Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Red and sticky! From a genuine Old Salem recipe!

Sweet red wine that is surprisingly delicate. More fruit than booze. In fact, if I didn't have the cute little label proclaiming "Port Jelly" I'd have said maybe Red Currant with one drop of Plum with no mention of wine at all.

Maybe there is some beeswax?

This isn't hyper-sweet. Although my skin chemistry does burn through sweet BPAL very quickly, I don't think that's the case here. It really is a mild, lovely fruity sweet scent.

I don't know what to make of this scent. It's an interesting scent although I was hoping for a yummy foodie scent but that's not what I get. Not really. Maybe it's red current I smell but it's definitely mixed with something. I need to set this a side and try again later.

Luscious thick red jelly that's toned down a bit with the wine....drowning out the sweetness a little, but very yummy indeed!

Edited by pinkstardust420

This was very strong to sniff right out of the bottle! It's very much a red wine scent, and I'll swear that there's some red musk in there somewhere.

After it dried down, I got more of the red currant note.

Sniffing the bottle, I definitely detect the port. However, the minute it hits my skin, it's all red yummy jelly. Very reminiscent of Zombie Apocolypse on my skin.

In the decant, yep, that's wine all right. On my skin, it's really living up to its name; wine jelly, with a bit of currant and plum, I'm thinking. Ehh. This isn't really impressing me thus far. We'll see how this goes. It's very red, a bit boozy, and very much a jelly sort of scent. Not really for me; to the swaps.

Edited by Venneh

In the decant, I was smelling the red currant. It smelled like berries to me. Great, I thought, I love berries.

Wet: Booze! WHOA, BOOZE!! Port, I guess? I don't drink much.

Drydown: I'm swimming in more booze than a 1920's Hollywood party. It's making me dizzy. (I must amp booze or something?)

Washed off. NOT FOR ME. I'll pass thing along to a friend I know who is curious about the scent.

I'm a sucker for anything with a wine or blood note, so I had to get a decant of this. Surprisingly, especially considering the above reviews, this isn't very boozy on me, just very very RED and SWEET. It most reminds me of Strawberry Moon, of all things, and is equally juicy and delicious. I really like it, but it is a pretty simple scent, and I have a lot of similar fruity red scents, including the aforementioned Strawberry Moon. Must ponder on whether I should get a bottle.

in the bottle - red wine, red currants, gelatin (yes i swear this), a hint of plum.

Wet - sweet red berries. oh my god. So good. red berries drowning in wine. and plum. This is less boozy and more sweet on me and just so wonderful. It's not sticky maple syrup sweet but it's definately candy sweet.

dry - more plum red berry and jelly. Wine? what wine. This is the perfect rasberry/current/plum CANDY on me. With Throw. Hella throw. one drop and i'm like..whoa. okay that's enough.

Rating - 10/10

Have a 1/2 bottle and I think that there is a full one in my immediate future. :D

I actually wasn't going to try this one because it's basically two notes, both of which are problematic for me, but I got some oil on my fingers while decanting, so I inadvertently give it a shot. As expected, gummy bears and wine, both turned up to eleventy billion. That is all. When I sniff it in the vial, it's mostly red currant, which becomes gummy bears on me, and the port is just your basic red wine, which I amp like you wouldn't believe (Wanda and Blood Rose might as well be red wine single notes as far as my skin is concerned). The bad news is that red currant makes me queasy, and I always feel weird about smelling like wine, so I'm finding myself extremely reluctant to even thoroughly skin-test it. The good news is that I already found a nice new home for my half-bottle left over from decanting, so I just have one lone decant to sniff when I start thinking that I want a bottle, which is perfect for me.

When I first opened the decant my first thought was "gummi bears!" Then, after applying the oil, I realized it was actually original red flavor Swedish Fish. Which is much better. Not only are they vegetarian (pectin, not gelatin based) the red flavor is a mixed berry, not cherry.

I'm not getting alcohol at all with this. What I *am* getting a a dry, dusty background scent - similar to the "dusty books" aspect of Miskatonic University. This is an *old* family recipe they literally have to dust off every year.

Although stronger in the bottle/wet, this stays true on drydown.

I quite like this one and am considering a full bottle. It is sweet, but not cloyingly so like Momma Shub's blends have been for me.

Edited by Altaira

Origin: decant from eviltemptressdq's circle

Initial Thoughts: I love port. I like jelly. I've always been curious to taste it. This could be the next best thing.

In the Vial: Incredibly red boozy jelly. Way strong on the red currant after the first sniff.

Wet: Sweeter than in the bottle and not quite so boozy after the first few seconds. Deep, rich, fruit with an alcohol undertone.

Drydown: This one seems to fade on me pretty quickly. After only ten minutes or so I'm getting a much fainter scent. A lot of the fruit has thinned out and while the alcohol remains, it's a wine that's a pale shadow of its former self.

Verdict: I'll play with the decant some more to see if I can make the rich, robust stage hang around a bit longer.

Christmas candle. No1 Daughter actually begged me to wash it off. I didn't think it was THAT bad, but it's not graduating to bottle.

First sniff - Sniffing Mason & Jenkin's Port Jelly makes me want to giggle with glee, almost like sniffing it is like hearing a silly joke from a playful kid. It smells like red candy, could be gummy candy or jolly ranchers - but it smells sweeter than I normally think of jelly smelling.

On my skin - it remains pretty much as it was in the vial but the sweetness does soften up a bit.

I was expecting something with a detectable boozy note, but it didn't happen. That's fine, this is a sweet, fun, fruity scent and it made me smile.

It smells like plain fruity jelly. But there's also something in there that smells dry. Could that be the port? I don't really smell booze but I wonder where the dry smell comes from.

Got to test sprocket21's decant at our holiday party, which was great, as I was wanting to try this one. I'm usually quite fond of fruit scents and sweet scents, so I figured I'd probably like it.

I liked it for about two seconds, and then the booze ate the jelly and poured itself all over everything else on that wrist. Way deep down, I get wafts of a lovely red currant juicy fruit, but the port part was just too strong on me. Tragic.

In the bottle, this smells like boozey red berries. It reminds me a bit of red wine gums candies.

On my skin... boozey red berries. This doesn't smell as heavy as wine notes usually do on my skin. It's more fresh, cool, and sweet smelling, like frozen cranberries and a hint of booze, maybe. I expected this to be super-sweet, and it's not. It's really lovely. It reminds me of some of the cranberry scents that I've tried from Wylde Ivy (like Winter Cranberry). I love the fresh little sharpness that this gets on my skin.

I feel like I'd really love Mason and Jenkin's Port Jelly as a bath oil. I love it layered with Mistletoe and some of my foodie and spicier scents as well. It's a little too simple for me by itself, though I do really like it. It would probably be nice layered with just about anything :smilenod:. I'm happy to have a partial bottle of this one.

Edited by Little Bird

This is a very yummy berry scent with just the right amount of booze. The berry part smells like a nice sticky jelly, just like the description. ;) Also, the lasting power of this on my skin is amazing!!

Edited by musichappens

Red fruits! And the "jelly" bit is spot-on here; there's something very gummy/gelatiny about this blend. Weirdly, it's not overly boozy on me--usually I amp booze/wine to the point where it's unbearable. This is nice and candy-like.

In the bottle: Red and sticky jelly

Wet: Tart red fruit

Dry: Sugary red sweets. It's very similar to Candy Phoenix but a little tarter on me

I'm a little disappointed by that lack of booze but candy scents are still good.

I'm not getting any port scent from this at all. For me it starts off like Zombie Apocolypse except not as sweet. After a while it gets rather sharp on my skin. The poster who compared this to the scent of Swedish Fish is right on. It's Swedish Fish with a touch of something that just won't quit tickling my nose.

I'm going to pass on this one.

Red sticky jelly. It's red, sweet, and kinda reminds me to hollyberries actually. In that it's a very Xmassy sort of scent.

Way too sweet for me though.

To me, this smells like alcoholic gummy bears all the way through. It's okay to smell but I doubt I'd wear it much as perfume.

This is grape jelly's grown-up cousin, more of a "red" than a "purple" scent, probably from red grape and redcurrent, and while it isn't boozy in the least, there's still a type of fermented-fruit undertone that gives it that more "adult" feel. It's very sweet, winter-fruity and festive. :yum:

This is really nice!!

Wet: Fruity, sweet and heady.

On and dry: For me, this has definite similarities to Zombie Apocalypse, which I love dearly. It's sugary and fruity, with a creaminess that appears after it dries. If I really sniff hard, I can smell the booziness of the port, but it's really all about the sweet red fruit.

It lasted forever, and smelled delicious. Bottle, please. :wub2: