Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

Harlot

Based on a Romany incense blend reputed to induce sexual dreams: Somalian rose, Moroccan rose and Bulgar rose with a sultry dribble of cinnamon.

Out of the vial, Harlot smells like a soaking wet rose, just as it starts to go past bloom. Applied, is the very scent of a drenched, water-logged roseblossom, set to rot on dark, rain-wettened earth. As it dries, the rose has been crushed underfoot and ground into the soil-- a heady, rotting scent of exotic roses, mixed with deepest wet, almost acrid soil. This fragrance is slightly reminiscent for me of Zombi-- however, whereas Zombi is wistful and the rose is dry and full of remembrance, this rose is dirty-- another evocative, absolutely amazing rose scent, Elizabeth.

First sniff: Harlot really does smell like wet roses, and there’s a hint of something else I can’t pin down, something a bit brighter. It boggles me that I’ve sniffed so many rose scents and they’re all different.

Wearing: There have been only two rose scents that were too strongly rosey for me – Black Rose and now this one. I’m trying to put my finger on the difference between them, ‘cause I know there is one, but at the moment it’s just screaming ROSE! in my ear and I can’t smell anything else. This one is more aggressively, arrogantly rosey, with BIG thorns. Black Rose is a bit more reserved. After a few minutes on I can smell the cinnamon lurking about underneath, reining the rose in a bit – and I forget until I smell something like this what REAL cinnamon smells like, because anytime I see cinnamon in something I expect it to smell like one of those spicy red jawbreakers (Red Hots, I think). But this is REAL cinnamon, like someone grabbed a curl of cinnamon bark and a fine-mesh grater and grated the spice directly over an enormous RED rose.

Interestingly, this is the only one of the 10 Love Potions I’ve tried so far that I really haven’t gotten along with. For rose fans, it's a must-try... the cinnamon adds an interesting lighter note, but it's still just too rosey for me (though Rapture and Othello are slowly bringing me around from the rabidly anti-rose crowd).

First impression...an overflowing rosebush just after a refreshing summer rain. Very reminiscent of my youth, tending my mom's rosebushes during summer break from school.

Unfortunately, with all scents that contain cinnamon, this one is starting to react badly to my skin. I think I am going to have to try a few of the different rose scents as I absolutely love the smell, but can't tolerate wearing it.

initial impressions: *i am cinnamon hear me roar* with just a whisper of rose in the background

later: the rose definitely blooms. there's a nice balance between the rose and the cinnamon. this is a rose that knows what it wants, and it wants sex. now. NOW. NOOOOOWWWWWW. not 5 minutes from now.

not only a keeper, but it's going on my newly started 5ml list.

Okay, I haven't written any reviews for a while (had a bout of depression). This scent brought me out of that and made me write this review. I am NOT a big Rose person, but this scent has taught me to be more appreciative of rose. I am in LOVE with this scent. I feel beautiful when I wear it. The rose smells a bit fruity to me and I love the touch of cinnamon. It makes it ever so slightly spicy. This is a luscious fragrance!! I am tempted to try more rose scents now. I did find that this was quite light on me, but I had no problem reapplying. I am also used to heavier scents. This is a big hit. Beth has done rose perfection!

I love this. Amazingly sexy, very womanly. I get way more rose than cinnamon. It doesn't last on my skin at all; however, if I put it on and put my clothes on while it's still wet, so some gets on my clothes, I can smell it all day. I had some on the back of my neck that ended up on the collar of my coat, and now my locker at work smells like Harlot. SO glad I didn't give this one away for lack of staying power. This is perfection.

First Impression: I never knew I could adore a rosy scent, that is until Beth unleashed her magic. Huge roses on the hottest and most humid of days.

Second Impression: Here comes the cinnamon. Shollin put it perfectly...

But this is REAL cinnamon, like someone grabbed a curl of cinnamon bark and a fine-mesh grater and grated the spice directly over an enormous RED rose.

Final Analysis: I like how when the cinnamon blooms, the roses stand up to it. It's very well balance. I like that I've never smelled anything like this. I smell like a one-of-a-kind. We'll see if my hard of smelling husband notices.

In the BPAL world of roses, we've got innocent rose scents, womanly rose scents, mournful rose scents... Harlot is definitely a sexual rose scent. I love rose scents and this one is one of my favorites thus far. The cinnamon adds the perfect touch of ravage-me naughtiness to the roses. It's a very, very seductive scent, it's stilletto heels and garter belts. The cinnamon totally transforms the rose in this. This is the perfect rose scent for people who thought they'd never like a rose scent.

Roses and cinnamon which exude warmth. Very nice, but not long lasting for me.

I cant smell the cinamon in this scent, but I do smell the glorious roses. This is a wonderful rose scent. Harlot is a sexy fragrance, in a light floral teasing way.

:P

I didn't like the other BPAL rose scents I have tried all that much. Rakshasa was too timid, Black Rose too sweet . . . Harlot is none of those things and absolutely fantastic. My mom used to buy a rose scented incense from a head shop near to where she went to college and this scent is EXACTLY the same. It's even better when it gets on a sweater or scarf and sits for a couple of days. It's red, red roses with spiciness built in and just gets better as you wear it! I love how elegant and sexy yet free-spirited I feel while I have it on.

I would *love* Harlot if it wasn't for this slight palmarosa/citronella note somewhere underneath. This note makes the otherwise wonderful blend smell like insect repellant on me.

If I could get Harlot without that citronella type note, I would buy a bottle without thinking twice.

Otherwise this is a very lush rose scent, like a huge, mature red rose almost overblooming. Harlot is an adult woman's confidence in her own sexuality, as opposed to the virginlike white and pink roses of Maiden. Lovely.

-Milk

ETA: Well, now that I've had more time to get to know the beauty that is Harlot, I would most certainly buy a bottle without thinking twice. It's moved from "almost perfect" to "almost perfect? Was I on drugs or something?".

I love this scent, and the tinge of citronella I got earlier doesn't bother me at all anymore. Can't detect it, and the blend smells nothing like insect repellant on me (yeah, umm...sorry about that, Beth).

The fact is, I looove a good, sexy rose scent, and Harlot is definately one.

Roses and cinnamon, what more can I ask? :P

Edited by MilkAndSugar

So I *can*wear rose, after all.

This goes on very rosey at first, but with a nice bite of cinnamon (I love cinnamon).

After half an hour, the rose is a bit soapy. Soapy cinnamon. It reminds me a teensy little bit of Sin, which turned a bit soapy on me as well, but Harlot isn't quite as deep and dark.

harlot makes me want to copulate. peackock feathers, wild roses, red-hots. ssssssss..my tongue is burning!

for a good time, mate harlot with zombie. this scent could give a dead guy a stiffy.

:P

This is all cinnamon on me - I've tried it a few times but I can't detect any rose. And it's like cinnamon gum, not really like the spice (I think the rose may be what's making the cinnamon sweeter). Anyway, not for me, another to be swapped.

While I am not a fan of floral scents, I tend to enjoy the BPAL perfumes that include rose.

Unfortunately, Harlot was all rose on me while wet and dry. I could not detect a hint of cinnamon.

Anyone who loves the scent of roses and has a similar body chemistry to me would adore this fragrance. It is also exceptionally long-lasting. Even after 12 hours of wear, my wrists still smell of roses.

It took me several tries to fall in love with Harlot.

The first time I wore it, I found it nice, but a little bland. Not much staying power either.

The second time around was better. Very cinnamony in the vial, then quite rosey on my skin while wet. During drydown, the cinnamon came back and played with the rose without completely blending with it. One minute I could smell the rose and the next the cinnamon.

I was still having a hard time deciding if this was a swap or not, so I tried it a third time, applying it over Virgo that I had been wearing all day. Eureka! The perfect combination! Rose, spice, wood, this mixture is beautiful and damn sexy. As in really, really sexy.

A definite keeper, if only for layering purposes :P

It never ceases to amaze me reading reviews how the same oil can be so different on/to so many people!

This was almost all cinnamon to me (which I love). Within a few minutes of putting it on, my skin started to burn where it was applied. However, I was patient and and the heat and the redness went away after probably ten minutes.

I'm glad I stuck it out! This oil has some definite staying power. It dried down enough that I could finally smell the rose. This is a delicious scent! I'm glad I was able to buy a 5ml from someone off the LHC boards.

I usually abhor rose scents and yet BPAL has, in their rose-genius, several that I like. I think this may be my favorite. I ordered this because my favorite incense recipe blends rose petals with cinnamon and I hoped this might smell similar. (It does when I blend it with Zombi.) Wet it goes on very sensual and naughty, with the sweetness of rose, yet none of the old-ladyness I associate with so many rose scents. Unfortunately the rose then trumps the cinnamon as it dries down. It's still pretty nice but I think I'll save the rest of mine as a house scent. Burned alone or smeared on candles, it really sets an erotic mood.

Edited by Nepthys

Harlot. What an emotional blend for me. The blend reminds me so strongly of my grandma, whose name was Rosie. I was stood smelling the imp (I hadn’t even opened it) and I was transported back to her dressing table.

As you would expect, this is a rose scent, but, to me, is a period scent - a time when you used blush in a little cardboard box, compacts were always beautifully decorated, lipstick was always red and in gold coloured metal tubes, and you just *had* to use a little red handkerchief to blot your lipstick.

It is a burst of wonderful fresh roses. I feel as if I am stood in a rose garden, with many different types of roses - wet, creamy but never timid. I feel wrapped in a beautiful pink blanket - a very comforting scent.

A long-lasting scent - I put it on at 9.30pm and it was still going strong at 7am. One to wear on Saturday afternoons, lying on the settee reading a good book whilst sipping a gin and tonic (with ice and a slice, darling :P ), and maybe with a Bette Davis film in the background.

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): Finally, a scent where the cinnamon takes prominence. This is amazingly blended – Beth never ceases to amaze me. It is as if someone took a bouquet of roses and used cinnamon sticks in place of the baby’s breath and greenery – or, should I say took a bouquet of cinnamon sticks and used roses in place of the baby’s breath and greenery. Truly amazing!

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): This really warms up to a wonderful spicy rose scent. The cinnamon is fabulous and with the rose under it … ooohhh, I like it a lot.

I just cannot believe how nummy I smell. If The Kim (my lovely friend who allowed me to borrow this) doesn’t let me keep the imp, I’ll have to order at least an imp of my own. If this continues to bring nummy, happy thoughts and mindset, I shall have to add it to my Big Bottle List. We’ll see what the hubby thinks.

Throughout the Day (10am-Noon): This delectable scent has virtually dissipated in the air around me. My skin holds a spicy incense, but the cinnamony goodness has all but left. :P I shall have to remember to keep the imp with me for reapplication.

Harlot

I got this in a swap with diabolique. Thanks!

Preconceived notions:

Rose... and cinnamon? You mean, a rich, saucy floral with spice? That sounds perfect for a scent to honor the Maiden (who I traditionally associate with red flowers and spice, esp. cinnamon).

Testing it:

In the vial: Yep - that's a cinnamon-dusted rose.

On me:

First impressions: Wow, that's a rose. Or rather, -roses-, as in, a whole bouquet of roses.

Within a few minutes: Ah, there's the cinnamon. Oh, mmm... mmm... Either I'm overly sensitive to names or this is -good-. I definitely feel like a wanton harlot.

(*considers ordering some Wanton just to see how it would layer with this, but I don't even remember what notes are in Wanton or if it's even on my wishlist*)

Later: Heady and erotic. This just gets better and better. It even wafts! (one of the only scents to actually do so on me) I feel like an exotic dancer carrying a bouquet of roses through the spice area of a bazaar, hips swaying, eyes giving bold glances to all who dare meet my gaze. I didn't think rose could *be* this sexy (yes, even *after* reading all the previous reviews).

Final impressions: To honor the Maiden? Sure. To wear and bring out my inner sexy Maiden? Definitely. And strangely, or perhaps not so strangely, it makes the song "Spanish Harlem" run through my head. Big bottle? Very likely sometime in the distant future. Or near future...

in the vial: Very hardcore womanly. This is a WOMAN, not a girl, and she will kick your ass. I like her.

on my skin: Why the hell am I picturing Diagon Alley in my head? Maybe because I smell something dusky, musty, mysterious and alluring. I smell rose petals and dark spice. This is a fabulous cold weather scent. I reeeeeeally like it. I love roses and I love cinnamon, so I was obviously going to love this one. :D The only problem is that is doesn't seem to last very long.

Oh, and the other problem is that I asked my mom what she thought and she said it smelled like cold cream. :sob:. However, I really like this and I don't think it smells like cold cream. I feel like this is the younger, sexier sister of Spellbound, though, because of her bold womanlyness. I feel like this might be a little old for me, but it's younger smelling than Spellbound. I'm not sure I'll do a big bottle of this in the near future, but I'll try it again later and see if she changes my mind. She seems like she can handle herself pretty well. I can't tell whether or not this oil will allow me to become her for a day or if I'll just end up submitting to her. :P