Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Eutectic

Now Winter Nights Enlarge

Shorten those tedious nights with a surge of body heat: vanilla-infused red musk, champaca, petitgrain, ylang ylang, patchouli, nutmeg, honey, galbanum, and traces of caramel.

so many notes in this that are so amazing... but like so many others, all i really get is a burned caramel kind of note. complete with plastic wrapper.

so wanted to love this. kept hoping to love it. sad to see it go.

I generally avoid red musk, because I get that rotten play-doh, latexy thing from it, but this sounded overall so delicious that I had to try it, and also I'm becoming more tolerant of the darker musks.

In the bottle and wet it's a sort of woody caramel. I'm not bothered by caramel the way some folks are, but I don't do well with buttery scents. So far this was OK.

The musk develops next, and lo and behold, it's working fine on me with the caramel and woodiness.

But then it fully dries and that's where things go off. Something sort of decaying emerges, that old mushroom note that someone else mentioned. I wait for it to pass, and it sort of does, but then comes this overly floral incense sort of thing that combines with the caramel and musk in a sickly way. I want this all to blend into sexy perfection, but instead it becomes something I have to wash off.

WAAH

Omg, how is it that I've never reviewed this scent before?

I've had it for years and coming from a tropical climate, tend to reach for it only on cold & rainy days. Humidity does not like strong smells.

This is a gorgeously sexy smoked caramel red musk combination that should be reserved for evenings. Invokes Autumn so beautifully, though I believe it was one of the Yule releases.

In fact, I just got reminded of it as I was sipping on my Starbucks Salted Caramel Mocha Frappe! :yum: :wub3: How insane is that?

Beth, you are incredible. :bow:

In decant: caramel! And a little smoke?

On: This reminds me so much of Red Lantern! It must be the caramel and red mask. Strangely, I usually amp red musk like crazy and anything sugary goes to plastic, but somehow this is really working. Unnnff sexy smoky caramel musk is right!! I've tested half a dozen blends this weekend but I think this one takes the cake. I want to smell like this forever!

I found a 2009 version, aged til now (2015) to review, since the new update has this recurring for the 2015 Yules...so, in case you are wondering how your decant will age...

in vitro--def. a red musk blend, smells a bit foody, like caramel

wet--red musk, honey, a bit of caramel, very faint patchouli

drydown--reminds me a bit of Red Lantern in the drydown, due to the red musk, caramel, there is a trace bit of the champaca incense but only because I read the notes and know it is there. There is also a woody, balsalmic note, the "celery" note that others noticed is probably the galbanum. It almost smells like a tobacco leaf note. In this quite aged imp, the red musk is very calm and soothing, not as sexy and in your face as it can be. Wondering if I will need to get a bottle of this with the 2015 Yules? I like this quite a bit, but I have a bottle of Red Lantern and I am not sure this trumps it. It does have honey...maybe I will try layering the new decant with this aged decant and make my decision from that. If I come up with anything amazing I will report back...

This review is for the 2015 version (first one?).

The ylang ylang is sexily forward in the bottle, buttressed by the champaca.

On my skin, this starts weird and funky -- hard to describe -- a kind of dense knotty wood, a sour almost tarry smell. There's a gradual sweetening and warming into a resinous scent, but the weirdness keeps coming back. It's striking, a little alienating, a little maddening.

I don't get any of the foodiness people talk about in earlier incarnations. I wish I had the caramel. I'm a little sad, but also fascinated. I get the occasional plasticky moment, but it doesn't last.

The things I usually amp -- vanilla, sweetness, patchouli -- aren't dominating here, though the patchouli gradually adds a nice edgy sourness to the overall effect. I get no caramel or honey, but a pleasant powdery dustiness from the red musk and patchouli.

This settles down into a very gentle red musk on me without much throw -- a quiet finish to a brash scent.

Wet: sexy musk dominant. Sweet, but not overpoweringly so. Very sexy. The notes all blend together really well, and I can't pick out individual notes other than the musk, which is dominant. Not getting any of the Lab's caramel note (my favourite note ever).

Dry: Sexy sweet musk. Smut never worked on me, but this works amazingly. This may be my favourite musk blend thus far. I don't get any caramel, or really any other notes, it's just sweet musk on me, and I love it. Can't wait to see how it ages.

2015 version! I like the idea of a sexy Lupercalia-style scent available at Yule.

In the vial: bright red in color, and smells a lot like Dragon's Milk.

Wet, on me: a blast of caramel for a hot second, then patchouli dominates, then red musk emerges to soften and warm it.

Dry, on me: beautifully blended on the drydown, with the patchouli fading into the base and a balanced spiced honey-caramel / red musk on top. Comparisons to Red Lantern are apt. Perfect for a hot date on a cold winter's night!

This is for the 2015 version:

In the bottle: Red Musk, vanilla, and maybe some wisps of caramel?

Wet: red musk, patchouli, and vanilla. After a bit the honey really comes out. I think this is the most I've ever smelled the honey note in a perfume before usually it gets lost on me.

Drydown: Red musk and patchouli all day long. Sometimes the honey and vanilla still show up. I never really got much of the caramel note at all.

The throw is strong and it lasted a long time. It reminds me a bit of Smut but that might just be because of how musky this comes out on me.

Every note in this should be an absolute winner for me. Red musk blends are amazing for my skin chemistry, and I love patchouli and champaca dominate blends. The supporting notes here are beautiful and are things that generally get along with me and that I like....

So why am I not smelling like... Anything?

When I skin tested the oil I actually spilled a little turning the bottle to my wrist. I thought crap, I'm going to be drowning in this! Since the blend profile was bound to be rather strong. But even though I quite literally slathered myself in it, I smelled nothing. I'm terribly confused. Even after a few hours all I got was a vuagely plastic sweet burning smell, but still very very faint. I had to really stick my nose to my wrist.

I'm hoping this is a case of if I let my bottle rest and age the oils will bloom. How odd.

Yaaaaassssss! I don't know what kept me from this so long! The petigrain, probably. Silly, silly me. I was expecting this to be a caramel fest from all the reviews, but no...it's quite red musk heavy with sexy, foodiental notes! And by that I mean it smells like a PERFUME, a sexy, red musk heavy PERFUME, slightly floral from the champaca and ylang ylang, a tangy, slightly fresh woody lift from the petigrain, but with richly spicy, sweet notes. Oh, and the DEPTH from the honey/vanilla/patchouli...it keeps it hanging on so lusciously. Someone said, "tarry". Yes.

Yes.

Love. Love. LOVE!

Edited by lookingglass

In the bottle I get honey mixed with a green floral.

Applied to my skin I get red musk. The musk lasted quite a while.

completely dry all I smell is Musk.

The top notes were great but the amount of Musk ruined it for me.

Seemingly I did not wear this much last year, but wow this year will be different as this is a lovely deep musky Incense on me that wafts and hangs around in a most dreamy way. Sexy and dark in a Third Charm sort of way but with the red musk being less prominent

RED MUSK RED MUSK RED MUSK and maybe a little bit of spice and also some RED MUSK RED MUSK RED MUSK for good measure. Drat you, skin!