Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lucretia

Evening Cicadas and Red Peppers

EVENING CICADAS AND RED PEPPERS
It is so, so cold!
A cicada in the eaves
With the red peppers.

Frost-limned, ice-bejeweled branches, scattered blood-red maple leaves, a few camellia petals, red peppers, and nacreous, multi-colored musks that shimmer like gently-beating cicada wings.

This is really beautiful! I really had no idea what to expect with this one, but it's decidedly floral. It goes on really muted and I can actually barely smell it at first. I can never pinpoint what the ice and frost bpal notes are, but they are definitely here. I've never smelled camellia before, but it's a nice floral. It's not too sharp and not soapy. And then some really soft musks in the background. I'm having the hardest time describing this so hopefully someone who knows these notes better will review it after me, but my overall impression is a soft floral with some gentle musk and cold notes. As it dries I get more of what I think is the peppers (or maybe the maple leaves?). It's vaguely spicy.

ETA: ok, it's definitely the peppers that come out as it dries, and actually the florals start to fade. This is a real morpher! I don't know if I'd call the final dry stage a floral so much even, it's almost a bit earthy.

Never got any pepper out of this. A little sweet, somewhat snowy woods. It did not morph on me, and that's nice for a change. The snow note comes from the ice and frost; the woods must be the tree branches, but perhaps also the maple leaves; the sweetness is probably from both the camellias and the light skin musk.

This actually smells more like a fresh springtime rain than frost and ice. The watery note is almost cucumber-like. The floral note adds to that springy impression. The red pepper note is awesome - it's a dead-on fresh vegetable note, subtly blended. There's just a hint of decay, like wet leaves. I don't pick up on the musks at all -- will edit if they appear on another wearing. The drydown is a little spicier and leafier than in the imp and worn wet ... but the soft spring scent remains. Overall I think of this as an aquatic - that rare kind of aquatic I love and can wear headache-free.

EVENING CICADAS AND RED PEPPERS IS ZOMGMAZING AMAZING, REALLY I TELL YOU, IT IS AMAZING

So. When I put it on, it's all wintergreen with a hint of something sparkly underneath. Something red and sparkly, like the color China Glaze Ruby Pumps nail polish, but in smell form. But the red is hushed, because it's under the white/green of the wintergreen. But as it sits on my skin and soaks in and makes friends, it changes. Slowly, the red creeps out from behind the curtain. And it's kinda like a freshly-chopped, late-summer red bell pepper, but it's sweeter than that. Tangy, even. And there is musk. Not a red musk that beats one about the head and shoulders saying "HI DAMMIT I'M SEXY NOTICE ME!!!!!," but a softer musk, one that's content to twinkle and shimmer and play and flirt, one that's sexy without actually needing to proclaim it with the aid of a bullhorn. And there's something slightly floral that hides in the back, and there's still a hint of the frosty wintergreen, but just a hint. Just so as to provide the reminder that this is winter looking longingly back at summer, rather than full-blown summer.

This reminds me strongly of a winter version of the Zieba Tree. It's not exact by any means, but the overall feel is something of the Zieba Tree plus the frost note.

Medium throw, long-lasting. I put this on at 1, and it's still pretty strong 8 hours later.

A+++++++, easy top ten spot.

holy crap this is pretty - I dont smell specifically mint for those of you who were worried. I smell something leafy for sure, maybe the musky too but its a crystalline kind, and a cold very light aquatic note -- this is what I thought Falling Leaf Moon would smell like (instead of apple cider). While I dont get a strong snow note, this is definitely cool and late autumn/early winter smelling.

LOVE. (and as it dries, I do get a sense of rain, which is awesome because that was my first desire to find here at BPAL)

Edited by CaudaPavonis

Wet this was a light musky aquatic, watery but sweet, that unfortunately reminds me more of room scents and soaps than perfume. I get that a lot with aquatics. On drydown, there's definitely that kind of wet, crisp smell, but something makes it go too sweet and musty, like overripe melon or sweet peppers- I suspect the musk, it's always a gamble for me. It just gets stronger the longer I wear it.

Throw is medium, and it's pretty long lasting.

This was very tea-like smelling when I first applied. I think it's the Camellia. It blossoms into a predominantly floral scent. As it wears, the floral/tea combo fades a little and the musks come out more. It retains an edge of coolness to it. This one was a little perfumey for my usual tastes. There's an edge of regal-ness about it.

ETA: After trying this again, I'm still getting a floral/tea vibe at the beginning, but the drydown is SPECTACULAR. The peppers come out just a little bit and give the scent a earthy sweetness. The end result is a sweet light musk. It's truly stunning. I've not smelled anything like it.

Edited by crebbsgirl

Wow!

Wet, this starts off with the scent of red peppers that have been taken out of the freezer, still frozen, and chopped. Something a little sweet starts to pop out.

As this dries, the sweet rounds out, playing with the musk. This scent is the red color of a not-quite-ripe-pepper. I am not sure what camilla smells like, but it must be what is giving this the roundness. The multi-colored musks are very gentle, more like a skin musk, but yet, and I don't know how she does it, shimmery. Vibrating. Very alive.

I agree with the reviewers who felt this is more of a spring rain or early autumn scent. Not winter, not yet...

eta:

As this dries, this becomes a soft floral, very sweet and no peppers to be found. Very feminine. I am anxious to see if the musks emerge as this ages.

Edited by samarablackcat

In bottle/imp: I get a bit of wood mixed with warm florals, then a little dry musk and a hint of grapefruit right at the end.

Immediately on skin: This smells spicy, herbal and green, with dry musks and a hint of grapefruit. The musk is so dry it’s almost powdery smelling.

After a little while: This smells of lightly warm, spiced musks with some smooth, dry flower petals. It’s a very smooth scent and is just short of creamy. There is also a bit of a cold note overlying it, almost like ozone but much smoother.

Overall Impressions: This scent is so hard to pinpoint and explain since it’s so complex, well blended, and unique. It manages to be dry and musky, lightly spiced, and cool all at the same time. It almost has the scent of something you’d find out in nature, a plant with dry, flaky bark, crackling flowers, bright leaves, and touches of frost. I don’t know if I like this or not, which is interesting.

ETA: I did a full wear of this scent and decided I absolutely love it :wub2:

Edited by Delirium1009

This is very, very true to the description. I get it all: icy evergreen branches, dry leaves (I'm a huge sucker for dry leaves), a soft floral background and a certain warmth brought on by the musks and what must be the red peppers (no, this doesn't smell like regular or hot peppers I swear), the kind of warmth you get from sitting in a lighted room while a storm rages outside. This must have been a difficult concept to bring to life through scent--beautifully done! :clap:

ok, no one be mad at me, but it's the fragrance part of those little cashmere bouquet soaps you get in motels.

except with a bit of coolness, a sort of depth from the pepper/leaf scents, and some reallly pretty muskiz.

a lot nicer than that might sound, actually...

eta: trying this a few months later. the pepper/leaf sharpness is too much for me until i've been wearing this for a few hours. at that point, the camellia musk is quite pretty, but i'm not sure i'll really wear it through the pepper phase. i wonder if aging takes away veggie notes? heh.

Edited by veronicafranco

First applied, I get this wet wood smell. It's frosty but not snow. It's also wood. Definitely wet. After a bit, I get the leaves and the camellia petals. It's lovely here. Gorgeous wood mixing with frost, leaves and a bit of a floral to sweeten it up *just* a bit. Lovely. Then the musks come in. Those change everything. Everything starts to go a bit moldy, almost, on me. Instead of anchoring the scent, the musks almost blow it apart. It's jumbled. Too jumbled for me. I love the one part but that is very short lasting.

Interesting, different, but not for me.

This was one of the ones I was really hoping would be awesome on me.

Sadly, I get a very cologne-y scent from wet through to drydown. I have no idea why exactly it does this to me, as musks are usually my friends. Might be the leaves and/or camellia.

After drydown (about 30+ minutes in) I start picking up on the musks, but nothing else. The camellia may be sweetening the musks, but it's nothing obvious to my nose.

This goes off to swaps.

This one is an odd one. It definitely has a nacreous quality to it-- the musks feel white and green to me. Very light and airy. But there's a definite quasi-floral note that I get from BPAL's leaf notes underneath it all. It's a little bit woody, and yet not quite. Reminds me of walking through a muddy park on a rainy day, but in a good way, if that makes any sense. I don't know if this is one I'd reach for, but I want to see how it smells on my husband.

I didn't want to like this one. I even asked my friend and he said he loved it and would steal it from me if I decided I hated it. There is a soft aquatic quality to this. Not frost or snow, but a light fall rain... I can totally see the inspiration behind this. The musks do flit in and out like the beating of insect wings. Not loud, but a nice shimmering background. The red peppers are the star however as it is exactly the smell of cutting a fresh red pepper. After I get my bottle I may gift my decant to my friend. :lol:

Huh. I don't get red peppers from this, nor any appreciable musk. It's this somewhat generic, cool aquatic. It lasts forever, but the scent is really underwhelming on me. I think this decant is for the swap pile. Too bad, it sounded so interesting, and a lot of people seem to get the notes involved...

This smells very much like the snow note, with a little less mint - which I think agrees with me. The snow is less brittle, if that makes sense. There is a floral that comes out and seems to temper the "cold". The pepper is strong in the imp, but less strong on my skin, though I think the pepper anchors this scent a little. I love it, and it is worth a full trial wear.

Oh, this is interesting. This review is more feel than scent impressions as I can't pick out any notes. When first applied I get a feeling af wet, fresh, crisp acquatic. This feels open and airy.

As time passes and I am able to disect the scent without being carried away by the feel of the blend. I get a generic floral bordering on soapy with no musk evident. Not very impressive past the dry down phase.

Oh, I so wanted to love this :( It seems I was right to suspect that the ice note wouldn't work on me, because hello, Aquatic Of Death. Sob. I never smell ice or water or sea in any aquatic blends. Never. Woe.

*loud noseblow into an oversized and flapping handkerchief*

So anyway! Fresh on the skin this is a very interesting cocktail of something like canned red peppers, but without the tinny can smell, and a very pale and transparent aquatic. I think it's the first aquatic I've smelled that's given me a "watery" visual, as opposed to a "holy god bright blue" visual, very delicate for an aquatic and interestingly toned down by the red peppers.

As it dries the aquatic gathers speed and becomes the dominant note and a note emerges that is definitely maple twigs and/or leaves. Neat! After a long, long drydown, during which the only throw is delicate aquatic, what remains on the skin is pale musk that does somehow seem to be layered. It's very light in "color" like white musk but has the softness and sweetness of some other type of musk, so I don't know what all's in there but it's kind of cool.

I keep saying "interesting" and "neat" but this one is super duper not for me. Glad I gave it a try though.

This was a gamble, but oh heavens, it's delicious! Deep bitter tea & dried leaves with a dusting of frost, and a faint sweet vegetal note that must be red bell peppers. The musks are indeed shimmering - white, crystalline, maybe a drop of green... The overall effect is watery & cool, but with a bracing bitter edge that I love...

I didn't expect to like this one at all. Wet it's all wet leaves but when it dries down the leaves are barely there and it's all aquatic. After a little while the peppers come out to play. I really like the middle stage, but I'm not quite sure about the first and last one.

I didn't know what to expect really from this, but it definitely wasn't what I got. In a good way.

I'm going to cut straight to the end as the middle parts aren't jaw dropping and while this is drying it has the tang to it that more than my fair share of oils have a tendency to get and I don't really care for.

To smell this dry is worth the wait. So very worth it. My impression is an exotic tropical flower in a chilly rain storm. I don't get any mint, dirt, frost or earth from this at all. Maybe the very, very tiniest bit of pepper on the back side of the sniff. It's very beautiful and womanly.

Possible bottle upgrade.

Ancedote: My oldest son, (he's 12), is very picky about scents and doesn't like about 90% (possibly more!) of what I shove in his face. haha

Of Evening Cicadas, he said, "Smelly!" I asked, "Good or bad?" He replies, "Good."

:)

Update: It's gone all wonky again. :( One of these days, I'm going to figure out what it is that makes things get that sourish, bleck tang to them. :(

Edited by wl552

My first thought was that this smells the way that glossy, shimmery wings look, if that's possible. It smells sort of glassy, cool, sweet and enchanting. I can smell the leaves at first, and they smell like fall leaves that are damp on the ground, mingling with a little bit of sweet, pale green grass. Then the scent goes through a smoky, perfumey phase that I don't like (reminds me of smelling a clean, fresh perfume on a girl who has been smoking cigarettes). The drydown after about a half hour is rather pretty, though. I think that it's reminding me a bit of Dolce & Gabbana's "Light Blue" fragrance, but this is more smooth and watery, with hints of sweet musk.

Evening Cicadas strikes me as smelling more like some of the scents that I could pick up at a department store, but softer than most of those scents. It's like smooth, bright, shimmery aquatic, a hint of dry leaves, sweet musk, and maybe a touch of delicate floral perfume on me. I like this, but (in a strange way) I can imagine this being a good scent for a lot of girls that I don't particularly get along with. I feel like it's not really "me." I keep flipping between really liking it and finding it really off-putting... :/