Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
thekittenkat

Hypothermia

HYPOTHERMIA
Poor naked wretches, wheresoe'er you are,
That bide the pelting of this pitiless storm!
How shall your houseless heads, and unfed sides,
Your loop'd and window'd raggedness, defend you
From seasons such as these?

Bone-chilling, heart-stopping cold.

In the bottle Lots of mint, spearmint being the top note.

Wet: Very minty, with the spearmint prominent.

The dry-down: I had high hopes for this scent, and ordered it unsniffed. If you like mint, and especially spearmint, you will like this oil. At this point I'm reminded of Cloister Graveyard in the Snow and Death of the Gravedigger; from both of those I was hoping for snow and got a lot of mint instead. Hypothermia is their LE cousin, only it's not as strong and it doesn't last as long as either of those two scents. It's also not very cool on the wrist, as is usually typical with oils that contain the snow note. The snow note, to my nose, does have mint in the blend, but it's never overpowering as the mint in these three oils.

Colour me disappointed.

I got lots of eucalyptus, menthol, or some kind of sharp cold mint variant as the topnote on this oil. On the skin, it starts to segue towards a Snow-White-like creamy cold scent, but stays more perfumey and cologney, like a faint aquatic. The eucalyptus burst / menthol coldness dissipates and it's a very chilly whisper on the skin, but without much throw.

Several guys who happened to be at a baby shower I was attending commented that it smelled 'cold.'

I think this one is the mintiest of them all! Along side snow flakes that one was very minty to me. Hypothermia reminds me of dead silence and cold hard ice. This eventually dissipates into an icy pale musk, not overly sweet or cologney. Love it!

I get a burst of peppermint, followed by what smells to me like wintergreen? The mint sticks around for quite a while, with the musk in the background, fairly prominent. It's cold and icy all right, but I think I still prefer Nuclear Winter for my mint fix.

I'm getting peppermint and eucalyptus out of this blend after initial application.

I get that same creamy Snow White-like throw as it dries.

I'll definitely keep my decant, but I don't see myself purchasing a bottle of it.

In decant: smells like soap.

Wet: Still smells like soap, but mintier soap, with a hint of something green.

Dry: Smells like a minty evergreen tree with a hint of ozone. It does kind of remind me of Snow-flakes except it's softer.

I should also note: Ouch it burns.

Edited by distracts

wow. there really is a coldness in my nose as i breathe this scent.

which, other than that, smells like a... frosty pina colada?

i'm keeping the decant for summer!

This reminds me a bit of Nuclear Winter -- I think some of the mints involved must be the same.

However, this scent is a very ozoney, airy, almost dry cold, where the cold in NW always struck me as sort of wetter and slushier. It is a very cold scent, indeed, and it definitely doesn't have the standard "snow" note (as I get in Snow Maiden, Snow Moon, Snow Bunny, et cetera) for people who dislike that.

It is very ozoney, though, and it definitely took on a slightly soapy/detergenty/dryer sheet edge for me as it dried, and it disappeared rather quickly on my skin.

[]~~ hypothermia~~

...icy fingers reach through dry shells of puddles that have long since disappeared... that's what hypothermia reminds me of.

unlike the aquatic snow flakes, this is a dry, bone-wrenching cold. menthol, hint of spearmint and something cold that hits the back of my throat and drops the temperature there when i smell this.....it is exactly what i was hoping for. Colder than Nuclear winter, because i can feel it, not just smell it. It will be gorgeous to wear in the heat of August here in flambe-land.....i am satiated and yet craving more. A quiescently frozen treat!!

Edited by pseedie

In bottle/imp: This smells like mint, cold air, and eucalyptus.

Immediately on skin: I used to have a bottle of Snow-Flakes from 2006 and this reminds me a lot of that scent only colder. Whereas that scent was the green, cold part of Snow White, Hypothermia is that scent plus a lot of mint and herbal eucalyptus, and maybe some ozone and pine as well.

After a little while: This still smells like cold air, eucalyptus and ozone with pine and perhaps a llittle less mint. It’s very chilly, slightly herbal, and a bit on the unisex side.

Overall Impressions: To me, this smells like a colder, more masculine version version of Snow-Flakes. It’s all cold air, ozone, pine, eucalyptus and, at first, a bit of mint. It’s almost salty in it’s crispness, and would be great on a hot day.

Wet - Mint... spearmint? Yum. A hit of ozone, too.

On skin - Okay, promising, though I'm getting weirdness.

After a few minutes? SOAP. Sudsy, frothy soap. :cry2: My skin says a big, resounding 'No'. I snagged this unsniffed, unreviewed, hoping it would be minty. I'm a mint addict. But no.... other than the first 15 seconds, no mint on me. I wish I was getting the eucalyptus some people bring out. Bah. It may even be triggering a headache. This is the second time I've tried, and rolled it well before application. Bummer. Oh, how I wanted to love this!

This is going to the swap pile, for someone else to love.

(I am amused that there are way more recent reviews of the foody Yules than of Hypothermia...)

This is gorgeous when wet - a fresh bracing blast of COLD made up of some kind of mint (I don't really think it's peppermint--maybe pennyroyal?), an almost pine-y eucalyptus, and maybe a little cold ozone. It calms down quite quickly to become much more of a skin scent which, on me, goes back and forth between a slightly creamy wintergreen with a little pine and mint, and Irish Spring soap. :eek: I think what some people have compared to the Snow White-like throwdown is rescuing it somewhat.

As someone said above, this definitely leans unisex for me. (I should go put some on my husband...!)

This might well be a candidate for the scent locket because I love it when wet--it might be a wee bit "room scent"-like, but very fresh and energizing!

Edited by Anna D.

Okay, so I can see the early bright top note of eucalyptus, but it burns off fast, and then I'm left with the same creamy snow note from Snow White, so its slightly like a tropical coconut drink.

Meh.

Holy shit batman. This is really, really icy and cold. This is a eucalyptus and mints type snow blend. At first there is something almost dark and sinister when I first applied it. It lurks in the background. It is the darkness of being cold. I can't put my finger on it. After awhile that same creamy note from Snow White/Flakes & Maiden appears and the darkness is gone. Hmmm. I kinda liked that quality.

In the vial - a mix of strong mints, eucalyptus among them for sure

On my skin - mint hybrid that soon turns soapy. Then it just keeps on being soap.

There is definitely spearmint, eucalyptus, and something else that makes you think of cold! It is cold...and might just be refreshing to keep until the summer months when it's too dang hot!

in the bottle- ozone, cold, mint. No snow.

Wet - eucalyptus and mint. More herbal than minty. Definitely cold. Ozone really stands out in this on me. Reminds me of Faunalia but chillier.

Dry - goes kinda soapy on me, it's still nice, but soapy. With eucalyptus. I dont really get "mint" overwhelmingly here at all

Rating 4/10 - even soapy it's kind of pretty and wearable, but...really there's better things.

Wow, I feel as if I'm reviewing a comletely different scent from everyone else! I don't get the slightest hint of mint or eucalyptus or pennyroyal from my decant. I do get unidentifiable florals (white ... like a mix of lilac and narcissus) and a waft of ozone. Slightly dryer sheet, as mentioned upthread. Reminds me of Snow Bunny from last year. I suspect that Hypothermia -much like Snow Bunny- will only be wearable in the winter while summer's heat will spike the floral notes to headache-inducing levels.

In decant: Very clean and very cool smelling. It's not as sweet as a lot of the other "snow" scents from the Yules this year. I'm going to say I'm getting a lot of ozone out of this one. Very clean and sharp and thin, reminds me of pre-storm weather.

Wet: instantly sweeter, I'm actually getting a little soapy scent here, like really clean, slightly cool/sweet soap. I'd probably love to wash with this soap, but I'm not sure I want my perfume to be this soapy :-(

Dry: Fresh, clean, soapy, cold, linen sheets. *sigh*

On the skin: Herbal astringent smell. I am not sure if this scent is all that good on my skin. I can smell a bit of mint as well.

First on, Hypothermia smells like the creamy, frosty vanilla note from Snow White fell into a vat of Vicks VapoRub. As it dries down, the sweetness becomes cloying on me, and I just don't find that medicinal menthol smell to be very wearable as a perfume. Over time, I start smelling hints of a sharp mint and soapy aquatic as well.

Hypothermia smells like a medicine cabinet stocked with spearmint mouthwash, Vicks VapoRub, vanilla mint toothpaste, and bars of cheap soap. I can't imagine myself ever actually wearing this out anywhere. It smells more like it would be a good bathroom cleanser than a good perfume to me...

The wet had a bit of a nose tingle which wasn't unpleasant, added to the "cold" atmosphere, but man, when this dried...blech.

I am right there with Little Bird's review...its totally like you are smelling that medicine cabinet - but I'd add to the analogy of smelling a shitty, cheap vodka (think "Dark Eyes") again when you are hung-over. *shudder*

:wub: Eucalyptus, my love! Its not sharp though, it's more creamy with just a hint of peppermint. As it dries down, it gets a bit sharper, but it still has an underlying creamy quality. For me, this is a very soothing, mind-clearing type of scent that would be great for those days when I'm stressed. Definitely picking up a bottle!!

Ok. Now that I've read other reviews and am pretty sure there wasn't a decant mixup.....

On me this is snow white, but better. I get snow white plus some mint and just a tiny bit of eucalyptus. Cold, most definitely. Sweet florals from the snow white part are kept in check by the seriousness of eucalyptus. And it lasts & lasts. :wub2: