like this.

I also think that night-blooming jasmine might be a note of do0m for me, so take that for what it's worth. :)

Edited by Ellebelle

This has so many notes-of-doom in it for me. I don't normally enjoy freesia, eucalyptus, lemon, jasmine, or bergamot, really. That said, Smilin' Servitors' isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I even kinda like this blend.

In the vial, this smells very fresh and just slightly soapy. It goes on smelling sort of like frosty pine and ozone, and quickly dries down to smelling like a white bar of freesia scented soap with a hint of clean, sparkling citrus. It's soft, floral, creamy, clean, and fresh smelling. It has a cool feel to it as well, perhaps from the eucalyptus.

This is actually a very pretty, feminine, clean scent. It smells like clean girl to me. I might actually keep my decant.

This scent isn't as scary as I'd imagined. The eucalyptus & jasmine are nowhere to be found, and it smells clean & clear. In fact, ya know what it reminds me of? Knucklebones. Same transparent light brown not quite fizzy scent, but not as masculine. Like knucklebones' streetwise little sister. I like it.

Well...Hmmm...I'm kind of 0/2 on the Yules that I bought unsmelled.

This one: In the bottle - LEMON PLEDGE. No more, no less. Even had that odd, sharp chemical smell. I was afraid.

Wet - the chemical smell is replaced a bit with what I believe is the freesia, making it more pleasant. Not as much Bergamot as I had hoped (I LOVE Bergamot. LOVE LOVE LOVE.)

Dry Down - soft lemon, slightly floral. It was gone from my pulse points in an hour tho...

All in all, it's "ok." Not unpleasant, but neither does it smell remotely "holiday-esque" or seasonal. I'm kind of disappointed.

I do help run the RPG "Call of Cthulhu" at the big Gen Con game fair every year in August, so maybe I'll save it for hot summer nights and be able to tell anyone who asks that I'm wearing a Miskatonic Valley-inspired scent. It'll be good for a conversation, if nothing else.

Wet, it reminds me of cologne that they spray in front of the store Hollister. I always love walking past that store b/c it smells so good, so I don't mind! It drys down to a great blend of citrus fruits and a clean-aquatic scent. Another one that is bottle worthy!!

The Smilin' Servitors' Hyperdimensional Holiday Hits - This is a really bright and uplifting scent. Perfect for those cold dreary winter days when you need a kick in the pants to get going in the morning. The lemon and yuzu are the strongest notes, and I don't smell the jasmine or eucalyptus at all. I don't really see myself wearing this as a personal fragrance, but I could totally see myself using it to scent a shampoo, soap, or even as a room scent.

This isn't discordant at all on me; it's actually very Christmasy! It's a mixture of spiced citrus and warm resins with a soft, barely detectable floral background. I also get the sense of something like a Christmas tree in the background, probably from the eucalyptus though it isn't an evergreen but still shares some of those properties. The resins really shine in this one, and I was very pleasantly surprised :P

Edited by Invidiana

There's the eucalyptus, and citrus right behind it. That must be the lemon. I'm not even getting the floral, the lemon eucalyptus is so strong on me.

a pretty floral scent…reminds me of a scented glade or something commercial. Air freshner? Not exactly unique….familiar in a not so great way.

Lemon, yuzu leads to a citrus blast at the beginning, and its very effervescent it shares that in common with Ackerman's Toys. However, as it dries, I get more of the evil jasmine smell. Ew.

Definitely a bright, shining scent though. I liked the wet stage the best.

DO NOT LIKE.

While quite pleasant on application, this blend quickly turns into generic soap. From there, it takes on a sharp edge and turns a bit sour. Ick.

I was curious about this one, but wanted to try it first because eucalyptus is NOT my friend.

Starts off extremely bright and lemony and kind of fizzy. Unfortunately, the dreaded eucalyptus comes into play and messes things up.

Disappears quickly.

I'm glad I got to try this, but will not be getting a bottle.

What?? This smells almost identical to Old Man Ackerman....It's fruity, it's metallic, it's bright and it has the same soapy perfume feel as Ackerman did. Ok, as it dries down, there are differences. The eucalyptus comes out and it becomes a strong menthol citrus blend. There is also a floral scent mingling along the cirtus and eucalyptus. It's nice and uplifting, but a decant will suffice.

This scent doesn't seem to vary much in the bottle vs. on my skin, so I'm not going to break it down by stages.

This scent is hard for me to define - maybe it's just because I'm rubbish with florals. My husband got right to the point and said it smelled "like soap... not soapy, but like soap." I can see that.

I guess I would call this a light, white floral, with low throw. Not unpleasant, however. The eucalyptus is noticeable, there could be a touch of yuzu, but the jasmine seems MIA. On my skin it warms up and takes on a certain brassiness. It seems well grounded, so that copaiba oleoresin is doing its job, though I'm not really sure what it smells like. I'm not sure I'd know freesia if I smelled it, either.

"Silvery and strange" is a good way to describe this scent indeed.

Overall, not unpleasant, but I'm not sure it's a keeper. But given that it's HPL-themed, it'll probably stick around.

Edited by CaptainEcchi

First impression? Bright, yellow sunshine on snow.

This is a bright, fresh scent that is almost "sporty". It is primarily citrus on me with lemon being predominant and bergamont under that. I can just barely sniff out the resins below all the bright citrus when first applied, and as the citrus softens the resins become more noticeable.

I really love this, it's fresh and uplifting. Like a SADD cure in a bottle!!

Deep golden oil. Fresh, bright fruity-floral. I definitely get the citrus, a little of the freesia and some not-bad jasmine, and the eucalyptus is lovely in this. Also, some ozone and a definite resin base.

Smoother, still bright, but more polished. I don't find this discordant at all. More freesia and unfortunately a little more jasmine as well - it's a bit heady, but not soapy or cat-pee-ish. The lemon is the strongest citrus note, surprisingly as usually yuzu is very strong. And I'm still loving the very aromatic and not at all Vicks-ish eucalyptus. I get more of the resins, which are pretty nice.

This reminds me a bit of The Zieba Tree, but more unisex and a little deeper. I'm not sure this entirely smells like perfume to me - more like really nice lotion or soap (though it is not actually what I'd call soapy, it is very clean).

Hmm. It is going a little soapy, but tolerably. The ozone is still holding very nicely, as is all the citrus. And the resins remain in the background, a smooth base that doesn't overpower. However it still smells like a non-perfume body product to me. Moderate throw and good longevity.

Edited by fairnymph