Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

Sleipnir

SLEIPNIR
At Yule, Odin leads a divine hunting party through the heavens. On Yule Eve, children would fill their boots with sugar, carrots, and straw and place them by the chimneys for Odin's eight-legged horse, Sleipnir, to eat. To repay the children's kindness, Odin would refill the children's boots with sweets or small gifts.

Confections spun of hazelnuts, honey, elderberries, and bilberries with a dusting of hay and a bit of carrot.

Muesli or a gathering of ingredients before you start baking cookies. Not overly fruity though. This would be more like dried berries. This doesn't make a grand statement but is quietly compelling. Sort of a comfortable-sweater type scent on a day when you're being a bit of a homebody.

If Gunpowder was about evoking the treats a horse loves then Sleipnir is the wholesome treats a horse-loving girl or boy would nibble on.

IMO, this would be a good scent for a person who goes into sugar shock with many BPAL foodies.

This scent is a morpher! At this point I've had it on for a couple hours and the hay and hazelnut seem to be the most prominent scents. But sometimes it would be all about the hazelnut and honey, sometimes the berries and the honey, sometimes the hay and carrot. So every few minutes I seem to have a new scent experience with this one.

Odin's eight-legged horse! The Northern Matter, as Tolkien referred to it, has always fascinated me, moreso than even the Greek myths. So I wanted to love this, but was afraid of the hazelnut note, and well, I was correct to feel so! The nut is overwhelming in the bottle, and on the skin, but finally gets tamed in the dry-down by the berries and the honey. This doesn't remind me at all of Gunpowder, and I was hoping somewhat that they would be in the same scent family. But once Sleipner has had his hot walk and a good drying after a cool bath and then his bran mash (with berries and honey mixed in), he's a tamer horse. Perhaps only Odin may ride him, but he's safe enough for a stable visit, after he's tired out from a long day of flying over battlefields. And no, there weren't any carrots to feed Sleipner as a treat.

I really like this...agreed that this is a good foody for those who want less "sugar shock" the notes I get the most are a blend of hazelnut, honey and berries with just a hint of hay and carrots...a yummy blend!

When I first put it on it made me think of the warm mash you'd feed a horse. I was thinking that there might be grains in this as well, but, no.

Once it settles down it is mostly honey and crumbled bits of hazelnut. If the hay ever showed up it was a mere whisp in the background. I got no berries at all. Somewhere as it dried I thought I did smell the carrots.

Lots of hazelnut in this blend. A warm, comforting scent. I get hazelnut and honey as the strongest notes. But I can definitely detect the carrot in there too. I never did get catch any of the berry notes on my skin test though.

Edited by angelicruin

In the decant: overwhelmingly sweet!

Wet: sweet, a little bit foody, a little bit berryish. Sweet nutty berries... and Heavenlyrabbit is right, they're more like dried berries. It smells good and I can't stop sniffing myself!

Dry: Warmer and more hazelnutty, but still lots of berry. I don't really smell the hay and carrots but I'm sure they're in there grounding things. This is a very soft, snuggly scent. I'm contemplating a bottle.

I didn't really expect to like this, and I actually do. I don't think it's something I'd wear regularly, but it's different enough from the foody blends I already have to make me consider trying to get a bit more of it.

This is foody without being sugary-sweet. The honey and berries definitely add some sweetness to it, but the base of the scent is this buttery nuttiness that almost provides a salty contrast to all the sweet. It's a very warm and rich scent, foody but very different from most of the other dessert scents I've tried. As it dries it gets even softer, and stays pretty delicious!

This blend intrigued me with its description, but I didn't expect it to work on me. I was pleasantly surprised! In the vial it smells like sweet hazelnuts and softened with a bit of hay and maybe a touch of honey. On, it smells like blueberry muffins! Yum! Wet, it reminded me of a lighter version of Blackberry Jam and Scones (the same sweet buttery pastry note but with less pronounced berry) or a creamier version of Fairy Wine.

Dry, this becomes a healthier side of foody/bakery scents, reminding me much of granola, oatmeal cookies or muffins dotted with raisins and berries and sweetened with a touch of honey. I would love to get a bottle.

In bottle/imp: This smells like oats and carrot sweetened up with something thick and rich (but not honey because bpal honey doesn’t usually smell good to me, and this smells quite nice).

Immediately on skin: This smells like super hearty, healthy oat-packed cookies. There’s a lot of hay and hazelnuts, which smell almost like oatmeal when combined, and some pulpy carrot with a bit of sweet honey drizzled on top.

After a little while: This scent has gotten a bit fruitier, like soft dried berries with oats and a bit of carrot. It’s soft and warm with a slight nuttiness.

Overall Impressions: This smells foodie, but not in a bakery way at all. It almost smells like oat and carrot muffins with a few berries added in. Honey is a death note on me, and I don’t get it from this blend at all. Overall, this is slightly sweet and warm, nutty and slightly fruity.

This is delectible. At first I get hazelnut, then the honey appears, and finally the sweet wild berries. I'm not getting any hay or carrot specfically, but something of a warm undertone that the honey blends into perfectly like it does with the hay in Hay Moon, though the hay is much less obvious here. Sleipnir is just a delicious Christmas treat! :wub2:

No kidding, every single note in this is fail on me. On my skin, berries are sour, honey is rancid, nuts go off, hay is much too dry and carrot? just no.

So why the hell did I get a decant? I can't say other than my curiosity just gets the better of me. :lol:

Sleipnir should NOT have worked in any way, shape or form on me, but strangely it does.

I don't get any ill effects from any of the notes; instead it's a very well rounded combo of all. The hay must've muffled the honey and berries while the carrot must've counteracted the nuts. I don't know, but it has a mild sweet-but-dry thing going on that is just lovely.

It's on my bottle consideration list for now. I'm still waiting on the majority of my Yule decants, so we'll see after that. Either way, I'm very glad I let my curiosity prevail in this case - decant isn't going anywhere. <3

This is interesting, very subtle. I've been trying to think where I've smelled this before and I think I've got it: uncooked carrot cake. It has that raw smell before baking brings out the sugars and a little bit of baking soda tartness.

I'll definitely keep my decant, but I don't think I'll want to wear it enough to warrant a full bottle.

ETA one year later:

I now find this to be similar to a thicker, sweeter version of White Rabbit.

Edited by Altaira

In the vial the hazelnuts come forward first followed by a freshness and sweetness I attribute to the hay and carrots.

On my skin the hazelnuts back down a bit after a few minutes and the scent mellows and blends. I love the combination of hay and carrots, they lend a freshness that keeps the foody aspect of the blend feeling light and pleasant. Bottle worthy for sure :)

Hmmmmm ... like Gunpowder with berries! I don't get the hazelnuts at all. Nice, but I wish it would last much longer.

On the skin: Sweet grain? With nuts of some kind? Very strange.

I am afraid this one makes me feel kind of sick....

This unexpectedly has become one of my faves out of the dozen+ yule 2009 scents I've tried so far. Added it to a decant order because I wanted to smell it, never thought I'd especially want to wear it. But on me, this is a soft hazelnut honey scent that is warm and comfy and doesn't scream "FOODIE." Had it on yesterday and kept catching surprise whiffs of something that smelled wonderful -- and realized it was me. :-D

The yules I thought I'd love are languishing in my BPAL box while Sleipnir is making regular appearances on my skin. And I bet it'll age beautifully.

Wow, this is first: I can actually smell all the notes! The most prominent seem to be the hazelnuts & the honey, followed by the hay & the carrots. The berries (elder & bil) seem to come out more as it dries by adding a touch of fruity sweetness. I think I'm going to need a bottle! :D

What an interesting blend this is. I get hazelnut and honey at first but the carrot note and some grain/oats come in to play after a bit and keep this from being all sweet, all the time. I wondered if this would be like Gunpowder, but it's softer and smells more like people food instead of horsey food. Quite nice; I'll need to try this one again and think about a bottle.

in bottle - nuts, berries, with the afterscent of hay and honey and carrot.

wet - hay, carrot, and an almost cherry like berry.

dry- gunpowder, with BERRIES. I like it! a hint of hazelnut here too. But the carrot and the hay...yum..

Rating - 7/10

Sleipnir smells like a granola bar and fresh berries on my skin. It's cheery, golden, and slightly sweet. I get delicate, honeyed oats and this fresh berry smell, like smelling a basket of real berries. I smell a bit of dusty hay in the bottle, but none of that note on my skin.

This has a natural, pleasant, light smell. I could see myself wearing this on days when I don't want a heavy fragrance. I was worried about the hazelnut and honey going sickly sweet on me, but this is very wearable. I might need a full bottle of Sleipnir, and I'm definitely keeping my decant :smilenod:

When I first put this on, I immediately knew I'd encountered a BPAL like it before. So I went nuts for a few minutes trying to remember what it was.. I'm not sure that I completely solved the mystery, but I'm 99% sure it's Wezwanie/Hold - nutty, woody, honey. Then it turned into The Antikythera Mechanism - honey-ish wood and tobacco.

Oh, and then it almost completely disappeared - not even 15 minutes on my skin and when I inhale the spot where the oil was applied, I get very light berries with a slight honey. Err.. what? It was *so* rich when wet, but I swear I can barely smell it at all now.

I think Odin just kept right on riding and didn't stop to fill my boots :(

Mmmmm....sweet (but not overly so), sugar ladened hazelnuts drizzled with honey. Not getting any carrot or hay. Very foody but not too sweet despite the sugar n' honey. :)

Edited by pinkstardust420

When I first tried Sleipnir, it was all honey and hay, and nice enough, but not a scent I'd really like to wear. Over time, it mellows, and has a nice honey, faintly hazelnut smell, with some complex notes underneath (no berries for me though). It is VAGUELY foodie, but not overly so, it's more a slightly (nicely) sweet fragrant scent. I wouldn't want a bottle of this, but I am enjoying it more and more as the day goes on.

Wow. This is really refreshing. Nuts, berries and honey. Sweetened granola, yet it is also a little tart and very mild.