Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A lighthearted winter scent: chilly vanilla rose snowballs! Dainty, soft, and certainly unfit for flinging!

Hey! This isn't Snow White, is it? I swear it's similar, maybe Snow White with just a hint of vanilla? Interesting, but doesn't quite hold a candle to my Snow White!

I absolutely adore this scent. I neither have Snow White nor Rose Red, so can't compare, but it smells a lot like MMU's Rose Cuddle to me - which is one of my favorite scents and sadly no longer available.

Pink Snowballs is the perfect combination of vanilla and sugary roses to me and I absolutely love myself when I wear this - it makes me feel womanly, happy and upbeat. The perfect smell for when a day starts out wrong and you need a pick me up. It has considerable staying power too, though in the end the sugary vanilla dissipates and a soft sweet rose remains.

I hope for a return come Yules, and if not, I am forced to find a bottle elsewhere ;)

In the bottle this is a very clean, white and pink fragrance that is also just a touch sweet. Sadly, the sweetness turns to a strong dust note on my skin. :(

I keep trying sugary blends, hoping that one will not turn to dust. So far I have had more failures than successes, but I will keep trying!

This is the 2011 version.

In The Bottle: Snow White with a light rose tossed in: sweet, delicate, musky and wintery without turning baby powdery. So far, so good!

Wet On Skin: A slight morph, this is now smelling to my nose like a combination of the sugary rose that is Hope and the creamy rose of Victorian Rose Milk v.1. and since those two are my favorite rose blends? This is turning out to be *just* what I was hoping for. :)

Dry Down: A light, beautiful and bright creamy and sugary delicate rose. :thud:

In All: Light to medium throw, this is the Rose scent to complete my trifecta of yummy rose scents! An in-between of the afore-mentioned Hope and VRM v1, this is a rose scent to wear on those impossibly blind-bright sunny winter days when the light seems as if it will reflect off each and every snowflake in each and every drift passed, dazzling the eye more than should be possible. But since I live in Seattle where it's cloudy most of the winter, I shall instead wear this scent to remind me that the sun will eventually return. ;)

:wub2:

I thought for sure this was going to be a great scent for me. Light? Check. Rose? Check. Feminine? Check. But.. for some reason, it just isn't. I can't really pick out the rose, and it is making me think of something dusty and pink from my past but I can't put my finger on it.. maybe some kind of deodorant powder or.. something. Nearly medicinal, like pink baby aspirin. I have compared it to the Snow White I picked up this year as well, and I much prefer Snow White. Something in Pink Snowballs just doesn't work on my skin.

I want to love this one. I was sure I would. But.. I think I'll be putting it up for swaps. :(

This is sooo pretty. I usually can't do pretty girly scents because the flowers take off and kill everything. But this is perfect the rose is mild and sweet and in the background. And the rather tropical feeling I got from Snow White is tempered by the rose so this actually smells like winter to me! Very, very nice.

Edited by SadariEvenstar

...... I have the distinct feeling that the 2011 version is different than the 2009 version. I almost didn't recognize it when I sniffed the bottle and had to check the label twice.

There is a strong ash-like scent underneath the rose, sugar and vanilla. Maybe the lab gave the 2011 version a stronger "snow" scent? I don't know ... I'm sad though, cause I was ecstatic to finally be able to get a bottle. I need to retest, cause I tested this after a long long day in the office, on a very cold arm and in a cranky mood. Also, it came straight out of the package with no possibility of warming up first. Possibly it smells completely different come tomorrow, so I'll come back and edit when I've thoroughly tested it. It could also be a question of aging.

Edited by Lyanna

PINK SNOWBALLS 2011:

Preconceived notions: given the reviews, I was expecting Snow White with some Rose. I love Rose, so that's fine with me.

Sniffing from bottle: very delicate frosty vanilla.

Wet on skin: More delicate frost vanilla. I smell no rose. Is my nose broken?

A couple of minutes later: Where are you Rose? Oh wait, here it is: Rose peeks her head up through the gentle snowflakes that smell of fairy dust: "Did someone call me" she says in a sweet, shy little voice. This does not smell of Snow White in ANY way to me whatsoever.

On the drydown: ok, this smells like Rose touched snowflakes. It's a pale pink scent. My boyfriend likes it, which is... Unheard of! He calls my BPALS my "stinks" (I know, right?)

Overall impression: This is definitely rosy vanilla snow, with snow being the operative word here. A soft, delicate dusting of snow, like powdered sugar, over pale pink rose petals. It's excrutiatingly feminine and I love it. Pink Snowballs? Certainly dainty. Certainly unfit for flinging. Beth wasn't lying. In a way it almost reminds me of a floral Sugar Cookie. I can't wait to age this baby.

Rating: 4 stars out of 5.

Edited by Soniadevi

Pink Snowballs 2011-

In Bottle: Sugary perfume, neither floral or foody but some blend that won't quite come near each. I see why some think this is close to Snow White!

Wet: A light soapy candy.

Dry: Is it possible for candy to be soapy? Is it possible for this to be not "eww" but "how interesting!" It is! The perception of the Snow White scent is still there but less; Snow White is one of those scents I've wanted so much to love but there's something cloying in it I can't get over, so, I'm glad that fades. This is not a scent that's thrilling me but I want to try it again. It really does give me the essence of "pink" under everything.

Overall: Not completely sure; will try again.

OK, so my 1st impression of Snow White last year was "Smells like Skin Milk", though I was completed pleased I didn't have to deal with nasty chemicals to get this lovely scent any more.

Pink Snowballs is a rosy Skin Milk..without the chemicals and fake perfumes...YAY!

Wet: sweet soft vanilla and rose with a touch of...spearmint? What's the ingredient that makes it snowy? We'll never know. It's actually incredibly strong during this phase. Joyful, light-hearted indeed, optimistic, bouncy (bouncy? Yes. Bouncy.). Glad I'm starting my day with this.

Drydown: still exuberant and fun. Still sweet airy vanilla & rose, with that snowy note. I honestly like this one better than Snow White, which comes across as sweet & sad, doleful. Don't get me wrong, I love that combination, but this is more playful. My favorite morning scent these days. There's basically a protective wall of anti-fuck-up-my-day oil on my wrists, right now. Awesome.

Oh I love this! It was everything I hoped it would be!

This smells like rose mostly in the bottle (well, I have a decant, not a bottle, but you get my point)

Wet: still mostly rose, but there is that "delicate" note, that I can't quite put my finger on, that is also in Snow white

dry: as this dries, it smells to me like a soft rose, like that in "Hope" was blended with the same "Chilly Bright" snow note used in Snow white. I can definitely see the comparison here. I think this is absolutely lovely!

Will definitely be buying a bottle 4/5 :wub2:

Argh! In the decant and wet on skin this smells AMAZING- rose and sweet creamy vanilla snowballs. And then, just like Snow White does on me, it vanishes. Poof, no rose, no snow, no nothing. Just a super faint whiff of...dust. Sadface.

2011:

This one is a bit more milky than my 2009 version is. Where in 2009 I got a little more rose than vanilla, in the 2011, it's more milky vanilla with just a little rose. I just got a decant of the 2011 version, since I still have nearly a full bottle of the 2009 and I'm happy with that decision since for my tastes, 2009 is better on me.

I somehow missed this the first time 'round even though I love the name and the notes, so I made sure to get some this time! On me, Pink Snowballs is absolutely beautiful--my beloved rose, with a marzipan and vanilla base, and definitely something "cold". I can understand all the comparisons to Snow White--I would say a Snow White, Rose Red, and Dana O'Shee menage a trois!

This smells exactly like Snow White with an extra helping of buttery vanilla and only the faintest almost nonexistent hint of rose.

My imp is a decant from the lovely Alethia.

In the imp: Clear, colorless oil. The scent is mostly a buttery vanilla, with a little rose.

On me, wet: The rose note comes out more strongly on my skin, which I like. Right now, the rose and vanilla/butter notes are about equal. I'm not sure I like the combination, it's a little plastic-y. I'll see what happens.

On me, just dried: The rose becomes more and more dominant as the oil dries. I'm really liking this a lot now. The rose is very fresh and natural - so as it takes over, the plastic note is fading into the background. This doesn't seem like a chilly scent at all to me. The vanilla and butter make it seem warm and cozy.

After 10 minutes: I really love this now. The rose and vanilla have achieved a lovely balance, with rose as the main note.

After 20 minutes: The fresh rose has lightened up, making this plastic-y again.

After 1 hour: Alas, all plastic. It doesn't smell like either rose or vanilla.

A couple of days later: When I tried this in the scent locket . . . violá, no plastic. The plastic-y note was clearly an artifact of of my skin chemistry. I loved this in the locket! The fresh rose scent was stronger and longer-lasting, with the vanilla as more of an accent rather than a main note, which made the overall fragrance less foody and thus much more appealing to me. In the locket, the scent that I had loved on my skin at the 10-minute mark, was retained for the entire day. This might be a bottle-worthy blend after all - for wearing in the scent locket rather than on my skin.

My rating:

On my skin - 2 stars

In the scent locket - 4 and a half stars

Later ETA: BTW, I wrote and posted my review (as always) before reading any of the other reviews, and was very amused to see that the review above mine (strahlend's) says almost exactly the same thing as my first impression!

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

Sniff: Delicate rose, pale and sweet

Wet: Rose and sugar over a vanilla base. The rose is very sweet and light, almost like violets. The scent floats in the air, it has a definite soft and wispy feel.

Dry: This gets sweeter as it dries and the vanilla becomes more musky. Overall, it smells like sugar cubes dissolved into a pool of chilled rosewater.

i'm not sure how i missed this one before, as i often like sugary-vanilla florals. maybe it was the comparisons to snow white, which turned rancid on me (BPAL's milk note does not like me.) this actually smells like a cakey smell plus rose. it's a bit too foody for my tastes, but i could see wearing it occasionally. my skin is really amping it, and if i smell it closely i get a bit of a headache.

This smells exactly how imagined it. It's Snow White with rose wheee!

The rose is a bit on the tart side which works really well with the vanilla. I went for a bicycle ride and was amazed at how this amps on warm skin, a little goes a long way.

It's a rose scent that I can (and actually want to ;) ) wear! Definitely need a bottle.

Ahhh...

This is my first review since rejoining the site (from way back in '06 or so), and i am not disappointed in my impulse to dive in and purchase a whole bottle.

In bottle - a sort of crisp, rosy, almost chemical scent, with a hint of sweet vanilla. Hoping it dries down similarly.

Wet - the "crisp", cold smell is very strong, as is the rose. No real vanilla hitting me yet. Hoping it comes out soon...

Drydown - Mmm. It's a very delicate sweet-rose, with just a hint of that initial crispness. Hours later it's still there, but much fainter. I find that i do have to re-apply if i want it to smell as strongly as i like, with the proper amount of throw, since it is such a delicate scent. Totally in love with this - i'd like to try layering it with Rose Red, because i do love the smell of roses, in particular freshly-cut ones. I'll definitely be purchasing another bottle (er, or six!) this week, as i don't think i can live without it. I wear it every day, and can't bear the thought of running out!

2011 version

In the bottle, it just smells like cake. I amp the vanilla in here, so instead of vanilla and rose prettying up the snow note like it is dried on cloth, it's VANILLA with poor snow just mananging to assert itself and rose managing to hang on. It still smells nice, but I prefer the way it smells unadulterated by my skin chemistry. It's more like a rose sugar cookie than a vanilla rose snowball. This is an extremely girly, wispy, sugary and sweet scent, so this should be heaven for fans of those kinds of scents.

I really love this one! It's the same vanilla found in my lick it vigorously decant. (which is peppermint for two seconds them straight yummy cold vanilla) I think that I'm going to buy a bottle of this before it goes away. It's so soft and feminine. I have a feeling the vanilla will age well also. That's because the first few days the rose was kinda sharp. . Now a month later my decant is a cold vanilla with a drop of pink rose petals.

I'm just so in love!

Edited by ReenaLolita

I am in turns very excited and very afraid of this perfume. The descriptions sound fabulous, but the word SNOWballs is present in the description and the Lab's snow note hates my skin. :ack:

In the vial: oooh! Thick, creamy vanilla with rose... this smells like Alice and Snow White had a perfume-baby together. I hope it stays this way. Wet on my skin: I get more of the same. I get more rose as it starts to dry down. I'm definitely seeing the Snow White plus rose attitudes now. I'm experiencing a tie between rose and cream for the dominant note. Dry: This is mainly a dusty rose with a plasticky cream undertone in the background. I'm not quite sure what happened, but this went from AWESOME! to o.0 pretty fast. I think I will not be upgrading this decant to a bottle.

In the imp: a slight vanilla that can only be described as "chilly" with a rosy scent wafting through

Wet: a chemical-like vanilla, not very strong though

dry: the vanilla becomes more and more dry after a few minutes and a light yet dusty rose weaves it's way through

final verdict: A nice scent, but it really isn't for me. Off to the swaps/sales for this one