Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cfrancesca

The Adoration of the Mi-Go

Luminous, otherworldly wet and piquant odors mingling with black incense, the pitch-stench of Yuggoth, and fungal lichens.

I knew this one would be interesting.

My nose is not very sophisticated but here goes my attempt at my first review..

In the bottle: Fruity lime/citrus (almost like a lime fruit punch), creamy and slightly aquatic. I also detect a linen note, almost similar to Antique Lace.
On my skin: as it dries I'm still getting lime, sugar and cream with a perfumey (aquatics tend to go perfumey on me) note.
After 30min. I'm still getting a Antique Lace lime and cream scent. I asked my brother and he said it was all bubble gum to him. Go figure!

It's a really lovely scent, but I don't like citrus scents so I don't think I will keep my bottle.

No idea what to expect, based on the description. I got a nice but not too sweet and somewhat faint apple out of this as a top note. The lichen note is way down deep, tempering the apple. It didn't last too long, just a couple of hours, but kept the lovely apple note throughout. Just didn't pick up any other notes. Nice but not complex. Have no idea where the black incense went, but that's okay.

I got a faint apple, a lot like a fruit salad. Also, this smells like bubblegum. Pink bubblegum with powdered sugar. Occasionally there are hints at something deeper, some underlying reisen.

The colors I get from this are the same as on the lable- bright florescent pink edged with florescent blue. (The lable art is extremely awesome.)

This is a light, clean, pretty fruit oil. I like it far more than I'd expect from a bubblegum-esque scent.

Edited by patina

I get lichen, and lots of it. There's a bit of lime (more in the bottle than on me) and a teeny tiny bit of incense way in the back. Fruit salad or bubblegum? Not on me. This is a very interesting scent -- on the edge of "I don't think I like this at all" and "I think I really like this." It's weird that the two options are so very close here, but there we are. I'm not sure I will keep the rest of the bottle (I have half a bottle left after decanting), but I will be keeping the decant just in case aging does amazing things to it. Or if I need to remember why I didn't keep the bottle.

On my skin, lichen and also has an aquatic quality to it. A vague sweetness, kind of like apple, I suppose. And I cannot detect any of the black incense.

Wow, this is nothing like I expected, and awesomely so! I'm not a huge fan of aquatic scents because they often turn manly on me, but the DH likes them so I keep trying. This was a decant I added to my Yule circle order as an afterthought, and I'm glad I did!

The lichen seems a cousin to moss, but without the fuzzy quality that moss has. It has a nice aquatic quality that's not overwhelming, with that touch of lime citrus and incense. I don't get anything really sweet, fruit salady, or bubblegum. I am not sure what the pitch might smell like, so I don't know if it's "missing" on me, or if it just blends in nicely with everything else.

It's a really pretty aquatic scent with some earthiness to balance it. This is definitely a surprise winner!

ETA: I managed to grab a partial decant-circle-leftover bottle of this and I definitely seem to get more incense from it (which is totally yay, as I love incense) than I did from my decant. So glad to have discovered this one!

Edited by dragonsidhe

in the bottle -

there's lime and citrus here, but i dont think it's straight up lime. I think like, lime herb or something. i get aquatic which must be lichen, it's slightly green to my nose too. Incense and pit stench however not so much. Which is FINE BY ME.

Wet - i agree, there's lightly sugared cream, lime, and aquatics here. This is WAY not what I expected. There's apple then later. I'm starting to get a *hint* of incense or musk. It's not bad though. just strange.

Dry

a little incense a little apple a little aquatic a little citrus a little cream

Rating 5/10

Interesting, not bad, just..not sure I want to wear it much.

Edited by Prism

On the skin: Hmmmmm, this one is better than I thought it would be. Kinda strong. Citrus and....? To me it smells kinda like lime and something slightly sweet. It's really getting good!

Later, I am getting a bit of incense now along with the lime and maybe a bit of lemon. Slightly aquatic as well. I don't know why, but it makes me think of the Festival of Anuket...

First sniff - something good is happening here, something that feels plant-like and kind of refreshing

On the skin - aquatic without being soapy. It seems softly musky behind the more green notes, but I don't think I would have guessed incense unless you told me.

It smells clean and breezy, not obtrusive, very pleasant.

A sweet aquatic, fruity, slightly sharp. Regrettably, no lichen makes itself known. Not enough going on here to shout down the other things I'm skin-testing, and within the hour it's completely gone.

Kalirren's review to follow. He liked it.

Ha!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one that got bubblegum.

Yes, I get bubblegum but it's not just any bubblegum and it doesn't stay that way for long.

I'm getting some lovely fruity stuff from this and it does go bubblegum-ish for a bit during drydown but then I get something that drags it deeper. It's not a yucky something but a beautiful bit of dark that makes this bubblegum somehow sophisticated. It's light but very bright in a weird way.

I have no idea if I like this or not. :lol:

in the imp: I get something herbal and aquatic. I definitely get the hit of lime that other have been discussing. Yum yum.

wet: The wet stage is my least favorite stage. On me, the wet stage is ALL incense - dark, almost cloying incense. It is remininscent of these incense sticks that the guys who lived next door to me my freshman year of college used to burn to cover up the smell of the pot they were smoking. Isn't it odd how certain scents bring back absolutely specific memories?

drydown: This is when it gets really good. True to form, the cloying sweetness of the incense wears off for me fairly quickly and gives way for the lichen notes. There is definitely something earthy, but still tempered with something a little sweet - I agree with the person who likened it to the linen note, or even the cream note. Creamy herbal dirt. And I love it.

FWIW, I do not get fruit salad or bubblegum either, OR lime even though I definitely smell it in the bottle. This is odd since I normally amp citrus, so maybe it isn't actually lime that I am smelling but some kind of sweet aquatic herb. Either way, this is definitely THE surprise hit of the Yules!

Starts off pleasant enough with a citrus-y fruit kind of thing going on, but hours later, it's gone sour... like rancid wet greenery. Must be the lichen? I thought I might like it, so this is the second go round, but alas a decant is more than enough.

The Adoration of the Mi-Go is my surprise love of the yule blends. It does make me think of hard moss on cool rocks at first, with something like a bubbly, clean lime soda smell. It doesn't have any of the sharpness that I usually get from citrus notes, though. It's a surprisingly sweet and creamy smelling scent, while also having a cool, clean (but not at all soapy) edge. I don't have another perfume that smells anything like this. It's so unique and lovely. It does have an apple-y smell to it as well, as other people have mentioned. It smells like real apples to me, though, and bpal's apple notes usually don't work well for me.

This is cool, clean, creamy, slightly sweet, slightly lime-y and bubbly, slightly apple-y, and all around just smooth and lovely smelling on me. I think I'll need to purchase a full bottle of this one. :smilenod:

Wet, this is very fruity with just a hint of incense. There also seems to be something aquatic in there too. As it dries down the fruit (lichin?) that I smelled earlier becomes a bit more faint and the incense peeks out a bit more. The aquatic-ness also comes out a bit more and helps to round the scent into something that is going to be very fun for the warmer weather. *adds to bottle list*

This scent really surprised me and its my top favorite of the Faire. I don't know if its because I've been so overwhelmed with the cold mints and holiday spices but it just appeals to me so much. It is a moist mossy scent reminds me of Julia Stone Alien Invasion. Mossy sweetness with a mildewy tang. Kinda reminds me of juniper berries but sweeter and softer. Its a very unique scent, I love it! :wub2:

In imp: sharp, green apple over something black but not unpleasant. The prototype reviews of this were LIMELIMELIME, so I'm hoping some lime will surface later.

Wet on skin: sweet, tangy, green and smooth. I think this has both lime and green apple, with a hint of earthiness in the background.

Dry on skin: a green, musky, sweet, fruity scent. I think there's an evergreen note lurking behind the fruit. Nice but short-lived.

Second day: the same - tangy lime, apple, musk and a hint of evergreen.

Oh, you are such an odd blend, Adoration. I get this limey fizzy pop on wet, and a cool aquatic with a strong lichen/moss/linen note. There's an almost fruity undertone to it.

This makes me think of finding a cave by the a river. Cool stone, fresh water and a strong green moss presence.

On the drydown it goes a little 'toilet' cleanser on me, which is sad... but perhaps the hubby would like to give this a whirl...

Cleaning product here, with a lemon/lime overtone. I am getting a twinge of flowery lichens, and the lemon-lime is fading.

Mmmmm.... this smells so nice in the imp. It is bright. Someone mentioned fizzy and that seems to do it for me. It is almost a mouthwatering scent.

Hey! Where'd you go? Who switched my bright fizzy for toilet bowl cleaner? HEY!

There is no fungus/black incense/lichen in here at all, because if there was I would have scrubbed it off stat. It's actually like ripe fruit (no melons, thank goodness) and Christmas tree, with the evergreen-type note stronger wet and the fruit coming out more dry. It's sweet and festive, and I'm pleasantly surprised! :D

Light straw coloured oil. Surprisingly sweet, in a fruity way, slightly tart, almost candied - sour apple candy? Weird! Not very aquatic or luminous, although I find this very tropical, sort of a humidity perhaps? I get a strong sense of resins, but not really incense, nothing smoky.

Dries instantly. There is definitely something tart here, so sour apple candy seems about right. It smells rather pink though. But something else too, maybe mango? Definitely some type of tropical fruit. More of the resin, which now does smell incensey and lightly smoky. This is a very light skin on my scent, which I guess is fitting. It smells familiar but I can't place why.

Oh! There is cinnamon in this! Bizzare. Also, the fizzy dishwashing soap of Delousing Powder, which really does makes this more luminous (and also more powdery). It's only lightly powdery though and that fizzy soap note is making the blend much nicer on me, I think it would almost be wearable without the cinnamon (which is candied red hots, but not so strong).

I take it back about the grapefruit, or else the grapefruit has faded. This is LOTUS which is why I got such a pink effect, and it's quite sweet and slightly bubblegummy. The cinnamon is still staying very light on my skin, but more incense has come out, and it's dusty-powdery - oh, I bet there is some myrrh in this, but it also reminds me of very traditional incense, some maybe some blackened sandalwood?

Dusty, smoky incense, sweet pink bubblegummy lotus with sour apple candy, vague powdery soap and a hint of cinnamon. Truly bizarre, and not at all my sort of thing. It also makes my nose itch. Very low throw but good longevity.

Edited by fairnymph

In the bottle: Lime and soda water.

Wet: Bright sparkling popping lime and something green and mossy.

Dry: Slightly less fizzy, there is a dank wetness behind the lime now - slimy and green - like wet moss.

A while later: The wet moss is dominant now, with a limey tinge to it.