Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
boxinghelena

Mother Shub's Toothsome Banketstaaf

MOTHER SHUB'S TOOTHSOME BANKETSTAAF
A treat sure to please even the most finicky cultist! Tubular pastries oozing with spijs, glazed with apricot jam, and dotted with glace cherries.

I do believe I'm getting mostly spijs in this mixed with a touch of cherry. I had no idea what spijs was and looking it up, I'm guessing it has something to do with almond paste( most of the websites were in Dutch)? Almond in general is iffy on me. I'm not sure I like it. It smells a bit odd on me. My skin chemistry is so wonky sometimes.

I'm really bummed because I was hoping to smell apricot. Pastry & apricot. Darn it! I will try this again another day. icon_confused.gif

In the bottle: Flaky pastry, sweetness, and cherries. It smells like cherry pie to me. No apricot, and if there's any spijs, it's not really coming through.

Wet: Same as above, more or less.

Dry: Mmmm. Buttery, vanillay, and fruity. The cherry isn't as prominent. More apricot, I think, though to be honest, I'm not 100% sure I could tell you what apricot smells like. Still not sure about the spijs. I'm not getting almond, but that might be the pastry-ish sweetness I'm getting.

I'm really glad I went for this one with my Yules. It's really lovely.

I amp almond, so that's all I got at first, both in the bottle and then on my skin. After a while, the apricot came out to play. Never got any cherries, though, not like I have a problem with that, or anything. :) This scent makes me want to try the real thing. :) It's a nice yummy food scent.

In the bottle: cherry and almond with a bakery sweetness

Wet on wrist: sweet cherry and almond, like a cherry-fied version of Dana O'Shee (yum!)

On the drydown: Yup, pretty much the same. The pastry scent is very low on me, as the almond blows it away mostly. I don't really get any apricot, but my skin amps almond so that could be why. Medium throw.

If you like Dana O'Shee, you will probably like this.

Mother Shub's Toothsome Banketstaaf - This opens up with a blast of flakey pastries and cherry, but the cherry quickly tones down and an almost sour apricot becomes the prominent note. It actually blends quite nicely with the buttery vanilla of the pastry and reminds me of a lovely apricot and vanilla sugar scrub I used a number of years ago. I'm very surprised that for a foody scent, this scent doesn't go "off" on me and stays true. I'm not much of a foodie, so I'm not sure if I would ever choose to wear this, though. I think I'd prefer this scent as a soap, scrub, or shampoo scent -- something that's wonderful, but doesn't stick around all day. Mmmm.... or it could make a nice oil burner scent. I'll have to give that a shot in the coming days!

Warm and spicy pastry. Apricot Jam is very much the strongest note for me. Cherries are surprisingly tame on my skin. (I usually amp cherry/almond notes.)

In the decant, I'm getting pastry, almond, and cherry, not so sure where the apricot may be lurking in here. And on my skin, it's pretty much the same, like a cherry-almond muffin, and it's still really good. I'm thinking that the apricot's mixing in with the cherries in this, and slowly coming to the forefront.

Definitely liking this on the drydown; going to be seeking a bottle of this.

Edited by Venneh

THIS. Is just DIVINE. :thud:

Buttery, flaky pastry simply shoved full of sweet, yet tart apricot jam and almond paste. The apricot jam is the strongest on my skin, but I can totally smell the BUTTER in the pastry as well as the almond paste hanging out in the background. It's not sickeningly sweet, and I honestly wouldn't even call it a true full-blown foody scent, though it definitely leans that way.

The more this dries down, the more I think I might need to order a backup bottle. It's really special! APRICOT! :D

In the bottle and when first applied, the glace cherries pretty much took over. Upon drying however, the cherry pretty much faded completely, leaving the apricot and almond. I'm not really getting a heavy pastry scent, but once in awhile I get a hint of it. It's quite pretty!

I might need a bottle...

Banketstaaf:

This smells like a can of maraschino cherries with some almonds sprinkled on top. As it dries the pastry portion of this becomes stronger, I can smell nutmeg and maybe some vanilla. The cherries stay present through-out. I do not smell any apricot.

On me, this was VERY reminiscent of Knave of Hearts. And unfortunately, it has the shrill sweet sugared almond note that goes screwy in Bite Me as well. It goes way, WAY too sweet. At the beginning it has a lovely cherry scent, freshened with apricot, and . . . BAM. Shrill almond. Sigh.

I actually kind of like this, which surprised me as I tacked on the decant on a whim.

It's very foody, the most sugary-buttery-foody of the Yules I've tried this year, and I find the apricot note to be the most prominent on my skin. There's a touch of cherry, but it takes a backseat. I'm discovering that I may just not like almond -- Bite Me was very strange to me, as well, and they seem to share a bit of a component here. I find that there's a strange, almost soapy tinge to the almond note that I find distracting in an otherwise heavy-foody blend.

Also, since I don't have any actual associations with this food (although it sounds delicious!) my nose interprets it as "foody fruity melange" more than anything else, because I don't have a specific reference to bring to mind. It's like "Apricot jam, that's nice, I like that... there's something, uh, cherry here? And a bit of pastry. And something... almond? Maybe a little soapy? Huh."

Initially on me, this is a buttery fruity orchestra of scents, almost like Fruitcake. Nice throw and it lasts for a while...BUT after an hour morphs into nasty almond paste, which on me is like rancid toothpaste. EEK. No.

in bottle - almonds, pastry, butter, cherry, and I do scent apricot in my bottle. but you gotta look for it.

wet - the same, with more almonds, more cherry, and more apricot. i suspect this would be very pretty to anyone who liked the almond or cherry notes to start with. they probably smell nice on me. i cant get over the "cherry" here. the buttery pastry is nice, but not great.

dry - I'm getting a lot more apricot than anything now, theres a hint of cherry and butter pastry. I like the apricot a lot however.

rating - 6/10

This scent was not quite as foody or rich as I think I was expecting, but still very nice. The apricot is there but a bit more subtle, the real stand out note is the cherry to me. It's a bit on the tart side, not a real deep, rich cherry. There is a sort of vanilla-y pastry note in the background too, which helps these fruity notes stick a bit. It's pretty straightforward as a scent, doesn't morph much. I think it's lovely enough to warrant keeping around and letting it age a bit. I think a little time aging will probably show this to be a really lovely scent!

This scent was not foodie at all to me. It actually smelled floral. Have you ever gotten some perfume on your hands and then gone to eat something? And then that something tastes like perfume? That is what this scent reminds me of.

In bottle/imp: Candied cherries.

Immediately on skin: This smells like pastry filled with candied cherries. Not really maraschino cherries, but I guess they’re called glace cherries like in the description. After just a moment though the apricot comes in and drowns out a lot of that cherry scent. There’s also more of a buttered pastry note after a minute or two.

After a little while: This smells like apricot lotion with a little almond now. The cherry and pastry notes disappeared completely, and left me with a creamy but slightly plastic-y apricot scent.

Overall Impressions: I think I need to try this scent in a scent locket because I love the glace cherry scent I get from it in the decant with just a little buttered pastry. As it sits on my skin, however, it totally morphs into an apricot lotion scent with just a touch of almond. So sad…

it's the most amazing thing: this smells so strongly of real flaky pastry, warm buttery, with puddles of sticky fruity filling. insane. how does beth do this?

it's novelty fun to sniff, not really my thing to wear (though i might think about how to layer it, just for kicks). but i know it would make the most knockout room scent. seriously, you'd have neighbors knocking down your door in search of the delectable-smelling baked goodness you must have just taken from the oven. how fun, then, to tell them, 'ha ha, sucker, it's phantom seasonal pastry! go home hungry'.

the perfect diabolical seasonal scent blend for the cruel grinches among us.

Sweet screaming butter cherry-almond, Batman! This is rich, rich, rich and very sweet. The pastry + butter hit reminds me of Jack and I think it is more than I can handle! I don't get any apricot at all from this.

I knew there was a risk with the butter note - it is a gorgeous scent, but I'd rather have it in my kitchen than on my skin!

On the skin: Uh, oh.... cough syrup cherries.... with a bit of a pastry smell.

After a bit the cherry fades and now this is starting to smell kinda yummy! Sadly it fades soon after... My skin ate this one up!

This one smells better wet and in the bottle than it does on my skin. The first wet notes are sweet, shimmering deliciousness. I DO get apricots and almonds and it is fabulous. Unlike a lot of the other reveiwers, I don't get much cherry. As it dries down, the almond starts to smell a little artificial and there is an odd floral that seems to come to the surface.

All in all, I am keeping my decant, but it's for the oil burner. No need to buy a bottle of this one for me.

She's my cherry pie

Cool drink of water

Such a sweet surprise

Tastes so good

Make a grown man cry

Sweet cherry pie

*ahem* sorry - bad 80s flashback :ack:

When this first went on, it was OMG CHERRY in a very artificial cherry kind of way. Then the almond came out, then the apricot joined in and the whole thing changed from cherry pie to apricot pie with cherries on top. After a while, it's dried down to mostly apricot with a slightly sour tinge of cherry. So for me, this is very true to the listed notes - I'm glad I got a decant because one has to try these things, ya know? But a bottle won't be necessary, I'm finally starting to realise that pastry-related things do not make good perfume for me.

In the bottle, this smells like cherry pie (sweet cherries and sweet pastry) with something pleasantly perfumey.

On my skin, this quickly morphs into cherry kool-aid powder. Cherry notes often aren't kind to me. As it dries down, the cherry actually slinks into the background and the apricot comes out. It smells like fuzzy, sweet, perfumey apricots and pie crust now. The cherry note disappears within ten minutes on my skin, and I'm okay with that. Unfortunately, the entire scent disappears within 20 minutes. I think that Toothsome Banketstaaf might have the worst staying power ever.

I like this, because I love that apricot note, but the whole blend doesn't last long at all. I might try using this in my oil warmer, because I think that it would make a good room scent as well...

APRICOT LINZER TART COOKIES!! These are my favorite cookies ever and this smells exactly like them .. I even smell the powdered sugar! As it dries down it isn't as sweet, but that's okay: as long as I still smell like linzer tart cookies, lol. This is definitely bottle worthy. I think this is going to be my Christday Day scent. :)