Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
boxinghelena

Mother Shub's Toothsome Banketstaaf

A treat sure to please even the most finicky cultist! Tubular pastries oozing with spijs, glazed with apricot jam, and dotted with glace cherries.

I didn't have much material to test, so this one sort of got lost in the shuffle. I'm rather regretting it now, as it's pretty yummy-smelling. As many others have noted, it has a slightly-buttery almond pastry feel. I'm not getting a lot of fruit, though there is a very sweet aspect to it, so I wouldn't put it past the cherry to be present right now. It's throwing pretty well just from the tiny dab I put on. This turned out to be my favorite of Mother Shub's creations.

A buttery, fruity scent with a lot of sweet almond. I love the lab's apricot, and it really shines in this one, although the cherry is pretty strong as well. There's also a definite pastry/baked goods thing going on here. I'm not much for foody scents, but this is my favorite of the Yules.

In the imp - Oh noooo. I did NOT expect such a huge hit of almond in such a little bottle. I am reluctant to try this as I am not very good friends with almond in any way shape or form.

Wet - Almond..... almond...... yeah, almond! A slight jolt of sugary sweetness, perhaps from the apricot or jam. But I can't pick either of these notes out.

Dry - PASTRYYYYY. Sweet and sugary hot danish pastry. There's that apricot jam! Thankfully the cherry note is merely in the background and just giving this tasty tart a little depth and oomph. Cherry tends to be plasticy on my skin. But I am soooo glad I tried this now. I was going to chicken out and walk away at first because of that dreaded almond.

Verdict - I like this. Perhaps not enough to buy a whole bottle, but a few imps here and there would be nice to have around :)

This smells DELICIOUS, and it has decent throw. At first it was all pastry, but the apricot jam is vivid and juicy beneath the bakery aroma. I'm not sure what spijs smells like, but there is only a hint of almond here. (Or a certain kind of almond--my chemistry tends to morph most BPAL almond blends into plastic.) Over time, the cloud of delicious pastry fades into the background, and the throw isn't so prominent, but the apricot intensity stays the same, with the faintest hint of cherry behind it. Yum!

In the bottle - Sweet, sticky, candied fruits

Wet on me - Creamy, coconutty custard with a little pastry behind it

Dry on me - A lovely warm custardy scent sprinkled with spices

Overall - Warm and comforting

In bottle: Almond pastry with a touch of apricot tang. The cherries are clear, but not overwhelming. Wet: Slightly more apricot on the skin, but still almond pastry dominant. I normally don’t do well with cherry, and while it turns a little on my skin, it manages to stay subordinate to a degree that means this could really work for me. Dry: Smells vaguely like the linen note for no logical reason. The apricot stands out more strongly as the other elements fade to a soft background.

Hello, flaky pastry crust. :wub2: You're just what I was hoping for.

Only the cherries are present (no almond or apricot) and they're nice, but just a teensy bit on the soapy side. That's not enough to deter me because, dude, I smell like a pie.

I cannot believe how delicious this is. I've been looking for something that's similar to Ghoulish, and I think this might be it! The spijs, which according to Google is almond paste, complements the cherries, plus apricots, and there's some kind of flaky pastry underneath it all. I wish I could bathe in this.

(It also helps that I think the label art is adorable.)

I almost didn't get this since I have bad associations with cherry scented things (they always seem to remind me of cough drops), and almond is frequently too much on me, but I was surprised to find that I really like this! It's very evocative of the description- I really want to east this! It's a nice non-buttery bakery scent similar to the cake note in The Knave of Hearts mixed with a light jellied cherry and apricot scent. It's very realistic smelling and for being a dessert scent, isn't too sweet. It's a perfect holiday scent!

This scent was mainly bready, yeasty, and had an apricot jelly note that wasn't very sweet but almost bitter, maybe the cherries made it that way. It was foodie and delicious but I'm not sure it won me over as a perfume but I would like to eat it, lol.

It had very little throw and short staying power...maybe an hour tops.

The label was cute though. ;)

This one starts off on the almond and cherry along with the apricot, but the almond and cherry are quick to fade away, and I'm left with a perfume-y apricot and some yeasty pastry.

I was hoping for more cherry from this. Alas. And since the apricot in this does not stand up to other apricot scents in my collection (Aristocratic Couple, Apple VI, March Hare), I will be letting this one go. But I'm glad I got to try it.

This is mostly almond pastry on me, not in a bad way! It's like a breakfast pastry, a danish, stuffed with some sweet almond paste and some sort of mixed fruit jam. The fruit definitely has some cherry, but there's something else too - I know it's apricot because of the notes, but I'm not sure I could've named it otherwise. The sweet almond + pastry is winning out over the fruit, though!

I like it, but of course I do like sweet fruit + foodie, usually! I wish the apricot were a bit stronger, but I would definitely eat this for breakfast!