Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
xoe

Gacela of the Dark Death

Terebinth pine, pitch, and clove.

Wow. Gacela of the Dark Death, you are lovely! That is unexpected.

I've never smelled anything quite like this. I thought it would be like Mistletoe for some reason, but it isn't at all.
The way the clove blends with the pine and pitch is amazing. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
I can't really describe it. It is sort of airy and dark, and wafts lightly.
It is not sweet at all.

I sure hope that more people try this and can post more descriptive reviews.

I'm happy to try anything at all if it has Terebinth pine in it. The Clove was a bonus.

I am happy to report that this scent is everything that I wanted it to be. Spicy pine and clove, blended together. There really isn't anything else to say, I suppose, except that even with only a very few notes, it hits the complicated deep, spicy area that I love so very much.

It probably helps that pine and cloves are two scents that just about define my Christmas memories. If you distilled all the good stuff around Christmas down to just two scents(which would be awfully, terribly hard to do. I'm so bad at editing down.), then these would be it, because together they seem to add up to much more. I don't need to have the cinnamon and oranges, the candy canes, or the wrapping paper added into it. The clove and the pine summon their spirits and they are suddenly there anyway.

Wet on the skin, very sharp pine. The clove note comes out after the oil is nearly dry. While the emergence of clove softens the scent a little, it's still a bit too sharp for my tastes.

Fully dry it's sharp pine & spicy clove.

Wow. Before I put it on, this is very sharp, dark pine. Like a damp pine forest. Something dank and dark is definitely lurking.

On, I get strong pine. I worry for a second that it will be like Pine-sol.

But! Here comes the clove, warming it up and twisting it around. Wow! For a bit it smells cologne-y. This might be a good man's scent (for men who want to smell manly.) It's definitely not sweet.

On drydown, it smells like a clove ciggy. For reals. But still not too sweet.

I like it. I'm not sure how often I will wear it, but I like it. I would especially like it on someone else, I think...(someone I am kissing lots) :P

Since Orobot, I am a sucker with anything with Terebith pine.

Wet, the smells reminds me Illustrated Woman. Remember when you first got your bottle? The smell of the pine pitch? This starts off reminding me of that pine pitch. But as it dries, the pitch mellows; mixing with the Terebith pine gives it just a touch of sweetness. The clove adds a nice, sharp edge, but not so sharp you get cut.

So far, this is by far my favorite Yule this year. I have found that I do quite well with fewer ingredients, and Gacela of the Dark Death does not disappoint. Simple, spicy and a touch of sweetness. Melancholy but hopeful.

This is a bit too masculine on me. I don't smell pine at all, just clove with a cologne background. Not a bad clove, more like a bag of cloves in a spice drawer than the sugared clove in a cigarette.

This one doesn't change much from wet to dry, I washed off after about 30 minutes so I can't comment on long wear.

Mangos? For a second I thought I smelled mangos, but really this is a very soft pine and clove. No other way to describe it.

I recognize the clove from the Hell-Gate of Ireland, but to me, the Hell-Gate's reisens and musk do something to sweeten it. This is just dry and manly. Too much so for me.

I'll have to come back and test this again later.

This smells really scary in the bottle. It's sharp, bright, harsh pine that conjures up images of Pine-Sol cleanser for me.

On my skin, this is sharp pine cleanser, spicy clove, and a hint of woodsmoke. The coolness of the pine note paired with the warm clove note is interesting, but I don't really like it or want to smell like this.

The pine note here is just too sharp for me, and starts to give me a headache after a while :(

in bottle- pine. whoa. scary pine. Pitch like in illustrated woman. Clove like in pickled imp.

wet - the pine is taking on a slightly astringent quality here. Pine Sol? Oh dear....no no now it's settling. And there's clove. and astringent is becoming more "cold" and "fresh".

dry - this dries fast. it's clove, and smoke, and pine afterwards. It's cold and fresh and warm at the same time, there's no pine sol here folks. It's too masculine for me to wear however.

THIS is what christmas smells like in my head.

Rating 5/10 even though I dont want to wear it. I want to find a guy friend to cuddle and douse him in it however....

Edited by Prism

On my skin, this isn't a very strong scent which is good thing. It's a nice blend of sharp pine & clove; it actually reminds me of walking into a Christmas tree lot. This would be great as an atmosphere spray, but as a perfume? Not my sorta thing.

On me this is almost exactly the same as Clod and Pebble.

The clove is yummy and its very fresh.

Smells like motor oil...But thats a good thing. It's manly. It's that sexiness of leather but not. It's a bright scent. It smells like I just played around with the car engine and have grease on my fingers and a clove ciggie burning from my lips. There's some greenery too. This is going to smell amazing on the guys.

A very masculine blend. This has a ton of clove and a bit of pine. Starts out pretty intense and strong but then quickly fades to something less in your face. It's a very interesting scent, but not one I'd reach for.

I'll pass on this one.

On the skin: Pine pitch and clove. Strangely good....

After a bit the pitch mellows out and the clove starts to turn bitter. Kinda sad, I want it to not change from the first stage. My skin chemistry hates this one.

In the bottle this is scary strong pine. Immediately on it's similar to Illustrated Woman on me: The pitch note begins to open up. And finally, when it's dry it's all Christmasy cloves in the throw with just a hint of pitchy pine up close. It's REALLY nice :) Exactly what I was hoping it would be and was afraid it wasn't when I smelled it in the bottle.. but once on it's great!

When I first applied this my initial thought was WTF why did I get this?!?! Wow nothing but a strong sharp tree scent. Now I love my tree scents, but damn...On drydown the tree tames down and the clove comes out to play. Yay clove! This would be great paired with a citrus cent in my mind...

This is sharp at first, but it dries down until there's plenty of sweet murky clove that mixes beautifully with the pine, which eventually takes a backseat and really lets the clove shine through. The final result is nothing like the pine cleaner I was afraid of at first, but a sweet, spicy and slightly foresty. :wub2:

Edited by Invidiana

I think this is just too much clove for me....it's a note that doesn't always work for me, mostly when paired with patchouli, but in this case it's just too heavy. I like clove sometimes like in Plunder and Velvet Bandito. I love pine but this scent is pretty much all clove for me. It's not horrible......it doesn't do the sour thing that I got from Smiling Spider, but I blame the patchouli in that scent. Anyway....just not working for me.

expect-

Been on a clove kick as of late- any spicy warm goodness send it my way! Wishing for a deep dark bitter blend- acrid and rich from the forest. Give me the brutal beast please bpal~! It seems when I want the dark, I just get snacks! Now then, here we go~!

imp-

Wavering between a gorgeous clove note, and the slightly mouthwashy pitch- the pine is a bridge between the two. Clove acts as a sweetener in this blend to the welcome acrid pitch. The second whiff reminds me of a new carpet-not favorably. It's a bit plasticky, and covers the clove.

wet-

cloves comes out after a bit of the sharp pitch- reminds me of the spicey-ness of Frederic. Nearly identical actually- perhaps it's the 'dark woods' notes in Frederic? That would make sense as the poem seems to evoke the 'dark woods' as well! Regadrless, the pine blends seemlessly~ not quite clove, nor pine. A sent unto its own, coffin planks~

dry-

Softer- skin eats the pine, but blends well. A warmer, dryer scent now-from the merging-

verdict-

whelp, I was hoping for something new to me palette but I do quite enjoy this- but I do have me Frederic to keep me company~ Fantastic spicy stuff that, and not to be sniffed at for it's deceptive simplicity. Might layer quite well too , eh?

Edited by dreadpiraterustypants2

Bottle: Clove oil and pine sol. Like my kitchen after I've cleaned and I'm baking these little clove cookies my great-grandmother used to make...

Wet: the same

Dry: more pine bough, now (less chemically), with a hint of the sweetness of the clove behind.

Later: more clove, and still the pine remains more like a tree than a bucket of mop-water. It's interesting, but meh.

Lovely! A nice smokey clove to begin with, drying down into a bit more pine, but still with a strong clove presence. One weird thing is one wrist smells more pine-y then the other, not sure why :lol:. Am very glad to have a bottle of this, it is completely :joy:

This... smells like Christmas. Pine and cloves. It's warm and foresty and spicy and smells exactly like walking through the forest with a hot spiced drink. YUM. And I think it's going to be even better next Christmas.

a bright pine to start, then a deeper pine needle sap. Resinous and pleasant but drying down bitter. Really bitter...Not a wearable scent for me.

Kind of a two-dimensional pine tar-clove, neither one overly enchanting. Pleasant and all, but with all the other dazzling riffs on both notes in the BPAL catalog, this was not thrilling to me or my guy.

mmmm... i love this! possibly too masculine for me to wear, but it's gorgeous- they meld into a perfect balance... I imagine this is what Aragorn or Robin Hood would smell like- crisp, spicy, sweet, like a dark forest and rain...