Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

Harlot

Based on a Romany incense blend reputed to induce sexual dreams: Somalian rose, Moroccan rose and Bulgar rose with a sultry dribble of cinnamon.

Harlot is hands down the worst BPAL blend that I have ever tried (on me). It's so strong and sharp. I thought that the combination of rose and cinnamon would be gorgeous, but I don't smell any cinnamon at all. This is bitter soapy roses and rotting roses on me. It's kind of burning my skin and making it red (and that has never happened to me before). It burns my nose when I smell it. Everything that could be bad about a perfume seems to be here in Harlot.

It's so overwhelming and nauseating. I had to wash it off (several attempts to make it go away) and it will be going straight to my swap pile.

I never order rose blends for myself because I never think I'm going to like them, but the lab keeps sending them to me and I keep becoming unexpectedly enamored. You would think I'd wise up and get a clue eventually and just admit that I like rose.

The first thing that struck me about Harlot was the spiciness. I don't even notice the roses at first. It was just lovely sweet spiciness. Then, everything came together and there was truly something magical about it. I feel so pampered wearing this one, like I've done something wonderful for myself just by putting it on.

Oh me oh my, a rose scent that doesn't strangle me with powder!

This is refreshing!

I smell the cinnamon most prominently at first. I do smell the roses, but they're spiced up and sexified by the cinnamon. It's like roses and red hots... the cinnamon almost makes my tongue tingly, it's so potent.

Drying down, the rose does become more of a player, but the cinnamon kicks the rose notes in the ass, keeping them in line.

I like this, I DO.. but I like my Love in the Asylum better.

I'll probably wear this one full day, and then swap it out to a more covetous owner.

What possessed me to order so many rose scents? Cripes almighty.

This is a nice blend, to be sure. The roses smell very realistic to me, and though I don't pick up the cinnamon, that's actually a good thing since it tends to hijack scents.

Actually one of the nicer rose blends on my skin, as it blends in instead of hovering on the surface.

But I'm just not sure I'm a rose kind of girl. I may keep this one as an anointing oil for ritual purposes, however.

Imagine putting your nose next to the thickest part of a rose stem. Inhale deeply. Smell the green, leafy smell. The slight bitterness of the stalk. The far off scent of the rose waving above. Cinnamon is sprinked on the ground, enough to be spicy, but not enough to be detected as cinnamon. That's Harlot on me. The green part of the stalk, a hint of rose, a breath of cinnamon (that doesn't smell like cinnamon, just must be, since it says it is). It is consistent and stays true, and I don't really like it. But I liked that I got to try it. :P

Edited because I couldn't spell.

Edited by empi girl

In the vial: Rose.

On, wet: Still mostly rose, but I feel that cinnamon beginning to tickle my nose.

Later: This is my favourite rose blend, by far. Unnngood. The heat of cinnamon, and the roses stay balanced, they don't totally dominate. It's fantastic.

In the imp this smells like a 50/50 blend of roses and straight up cinnamon. I love roses, so I got very excited. The second it touched my fingertips, the "Curse" hit. I've never had a rose go powdery on me before...this is sad and possibly horrific since I love roses. I will pray that there was a secret waft of amber in it so I won't blame the rose...:P

In the imp: Very rosey. I can’t smell cinnamon at all.

On my wrist-still rosey

Dry-Oooh! There’s the cinnamon, and what an entrance. My wrist now smells the way Cinnamon Mentos taste, only richer. And now I’m hungry for junk food. I’m not sure if I want a full bottle of this yet, but I’ll be looking for other scents with cinnamon in it for sure.

Harlot is one of very, very few rose scents [bPAL or otherwise] that I actually like.

I tried Persephone and that was smack you over the head soapy rose on me, I had no idea where the pomegranate went. So roses and fruit seemed not to work. Rose Red is too fresh and green, and the green-ness goes sickly sweet on me. Whip is all rose, no leather. Alice doesn't smell like roses, it smells like a cake covered in whipped cream with flower petals on the top as decorations. I love Alice, but it's not a rose scent to me.

But rose and a bit of spice, as it is in Harlot, is great. I don't wear it often enough to upgrade to a 5 ML, but the imp is going to be used up. I like wearing it at night-it doesn't really make me feel sexual (I don't think rose ever will) but it does make me feel lovely. The cinnamon never tries to beat the rose to death; instead, they blend together very evenly. It's a warm and sweet and pretty rose.

Edited by faifai

i'm on a quest to try as many bpal roses as possible :P

harlot was a risk, as i'm usually quite sensative to cinnamon, tho i love it soooooo....anyway, in the vial all i smelled was cinnamon. on my skin it went: cinnamon only....roses only...and finally settled on soapy roses with a hint of cinnamon. :D no welt, tho!

Beth's Roses + Cinnemon = True Love.

one of my favorites so far. there is nothing wacky going on with my body chemistry here. Just wonderful fantastic melding of two scents. The cinnemon is dry. the rose isn't too sweet. it sorta reminds me of a candle shop because of the mix of flower and spice, but i just love it. It is a favorite to wear when I'm going out and want to feel a bit sexy and sassy. It's got a decent throw on it too.

Hmm. I almost really like this, but the rose goes from that good-aquatic-dry note to soapy. The cinnamon is at a good level and doesn't go too crazy, but unfortunately it burns and makes me a little red. Owee!

Fans of dryer, less-juicy roses might like this, and if you're a cinnamon-amper you still might like it as well.

On my scale, a 2.5 out of 5.

My brain keeps on telling me I don't like rose blends but with every rose frimp I get I like it more and more (I even ordered rose red so I hope I like it now!!)

This is a spicy rose, the cinnamon isn't too sharp I think the rose mellows it out and likewise the cinnamon makes the rose less...flowery I guess. I was going to give this to my mum to see if she wanted to try it but I think I will keep it for myself instead!!!

At first, I was like :P to the roses. You know, used to not like florals, then I liked CREAMY florals, then I discovered I like WHITE roses...

So here I am with a bouquet of RED roses...and the cinnamon that I love. I am a bit uncomfortable, like trying on a negligee for the first time...

Yes, this is divine. Definitely a mature scent...not for the timid or childlike. The roses are lush, in full bloom. Not at all cloying or "fake" smelling. They are delicate, fresh, in a large bouquet. The cinnamon is really a unique touch. It is not entirely separate from the roses, but as if there are also cinnamon sticks in the bouquet, tied together with ribbon...

In the bottle: SOAP! Oh, I mean, ROSE! It's possible that I've just come to associate the scent of rose with the sharp scent of soap, but I didn't get such a strong soapy vibe off of, say, Rose Cross.

Wet: Oddly enough, this mellowed a little on my skin. Still ultra rosy-soapy, but sometimes it almost smelled like fresh roses.

Drydown: Got a bit softer as it dried down, but ultimately not for me. I was expecting nothing less for a rose scent, but I've made it a point to try all of them that come my way just in case.

Harlot.jpg

Oooh I'm loving this one!

At first sniff I smell strong cinnamon with a wispy fragrance of heady red roses.

I'd never have thought that cinnamon and roses would complement each other but this is just beautiful. I've always adored the more foody kitchen scents that remind me of cold winter nights and sugary goodies baking and bubbling in the oven and this does that.... add in the shared romance of a candlelit dinner and passionate night alone with a lover and you have Harlot.

It's reminiscent of every love I've felt in my life. The unconditional love and understanding from my family and the undying, unyielding, passion from my husband.

After wearing it for a half hour or so, the cinnamon is still strong but has moved to the background while the roses take center stage. Wet and heady, sweet and soft.... it's just *perfection*.

Another half hour later and it's settled into a sweet lovely scent that almost seems neither cinnamon nor roses... they have merged into one glorious scent that tickles my senses and makes me smile. This one is a definite keeper and I shall be enviously hoarding every drop.

I had high hopes for Harlot, as rose and cinnamon by themselves are key in several of my favorites. I have to confess that I would never have thought these notes would work well together, and I was pleasantly surprised that they balance and blend as well as they do.

The cinnamon was really strong in the imp and when I first applied, but after a few moments the gorgeous roses blossomed on my skin. Unique and pretty, and terrific for fall. I was trying to hoard my imp until my bottle comes, but finally said the hell with it and slathered the rest of the imp. You only live once, right?

I've gotten to the point where I can distinguish the different rose notes, and boy howdy, this is rose. Not the roses you find in Snow White, Rose Red, or 2,5, and 7. Oh no, this is like the sexy older sister rose, with a splash of cinnamon to entice. It's the scent of night time promises of lustful indulgence, but you just know the person will be gone come morning.

Wet: It has sort of a superpowered jam-packed about to explode rose smell, like it is a perfume you reconstitute in water. LOL.

Dry: Giant cabbage roses just this side of rot. I smell a tad of incense and cinnamon, but mostly a huge bouquet of roses whose petals are about to fall off.

Bottle

Wow, spicy rose...the kind of rose that I love from Crabtree & Evelynn. This does not have the generic "rose" note to me. Hopefully, this remains true!

Wet

Yup, the mix persists from imp to skin....This is fantastic. The spice tones down the overwhelming ROSE I keep getting from other rose blends. I love it.

The rose is growing, but hopefully, it will peak and eddy back down under the spicy cinnamon.

Dry

Nothing but rose. A good, heady rose, though. After a bit more time, it has mellowed into a lovely spicy rose. Quite pretty. This is the first rose I think I will keep.

In the imp, Harlot was pure, dark rose -- the kind of red rose that is so deep in color it's nearly black. Once on my skin, I got a bit of spice while it was still wet, then as it dried the cinnamon was brought out more. It blended beautifully with the roses; the roses didn't allow the cinnamon to take over the scent, and the cinnamon added that extra depth to the roses that I prefer.

The throw was strong enough for my co-worker to smell me from several feet away (and over photo processing chemicals, too!). I'm not sure how long it lasted, though, because I put it on this morning before going to work, and then we were too busy for me to keep track of the scent.

I do absolutely love this scent.

In the bottle, it was cinnamon with a hint of rose behind it.

Wet, it was pure cinnamon - nothing else. And a Big Red gum type of cinnamon, too.

After it was dry for a bit, the rose started to come out a little, eventually overtaking the cinnamon. The cinnamon stayed in the background, warming the scent nicely.

It only lasted a short time on me - maybe two hours? Three max. A nice scent, but I think I'll be happy with just my imp.

First on my skins, it's a sharp hit of cinnamon - tingling in the nose cinnamon. After a few minutes the rose starts to step forward. This is a sweet, cheerful rose with cinnamon. I never would have thought those two notes would go together so well. Another pleasant surprise!

It stays close to the skin and fades pretty quickly, within two hours. I'll try slathering and see if I can get it to stick around, it's quite pretty.

Perfectly nice, but for me this is really just another of the many perfectly okay rosey blends, a little bit like a nice scented soap; nothing wrong with it, but not something I would ever specifically want to put on. Still, there's nothing wrong with having nice unremarkable rose blends around.