Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Red and sticky! From a genuine Old Salem recipe!

Ooooh. This is sticky! :lol: Tart red berries with an underlying note of booze.

In bottle: Redcurrant, red fruit, red wine, (bit of a theme going on :lol: ) and a hint of something a little darker--maybe plum?

Wet: Oh my goodness--this is SO good. It's redcurrant juice in plum wine. With just a hint of other berries. This is fantastic! It's not sticky-sweet and has a pectin smell like red swedish fish, but I don't think of this as a foody scent. I think I'm going to slather this one for the holiday gift exchange party tonight! :yum:

Dry: Booze? What booze? This is the perfect "red" scent on me. With a little bit of throw, which I usually don't get from the sweeter scents. Hurrah! I'm looking forward to providing a loving home for the unwanted bottles of this one!

In bottle: red wine

On skin: boozy red yum!

Half-hour later: fading red fruits, more foody than boozy

In conclusion: I wanted a fruity red KABOOM with this one, and I'm pleased in general. There's something astringent which comes off as "booze" but thankfully keeps the blend from turning to plastic. It hangs around too, especially compared to Suck It. Fun and festive!

Wow. This is so red and juicy smelling it's actually making my mouth water.

After a little while the booziness comes out more and it's starts to smell like cough syrup on me. Boo. :evil: My chemistry hates the scents.

Boo.

Smells just like the description says: red jelly. It's quite wine-y at first, but that only lasts for a few minutes on me. Then it's a bright fruity red scent. I've tested this three times, and all three times it had almost no staying power on me at all. Fades out within 30 minutes. So it's not a keeper for me. I like the scent, though!

I was hoping for something a bit juicier, a bit more of the wine grape scent to it as that turns so good on my skin.

Alas, true to it's jelly nature, this is a sweet scent and the sweetness overrides anything else on me, it smells like a child's perfume on me unfortunately.

it's a very soft scent

Actually, thinking on it more, it smells like weak cordial, diluted, there isn't enough of the port wine in proportion to the sugar due to being watered down.

In imp: redcurrants and red wine in a sugary jelly.

Wet on skin: a candyish, fruity red wine.

Dry on skin: sweet redcurrant jelly with wine in it. The wine isn't too prominent. Nice. A boozier Candy Phoenix without the powdered sugar. I already have Candy Phoenix, though, and don't need more.

Starts with cherry cough syrup. The eucalyptus in the cough syrup is coming through loud and clear!

I guess it smells like port jelly…but there is something medicinal or icky. Reminds me of those little silver japanese breath mints that look like mini non pareils. ?????? I detect an undertone of mint. An odd fruity…red jello slightly damp kinda of smell. Not unpleasant but not a perfume i don't think.

Interesting scent! I smell red wine exclusively right at the beginning. Then I get cough syrup... and finally red safety suckers. (the kind I used to get after a visit to the pediatrician, with a loop of "rope" rather than a stick)

:wub2: Mason & Jenkin's Port Jelly is a delight. I love Lady MacBeth and now I have Port Jelly to love, too. One of my coworkers was sniffing the air, mumbling something about wine. I said nothing because I'm all mysterious and stuff.

There's more than wine here. There's a depth to it. Maybe a hint of the oak cask the port was aged in, maybe a hint of the beeswax used to the seal the cask, the sugar to sweeten it, the fruit pectin to thicken it, and the charge of intoxicating liquor. Drunken :evol: .

in the imp: wine. this is bright red. this is screamingly bright red the way that suck it is for me, but this is wine instead of koolaide.

wet: sharp and boozy. this isn't just red wine this is berry wine in particular, and something dark like gooseberry or elderberry. this smells like summer nights at my grandfather's when he was still doing his own distilling.

dry: warmer, dryer, almost spiced- i'm getting something that's turning almost plasticy on my skin like amber does when my hormones are raging. but the plastic fades after awhile. this is STRONG, to the point that i was actually almost concerned about what would happen when i made it to work today- i smelled like i had been rolling in wine.

this is winter wine, not something light and summery. i don't normally see scents being seasonal but this is definitely a cold weather blend.

coincedentally this smelled AMAZING with the oil from the tangelo that i had for breakfast this morning. it lasted forever too- close to 12 hours later and my boyfriend told me to wear less next time.

The name of this scent refers to the HPL story The Dreams in the Witch-House, which involves a witch named Keziah Mason and her familiar Brown Jenkin, a rat with the face of a man. The protagonist of the story meets a, uh, bloody end to these two. I'm a little dubious about the ingredients of such a "port jelly," as a result ;)

In the decant: Fruity! Specifically, I'd say raspberry or cranberry. It could be the red currant that some of the reviews note. Definitely "red and sticky." I understand the comparison to Swedish fish or gummi bears!

On my skin, wet: Now a musky note starts to come out. In this, it reminds me a little of Tweedledum (which is fruit + patchouli). I'm not sure I ever get the booze, unless this is it.

On my skin, dry: The fruit softens but doesn't disappear - which is rare for me, because my skin eats fruit notes for breakfast. The bottom note - musk or patchouli or whatever it is - is well behaved. Pleasant.

Verdict: The decant is a keeper, but I don't think the scent is unique enough that I need a bottle.

Super tart grape jelly with a hint of booziness. I got some Port Wine flavoured jello while I was in Australia and this is exactly like that. Juicy, a little artificial-hard-candyish, but with enough tartness to make it more than just Fake Grape Candy.

Spicier! Where did the spice come from? I get clove and allspice, sort of like mulled port jelly. The sweetness is a bit powdery/Pez-like, in a kind of nice way - because it's so tangy, it reminds me a lot of Pixie Stix. Grape Pixie Stix, but with spices. Also this is sort of woody/dark...oak? Yeah I'm almost positive I get an oak note. It reminds me a little of the dark oak note in the Antikythera mechanism.

Going dusty. The oak and spices have amped greatly and the juiciness/freshness of the fruit is long gone, though there is still plenty of Grape Candy Pixie Stix, it's more artificial, less real grape, and I don't get any booziness at all now, though I may have imagined the initial booziness.

Dusty spices and dark oak over fake grape candy flavoured powdered sugar. Not at all my sort of thing. Strong throw and longevity. I would suggest this for kids, except the spices and woods...honestly I don't see who would wear this.

This is a delightful scent! On me it's like diving into a bag of Jolly Ranchers, sweet, juicy, and fruity. I would really recommend to fans of fruity/foody scents.

In the bottle: Red jelly tots and booze!

Wet: Booze and red Maynards wine gums.

Dry: Red fruit - berries, LOTS of berries. Cranberries, raspberries, strawberries - pomegranate? And just a hint of booziness.

After a while: A faint red-fruityness lingers. Like cranberry and raspberry. Faintly reminiscent of when you make that RED kiddies juice from a cordial and the scent lingers on your hands... but more tart and less saccharine. I LOVE this. A wonderful fruity RED scent!

It is the same in the imp as on my skin.

Red, fruity, berries sweet and boozy. No morphing. It is what it is. If you are looking for a sticky, fruity scent this is the one for you. Has a bit of throw. I do like it. Not enough for a bottle. I wish it had some SPICE to it. Then, I'd be in LOVE!!!!

In the bottle – Deep red fruits

Wet on me – A slightly musty/slightly cloying red fruit scent

Dry on me – An oddly dry fruity scent

Overall – It’s a gooey fruity scent with an adult feel, reminiscent of the original Midwinter’s Eve

Mason and Jenkin's Port Jelly

A bit winey-boozy... but the dominant smell is sweet-tart red fruit (currant?) with a little spice. Very candy-ish and yummy!

In bottle: Wow! Boozy and fruity.

On me: Something intensely incense-y about it, tempering the fruit, sugar, and alcohol, but not in a way I particularly like. I should have checked my imp before jumping on the bottle I'd located recently (usually, red fruit scents work well for me).

30 minute dry down: There's fruit, but there's something in there that makes it smell, to me (oddly enough), like I've been kissing some gal who's wearing a LOT of red lipstick between big gulps of spiked punch followed by a good bout of puking. It's really, really unpleasant to me.

I don't know what I was thinking when I read "Port Jelly", I guess I was thinking nautically, not boozy. But it worked out fine, it's good, fruity red wine, not dry and sour white. Dries down into a tart red scent--I'd guess cranberry, maybe with some red currant in the mix. There's something slightly waxy in here, too, if I smell close--I totally understand SnowWhiteMoon's mention of lipstick. Maybe huckleberry? Anyway, it's really good, a very pleasant surprise.

This is for the 2012 version.

Bottle: Very strong and sweet fruity, boozy port wine. Yummy!

Wet on skin: Sweet, fruity, boozy. Actually this really reminds me of jellied cranberry sauce soaked in red wine.

Dry down: This stays true on dry down which I am VERY happy about. I have got to get myself a full bottle of this!

2012 version

Wet in vial: Yum!! Fruity, and yes, a bit boozy...but toward the wine side, not hard alcohol boozy.

On Skin: warms up to a nice cozy, grape and cranberry-ish wine scent. I am not into wine or boozy scents, but this one, so far, is nice.

Drydown: Stays the same...fades a bit, but stays true. Doesn't morph on me too much. Makes me think of sitting at a romantic candle light dinner with wine.