Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hackess

Mother Shub's Spiced Lait de Chèvre

Nothing warms the cockles like a mug of Mother Shub's egg nog! Goat's milk egg nog with coffee liqueur and spices imported from the Crimson Desert!

first impression: pink sweet cream with a touch of spice. Spice goes away. K says it smells like Christmas, which must make it a pretty true eggnog. After a time, this is all toasted vanilla marshmallow. no spice, no goat.

This is the 2012 version.

First impression: OMG how did Beth get that eggnog into that bottle? It smells like boozy eggnog, thick and sweet and boozy and slightly spiced.

On me: It starts out as that same boozy eggnog, only more booze and less eggnog. As it dries down, though, everything recedes except a peculiar sweet note that I can best describe as "pink." It's chemical/candy-like and is slightly reminiscent of cough syrup and of cherries (though not cherry cough syrup), but not quite either.

And all of a sudden, the pink note drops out completely and I have slightly spiced, sugary cookie or cake or something: it mostly smells like sweet, slightly spiced sugar cookie, but the rich egg nog makes it a little too "eggy" to be a cookie, with just a hint of very dark rum at the back.

I am hoping my husband will like this one, because he likes sweet, foody scents on me, and I want them to have interesting and complicated things going on. We'll see.

All in all, I think this is a keeper, although the heavy foodiness of it screams "Yule" and "winter" at me, so I don't think it's the kind of thing I could wear year round.

2012 version

Egg nog, egg, cherry pink candy. And something that I think smells almost floral --- which I think is pink carnation. It's got a spice/floral edge to it and it smells like carnations, but not like the Spanish Red Carnation SN.

Eggy, floral, spicy.

If you like carnations, give this a whirl. It took me a moment to recognize this note, but I have to say that this smells sweet and makes the carnation note more wearable.

Edited by zankoku_zen

2012 version. This one seems more boozy to me, and I may be getting a touch of that coffee that I didn't get in the previous incarnation. Otherwise this is a lovely sweet, creamy vanilla with booze booze and more booze. I have a couple of decants of the previous version, and like it better, but this is still nice, just a bit too alcoholic.

2012 version. this is so sweet and rich. it turns super thick, eggy french vanilla on the drydown for me, which is awesome. i also get the touch of coffee mentioned above when wet, but it disappears on the drydown. medium throw, and medium staying power. a generally awesome holiday choice for me. deliciously foody without being cake-y. :yum:

In the bottle: delicious coffee like egg nog...oh yes!! :yum:

Wet: this is a delicious egg nog latte scent (better then the actual Eggnog Latte scent BPAL did). Now I just hope it will stick around because all the delicious egg nog scents I have tried from BPAL fade away so fast.

Drydown: Sadly this one did the same thing and faded away so fast. Like a half hour maybe. But it is delicious and creamy and I loved it while it lasted. YUMMY! :wub2: It's just a shame on that staying power. :(

Adorable label too!

2012 version:

I had to buy a bottle after I tried this at Seattle Will Call back in 2012. This has become one of my favorite foodie blends. In the bottle, it's boozy and spiced and just like eggnog with a touch of coffee. It's similar on my skin, but the coffee note is the first to fade once it begins to dry. Then it's a creamy eggnogy scent. Eventually the booziness fades and it's a rich, creamy, frosting-like vanilla that lasts hours and hours. :yum:

2009 version: Spiced milk, sweet and ultra-soothing. I like the way this smells, but it's extremely light and on drydown I have to put my face right up to the spot to smell anything. May be worth seeking out if you don't mind subtle blends. As for me, I'll keep my decant but don't need any more.

I'm not sure which version my decant is, but like bellumed, I get sweet, soothing, gentle spiced milk. Also, I put it on fresh out of a hot shower, and got no skin irritation from it despite the spice note.

In the decant, the tangy goat's milk note is the strongest, like opening a container of plain yogurt. Once on my skin, the spice comes forward more, and I get a gentle, creamy-milky warm sweet spice scent. One of my go-to winter hot drinks is hot milk with clove-cardamon sugar syrup in it, and Mother Shub's Spiced Lait de Chevre smells just like that spiced milk drink.

Sadly, it's pretty short lived. By an hour in, it had already started to fade, and now, about an hour and a half after application, it's nearly gone. Still, it's cozy and soothing enough that I'll definitely keep the decant for a bedtime scent.

I recently lucked into an almost full 2009 bottle.

As others have described better than I can, it's a gentle, warm, milky, sweet skin smell with subtle spice. It didn't seem to change much from bottle to wet to dry. I put it on before bed, since it seems soothing and calming.

I woke up 9 hours later and it is still there, smelling the same, only a bit more faint.

Not much throw at any point, but I'm fine with that.

2009 release.

In the bottle: Lightly spiced boozy goat’s milk egg nog with some soft coffee in the background.

Wet: This smells like creamy egg nog. It was boozier in the bottle than it is on me, although I do get some booze after a few minutes as well as the soft coffee liqueur.

Dry: It’s boozier now than it was before, and the spices have now come out to play, but they are soft and aren’t overpowering. I really enjoy how creamy this one is, but I wish I got a little less booze during this phase of the scent. The coffee liqueur is fainter than before, but I can still smell it in the background if I inhale deeply.

Sadly, this one is pretty soft and doesn’t have any throw. I wonder if slathering would help?

Verdict: This is a nice, creamy egg nog scent. I think I will hold on to the bottle and see how much I reach for it once the holiday season rolls around.

Boozy, a sweet VERY realistic egg nog note, and slightly spicy, but dissapears on my skin. A shame, this is delicious!