Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hackess

Mother Shub's Pfancy Pfefferneusse

Fit for the finest oblation -- and your holiday table, too! Sugar-sprinkled pepper nuts with a bit of cinnamon, a bit of clove, a little cardamom, and a hint of nutmeg.

I thought for sure this would be a giant fail on me due to the pepper nuts, but this is actually far nicer than I expected! The spice is quite wonderful since it's not straight up cinnamon (which I happen to love, but anyways), but more of a cardamom/nutmeg spice with the cinnamon and clove behind it. There is just enough sweetness to it to balance out all the spices and it helps to make it more wearable.
I am really surprised by how much I like it. It doesn't have much throw, which is fine since I normally wear scents like this for myself at home.

I think I might have to snag a bottle. :)

It smells nutty and sweet. I'm picking up a lot of ginger as well. Yummy gingery light crispy cookies.

On the far dry down the nutty note went away and there was just a soft sugary cookie smell, this is my favorite stage.

This is nice, not bottle nice, but I'll use up the rest of the imp.

At first it smells like pastries, but then it smells like cookies. Cookies with some spices on. The spices are not too strong at all, they're very enjoyable (and I'm a gal who doesn't like spicy scents).

Argh, I have so many foodie scents! Do I need another one? Hem. Haw. Wibble.

This one smells really good, but my other ones smell really good too. On my skin, this one smells close to something I already have, but for some reason the name of it isn't coming to mind. I guess I don't need another one that smells so similar to something I already have.

This is the surprise hit of the Yules for me. And the only one, besides more precious Snow White, that I'll be getting bottles of. I don't get any ginger, I get creamy nutmeg, cardamom and just a hint of the nuts. I absolutely love it and after a couple of hours it morphs into this fantastic creamy nom-ness that I adore. And to think I almost did get this one. FOR SHAME!

In the bottle: Foody baked goods

On me: Creamy, buttery, possibly nutty, not overly spicy, and am I getting something slightly musky? It's a butteryness that reminds of the pumpkin patch, though here with a tinge of maybe lemon zest.

Ultimately, it's a nut scent on me, and I'm not quite a foody-lover enough to pull it off.

Why I keep trying the foody scents is the mystery of the century. I never seem to like them ON. MSPP is no different.

In the imp: Cinnamon and butter

On me: modeling clay- the cheap kind... that stinks.

Can you say yuck? I knew that you could.

Edited by voodoocatwoman

In imp: sweet, spicy ... and dry. Not freshly baked pfefferneusse, but old, stale crumbs from the bottom of a shop-bought packet imported from Germany.

Wet on skin: sweet, spicy and cakey, but still dry. I can almost smell the sugary frosting on top!

Dry on skin: dry, sweet, powdery and spicy. Dark but foody. Not only is it very nice, but the spices are not burning my skin - yay!

Second day slathering: argh! Nasty spices making me itch! Admittedly I just took a shower, then slathered it on, but still ... It smells good, though! And it's less foody this time. I wonder if there's some musk lurking in here? If a man was wearing this I'd want to eat him up!

Oh! Perfection. It doesn't necessarily smell only of pfeffernuesse, it sort of smells like a collection of all the sweets of the season I've ever eaten. A bit creamy, a bit spicy, here's a bit of ginger, a littlebit of nut, a littlebit of rum extract, and plenty of sugar - outstanding! I already worked through a partial bottle I bought on the forums and am only happy a friend of mine is sending me a full one as a late Christmas gift.

On me it doesn't necessarily work, I'm not a person who can carry off food scents in any way, shape or form, but it's brilliant in the oil burner. My room smells like heaven.

Sugar and chocolate first. Cinnamon chocolate, and then cinnamon. But it's not overly sharp, it's the smell of a kitchen after baking. The cookies must be very spicy and tasty!

very foodie almost cordial almond cookie dough. Thought it was a bit of egg nog to start but now I smell a dough or batter. Thought I'd love it more. Decent, not OMGLUV.

Huzzah! :joy: This is fantastically peppery with cardamom and nutmeg - no cinnamon or clove overload like I usually get! This is the perfect spice blend to my nose. Foody, but not *too* foody if you know what I mean. Warm and comforting like things baking in the oven while you putter around the kitchen on a gray winter afternoon. Please don't change, little imp!

No cookie, just a bit of spices and it's sour. Did I get a dud or doesn't my skin approve of this scent? It's just nasty on me.

Good - this is the first decnt I've tried in ages!

Bad - The imp has leaked in transit and only a little bit is left. *weeps* And this was the one I really wanted to try!

On with the testing.

In the vial - Deliciously buttery, with dry spices wafting around the edges.

Wet on the skin - This is wonderful. It's very similar to the scent in the bottle - buttery at first, with grounding of peppery and clovey spices that serve to make the scent a good deal more dry.

Next stages - I can almost smell something floral at the very edges of this scent, but I think that may just be the sugar. Speaking of which, there's something distinctly dark about this scent; it's not all sugar and spice.

Dry down - Half an hour later, there's a very odd plasticy tinge to the scent, but not enough to stop me loving it. In another half hour the plastic note has mellowed to Play-doh. Fortunately I like Play-doh.

In summary - Spicy, deep and resonant. A definite bottle purchase.

Mother Shub has been good to me, and this is the last of her Yule trio that I'm trying. I have high expectations.

In the decant: I smell vanilla-y sugar cookies.

On wet: The vanilla sugariness remains, and the spice notes come out to play. Cinnamon and ginger are definitely noticeable. Is there also... aniseed? There's a sharp note that suggests that to me - I guess it could also be the titular pepper. (Recipes I'm looking at include both pepper AND anise oil). Overall, still definitely smells like cookies.

Drydown: Most of the notes remain intact after drying on my skin. The overall impression is still delicious, delicious cookies.

Verdict: I'm quite fond of this one. It reminds me a little bit of Mr. Nancy, but less smoky. I may consider picking up a bottle.

This one is very.... baked goods/powdered sugar on my skin. I feel like I would love to eat something like this, but it doesn't really fit in right on my skin.

This is everything I hoped it would be. I don't often wear foody scents as perfume, but I love spice blends, and ever since moving to NYC, I'm infatuated with the scent of the sugared nut carts. That's one street smell that I don't mind being so ubiquitous.

And Pfancy Pfefferneusse smells essentially just like the nut vendor carts. At its core, it's a soft, warm, sugar-cookie like scent, but it has powerful spices heaped all over it. The spices are dry enough and fiery enough that although the scent is always sweet and cookie-like, it has a good sense of balance. I can definitely smell the pepper, and I swear I can smell a hint of fennel.

The spice blend is not cinnamon heavy, nor does it just smell like gingerbread. It's unique and it has bite. Pepper and nutmeg are heavy. I don't know if it has any ginger. Cardamom is often fairly bright and green for me, but it doesn't call attention to itself here. Everything blends nicely.

As for the nuts, it feels like blanched almonds. I don't smell hazelnut or peanut -- it's just very smooth and round. It doesn't smell like the lab's usual almond note, it smells like a can of whole almonds.

This scent also lasts a good, long time. Hours later, even when I felt like it had faded, I was aware of a faint cloud of sugar cookies around me. It's pretty great.

In the imp: I almost want to say peppermint! But it is actually pepper, and something sweet... very spicy and hot.

Wet: Hot pepper. This smells almost like chillied peanuts.

Dry: Nuts and spices. Hot... with cinnamon and nutmeg. Yummm.

A while later: Spices. Something warm and hot - cinnamon and nutmeg. And heat from pepper. A very faint trace of nuts. DIVINE. I am LOVING this one.

Omnomnomnom. If you are a fan of Beth's holiday foody blends (Gingerbread Poppet, Sugar Cookie, etc), then you HAVE to at least get a sniffie of this. It's an amazing mix of traditional and unique-from far away it's mostly soft cinnamon sugar cookies and then up close it's rich clove and cardamom, and you can really smell the pepper nuts. There's also almost like...a fizzy cola-y note. It's hard to describe, but I just love it.

The throw on this is not as strong as some of the other foody holiday blends I mentioned above and it also tends to fade a bit faster than other bpals. I probably wouldn't wear this one out, but I absolutely love it on a cold yucky day :yum:

I don't get a nutty vibe from this...it mostly smells like spicy baked goods, like cookies or bread. Unfortunately, the sugary side of it is what causes it to smell off to me...there's just a barest hint of toasted plastic to it. And that's a shame, given its subtle throw and very hardy staying power. Ah well.

Light yellow oil. Sweet, nutty, spicy, foody - definitely cookies! - basically, exactly as the notes say. Exactly. The buttery and nutty aspects are pretty cloying, as expected. The spices are really well balanced, and I even get some salt and baking soda - very realistic and fairly yummy!

Perhaps a bit less buttery, but still super sweet, very sugary, very foody. Something here is a bit plastic and sharp - I think it's the type of clove note, the one that amps on me horrible. The nutmeg's the next strongest, then cardamom (reminds me of Lamia), and amazingly the cinnamon is lightest. Still very well balanced with all notes present and none dominating or faint. I feel like I get a sort of mysterious fruity note now, too.

It's going a little bit musty/powdery in that way that many baked goods do on me. Also, the tonka in here is amping quite a bit, so this more buttery again and intensely, cloyingly, nauseatingly sweet, especially with the powdered sugar note. The hint of nuttiness is also revolting, although that is less apparent on my skin than sniffied. Cardamom has amped quite a bit, to be on par with the clove, and is lovely but too spicy-hot as usual. Cinnamon remains very light, while the nutmeg has amped slightly too. Spicier and warmer overall as a scent - actually this scent is stronger in all ways.

This has gone totally to that odd baked goods musty powder and is also quite PLASTIC, reinforced by the sharp clove amping further and dominating along with the former note. I think also maybe the vanilla in here is the sort that turns to plastic on my skin? Still buttery and spicy and nutty, but really it's the plastic, mustiness, and clove that rule here, even eating up the formerly insane sweetness. My skin absolutely fucked this one! Good throw and serious longevity.

:ack:

Mmm. This is a spiced, peppery cookie. Definitely a cookie, since I'm getting a dry, floury vibe. This oil lasts a long time on my skin, as well. If you're a fan of the GC Shub and foody, spicy blends, run, do not walk to get your hands on this one.

In the imp - Woaaaa. Foodie lovers dream. It's a big ole gingerbread cookie with slatherings of wet white icing.

Wet - Oh sweet sweet nutmet and clove! There you are :) It's like splitting this gigantic cookie in half and inhaling the still warm ingredients. I just want to latch onto my wrist and not let go. Can someone bring me a giant gingerbread cookie?!

Dry - A little ginger oomph! My skin really seems to amp these notes in the most delightful way possible. A little sting in my nose, but it's pleasant. It's sheer spicy wonderfulness :)

Verdict - I'm off to find a bottle! I absolutly adore this.