Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

Sleipnir

Confections spun of hazelnuts, honey, elderberries, and bilberries with a dusting of hay and a bit of carrot.

In Imp: This smells strongly of honey and hazelnut. It has the potential to be great or not so great on my skin. I'm not sure about the honey; I don't like the smell of honey it its pure form and am unsure as to what it will be like as a scent.

Wet, On Skin: All heavy honey and hazelnut. It's a pleasing enough smell, but I don't know if I like it as a perfume. During drydown, the hay and berries hover in the background, threatening to break through. I like the berries; they give a juicyness to the allover scent. The hay is a very true hay as well.

Dry, On Skin: The honey has calmed down, thankfully. The hay and berries are at the forefront now. The berries smell like red berries to me. There's almost something incensey swirling underneath. It's fading fast though...

Later: It fades incredibly fast but it's sweet and gentle berries at this point on my wrist. I kind of enjoy this one! I am not sure it's bottle-worthy but I will definitely use my imp.

Bottle: hazelnuts and honey

Wet: the same, with a dryness (no other way to describe it, really) underneath I suspect is the hay

Dry: I still can't quite find the berries, but the hay is more hay-like in teh way it's getting in my nose. I hope this aspect goes away.

Later: ouch, headache. ouch.

expect-

oats,oats, and honey!!!! a little bitta berry afterwards please~

imp-

sweeter, almost in an almond way. certainly a berry eater! a bit of a plastic edge at the end, perhaps within a berry note?

wet-

almond oat honey- sweetened by berries- a much softer scent on the skin.(of which I am grateful~) a bit spicier

verdict-

the darlin' says' that you just forgot that a cherry lollipop melted on your hand! epp- I think it is a tad sweeter than I would like, but I'm quite taken with the oat note~perhaps when they're not around....heh!

In decant: berries with a touch of dryness underneath

Wet: Nuts, honey and berries. REALLY NICE.

Drydown: Hay starts coming out. Honey fading, berries very light.

Later: After a drydown phase where everything almost disappears, out comes this clean berry scent, very pretty but extremely light. Fades very quickly.

You know what this reminds me of? A very light-throw Vinland.

Got my last two decants today, so it's test away! In the decant, I'm getting honey, nuts, berries, and grains of some kind; this smells like it'd be wonderful for breakfast. On my skin, it's primarily honey, berries, and I think the nuts and grains thrown in there somewhere. Hmm. We'll see what this does, but it's a bottle candidate. Both on the thumb test and the wider skin test, this smells like something you'd cook up warm for breakfast, almost like porridge or something. I likes. Bottle needed.

Edited by Venneh

An unexpected winner for me. I haven't really liked a hazelnut scent since one of the old Hearth scents (can't remember if it was 04 or 05 that smelled particularly nutty), and although I sold that bottle a long time ago I have missed it from time to time. This one is good too, and this decant will be a nice substitute when I miss Hearth.

I can tell it's a nutty scent, but it's not overpowering, and it's also not a buttery nut scent (that's just a bit too much for me). It's more dry. Like roasted. The berries make it kinda sweet, and I think the hay and carrot are contributing to that dry quality.

I like this one a bunch.

In the bottle: Foody- Nuts and sweet fruity honey

On me: The wallop of nut scent dries away to an oat-nut-berry scent. Sweet and cozy, creamy, comforting.

If you like this you may like: Eden, which adds a green-ness (but DO NOT try them side by side like I did. Eden, which I love, turns into a green astringent mess next to Sleipnir somehow. :D )

Hazelnut sweet. This is nutty and honey sweet with a touch of berries. It kinda reminds me to a farmhouse kitchen, smell of oats, berries, nuts... it just smells like something is cooking. Perhaps cookies? ;)

this is another surprise for me. i normally dislike foodie scents on me, and i especially dislike grains on me (the closest i normally get is pumpkin spiced anything).

this is nothing but hazelnut coffee on me. it's amazingly good.

i worked coffee bars while i was working on both my BA and my MA, and this smells exactly fresh coffee with hazelnut syrup and a touch of cream. it's really really dry- i'm assuming that it's the hay- but it's still sweet enough that it keeps from being too dusty. i don't get berries at all and i'm not sure what it is that's making this creamy.

this is a really good blend for me though, it's foodie without being disturbingly so. i find it comforting too because i honestly loved working in those coffee bars and it reminds me so much of that. i'm not normally a fan of nuts but this blend just works. i'm going to be looking for another decant or two of this one.

In the vial: wow, super-sweet hazelnut! Very tasty. Then on me, a bit of berry something comes out (I don't know what elderberries or bilberries smell of...apparently like this, sort of a cross between blueberries and raisins). The hazelnut dominates, though, and the hay lends a bit of grainy bready goodness. I smell a tiny bit of honey in this, too. Delicious! It smells like awesome cookies.

This smells lovely in the vial, all sweet honeyed hazelnut cream. Unfortunately, on my skin it goes bone-dry and dusty immediately, like ground-up nuts scattered over a bale of hay. Apparently it makes me smell like I've been working in a barn, which, while perhaps evocative of the scent's namesake, is... not really ever the vibe I'm going for. This might make a nice room scent, but I can't wear it.

In imp: dusty, sweet and edible, like a delicious honeyed cereal bar in a haystack!

Wet on skin: sweet but not in the least cloying, toasted nuts and honey and elderberries, still dusty, very edible. Reminds me a little of Eden.

Dry on skin: doesn't morph much. There's less berry now, but still lots of honeyed, toasted nuts. It smells like something I'd enjoy eating, but I won't be needing a bottle. After a while, it becomes less dusty and more creamy. Delicious!

This one is really nice. It's mostly hazelnut with a sprinkling of berries, but not incredibly foody. And as it dries the nuts fade a bit and the berries come out a bit more. It's really lovely without being too sweet.

The hazelnuts are first to arrive. Then the berries. I really wish the honey was more of a presence, because the nuts and berries aren't doing it for me.

wet, it's complex- I actually get the carrot! on, it is super hazelnut, and then POOF here come the berries- and now it's just sickly sweet berry like a bad drugstore berry lotion... *sigh*

I was hoping for a cousin of Gunpowder with this one. Instead it starts out as a very nutty, warm scent with hazelnut the primary focus. As it sat on my arm though, the berries started to come out and sweeten things up. A dusty bit of hay and carrot stirred in towards the end to make me smell pretty much like granola :lol: Not the feedbag, horsey scent I get from Gunpowder, but foodier and very nice indeed.

In the imp: I smell nuts (hazelnuts, presumably), something sweet (honey, presumably), and a touch of something fruity (the berry notes).

On wet: The hazelnut note predominates. It reminds me a lot of the Irish coffee note in Misk U, but without all the booziness. Wafting I get the berries and honey notes in waves. The berries honestly smell more apple-y to me than anything else.

Dry: About 30-40 minutes after applying it, the honey really starts to come out as the scent warms up. I can kind of see how some people consider honey notes to go plastic-y on them; this one hovers on that edge but never crosses it on me. Unfortunately, the scent quickly becomes the All-Honey Show, to the exclusion of the other tasty notes in this.

Verdict: I might or might not keep the decant. Not a bottle purchase. Sad, really. I had high hopes for this one.

Edited by CaptainEcchi

In the bottle: Berries, nuts and hay.

Wet: HOLY horses! Hay and lemony something and fresh chewed carrots and HORSE FIELD.

Dry: Berries and hay and honey.

Many hours later: Berries and something slightly hay like, but a tad more grassy. Sweet and clean.

Sleipnir - This smells like cereal -- like grains and dehydrated fruit and nuts coated in a buttery-sugary glaze. I don't normally like foody scents, and they don't normally like my skin, but I am surprised to actually like this one and it behaves on me. Still, I don't tend to prefer foody scents for my personal fragrance tastes, but I am going to put a little bit of this in the dryer with my bed linens and I think it's going to make them smell really cozy and comforting and perfectly lovely.

Pale lemon yellow oil. Surprisingly light, almost aquatic - I think that comes from the grassiness of the hay? But it's lovely. The bilberries and honey and hazelnut are strongest, especially the HONEY, although the sweetness, which is pretty strong, hits rather late on the inhale. I do get a bit of carrot, but I can't pick out the elderberries. The hazelnut is not that bad!

More carrot and a little more hazelnut - this a little more foody. But there's still a lot of that bilberry, which to me smells like a really light bluberry - sort of like, faintly blueberry flavoured water - it's delicious! I can get a bit of the darker, tarter elderberry. The carrot adds sweetness to this, but the honey is actually smoother and less syrupy on my skin, so this isn't a cloying blend. The hay is a gorgeous soft note and very light, not at all like hay absolute - not sour or sharp in the least.

This is going buttery on me; the hazelnuts are clearly amping more and more. Ugh! This would be so lovely without them. I absolutely adore the wild, light berry notes here, the honey is delicious, and the carrot is so interesting (and also yummy)! And the hay note is hands down the nicest hay note I have ever smelled, it's similar to the drydown of the hay note in Tattie Bogle, but way better.

Very slow to dry, but it's fading even before it's fully dry! Actually, the hazelnut is what's fading the most - maybe there's hope? The elderberry and carrot are the most distinct notes now, with the honey and hay and bilberry blurring together (though still very much present) behind, and the hazelnut on top, nagging.

Final drydown (well, it never dries, but long term) is elderberries and honey primarily, carrot and buttery hazelnut next, bilberry and hay last. It's interesting how the elderberry takes over and this is quite a morpher. I'd absolutely adore it sans hazelnut, and while this is the least offensive hazelnut blend I've tested, I still hate nuts in perfume, especially foody-buttery ones. Good throw, and after a little initial fading, great longevity.

In the imp, it's just carrots and air. On my skin the carrot takes a backseat and it smells very blended other than that. Mostly honeyed hazlenuts though it's very subdued and dusty. Other than the nutty smell, I would never have guess that they were hazlenuts or honey in it. I was looking forward to this and while it's nice, it's nothing amazing. Comforting, yes, but I have way too many of those that I love.

In the bottle, it's warm buttery hazelnuts with a tiny hint of sharpness in the background. Maybe the carrot?

On my skin I get the honey and hazelnuts full force for the first hour, and not much else. I smell warm, golden and almost edible.

After the first hour, the overwhelming hazelnut scent fades enough that I can smell the hay, which is sweet and pleasant. It lasts a couple more hours smelling of honey, hazelnut and hay. I don't get much of the carrot and I don't ever smell the berries, but overall I'm really pleased with Sleipnir. It's delicious in the bottle and delicious on my skin. I just wish it lasted a little longer.

In the imp: buttered nuts and honey

Wet on skin: honey and nuts! a little bit of sweet berries in the background

Dry on skin: still nuts and honey. thank goodness i'm not getting any hay & carrot!

Rather nutty and warm -- I don't get any berries from this at all. It reminds me kind of like dry cereal...whereas Gunpowder was more warm, moist oatmeal. It was fun to try, at least.