Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

Harlot

Based on a Romany incense blend reputed to induce sexual dreams: Somalian rose, Moroccan rose and Bulgar rose with a sultry dribble of cinnamon.

A nice cinnamon rose.
I like the gypsy association.
I like the light fruitiness, but the rose is a little intense and watery for me.
I'll try it again another day.

I am a huge fan of rose scents and this is the latest in a long line of BPAl rose scents that I have tried. While I do think the rose smells gorgeous, I can't smell the cinnamon at all.

I think Harlot smells very similar to Old London, which is my favourite BPAL scent, but Old London has more staying power. As I already have a bottle of Old London, there doesn't seem much point in buying a bottle of this, but it is lovely.

harlot

at first: the lab tossed this in as an extra with my order. i wouldn't have bought this for myself, since i tend to have problems with cinnamon. when i smell this, though, all i smell is a bouquet of different roses. very beautiful.

on: very beautiful. i'm surprised how sensual this is. i smell mostly rose, but with the tiniest hint of spice.

half an hour later: a gorgeous bouquet of different roses. the cinnamon is soft, just barely enough to notice it.

1 hour later: more powdery. i really like this.

2 hours later: i still like this. roses and a tiny bit of cinnamon. very sexy.

overall: i really like this one. i'm really glad the lab tossed this in with my order.

I am not a huge fan of rose scents - though I love the flowers themselves - or florals generally, but something about it being "Based on a Romany incense blend reputed to induce sexual dreams" and the very idea of mixing cinnamon with roses was intriguing to me.

This one smells just as it says to me, roses and cinnamon, with the emphasis on the rose side.

But actual real roses - not that potpourri, air freshener or old-lady tea rose smell.

And real cinnamon - not sweet or candy-like.

(edited to note that, as others have said, it does tend to fade quickly on me as well - needs re-application after only 3 hours or so)

It's a lighter, simpler and slightly more feminine scent than other bpals i tend to favor - yet it maintains an air of uniqueness that is common to my favorites.

This ended up being a big bottle for me for when I want to change things up.

Edited by wolfie13

It never ceases to amaze me how different scents work so differently on different people, or how the same apparent notes will combine differently on me in different vials.

Now that I have set a new land-speed record for using "different" in one sentence ...

I have found that I like most BPAL rose scents when they are combined with other notes I love, and I love cinnamon so I was interested to see what would happen with Harlot. I have also found that most of the time the rose scents have major staying power on me and hit early and hard, while cinnamon notes come on later during drydown.

IN THE BOTTLE: A lovely light rose, no trace of cinnamon, but that didn't surprise me given what I said about drydown tendencies.

Applied with the applicator top to wrists and crooks of arm. Could barely smell it at all, surprisingly, so went for the finger tip and reapplied to same spots as well as pulse points on chest.

WET: Must be my chemistry, but even with a pretty generous application I could barely smell this on me at all! Just rose, a nice light one as I said, very very pleasant. I just wish it were stronger.

DRYDOWN: It simply disappeared before it even got to the cinnamon. It is noon, I put it on around 9:30 and I can't smell ANYTHING.

It's too bad because I really like it, but doubt I would buy a big bottle because of how much I would apparently need to make it stick. However, I do have a vial of Silentium Amoris and plan on trying 3 Witches in all its cinnamony glory tomorrow or the next day, so maybe if I layer them I'll get something close to what this is on other people, LOL!!!

I was a bit worried when I put this on because it was so strong. I liked the wet-rose smell but I wasn't sure if I wanted to smell that strongly of it. After a while it mellowed down a lot to a lovely soft rose scent, and hasn't gone powdery on me at all - it reminds me of the Body Shop's Tea Rose perfume that they used to do. I don't get much cinnamon from this at all, but I don't mind as it smells wonderful after the initial power has gone.

This perfume also surprised me. I like the smell of roses but generally I tend to go for earthy patchouli and wood smells. Harlot made a nice change from that.

Edited by leapylees

Totally...odd. I should have loved this. I mean c'mon roses and cinnamon purrrrr.

My chemistry just eats this though and while it's very rosey in the bottle, it disapears almost instantly hitting my skin. There's a faint soapy rose scent left, but no lingering effect, no cinnamon. No Romany incense for me. Sad minx.

Edited by Northernminx

Well, I just knew I'd love this, seeing as I'm such a rose fan.

Didn't call that one right, though.

Wet, I love it. It's just what I pictured-- sexy, lush, cinnamony rose. On the drydown, the cinnamon evaporates (pretty quickly on me), and then I smell the same rose as Silentium Amoris, so I'm loving that...until it turns into a sicky-sweet rose powder. It's almost...rose bubble gum?

Right now I don't like it, but I also think I'm getting a cold, so my sniffer might be off. I'll give it another shot on another day before relegating it to swaps.

I'm surprised at my impression of Harlot, because it wasn't what I'd expected to get out of three roses and a touch of cinnamon.

First applied, Harlot is straight roses. Gorgeous, full-bloomed, overblown roses - complete with leaves and broken stems, like in Tarot: The Empress. In about 15 seconds, though, I get that fabulous indescribable powdery note that I so love in Unseelie. Absolute elegance, let me tell you - Unseelie dribbling off of rose petals!

While the Unseelie note was the big surprise, and a delightful one, at that ... I'd forgotten about the cinnamon. When it started to peek through, I was surprised again at how well it worked with the other components of Harlot, and I was even more surprised that it didn't take off at a gallop and overwhelm the rest of the fragrance. It truly must be just a dribble, because it's such a "just peeking in for a moment" note in this scent.

I like Harlot. In fact, I like Harlot a lot. I think, though, that I like Harlot because of the similarity to Unseelie, and that it might be better suited to my rose-loving mother. If I purchase a bottle it will be for her, and I'll stick to my beloved Unseelie - but don't let that keep you from trying what's another of Beth's amazing rose creations!

Wet- yup, this is definitely roses and cinnamon. And it's pink roses to me, not any other color. The rose is the most prominent note on my skin when wet, but as it dries, the cinnamon really comes into its own, and it's like cinnamon with a rose background.

Wearing- at first the combination of roses and cinnamon is almost a bit plasticy. It develops, however, into a warm, powdery scent. I find it comforting.

Overall, I've had really good experiences with BPAL rose scents. I wasn't sure about this one for awhile, but it ended up working for me. I'm not sure it's in line for a big bottle, because there are other rose scents I like better, but I'll certainly use up the imp.

I got Harlot in a swap. I was curious to see what a cinnamon and rose blend would smell like. Wow, it's fabulous in the vial and wet on my skin, but in about 30 seconds, it turns to a very soapy, powdery smell, very strange! I'll be passing this one along.

Most everyone who knows me knows that I love rose, so I was very surprised that Harlot didn't quite work for me. I was glad that the cinnamon wasn't overpowering, letting the rose shine, but it disappeared on me very quickly.

In The Bottle Another spicey floral, courtesy of Beth

Wet OOOOOHHHH..... mmmmmmm I am having a perfume induced stupor. WOW. this is sexy as shit..... spicey and firey cinnamon tempered by wet full bosomed roses.

Drydown I wanna hump my arm. rofl. Omigawd this is cum-hither (lol) sometimes it strikes me as more cinnamony other times more rose.... it comes over you in delicious waves...... This is so yummy and warm and round and lusty.

Two Hours Later It got very very very faint. :D

But while sleeping last night I had the strangest dreams about past lovers.... hmmmm..... :D They weren't sex dreams, but they were very sexual and emotional. I haven't dreamt like that in soooooo long.

Verdict In general I don't like cinnamon, but I really like this one as a prfume for specific ocasions. I.E. next time I go to the bars I plan to be wafting harlot from the naughtiest of body parts. :P

Edited by etherealchild

The first BPAL scent I ever tried was Silentium Amoris which is like a GIGANTIC rose scent. I love rose scents but that one was even a bit much for me. My usual store bought perfume is Stella which is rose and amber (and worth a sniff if you are near one of those perfume stores).

Harlot is what a lot of people have said already, a much softer, fresher rose. It's like it has been fresh cut with the green still there. I don't smell any cinnamon at all. Oh wait, if possible, the cinnamon may be adding a slightly sweet tone.

I like this scent all the way through but it fades quickly. I'm wondering if using it in a lotion might give it more staying power.

In the imp: Cinnamon dipped Roses in full bloom :D :D :P

Swiped on hand wet: Spicy Roses.... HOLY SHIT this is sex in a vial.... Soft rose with the naughty bite of cinnamon.... MMMMMMMMM

Drydown, immediate: MMMMM cinnamon comes to the foreground held up on the perfect blend of Roses..... Damn this is hot... Perfect scent to punish a man with, and feel good doing it ;-)...

This is the first BPAL Rose scent I've had a chance to try. I'm not really getting any scent of cinnamon which is sad for me seeing I LOVE cinnamon! Very pretty scent. On first drydown I seemed to be getting wafts of a lemony scent. Don't know where that was coming from since no one else mentioned that. Had a bit of a migraine this morning so maybe that affected my nose. :P

This is a very feminine, floral, but yes - knock your socks off sexy scent, that I really like. Reapplication would be required though. Overall, thumbs up!

Soft rosey and delicat. I like it a lot, like you have smeared yourself with a expensive rosecream that you found in an old box at the attic and might date back from Victorian times.

Cinnamon? Not noticable for my nose, it's rose, rose, rose. Not a red rose but a pale, pink rose.

The only reason i will not buy a 5ml is that it is too delicat and subtle for me as i like strong scents.

I combined it today with Follow me Boy, fits good together

Edited by quinkel

First sniff from the bottle- Spicy flowers

After 10 minutes- Rose, rose, rose and rose....with cinnamon sprinkles.

After 30 minutes- This one is very pretty but it is giving me a headache. I love cinnamon, but rose and I do not get along.

Summery- Off to swaps!

In the bottle, it struck me as spicy cherries, oddly enough. I couldn't remember what was in Harlot until it started to dry on my skin and I caught the rose notes. Now that it's settled, neither the cinnamon nor the roses seem to be trying to push the other out. They are equally present but not overwhelmingly so.

The rose is much more powdery than the kind I normally favor. And sadly, the cinnamon doesn't detract from that enough to make this something I think I'd choose to wear on any kind of a regular basis. As others have noted, the cinnamon strikes me as the kind you'd find in gum where it's sweet enough to not be stingy. And I think that's what keeps it from being a true floral rose on me. It might be nice for a scent locket, as I find the scent more than pleasant and am glad I have the imp to play around with. But it's just not ME.

i am learning if it is one of beth's rose blends try it straight away, so in my newest imp pile i seperated try first try next try last piles, this was in teh try first pile, and it was right on, i am in lust w/ it, it smells like roses and cinnamon but roses and cinnamon does not begin to describe it at the smae time :P it is roses and cinnamon having sex....how is that for a mental pic. anyway they are very entwined, very warm, very moist, very lush......sigh

Mmm.... this one is delicious. Big, lush, dewy-wet blood red roses, wrapped in spicy, warm cinnamon. The rose and the cinnamon are about equally balanced on me, and the cinnamon gives it a nice bite. And the roses are *real* roses... I was not expecting such a fresh, living rose scent, and I adore it.

Uber-sexy, this one.

Overall I like this scent but Im looking for something more interesting. Rose is so common

in a perfume. What is really interesting is that the scent worked for me by giving me the dreams that I wanted.

Cinnamon, and then ROSE!

and back and forth they go but nicely almost a sexual tug of war!

not an innocent rose, but not waxy like sacred whore went with her cinnamon either.

very wearable, very sniffable, none of the tea rose, no white rose, a big fat red garden rose, WITH THORNS! I can smell the thorns.

HOT scent, I mean it smells sexy HOT but also HOT like a hot room or a HOT day. It wears close on me, I have to get a few inches from it to gather it to me,private but very clear when you get near it.

Comparison, Wanton is sweet and a tiny bit dryand cool, this is a wet hot rose.

LOVELY!! I think I found MY bpal scent!!!! This one is just dreamy to die for and I must have a big bottle NOW before the imp runs out!!

PS: I'm a Stella gal too and this tops it and I thought that was not gonna happen!!

Of cousre I'll end up trying then togther at some point :P

Edited by mmcfa2