Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hackess

Mother Shub's Pfancy Pfefferneusse

Fit for the finest oblation -- and your holiday table, too! Sugar-sprinkled pepper nuts with a bit of cinnamon, a bit of clove, a little cardamom, and a hint of nutmeg.

For some reason, Mother Shub's treats don't seem to be working for me. On, this doesn't smell at all like pfefferneusse or any other kind of cookie. It smells like tea, the kind I make when I'm not feeling well, full of honey and lemon. And a plasticky doll. In fact, it smells like a kid with a cold drinking tea and snuggling their dolly. Weird.

In bottle/imp: Black pepper cookies with a hint of lemon?

Immediately on skin: This smells like a base of sugar cookies with a good dose of black pepper added. It’s slightly sweet underneath, but the top of the scent is all peppery and spicy.

After a little while: This turns into something rather, well, “meh” on me. It smells like pepper and salted nuts. Slightly toasty and peppery, but not really overly sweet.

Overall Impressions: In the decant this smelled like peppered sugar cookies, but it turned into pepper and toasted nuts. It’s interesting, but not really fabulous on me. It has a neat toasted scent to it, however.

In the last month or so I've gone off my usual foody scents so that's probably clouding my judgment here.

The first hit is very rich and buttery - then spices are in the background, but it's all butter and sugar. Thankfully, the butter note calms down and recedes to the background and the subtle spices come out more. Just like with real Pfeffernüssen there's lots of nutmeg and black pepper (though not sharp, just aromatic), with some cinnamon. At the dry-down there's a rich, strange note in the background. To me, it smells like mix-peel and dried dill (often found here in Mixed Spice), the BF says it reminds him of jasmine.

It's a calm and complex scent and very comforting, but that sharp dill note is acting up a bit.

I bought a bottle of this unsniffed because it seemed like the most interesting of the Yule foody scents.

Unfortunately I think there is something off about Mother Shub's cooking. This turned very sweet and cloying on me. I can smell the spices, but it is just too much for me.

yuuuuum

Spicy cookies. I've got them.

First sniff from the vial it seemed like spices and ginger, quite a lot of ginger.

On my skin the spices balance out with the ginger and the cookie notes and it becomes warm spicy goodness. I'm curious to do a side by side comparison with Shub-Niggurath.

I get a hint of mint, and something burnt..under a spicy, flakey (how does she make something smell flakey?!) cookie. I smell a little clove, some brown sugar..it's nice! It'll be good for the holidays, but it isn't as amazing as I'd hoped.

I'm undecided on this one. I think that the spices in this blend translate to anise on my skin and ever so often I'm get a whiff of black licorice which is not anything I would choose to smell like.

Other times though, I get a creamy, flour-y sweet scent, like cookie dough before it's been baked.

Oh wow. On me, this does what it says on the tin, pretty much: smells like pfefferneuse! I get the standard baking spices, plus some pepper and a bit of anise, with the powdered sugar coating. It's definitely in the same family as the GC Shub -- they're both spicy and reminiscent of baked goods but with a sort of dryness to them, which is to say, not too sweet.

This has some pretty good strength and throw, for me. In fact, once it's fully dry on my skin it's right on the edge of being overwhelming. Still, there's something to be said for a little going a long way, no? :)

(I'm fascinated to see the wide variety of impressions thus far in this thread!)

Not sure why I keep trying the bakery foodies, they really are not me, though I get the most compliments when I happen to wear them out, so go figure. I get a sweet, spicy, nutty pastry, that dries pretty much to a Beaver'versary lite/Cake Smash. The nuttiness is pretty fake and cloying at first, but dries to a very realistic pastry scent. Off to swaps, another foodie, again.

Pfancy Pfefferneusse doesn't smell complex or spicy on me at all, but that's okay. It smells just like sweet, flakey, golden little shortbread cookies. It's so warm and comforting <3. It doesn't smell outright spicy, but I think that the spices are giving it a warm, cozy feel. It gives off a warm, yummy vanilla smell on me.

I definitely need a full bottle of this (or two bottles). :wub2:

Edited by Little Bird

So.. I officially have no idea what pfefferthingamibob is, nor am I familiar with the little cookies people have mentioned.. or are they one and the same? I dunno.. but this does smell like peppery nuts. I don't like peppery nuts. Nor spicy nuts. Actually I don't much care for nuts at all. Except cashews, I like cashews.

The nutmeg here is nice, and the cinnamon & clove are fairly subdued - this (to me) is more sweet than spicy, but it's a spicy kinda sweet. Unfortunately, after a short while on my skin there's some nasty slightly cat pee-like thing going on, and I need to wash this off.

This is another one I'm glad I have a decant of to try, but I won't be needing a bottle.

This is nice in the bottle: spicy and kind of dark, just like the little pfferneusse cookies... It's really quite lovely, kind of like gingerbread.

On me, however....

..that lovely gingerbread scent does not last nearly long enough. It's good for about 20 minutes, and then it turns to burnt plastic--you know, the kind of smell you really never want to smell in your car in particular, because it means something is burning that absolutely shouldn't be, like say, the clutch? or the brakes?

yeah, that smell.

I am not pleased, because it really is a tasty scent in the bottle.

:(

I wanted to love this, having German heritage.. but it makes my nose itch! It's spicy and sweet, but i have to put my nose close to my wrist to be able to smell the goodness and then my nose twitches, lol.

Worth a try if your into foody scents.. Fun and definitely great for this time of year, but i'll stick to my decant. ^^

The pepper here is really strong in the imp but on my skin it's just spicy cookie goodness. Not overly sweet like some foodie scents are. The only problem is that the longer this dries the more it's starting to smell like cardboard on me. Rats!

I've never had the cookies, so I wasn't really sure what to expect with this one. I definitely get a strong bakery scent with a hint of spice (mostly cinnamon). I generally like my bakery/foody scent more sweet, so sadly this doesn't do anything for me. :(

Lemon pepper sugar cookies with some nuts and dry, baking spices. Clove, cardamom stand out more than the cinnamon & nutmeg. It is foody, but it is a dry spicy foody. There is really no sweetness involved at all. It's good, but I think I prefer Toothsome blanketstaff more

than pfefferneusse.

Edited by Schmoozy

MOTHER SHUB'S PFANCY PFEFFERNEUSSE:

Yule Limited Edition 2009

In Bottle: Nuts and dirt

On Skin: Ok, for some reason my nose is not liking the pepper nuts in this one, it takes on a very dusty note. The spices are there, but much more in the background, the only one that stands out on it's own is the nutmeg. When I inhale deeply I feel like sneezing... very dry and dusty. I can sense a sort of cookie note in there, but for the most part it is dry dusty spices and I don't get any sweetness at all. This scent doesn't do it for me sadly. The throw is very strong and the wearlength is long.

I'm not much of a foodie, but these are some of my favorite cookies, and I love spice, so I thought "why not?".

So glad I took the chance. This scent is wonderous. Out of the bottle, I get strong spices...nutmeg, maybe some cinnamon and cardemom...then a wonderful sweetness-not sugar-sneakes in when your body heat starts working...I think it might be a deep, dark molasses, but to me, nothing like white or powdered sugar. A tiny whiff if vanilla also wanders in and out.

In all...I love this. It's much too serious and dark to be a happy bakery scent, and the spices are to die for. Almost like a witch's recipie for cookies to lure and drug stray little children... :yum: I would expect this to be a scent that ages well.

bottle: pepper, clove and cinnamon. spicy yum.

wet: this is going a bit strange on my skin, half plasticy, half pencil shavings...

dry: this dries and tames a bit. it's still a bit plasticy but there is another scent of dry, dusty spices. darn.

Mmmmmm....

This starts off really buttery and spicy with a leetle bit of citrus. Weirdly, it reminds me a lot of my bottle of 2007 Pumpkin V, only without the pumpkin, if that makes any sense at all.

Okay - I've got it. It's like shortbread cookies with cinnamon and nutmeg and peppercorns mixed in. That same really rich buttery smell, only peppery instead of sweet.

I've decided that I like *spicy* foody scents, and this one is looking like a potential bottle purchase. Must test the rest of my decants first though.

Lovely fresh-baked cookies with a smooth blend of all the spices listed--tickles my nose a bit, in a good way! :yum:

In the bottle -- Reminds me of Gingerbread Poppet but richer and more complex. Sweet, spicy, foody--yum!

Wet -- Still smells like sweet spicy cookies but adds a plastic/chemical smell that's unpleasant.

Dry -- Not sweet, not foody! Very unpleasant burnt chemical smell. Darn my skin on this one!! :cry2: :smite:

I may keep this bottle just for the label though--I adore it!

Imp: It smells like the spice aisle at Whole Foods where they keep everything in big jars and people spill on the wooden shelves. Very dry and dusty with a hint of sugar.

Wet: Um, this opens up really fast and smells like a cookie. A spicy cookie. Maybe not the pfefferneusse I'm used to eating, but a delicious spicy cookie. And the sugar reminds me of the sugar from Marshmallow Poof.

Dry: Snuggly sweet cookies. This would be amazing as a room scent.

In the vial: Sweet, sharp, almost cloying spice.

Wet: This goes dry and dusty immediately-- no sweetness, nothing like cookies or pastry, just a cloud of baking spices and pepper. It's overwhelming and almost sickeningly strong, definitely not wearable.

Dry: Eventually the sharp dry pepper note calms down, a little sweetness comes out, and it does smell more like cookies, albeit still dry and spicy ones. But now there's an odd, plasticky undertone to the scent, a note I've smelled before that reminds me of baby wipes-- I always thought it was something floral, but it may be a particular spice, because I'm definitely getting it here.

I think this particular treat of Mother Shub's just doesn't get along with my chemistry, alas.