Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hackess

Mother Shub's Pfancy Pfefferneusse

MOTHER SHUB'S PFANCY PFEFFERNEUSSE
Fit for the finest oblation -- and your holiday table, too! Sugar-sprinkled pepper nuts with a bit of cinnamon, a bit of clove, a little cardamom, and a hint of nutmeg.

I want to eat my hand. It smells *exactly* like the little cookies. Somehow Beth even got the waft of powdered sugar that tickles your nose. After a few minutes, the powdered sugar gives way to the spices and OM NOM NOM NOM.

It's a pretty light scent, but I only put a dab on the back of my hand. No throw to speak of, but again, I barely applied so I could test it without irritating my coworkers.

To me, this smells like Shub Niggurath with buttery pastry. It's lighter and has more of a bakery feeling than Shub, though. Very warm and spicy, and comforting despite the "evil." The label art is awesome as well.

This was a huge morpher on me.

In the bottle, it smells of a rich, sweet and spicy pastry. On my skin it turns almost immediately into spicy coconut cake, and it stays for around 10min. Then it slowly started turning all CLOVE on me. I dislike clove immensely and I'm starting to learn that I unfortunately amp it!

In conclusion- very sad, but it's not for me... :(

PFEFFERNEUSSE!

I have been waiting for this scent all my BPAL life :)

It smells like the cookies without being cloying, overly sweet or heavily spicey.

The spices do come out more pronounced after a while but they are still being agreeable.

Edit for Lamentations- after about an hour this goes South on my skin chemistry. Am tempted to keep and use in my Clocket or as room scent. Hmmm

It's not the Cookie part, not the Spice part. I am going to guess there is perhaps a Nut oil in here that goes off on me.

Update- it was, in fact, THE CARDAMOM.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

I thought I would love this one. In the bottle it smells like glaze on a spice cake. But on me it has a bit more of a stale smell, if that makes sense. Like the cake had been left out for a couple days and maybe even got a little dusty. It's not unpleasant, just for me it's at least not as amazing as I thought it would be.

Edited by twinklebat

Smells like the best bakeshop in Germany around. :) Very cookie (of course), with hints of almond and pepper; the rest of the spice notes were even fainter. (I do like the cookies in RL, so may get a bottle of this for year-around sniffing.)

I was very pleased that this wasn't almond all the time, as I usually amp the dickens out of almond.

In bottle: The sugar in this is so rich it’s almost caramel. The pepper nuts are fascinating. The spice combination is one of my favorite, and I use it all the time in my cooking. I would love to eat this, honestly. Good thing I know better. This is profoundly foody, as you likely expect. Wet: The nuts really come out with warming and the spices are so rich and well blended. The sugar keeps things sweet, but is more pure sugar and less caramel now. I think the cardamom is strongest among the spices, but really, it’s the nuts that shine here. Dry: The sugar ends up whipped cream like, and is reminiscent of boo. It also ends up dominant, though the spice and nuts stay present, if subdued. I really do like the way the whipped cream compliments the nuts. I’m really tempted to make a nut joke here, so I hope y’all appreciate my restraint.

imp: scorched butterscotch.

wet: less scorch more cookie

dry: cookie gone and now scorched butterscotch candle

:( FAIL

This is just hideous waxy plasticy yuck. And it will not come off.

:cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

at first i loved this scent, it was all caramel and cookie kind of goodness. Unfortunately it morphed. morphed into burned smelling cookie and really strong peppery something. would be great in a locket for me but i think it's a swapper.

Sniffing the bottle: Caramel Popcorn! Weird.

Dried down, this is cookies. Spicy cookies. Not very hot spice, but there's nutmeg in there, some cloves. You know, I think I'll pass this on. I'm not a big pure-foodie fan.

Later: Accidently layered with Black Annis this was much more interesting. But I don't see any reason to keep something just to layer it.

Much, Much later: You know, eventually the cookies disappear for me and I get a lovely vanilla and spice. Still, I don't know if this is worth more than a decant for a non-foodie fan.

Edited by patina

Wet, this smells like spicy cookie(which is love): spices, sugar, with a bit of nuts thrown in.

By the time it dried, however, I got this really interesting slightly sweet, slightly spicy powdered sugar smell (like ACTUAL, nose tickle powdered sugar, although my less scent-sensitive coworker said that I smelled like vanilla, which is still a win in my book!). It's stuck on my scarf and gloves, and I keep getting lovely little wafts of it two days later. Now I'm totally craving it AND the real thing.

Definitely glad I took a chance and ordered the bottle unsniffed!

It's a lovely, very very sweet, spicy cookie. But there is an ample amount of vanilla in it, and my skin hates BPAL vanilla. So after a pleasant five minutes, the creeping plastic ick smell bloomed and made me cry.

Sadness.

Straight out of the mail: I have never tried pfefferneusse, and in fact have not even looked it up on wikipedia yet, but when wet this is an absolute dead ringer for kolaches as made by my local bakery. It's got a very specific doughy richness about it that smells exactly like a pastry that's been made with sour cream as well as butter, and it really is doughy, I was hoping for more spice but this smells like actual hot pastries dusted in powdered sugar- not picking out much nut, but there may be a smidge of almond in here making it richer. As it dries long-term the sharper spices, cinnamon and foody clove, get louder. The kolachke base is still there, though.

I would recommend this to people who liked Sugar Cookie, it has much of the same feel to it without smelling exactly the same. It reminds me a bit of a very domesticated saw-scaled viper as well. I'd place it a bit towards the sugar cookie side on a scale between the two.

As previous reviewers ave said...this is a sweet spice cookie...with enough clove to keep it interestting. Light throw but reall yummy...a fun holiday scent...glad I got a bottle.

Mother Shub's Pfancy Pfefferneusse - I'm not a foodie, so I didn't have high hopes for this one. It smell like buttery plastic and quickly turns to the scent of spicy, burnt plastic with a buttery undertone. Definitely not for me.

In the imp this smells like almond extract and nutmeg. Nice, but a little strong.

On me it smells a little less like extract and a little more like cookies or cake. Not overly foody to me, but I like foody.

Dry I get almond cookie and nutmeg and pepper. Perhaps there is a little cardamon in there but it is faint.

I like this one, but not enough to get a bottle. Def. pick up a partial if it comes my way though. ;)

Peppery spicy soap. I have no idea where the soap is coming from. Most foody scents work just fine for me, so this is extremely odd. However, I'll let the bottle sit a while and try again some other time.

Second try, and though it is different(slightly) from the first, it still isn't love. I still have no idea what is causing the scent to go wrong on me. Sniffed closely it is harsher than it should be. I Like bitter dark blends, but, this just comes across as harsh when it shouldn't be. However...several hours later I am getting a whiff of something sweet and almost barely floral? Somewhere near my hands where I applied this? But, when I sniff the backs of my hands it's still harsh like rough wood soaked in sugar water. There's no wood notes listed, there's no floral notes listed...what the heck does my skin think it's doing? Gah!

Edited by Aerinha

Note: i have never eaten Pfefferneuse, so I don't have any preconceptions for this one.

It smells nutty and sweet. Like cookies with...almonds? The nuttiness is strong on me for most of the drydown. I can smell the spices-cinnamon, nutmeg-they're all nicely balanced and no one dominates.

Later the nutty note kind of went away and I was left with a soft sugary cookie smell. I want to eat my hand.

This is an absolutely gorgeous scent. It's hard for me to pick out all of the notes individually, so I'll just say that it smells like the most decadent dessert in the world. It's full of all kinds of honey and brown sugar and delicious cream. It's warm and delicious and heavy and absolutely amazing. To be used for special occasions definitely--just like you can't have cake every day, this would be way too rich for everyday consumption. :)

This was very sweet in the vial, so I was surprised when I put it on and was punched in the nose by the spices amping on my skin.

The foody/bakery aspect here is kind of light when compared to other Yule goodies (Sugar Cookie, Gingerbread Poppet), and the spices remain very prominent on my skin. It reminds me of Gingerbread Poppet, but I have to say that I ultimately prefer GP for its richer bread scent and lighter spices -- there's definitely a spice in PP that's got a bit of a kick! For those of you who found GP a bit too foody for your taste, however, PP is definitely something you might want to consider.

in the decant - nuts, nutmeg, butter, sugar, cinnamon. It's a little too sweet. I'm not so sure about this.

wet - pastry, with nuts, lots of cinnamon and nutmeg. Still kinda eh on this. The nuts i'm not so sure about.

dry - now it's cookies. with nuts, and sugar, and nutmeg and a hint of cardamom. The nuts didnt do that wierd morph thing on me they sometimes do, which made me happy (they can go all burnt), and it's no longer too sweet, although it's about as sweet as i like anything.

Rating 6/10

I may just not be in the mood for this tonight though, it's worth retesting and I might like it better later.

Edited by Prism

Again, I went into BPAL thinking as a manly man man, I would totally butch up on the dark, sleek, black musks, powerful, potent woods, fiery spices, and cool, ozone aquatics. Needless to say, I do like them, but I ended up finding out my favorite scents are apparently violets, marshmallows, and now, cake and cookies.

MANLY! SO MANLY, LIKE TY PENNINGTON! (oh, wait).

... I digress.

Pfefferneusse is ultimate win on me, because I love spices. The scent also really smells like dry, powdered sugar, and at least for the first 15 minutes continues to smell like that dry, powdery sugar. No burnt or crystalline, or brown sugar here, it's all powder and dust and sweet and fluffy. Over time, it starts to go more cakey and on my skin turns into that sorta dry, crispy cookie smell. Absolutely wonderful, and I need to find spare change, or kick out bottles from my to-buy list, because this is the year of the Pfefferneusse.

Well... I guess I can pretend I'm a ferocious masculine man, but inside, I smell like spice cookies...

Dry, powdered sugar and gingerbread. Much more subdued than Gingerbread Poppet, but still too sweet for my tastes.

I so desperately, desperately wanted to love this scent- pfeffernusse are my hands-down favourite baked good. When I opened the bottle though, I got a huge whiff of something headache-inducing and vaguely nauseating- a sweet kind of smell, but not in a good way. It does indeed smell like baking, but it's certainly not the spicy scent of the pfeffernusse I'm used to.

Determined, I dabbed the tiniest bit on my wrist. It still smelled like nauseating cookies (which I think is the weirdest description I've ever given something).

As this dried, though, I started getting beautiful wafts of clove and cinnamon- the nauseating cookies were gone! Or so I thought. It alternates between absolutely gorgeous spices and headachy sweetness, and I can't decide whether those gorgeous hints of spice are worth toughing out the bad bits. I think this is also a very wintery blend- it's the start of summer here and the heat is really not helping with the headachy smell.

If the sweetness could tone itself down a little bit I'd have this beautiful spicy-sweet blend that would be beautiful, even if not smelling exactly like pfeffernusse. I may let it age a little and see how it changes.