Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
boxinghelena

Mother Shub's Toothsome Banketstaaf

A treat sure to please even the most finicky cultist! Tubular pastries oozing with spijs, glazed with apricot jam, and dotted with glace cherries.

Love! :wub2: Buttery, flaky pastry with apricots & cherries and a tonne of spice. Normally I am not a fan of cherry scented anything, but it really does magical things on my skin. This is one of those scents that make me very hungry.

The almond in here is LOUD when this is wet. Delicious, but LOUD...but then the apricot comes out and this is so much more interesting and pretty! I love apricot as a note but haven't ever really found a blend with it that I'm totally happy with--this might be the one. Apricot pastry with a bit of cherry sweetness is the result--awesome!

In the bottle: Sweet, sticky almond pastry

Wet: Pastry, cherry, almond and boozy apricot

Dry: This smells exactly like a cherry bakewell

It lasted ages, the cherry and almond behaved themselves which doesn't always happen with my skin chemistry. Gorgeous.

MOTHER SHUB'S TOOTHSOME BANKETSTAAF: Yule Limited Edition 2009

In Bottle: Pastry and warm fruit

On Skin: If a scent was edible, I wish it was this one. It smells so delicious!!!!!! Like fresh pastries straight from the oven... still warm, sticky and oozey. The apricot jam is my favorite, I actually feel my mouth watering for it. The pastry smells buttery and flaky... ready for me to take a bite. This would be the PERFECT room scent to make your home feel comforting and warm. It's not really a scent I'd wear, because it just makes me very, very hungry. Moderate throw, medium to long wearlength.

bottle: pastries, fruit, almonds, sugar... this smells just like my kitchen! :lol:

wet: this is a dead-ringer for butter rum cookie with just a hint of fruit added. so delicious smelling.

dry: this is more pastry once dried. like an apricot danish with a dab of almond paste.

YUM. I'm definitely getting the flaky buttery pastry, sweet almond and sticky apricot jam with just a hint of cherries. Very nomable :yum:

The Cherry note is why I got a decant and having sampled this it lives up (or down) to my low expectations.

The Lab's Cherry note always comes across as medicinal, alcoholic and chemical on me and this is no exception.

I get the rest of the lovely notes but the Cherry is overbearing and wrong.

In bottle -- Buttery pastry, almond, apricot and something a tiny bit acrid

Wet -- Buttery pastry, apricot, cherry, almond and something a tiny bit acrid

Dry -- Buttery pastry, apricot and ... soap! :sick:

Damn! Almost perfect, and then my skin brings up some awful soapy note very strongly. I so wanted this to be perfect. I'm not doing well with the Yule baked-goods this year, which makes me so sad. Two of my all-time favorite bpal scents are Sugar Cookie and Gingerbread Poppet, so I keep hoping for Yule-time greatness again.

*goes off to mourn*

:cry:

Smells like alcoholic cherries when it's wet. Then it smells like pastries. Then after an hour the only thing left is soft apricot with just a hint of pastry crust. Interesting. I like it. Smells yummy. (Not when it's wet. It's a bit harsh when wet. But I like it a lot when it's dry.)

I get primarily apricot from this. Straight-up sweet, sticky apricot jam-- it's practically a single note, although occasionally hints of cherry and pastry sneak through. But I love apricot, so it's not a problem. :)

In imp: almondy cake, pastry and a cherry on the top - this is one of Mr Kipling's Cherry Bakewell Tarts!

Wet on skin: oooh - apricot jam! With a strong almond-cherry note and lots of buttery pastry. Yum!

Dry on skin: very fruity! Now it's more like a glazed fruit tart. The fruit outlasts the pastry, and is mostly apricot - with just the right amount of sweetness.

Edited by Lyrical

pastries!!! Frosting and glaze and a little bit of soft cherries like juice. Tinge of nuts that reads as spice. Like this so far. Hmmm the apricots are coming out and they are pretty dense and cloying. This might be going someplace undesirable.

After it dries the apricots totally dominate the scent...like rehydrated thick, pasty, chewy apricots and the slight funky undertone of apricots as well. I really loved the first blasts of this scent so much!

In my decant: Luden's Cherry Cough Drops

Wet: Luden's Cherry Cough Drops+ some apricot, but not a super sweet apricot

Dry: The apricot becomes stronger and it feels like there is maybe a touch of almond but the scent as a whole hasn't lasted well. It's been barely 2-3 hours since I put it on and even when I huff my wrist I can't smell it.

First, some definitions. Banketstaaf is a Dutch pastry, and spijs is the Dutch word for almond paste/marzipan.

In the decant, and on wet, this is overwhelmingly cherry - like cherry pie filling, or a cherry Tootsie pop - good thing I like cherries!

Of course the cherry flies away quickly, as fruits are wont to do on my skin. A similar note seems to take its place, and deepen the scent as it warms up, which I'm assuming is the almond - cherry and almond always smell a little similar to me. I feel as if there might be a little clove or cinnamon in here, too. Possibly vanilla. Not sure. I can't detect any apricot. A certain sugariness overlays it all in the drydown.

Is this supposed to contain Shub-Niggurath, like the Snake Pit contains Snake Oil? Because that could certainly explain some of the notes I think I'm smelling.

Overall, I feel like this is more of a summer scent than a wintry, Yuletide one, although in the dry-down it becomes less so. I will probably keep my decant, but I won't be tracking down a bottle.

Edited by CaptainEcchi

Light lemon yellow oil. BENZALDEHYDE, WHOA! Loads of almond extract and fake maraschino cherries. Eeek. Beneath its boozy blast I can detect a little actual cherry fruit and some apricot, but not really any pastry, actually. Not as sweet as I expected.

Much more nutty - now I get more marzipan and toasted almond flakes, or maybe something like bear claws - a definitely flaky butter pastry note, but not gross-buttery. The apricot is much stronger and it's the same note from Katharina - but deeper, jammified. The cherry is still fake/maraschino and while the benzaldehyde is softer it's still a very strong note.

Wow, morph! That benzaldehyde burns off more and more - in fact after 15 minutes it's totally gone! Apricot jam now dominates, with a little cherry (more like real glace cherries now, only a hint of maraschino). But it's very light cherry - the apricot is really in command. The pastry is a light note, not too sweet or rich, though this blend is much sweeter now than it was in the earlier stages, it' s still far from cloying. The only almond I get now is that toasted almond one.

Apricot jam smeared on a bear claw or an almond croissant. Except this is 90% apricot, and I get fresh fruit as well as jam - it's a rich as well as bright, almost but not quite juicy apricot note. I get a teensy bit of spice in the distance - a very well behaved, softly sweet and woody clove that's not too spicy. The cherry is brighter too, it's actual cherry now, completely, no artificialness. The pastry note is exceedingly light and totally wearable even for a non-foody like me.

This is just a tad too sweet in the final drydown, and I'm not a huge fan of apricot or cherry in perfume, and while it's not that foody, and I actually quite like the sort of vanilla-custard I get mixed with the flaky pastry in the later stages, I'm still not a foody girl. This is shockingly nice and quite a morpher, and almond haters should not worry as that almond extract burns off very rapidly. This is all about the apricot, which amps over time and becomes tarter, juicier, more realistic. Great throw and longevity.

My first impression of this blend is Play Doh. It quickly morphs to almond pastry and is quite yummy... but it's doing something strange now. It has taken on a plastic tinge.

Do not like.

In the bottle: Almonds and cherries and wet, sticky glaze icing.

Wet: ALMONDS and cherries and apricot jam and sugary pastry.

Dry: Cherries and almonds and sweet sugary pastry covered in sticky white glaze.

MANY hours later: Pastry glaze, with a hint of maraschino cherry. Delicious.

This one was surprisingly wearable. I got almond cookies, slightly fruity with the apricot and not that buttery OR sugary. Just right. Very tasty and yummy.

Only problem - it makes me hungry! :yum:

On my skin I do initially get the play-doh scent that I'm not very fond of, and was afraid I'd have to scrap it, but that mellows out quickly to a delicious, wearable almond, somewhere between marzipan and amaretto liqueur.

This is delicious!

Tart and sweet cherry jam. It's almost candy like red cherry candy. On wet it has a slightly astringent quality (in a good way) where the cherry overpowers everything. Upon dry down I start getting a bit of pastry but the jam is still in front and remains in front until the scent starts to fade. Then the cherry quickly goes away and I'm left with gentle hints of flaky pastry. This scene makes me think of a warm breakfast on a snowed in day.

*i'm under a lot of stress right now and i know that my hormones are out of whack as well so i'm not sure what that's doing do this blend.

in the imp: definitely spiced cookies

wet: almond coffee syrup?! i'm actually kind of concerned because the last blend i tried with a similar feel to me (hecate) went really really bad on my skin. but it seems to be calming down quickly into generic food spice.

dry: it smells like cookie dough. and it kind of makes me want to cry? i'm guessing though that it's interacting with my odd ball chemistry that i have going on right now. it's going a little plasticky too but i'm not going to rule this one out until i try it again after my mood/stress/hormones settle down.

it's a lot foodier than what i normally wear but i also ended up slathering (for me anyway) it on so maybe i like it a lot more that i thought i did.