wl552

Diable en Boîte

DIABLE EN BOÎTE
The crickets sing, and man's o'er-labour'd sense
Repairs itself by rest. Our Tarquin thus
Did softly press the rushes, ere he waken'd
The chastity he wounded. Cytherea,
How bravely thou becomest thy bed, fresh lily,
And whiter than the sheets! That I might touch!
But kiss; one kiss! Rubies unparagon'd,
How dearly they do't! 'Tis her breathing that
Perfumes the chamber thus: the flame o' the taper
Bows toward her, and would under-peep her lids,
To see the enclosed lights, now canopied
Under these windows, white and azure laced
With blue of heaven's own tinct. But my design,
To note the chamber: I will write all down:
Such and such pictures; there the window; such
The adornment of her bed; the arras; figures,
Why, such and such; and the contents o' the story.
Ah, but some natural notes about her body,
Above ten thousand meaner moveables
Would testify, to enrich mine inventory.
O sleep, thou ape of death, lie dull upon her!
And be her sense but as a monument,
Thus in a chapel lying! Come off, come off:
As slippery as the Gordian knot was hard!
'Tis mine; and this will witness outwardly,
As strongly as the conscience does within,
To the madding of her lord. On her left breast
A mole cinque-spotted, like the crimson drops
I' the bottom of a cowslip: here's a voucher,
Stronger than ever law could make: this secret
Will force him think I have pick'd the lock and ta'en
The treasure of her honour. No more. To what end?
Why should I write this down, that's riveted,
Screw'd to my memory? She hath been reading late
The tale of Tereus; here the leaf's turn'd down
Where Philomel gave up. I have enough:
To the trunk again, and shut the spring of it.
Swift, swift, you dragons of the night, that dawning
May bare the raven's eye! I lodge in fear;
Though this a heavenly angel, hell is here.
One, two, three: time, time!
- Iachimo, Cymbeline Act II, Scene 2

There are few things more disturbing than a Jack in the Box. A strangely sinister, unnerving holiday scent: redwood, bitter clove, tonka, hemp accord, and tobacco with peach blossom, black currant, and red musk.

Oh no! I'm first on another Yule.

In the bottle, it's very astringently medicinal. I was snorting so I could pick up what it reminded me of and it sort of burns at the back of the throat. Again, not what I was expecting when I ordered and not something I'd necessarily want to wear.

But like with Yule Cat, I went ahead and put some on.

Wet on skin: It's the red musk from Mircalla, but much smokier. Smoky is really the main thing I remember about first application.

Drying: The smoky has wafted away and a dry wood is mostly prominent now. I really wish I knew what individual notes smell like instead of giving just general impressions. I don't know if this is the redwood or what. A sweetishness is still lurking, but it has a distinct woodiness. Specifically a dried out wood, not freshly chopped green wood. This stage gives me the impression it's just a tad on the masculine side.

Much later this evening: All has settled down and Diable is just lovely. There's a soft sweetness to the deeper, rich tones of the scent that make it very wearable. I'm sure that has to be the peach blossom. Masculinity has went away and it's leaning more on the girly side now.

Overall: I'm very happy that Diable hopped into my cart unsniffed. I've enjoyed all stages of this morpher and I don't plan on him just sitting around unworn. Added after I was thinking about it... I have a feeling that Diable will be supremely lovely with a bit of age.

What an interesting scent! I'd think from the name and notes that Diable would be a very masculine, red, spicy blend, but it definitely mellows out as it dries, and morphs, as noted above. The scent starts out as a very reddish, sweet redwood scent, with a hint of the sweetness of tonka, and there's a bit of something sharp and leafy in the first part of the oil's drydown. Over time, this really swings towards a juicy peach scent! It's akin to... that Inquisition scent... the patchouli-peach one that I can't recall right now.

It's definitely peachy, but this peach has a supporting depth behind it.

It starts out sharp and almost menacing.

Dry it becomes a dark complicated spicy/woody scent, barely sweetened by the peach blossom and the currant.

The far dry down is lovely and rich with redwood, tonka and peach blossom.

This should improve with a bit of age. The sharpness at the beginning is a little intimidating, and a wee bit of mellowing would probably make me love it more. It's still a complicated wood and spice scent, and I am happy to have it.

Wet: Herby, medicinal, almost peppery. Smells red somehow.

Drying: Really lovely and different than what I expected. I get a lot of clove.

Dry: Sweetened redwood, musky fruit, and still very clovey. I think I want a candle that smells like this. Not getting any hemp or tobacco, and I think the currant is blending with the peach blossom.

After some time, the sweetness (tonka mostly, I think) fades, and I get more wood, and maybe there's the tobacco coming out. Mild throw.

Verdict: This is unlike anything I've smelled before, but not something I would wear regularly. Will keep the decant for occasional use (or maybe put a few drops into tea lights).

Thank you, Lab, for always surprising us!

In the wet stage, it's heavy with clove.

The tonka and tobacco emerge as it begins to dry. I get wafts of the peach blossom too.

Dry, it's a spicy woody scent. Clove is still there, but much milder than it was to begin with.

Edited by angelicruin

Diable en Boite = Devil in a Box = Jack in the Box:

In the imp: Men's cologne, not very distinguished.

Wet: Much better; not as cologne-y. Redwood and tonka, tobacco, a little of the clove, and some sweet that I think is the black currant.

Dry: Dry wood, edged with the bitter clove. There's a floral I expect is the peach blossom, and a little sweet still. Nice, but not a bottle.

This one was a surprise hit for me. I was a little hesitant at the peach blossom, but it really lends a bit of lightness to the blend. The clove isn't very predominant here either. The wood and tonka and tobacco are fairly prevalent, with a light flash of peach blossom. The red musk isn't in your face at all, but it's definitely present. It's sweet but not overly rich, with just a hint of a smoky vibe about it. Very wearable. I like it a lot.

Hmmm....not enough Red Musk for me, i get far more of the rose wood than anything else. Early in the drydown it goes a tad powdery on me, and it stays that way. The combination of notes is too masculine on my skin, perhaps i need to let the DH try this one.

I love red musk, so I was sure this one would be a winner for me, and it is. :D The clove and redwood are at the top, supported by red musk and soaked in sweet blackcurrent. It's a murky and spicy scent that may have been inspired by something that comes up in people's nightmares, but is actually very alluring! :wub2:

Edited by Invidiana

It smells suspicious in the bottle and I'm a little suspicious at this point, but once it hits the skin it's buttery and smooth red musk just the way I like it.

When it dries it's a little like a masculine Pôthôn Mêtêr on me.

Powerful and maybe a little screamy but definitely gorgeous. No scratch the screamy part. It's just downright gorgeous.

It's the red musk from Mircalla! Hello, red musk from Mircalla.

This Diable is in fact female. Very female. Inside the redwood and teak box, she has red skin, currant-black eyes and hair and she smells strongly of peach-blossoms.

This is lovely, but far too perfumy and sweet for me.

EDIT: I must have been having an off chemistry day. The next time I tried it, it was much more woody and smoky. Might be good on a guy.

Edited by patina

In the imp - woods, spice and something very sweet

On my skin - clove, musty wood and something very sweet

This reminds me somewhat of March Hare because of the clove+sweet fruity/floral.

This one really isn't ýuley' to me', and I'm wondering if my nose is broke. I get a strong, heady metallic gardenia/floral blend, kind of generic 70's floral. My teeth actually hurt from the metallic association. I get none of the notes, no wood, tobacco, and it's only scary because I don't like metallic strong florals. This smells like something my mom would wear, and I'll most likely pass it on to her.

On my skin at first, this is dark, dry wood (really smells like pencil shavings on me), a hint of gritty earthiness from the tobacco, and the hot, incensey warmth of the red musk. As it dries down, it still smells overwhelmingly of pencil shavings, and something in this is going sour and acrid on me.

After fifteen minutes, Diable en Boîte starts to get a bit better. The black currant sweetens things up and the peach blossom adds a smooth, girly quality to the blend. I can still smell the pencil shavings in the background and the red musk still smells sour (which must be one of the other notes going off, because red musk is usually lovely on me), though.

The drydown of this isn't bad or unwearable for me, but I don't like the pencil shavings turn that the wood notes take on my skin, and it remains a little too sour for my tastes.

in the bottle - tobacco. peach. these stand out the most to my nose. then musk, and tonka. disturbing, dark, yet somehow warm and pleasant. I wouldn't want to smell like this wearing it in a locket, but I could see wanting something I own scented with this. A small stuffed bear. Something...Yeah, how odd right?

wet - the tobacco doesnt stand out as much, peach, currant, tonka, ..something else that's not the musk. As it dries the redwood though is taking over.

dry - this is suprizingly, and shockingly to me, pretty. I can definately smell the peach and it stayed true. It's delicate, and contrasts the darker harshness of the tobacco and clove, and musk. The redwood sort of serves as a wood table for it all to sit on top of. and a hint of tonka kind of mellows and blends it together. I will only want to wear this fall/winter, I can tell, but it's worth wearing.

. Something about this is oddly familiar, and very comforting too.

Rating - 5/10

I'll be wearing this, but only sometimes.

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description --Shollin

Wet, it is a very smoky scent with just a hint of the redwood that is listed in the notes. However, as it dries the smoke becomes more creamy and sweet. Fifteen minutes after initial application, it becomes pretty spicy and makes me think of cinnamon scented pine cones. Atmosphere spray?: yes! Perfume?: No way.

On the skin: Redwoods and something kind of smokey. Interesting....

After a bit it begins to smell..... sweeter. Still redwoods, but there is definitely less smoke and more sweet. Yay!

The dry down for this scent is quite interesting and I think I will have to test it again. I love the redwood smell! Going to have to get the SO to try this one as well since he grew up in the redwoods.

Oh wow! This is sooo pretty! Fresh on, it's "OMG Peach!!" A wonderful bright peach with smooth dark clove. Some sort of resin in the background keeps the scent from floating away. As it warms up, I can identify my nemesis, Red Musk. Damn. So, of course, the lovely peach burn off and red musk takes over the show. I can occasionally smell *other things*, but nothing identifiable. Just the big red musk. Pphhhhttttt. Time to buy a scent locket, 'cause this is lovely (just not on my skin).

Overwhelmingly woody in the imp and when fresh. The peach comes out after a few minutes and for a while this was really promising woody-peachy goodness with a whiff of tobacco. The peach then fades, leaving mostly sweet wood behind...a bit of a disappointment as I was hoping for the red musk and currant.

Diable en Boite is one of those I almost didn't try, but on second glance the notes sounded good and I decided to try it out. I am so glad that I did. On first sniff out of the imp, it is a fruity, sweet, lush scent, filled with tonka beans and tobacco. On, it mellows to a wonderful, complex scent. I smell the wood, musk, and tonka... there is a faint fruity sweetness, but it's not an overpowering fruity scent. It is a strong, full-bodied scent but not overly strong or overly cloying, and it doesn't have any kind of masculine note on me. This is another Yule that doesn't have a distinctly holiday feel, and it's not as overpowering as some LE's, although it definitely has a strength to stand on its own. So far, this is my second favorite Yule from 2009.

I am freaking creeped out by Jack in the Boxes so I'm amused that one of my favorite scents this year is Diable en Boite. I'm sort of afraid of buying a bottle, but I have to -- this is mad pash love for me. The redwood starts out wet smelling like fresh-cut rosewood, but then settles down once dry into smelling like redwood bark, which is really a heavenly smell to me. The clove, as in But Men Loved Darkness Rather Than Light, isn't as nasty as I expected, and the tobacco, musk, and peach kind of round it out and sweeten it up.

This is so unusual and so... BPAL, really. Just amazing and unique and nothing like any other blend I've ever smelled.

In the vial, this smells like a sharp, astringent cologne. On my skin, it warms up and becomes less medicinal; when I inhale deeply I get clove and wood and tobacco, a spicy, smoky scent that I really like, but the first note I can smell each time I sniff is still something that reads "masculine" to me.

Once it fully dries, though, whatever cologney note i was getting fades, and I can smell the peach and currant sweetening the scent. It's not an incredibly dark scent-- in fact, it smells sort of clean to me at this point, like skin freshly scrubbed with something spice-scented. I think I would love this on a guy, but I'm not sure it's something I can wear myself.

I like nearly all the notes listed in this one, and I couldn't wait to try it. It's a little darker and muskier than I was expecting, but I like it a lot. It's a comforting scent to me. One of those ones that's hard to describe but smells good and feels like it's at home on me. There's something in it that's just a touch bitter, and I tend to prefer smooth over bitter. This one has a little bite to it. I think that'll keep it from being a bottle purchase for me, but I think it's something that other people will really enjoy.

Also, this scent is one of those decidedly BPAL scents. Like, I could smell this on someone and say, "Yep. That's a BPAL oil. For sure." I think it's because of the red musk, which really seems to be unique to BPAL (and one of my favorite notes).

Edited by filigree_shadow

So there is a store in the historic part of town that is all wood inside and sells, wood toys, herbs, spices, soaps, dried flowers, etc and whenever I walk in I take a deep breath because it smells so good. That is what this smells like, just with a touch of red musk thrown in.

It's a beautiful scent, just not something I can really see wearing as a perfume personally. I am so glad I got to try it thoough. :)

I like this blend. I don't love it, but I do like it and see myself wearing it. It reminds me a lot of torture king (which is probably good because it'll be easier for me to find) but without the citrusy notes. It starts out with an almost generic spice/musk type feeling for me, but then dries down into a pine-y spiciness that I enjoy. It really does remind me of torture kind without the leather and the citrus- this is a much milder, calmer blend that than but with the same spicy darkness on my skin.