Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hackess

Mother Shub's Spiced Lait de Chèvre

Nothing warms the cockles like a mug of Mother Shub's egg nog! Goat's milk egg nog with coffee liqueur and spices imported from the Crimson Desert!

In imp: richer and creamier than the old Egg Nog, with the delicious pungency of Beth's goat milk note, and a tiny hint of coffee.

Wet on skin: aahhh - goat milk! Just like Nonae Caprotina, this has a pungent tang to it. I've never tasted real goat's milk, but I imagine it has a similar tang. This is a lot like Nonae Caprotina without the fig, but it's even more goaty! No coffee or spices.

Dry on skin: the throw is sweet and creamy, but close up my arm still smells kind of sour. The spices are emerging now, and just a hint of coffee. This is probably just what goat's milk egg nog smells like! Edited by Shollin

This is a nicer, darker coffee scent but it has virtually no throw on me, and my skin is eating it like crazy. Only a few minutes after applying I can hardly smell a thing. :huh?:

as lovely as it was, when I tested its loveliness it faded on me, so off it went-in the bottle extreme loveliness

on my wrists it disappeared!:(

That's a nice milky something. There is a light coffee note to it, but not disgusting. (I'm not a coffee fan.) A little spicy, lightly caramel. And I could drink it up!

A dear friend was kind enough to send me a tester/1/2 decant so I could decide what I thought of it.

In the bottle: A very nutmegy egg nog, creamy and yummy!

Wet: NUTMEG with a hint of cream and cinnamon

Dry: Cinnamon and some mace come out to join the nutmeg but the cream note is really staying in the background. Sadly this scent has no staying power on me, (vs. Bake Sale which I am still smelling despite it being nearly 36 hours +a shower since I put it on) it has nearly completely vanished within 2 hours and left just a sort of powdery nutmeg and cream base behind. Ah well.

egg nog, for those who the other egg nog/egg nog latte may not have worked?? there is a slight goat milk note to it and this one stays more like a true foodie scent that is egg nog and spices. nice but for me i like egg nog latte better. egg nog by itself always turned on my skin and had more of a boozy note...i rank this one above the original egg nog scents.

Lait de chevre = goat's milk, as I think everyone else has figured out. Humorous because Shub-Niggurath is "The Black Goat of the Woods With a Thousand Young." All these HPL parodies smell delicious, so I can't complain too much.

In the bottle: my husband and I both noted a similarity to Miskatonic University, which we purchased a backup bottle of at the same time. There's a certain candy fruitiness, too, that I notice.

On wet: The candy fruitiness that I noted before promptly goes away. Nutmeg and boozy notes predominate - the boozy notes are reminiscent of the Irish coffee in Miskatonic University, or the buttered rum in Hellcat (other favorites of mine). I would believe if someone told me there's cinnamon in here - I think I can faintly sense its bite at the back of my throat, although thankfully it's not burning my skin. I guess it could be ginger, too, as that's a primary note in Shub-Niggurath.

My husband amended his comment on the bottle, calling it "Misk U with spice" and biting my wrist. I guess that's a sign of approval!

Drydown: I can definitely see how this would be called an egg nog scent, even though the milk note isn't strongly noticeable. Milk notes can go sour on me, so I'm glad for that. It does get a certain creamy sweetness in the drydown, however.

Overall: this is a spicy gourmand scent, of the type I love - and more reminiscent of Yule than Mother Shub's Toothsome Banketstaaf, which I tried yesterday. I don't regret buying a bottle unsniffed, and I will definitely be hoarding this.

Edited by CaptainEcchi

Goat's milk? I am a little nervous. This might be awful on me. I'm really not sure.

In the imp: The oil is pale yellow. First sniff, and whoa! Eggs! Lots of eggs. Then comes the coffee and a bit of nutmeg. This actually does smell drinkable, if a bit... STRONG because of the goat's milk.

Wet: Spiced coffee! Yum. I'm surprised I like this.

Drydown: Coffee and ice cream, perhaps with a bit of cake.

Later: Coffee cake!

This is tasty. Mr. Muse likes it, too. It smells almost TOO real right when it first dries. I've been a diabetic since I was 6, and it kinda evokes sickly memories of eating too much cake at Christmas parties and feeling awful afterwards! I might keep the decant, but seriously, smelling this is making me thirsty like whoa. I've liked other foody sweet scents, but this is SO MUCH SUGAR.

Creamy sweet coffee? No, after application it smells a lot more like egg nog. Lighter and not as extremely sweet as I feared. Lightly spiced with a dash of booze. Ok, I am still not converted to foody scents by this but it does not make me sick like some others do. It sounds so tempting to have a scent like that, Egg Nog is just so good. With nutmeg and a dash of cognac... :eek: I have to stop it! But actually smelling like that is still just a bit too much.

Extremely pale yellow oil. Sweet and light and fruity right at first - berries?!? - followed by cream egg nog and lightly spiced, definitely boozy coffee. Blind, I wouldn't guess egg nog or goat's milk, though there is definitely a creaminess here. But it's a light scent, not rich or heavy or cloying. I'm very surprised. And the spices are delicate.

Instantly much more coffee, and the berry is raspberry, so this is like an eggnogg latte with kahlua and raspberry syrup. Strange! There's also an immediate plastic note, probably from the raspberry but could also be the coffee, which is already turning stale on my skin. I get the eggnog thing now, because a strong nutmeg note has emerged. And a sort of sour tang that does indeed smell a little like goat's milk, but this is pretty light and inoffensive.

This is morphing very quickly, and it's not even drying fast. The raspberry note is still really strong but it's turning incredibly plastic, and the coffee is turning incredibly stale. This is also less boozy, and less creamy - more slightly sour (but still pleasantly so) milk. The nutmeg clashes distressingly with the raspberry and coffee overlords. This is such a strange jumble that even though I can detect other (light) spices, I can't identify them.

Rasperry-plastic sour milk with a faint hint of stale coffee and nutmeg - the coffee has just vanished! As has much of the sweetness, most of the creaminess, and the eggnog vibe. This really smells like raspberry flavoured milk (not dissimilar from strawberry milk), except rather artificial-plastic. The sourness isn't bad - it's not like other sour milk notes in bpal, there's something I really like about it - it reminds me a bit of the cream note in Horn Amalthea, I think. Actually, I'm sure about that. Good throw, but this fades fairly fast.

:think:

This one was really not what I expected and QUITE the morpher.

Unfortunately the decant I had of this had leaked, so I didn't have much to test. What I can sniff smells like chocolate at first, then gets a sweet berry note to it. It seems to be a scent that stays fairly close to the skin, but appears to last for a decent long while.

On first application, this is sweet and creamy, like high-quality, made-from-scratch cupcake frosting. As it dries, it gets spicier, but as I've experienced with Egg Nog in the past, the overall scent fades quickly. On the bright side, this doesn't get as plasticky on me, but what lingers is mostly unexceptional. Ah, well.

Light, creamy eggnog with just a whiff of coffee. I really enjoy how 'milky' this blend is.

Except my skin eats this up. Like literally. 10 minutes later and its gone.

I never got around to reviewing this? O.o

In the bottle: Boozy egg nog.

On the skin: Egg nog with coffee. This is fading fast though, and after 15 minutes I get the tiniest bit of a very sweet cappuccino

Drydown: Sweet, creamy with a hint of spice and coffee, but very faint. I think I have to slather this. I'm still on the fence on whether I'm going to keep my bottle or not. If I could smell this properly I'd save it, but since it's so faint I might not.

In the bottle: This smells like Cape Velvet...

Wet: Cape Velvet and some green herbs. o.0

Dry: Cape Velvet with added nutmeg and ginger... and a shot of jager hiding somewhere just out of sight, but not completely out of smell...

A while later: Hmmm... now this smells like a very creamy don pedro - with Amarula and nutmeg. Maybe a dash of Kalhua. The sweetest creamiest booze... yum

Woah, milk. Like, Obatala's milk, but warmed up and spiced. I'm not getting coffee from this, just sweet warm creamy milk with cardamom and nutmeg. No cinnamon, thank goodness. This one fades very quickly on my skin.

I completely :wub2: this scent. Strange, since I hate eggnog, but this smells delicious. Creamy, spiced, thick, tangy eggnog with a shot of espresso thrown in for good measure. I'm keeping my imp and I have a bottle on the way as well :)

Mmm, Bailey's! Lovely, creamy, somewhat spicy and chocolatey coffee liqueur. On me, the spices come out more, it's like a delicious bouquet of gourmand-y yet exotic spices. Cinnamon for sure, maybe cassia, maybe the GOOD kind of cardamom? That'd be a rarity. It's kinda eggnoggy, too, very creamy and boozy. And I still get a wee bit of coffee on the drydown, but mostly it's creamy spices. Very tasty.

In Imp: Eggnog as advertised and predicted! Definitely coffee in there somewhere along with the sweet creaminess.

Wet: The coffee goes strangely bitter. I was hoping the eggnog would temper it more, but with the liqeur aspect it's just a touch too strong.

Dry: Too much bitterness on the coffee, not enough lait! I must amp the coffee. What a pity, I had high hopes. 2/5

In the bottle - Milky, boozy, coffee

Wet on me - Warm and creamy, with an almost berrylike coffee liqueur

Dry on me - Warm, sugary coffee

Overall - Soft and creamy and sweet, a lovely coffee scent for the latte drinkers amongst us

I didn't like this one at first, so I let it age several months.

Wet in bottle: eggy, creamy and nutmegy. I have not smelled BPAL's Eggnog, but many people seem to think these two smell similar to each other. Fair enough!

On skin: Cream and nutmeg are the dominant scents; I can't smell any coffee.

Dry, hours later: Nutmeg and a creamy sweetness are there, but it's very light at this point, moderate throw. This is a great fall/winter scent but it isn't my #1 favorite. :)

In the imp: Warm, spicy & creamy. Want. To. DRINK!

Wet on skin: Just like in the imp, only now there's coffee.

Dry: On me, the spices (cinnamon & nutmeg for sure, not positive about anything else) and coffee are gone within 15-20 minutes. All that remains is a very soft, sweet, creamy scent that sits right on the skin. :yum: Need more!

Edited by Aisha

Egg Nog + coffee + milk + nutmeg + cinnamon = Mother Shub's Spiced Lait de Chevre. Good enough to drink.

In the Vial: YUM! Creamy, boozy iced coffee! I'm getting some cocoa in there, too, and... maybe some fruit? I want to say sour cherry. Or raspberry? YES, IT SMELLS LIKE A VIVA PUFF! Ooh, I'm excited now!

Wet: Those "spices imported from the Crimson Desert" are making this smell a little like gingerbread - and they're making my skin burn. They mellow out quickly, though, and the goat's milk starts to come out, but it doesn't smell egg noggy at all. The coffee is pretty much gone, along with the (probably phantom) cocoa. Still a soft fruity tang to it.

Dry: I think this is one of those awesome blends that morphs into something entirely different on my skin. All that deliciousness that was in the imp is gone. Now it's just... kind of weird. Mainly goat's milk (still not really getting the egg nog part of it, though) with a hint of something fruity, and a dash of cinnamon. It's pretty powdery, too. I'm sad to say I do not like this anymore.

An Hour Later: Pretty much the same.

Overall: I really liked this in the imp. Very disappointed it didn't work on me.