Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
thekittenkat

Hypothermia

Bone-chilling, heart-stopping cold.

A close-to-the-skin scent that evokes winter wind and chill. Soft & light, a perfect perfume for cold days and snuggling.

Minty eucalyptus. I like the smell, but I don't want to smell like this.

In the bottle: Mint, definitely. Some other notes I can't identify.

Immediately after application: I still have no idea what it smells like except that it smells GOOD. A vaguely aquatic feel. I swear it feels cool on my wrists.

Warming up: It DEFINITELY feels cool on my wrists. FUNKY! It smells like ice. No, really. There's some minty undertones but I get definite aquatic notes too. I picture icicles. This is awesome since it's getting hot out, it'll be perfect for those superhot days. I'm just so tickled by how my wrists are tingly cold!

Fading: Mostly aquatic with a tiny hint of mint.

Faded: Softly fading aquatic notes.

Overall: I quite like it! It's definitely an I'm-so-hot-I-can't-stand-it scent. It's freezing cold and refreshing. I'd consider it gender-neutral but it might have a bit of a cologne feel to some.

Not one of my favorites, sadly. It starts very fresh, but with a weird, WEIRD undertone, so much so that I was like "eeew? what? fish?"

There's something in there that doesn't agree with my skin obviously. Definately off. That stage did not last too long fortunately, maybe a couple of minutes. It then dries down and the weird smell dissipates. What is left is a soapy sweet irish ... soap. I think.

I don't like it, but I don't don't like it either. Hm. I think this one goes on the swap pile.

Hypothermia starts out as a bracing, kind of mouthwash-y mint in the early stages, and then like others have described, it fades to mostly Snow White with a smidge of mint and a hint of cologney-ness. I seriously have so.much. Snow White that I'm not totally sure if I need this, but then, there was a day last week when this would have been the perfect scent: I was a little hung over in the morning and wanted a minty scent to counteract my headache, but then later in the day when I felt better, I started craving Snow White. It's such a specific fit that I think I'll hang onto my bottle a while and see if I end up reaching for it as the holiday-party season (and the morning-after season!) really gets underway. :laugh:

2017 version:

After an initial blast of — is that cat pee?! — it settles into a more proper snowy mint. It develops into an aquatic menthol once it's dried. Pleasant, but not the Lab's classic snow note or the Snow White series which so much of this Yule update has been featuring.

I understand the Vicks Vapor Rub references but this is so much better, minty, slightly floral, with a hint of ozone, nice & cooling. Eucalyptus is a favorite note and it's here in spades, as the blossoms. This also has some spearmint I think with a sweet leaning very fresh aquatic note.

I was initially not especially wow'd by this then I kept catching whiffs of something gorgeous! It was Hypothermia on drydown.

I am surprised this isn't wildly popular. The dry phase is sweet, vanillic, hazy shade of Winter. It vaguely resembles Snow White but no coconut or pineapple/melon. It's closer to the drydown of Snowflakes 2006, which is one of my first snowy BPAL loves. I'm willing to wager there's a healthy amount of benzoin in it. This closest I can come to describing this is the fluffy, slightly vanilla part of TKO without the lavender.

I may need more than one bottle...

Edited by sprout

2017 version.

In the decant: Intense mentholic snow.

Wet: Definitely menthol, eucalyptus, maybe some short-lived pine or juniper, and a softer mint like spearmint or wintergreen? It reminds me of Vick’s Vapor Rub. It’s very minty.

Dry: Once the menthol calms down, the softer mint comes out more, and I also start to get some sweetness in the background, which I believe is Snow White’s sweet snow note. After several hours, what’s left is that the sweet snow note chilled by mint. It makes me think of Snow White snow accompanied by Winter-Time’s mint. I think sprout may be right about some benzoin being at play here, though!

Verdict: It’s been years since I’ve tried Nuclear Winter, but maybe this is like if you mixed Nuclear Winter with Snow White, and then Snow White with Winter-Time? The menthol phase of the scent was too much for me, even though I appreciate where it went with the sweet snow note. I'd prefer to wear Snow White or one of the scents with a sweet snow note that doesn’t have a beginning that is heavy on the menthol.

Edited by doomsday_disco