Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

Harlot

Based on a Romany incense blend reputed to induce sexual dreams: Somalian rose, Moroccan rose and Bulgar rose with a sultry dribble of cinnamon.

i generally love rose scents..this one doesn't smell like the strong red rose smell i love. its more light and sweet and smells almost like fake rose air freshners...

this one will have to be passed up as it does give me a slight headache.

ETA: opened again to sniff, still giving me a headache and i was hoping it wouldn't. i still can't smell any cinnamon when the imp is opened. that's sad. Edited by djsiberia

Harlot

For all the roses in this one, I'd thought for sure I'd be running for the hills searching for a soap powerful enough to get it off. I have to say, I may be a convert. Maybe not fully, and maybe it's because my beloved Cinnamon is in there to tone the roses down (I amp cinnamon to the nth degree.)

Harlot will need a second run.

In the imp, this is spicy roses in the vein of Lucy's Kiss - the pretty, clean, vaguely soapy rose with the hint of spices underneath.

On my skin, this is a very faint spicy rose. This is so pretty, I just wish it were stronger. I don't get a "harlot" vibe from this at all, just a sweet, clean rose and some equally-clean spice. So simple, but so very pretty.

I actually adore this, and the only issue I have with it is that it's so faint, but then - I like it for that, too. It's not overpowering, it's sort of subdued and quietly beautiful. This is something I would put on after a nice long shower or bath before bed, to smell slightly sweet and slightly spicy, but not overpowering.

So many bottles I want, so little time. And by time, I mean money. :P Definitely a keeper, this one.

I received this as a frimp and.... yuck!

I can't stand heavy rose scents and all I could think was that it smelled like a cheap rose perfume a prostitute might wear.

I'm definitely not a 'floral' person.

This is all roses all the time on me. At one point I got a tiny hint of the cinnamon, but then it was back to roses. I only really like rose scents if they are a little bit dark and corrupted, and I was hoping the cinnamon would do that here, but there's not enough of it for me.

in the imp: cinnamon. the yankee candle type.

wet on skin: cinnamon and a hint of rose.

dry down: the cinnamon holds it's own, but it'a not overpowering in the blend. i'm getting rose, but this isn't the strong rose of Seraglio or Hope. the two are blended pretty seamlessly.

in all: this has sexy potential and while it's not my thing, i can see lots of folks wearing this out to the clubs for sure. it's got 'come hither' appeal.

:P

I didn't find Harlot particularly evocative of the name, which is practically unheard of from the Lab. It's a pretty light rose with a rather gorgeous cinnamon afterburn that reminds me more of a vague flirtation with a stranger than a willing or wanton woman. It's not strong, it's not serious, and, while I liked it, I have other rose blends I like better (though the cinnamon is really good). It smells nice on me, and I might experiment with layering to find something similar but stronger.

A lovely scent, but much fainter than I would have liked. I slathered it on quite heavily, and it was still nearly gone within a half hour. Throw was moderate and inoffensive. This is a scent I wouldn't mind wearing if I were likely to be able to apply it over and over again throughout the day.

This isn't my impression of what a harlot would smell like at all. It is a soft, pretty, rose scent. It's very light on me. I can smell a powdery note. A nice scent but should smell stronger to match such a strong name.

Ah. Rose.

Wet on, this is a bloom of fresh rose--with quite a lot of cinnamon. Not quite...painted lady of the night, somehow more of a pretty young girl from a good family dressed up as a painted lady of the night (for Halloween or experimentation, I don't know).

Then...it dries and I get the potpourri effect. The cinnamon makes it a very interesting rose potpourri--spice!--but it's still disappointing (and frustrating). Now that I have my hands on a scent locket--I will have to give it another go.

Exactly as expected - flowery with a dusting of cinnamom.

Smells like a twee teahouse, with lace doilies on all the backs of all the chairs, dried roses in little glass vases on dainty tables with crisp pink tablecloths, and a wall display of fussy teapots and cups for purchase. Turned quickly to an overpriced gift store with scented candles. Quick fade, thank goodness. Trade bag.

goes on nice and strong, but I'm not so sure I like it.... kind of a dark floral. I guess I forgot I'm not a floral person, sigh. As it fades I get more of the rose, as if it were just being dropped into a vase of water, which is nice... for someone else I'm sure this would be great, butit's just not for me.

Harlot starts out as pure red hots, with the rose only coming forward after a few minutes have passed. Even then it's faint. I do like this blend but the cinnamon's irritating to me so it'll be a room scent.

Wow, this is really lovely!

I like that the cinammon doesn't dominate; it's lots and lots of rose with a *hint* of cinammon.

It's a winner!

In the imp: I agree with what the majority of you have said - I, too, smell wet roses!

Wet: Rosey roses!

Dry: Still rosey!!!

I like roses, and I like BPAL scents containing rosey notes, so I like this scent. This a darker, deeper floral. However, I was really craving cinnamon, and it alluded me yet again!!! I may swap this one...

In the imp: Wet, but gentle roses

Wet: the rose strengthens, but not too much. It's still quite lovely, and a hint of something more complex is coming through. I'm thinking this must be the cinnamon, and i like it so far!

Dry: A eally lovely and grounded rose, akin to Zombi. I love Zombi, and Harlot is like her sexy sister. I like both these sisters, and it doesn't hurt that it's based on a gypsy recipe, seeing as I'm part gypsy!

On my skin all this gives me is tea rose, not luscious but quite sedate almost aunt-ish. I cant smell the cinnamon specifically but it does have a certain spiciness to it.

Its very pretty but not the sexy wet rose i was hoping for.

Edited by DancingUpAMoonbeam

Imp: Oh this is rose alrighty. I’m almost afraid to try it

Wet On Me: strong powder room rose.

Drying Down: really strong rose. Almost makes my

Eyes water. Not getting any cinnamon yet.

Dry: now the cinnamon comes out and it becomes cinnamon

Covered powder room roses

This goes on the re-homing pile

ADDED March 5:

Imp: rose…..

Wet on Me: More rose but that faint hint of cinnamon

Drying Down: The cinnamon and the amped rose are not playing

nicely on my skin. And I’m not sure how to make them go to their separate corners.

Dry: My body seems to make rose go all canned air freshener on

me. I smell live roses and they are lovely, but put rose on me and

whammo…no likey Coldie. To be re-homed

When I first opened this one and smelled it, I smelled absolutely nothing but strong rose, and was dissapointed. Smelling it again though, I suddenly got nothing but cinnamon! And the third time, I smelled both together. It was crazy! I ran around the house having everyone smell it, haha.

First putting it on my skin, the cinnamon REALLY jumped out, and the rose was in the background, which I absolutely loved. But as it dried, the cinnamon really died down a lot, and was sort of overpowered by the rose.

I still really liked it, but maybe I'll try to figure out some way to use it that keeps that cinnamon-y smell.

Wow, this is very rosy and has a sweet cinnamony base. Almost a "red hots" candy tinge to it. For awhile, I got musk, when wet, but not anymore. Very nice, I want to eat my wrists off. I'll definitely keep the frimp!

I really shouldn't be able to wear this. I hate flowers in a bottle. And yet, after the initial overwhelmingly soapy-floral drydown, this is very nice. The cinnamon comes right out and tones all the roses down and makes this a fairly pretty blend. I'm not sure how long it's going to b worth it for me to suffer through the drydown, though.

Harlot starts out very soapy before developing its cinnamon and incense notes. The interplay between the rose, incense, and cinnamon is interesting. Wearable, but not a favorite.