Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
potion

Kabuki

Compelling, complex, and utterly enigmatic: a luxuriant, exotic blend of cherry, red musk, and star anise.

first waft: pretty, kind of sweet

first on: EWE!! Pure black licorice. Wow, that anise is wicked... in an evil sort of way.

one hour later: Licorice to heavy incense. It smells... holy. Vague tingles of a memory involving myrrh. It reminds me a lot of an old Italian woman I used to know. She spent a lot of time at church.

later: ayup, still there. It just won't go away...

verdict: Ugh. I hate to say it, but no, I don't think I like this one. The Mister didn't like it either.

---------
random notes: another one tried during my moon week and on a cold, wet night. I should retry it at a different time of the month and under different conditions.

---------
[edited my orginal review in my LJ : 06/27/05] Retried Kabuki today and ohsweetmother that was wretched. It was pure licorice... well... except for that burning plastic undertone. Wow. I think Kabuki will be my first ever imp offered up to the public. Anise and I do not get along well at all.

kabuki2.gif

Wow! This is Snake Oil of the East! This is really gorgeous, thick, deep sensual. The anise isn't rising to my nose, but the base notes are almond/cherry. I want to swab my throat with this, and I mean that in the most perverted way. Maybe it's the red musk which brings out the animal in me. I have no idea but this stuff is quite the aphrodisiac. According to the ingredients Beth lists, Kabuki should be a simple blend, I assure you it is not. Not a summer scent, I would save this for when you want a blanket of good smells to overcome you. Yesss, this is a good perfume.

This blend is absolutely drool inducing. It goes from cherry and black licorice to the almond cookies that always get thrown into our take-out orders from the Chinese restaurant. Yum.

In the bottle Kabuki smells predominantly of maraschino cherries. As soon as I put this on my skin, it burns a little. After a few seconds the burning stops, anise wants to play, a they mingle together to become one. Once on my skin, the red musk also comes out, blend with the cherry and anise giving this a almond cookie feel. It then mellows out and becomes rich, warm, and very sexy. :P Hee hee. Sexy cookies.

This is a wonderful blend. I haven’t let the minor burning sensation hinder me from buying a 5 ml. bottle.

At first sniff, Dandelion and Burdock, which I have to admit threw me somewhat. Wet on me this was dark, spicy cherries. When it dries the star anise comes through, at first it's quite sharp and medicinal, but as if fades it becomes sweeter, smelling for all the world like aniseed balls :P . It does really smell as if at some point it's been coated in sugar, towards the end of its existence it becomes slightly creamier as well. This is a very unusual blend and I like it, but I don't think I would wear it.

Edited by Ajila

Um, wow.

In the bottle: cherry starburst. Sweet, sugary CHERRY. Wow, that's sweet.

On, wet: Still CHERRY. Oh, and something spicier. Is that the anise? The musk? It's interesting, whatever it is. Not bad, not good, but interesting. Still smells yummy.

Dry down: About 15 minutes in, this totally vanished on me. I was utterly confused. This was way too strong to just vanish. Buh? Is my skin hungry today? Did I just get used to it? I even went and smelled some coffee to clear my nose and no luck.

Another 15 minutes and it came back, and this time it was cherry-coated star anise. I didn't really get the licorice some people have, but then I know exactly what star anise smells like (given I bake with it and have some in my pantry) so it's very much anise-not-licorice to me. Sweet and spicy. Maybe it's cherries rolled in amise? Not sure. Whatever, they're all mashed together.

And it lasted. And lasted. It didn't change a bit, just kept on radiating cherry and anise. I get no musk from this at all unless it's tempering the anise a bit.

This morning, I could still smell this on the crook of my elbow, but now it's just musk. /There/ it is. A slightly dirty musk, but musk nevertheless. That's more than 12 hours, folks.

This is nice, and I like it, but it's pretty foody to me. I like some foody scents, but not this sort. I don't want to smell like anise. This might make a good room scent, or maybe I'll save it for holidays when I'm baking. I do love the cherry note in it, though. But.. not really my style.

My first thought: ripe cherries and licorice. It smells almost like cherry coke on me, which is actually pretty yummy. I loooove cherry scents, especially with the background of star anise. This is such a beautiful scent; sexy, alluring, with the foodiness that I so love. Bravo, another lovely for me to covet! :P

Bottle: When I first smelt this, I felt like I was being sucked through a dark vortex of cherries. Intoxicating in a very good way. Nice, and strong.

On Skin: Felt like I was drinking a cherry flavored wine while sitting on cool, damp earth. Still had the cherry scent there, obviously, but a earthy scent was mixed in. The scent is much lighter here, and doesn't seem to last long on my skin. Too Bad.

Still, I like this scent a lot and I can certainly understand the buzz around this scent. For me, it would clearly work best in a spray bottle or burner. 7/10.

I'm so sad by this scent because I love it. I think it's gorgeously sexy, but something in it causes huge red welts no matter where I put it. It smells like cherries initially while wet but dries down to a creamy musky slightly cherry scent. Just gorgeous..unfortunately the welts aren't too gorgeous so I'll pass it on to someone who can handle it! :P

In the bottle: This smelled like cherry cough syrup to me. Very, very sweet.

Wet: I felt a slight tingle on my skin when I applied this, which I was not expecting at all (there was no visible reaction). It remained quite sweet on me, staying very true to the way it smelled in the bottle.

Dry-down and wear: This actually mellowed out quite a bit. The sweetness faded and gave way to a two-layered scent: the base layer of spicy licorice covered by fruity cherries. I purchased this bottle for a friend--but I had to try it out on myself. I did not expect to like it at all, so I was surprised by the complexity of the dry-down. I don't think I'll purchase a bottle for myself, but even if this scares you a bit in the bottle or imp, give it a try. This has the most change from wet to dry of any of the scents I tried in this "batch" of nine from my order.

My first review :P

If Kabuki were a facial expression it would be a sneer, one of those "I got you where I want you" kind of sneers.

Out of the bottle it smells like spicey cherry coke.

On my skin the musk jumps up and smacks my nose.

That is hot and spicey. I can't detect anything but musk for the first few minutes.

I have to go blow my nose. this stuff is powerful.

Driving to work my car smells all spicey and warm, but kinda naughty too. I can't specifically detect the cherry, but it does have a slight juicey smell, so that must be it. The black licorice smell is there, but it has a bite, not like the innocent Good and Plentys we all know. The Red Musk makes this last.

The drydown is pleasant. the musk is not as strong now 3 hours later, and the anise floats around me. still spicey and warm. But still makes my nose a bit tingly and itchy. I love the smell of anise but i think the musky-ness is too powerful for my sensitive nostrils. My Mom simply adores it, though, so I think this will be a keeper for her.

This starts off with a blast of tart, sweet, slightly powdery cherry (makes me think of black cherry kool-aid powder) and a whiff of black licorice. I wish that the licorice were stronger. It dries down to faint, tart cherry powder that only lasts about an hour total on me.

Edited by Little Bird

Kabuki

(bonus from the Lab -- thanks, y'all!)

In the bottle: Very sweet! The cherries are strong, which gives me little hope for this scent on my skin. It smells like candy, like the dust on gummy Life Savers.

Wet, on skin: Straight-up cherry lollipop! There's a sharpness underneath the candy sweetness, but mostly, it's red lollipop.

1.5 Hours on skin: I'm surprised! This scent has softened and warmed up in unexpected ways. The musk balances the cherry's fruitiness.

Drydown: Very subtle drydown. The musk is what lingers on my wrist, happily. In the end, it smells like a typically perfume-y scent.

Conclusion: I'm surprised to say that I'd definitely use up this imp!

After sniffing this in the bottle, I was very nervous about Kabuki. It smelled like NyQuil and cherry cough syrup. Yuck.

I tried it on, and am very glad that I didn't judge it by the bottle scent. The musk is very prominent and keeps the anise from being too licorice smelling, and the cherries are mostly a background hint. This is a really deep scent - very heavy and thick smelling, surprisingly sexy.

Overall, I enjoyed Kabuki a lot. I don't like the smell of anise very much, but it works really well in this oil. I highly recomend that people give this a try.

Free imp from minilux, that wonderful gal!

In the imp: Very strong cherry scent, like sugar-free candies

On me: First the scent was primarily a deep cherry smell, then the anise peeked through after half a minute. I don't normally like black licorice but the anise isn't as bitter and annoying as it normally is. Then immediately after an amber or a resin scent comes through, smelling a bit like incense on my skin. I also get a slight powder tinge to the smoky scent (whichever it is,) but I like that and think it's very pleasant

Overall: Don't think it's an everyday smell, but I do really like it and will probably be wearing it a little bit maybe to work or to special occasion things. I think it would work lovely for a professional dinner.

This is cherry licorice and black licorice perfectly blended. The bit of musk makes it warm, sultry and velvety and keeps if from being too sweet. It melds with my body heat and makes me feel all delicious and sexy. It has great staying power. The oil itself is a dark brownish color. I enjoy this one and will be ordering a 5 mL.

I bought this for the cherry scent, hoping the anise wouldn't be overpowering. I like the smell of anise, but only in small doses.

In the imp this smells like sweet cherries. Totally yummy and exactly what I was hoping for.

Sadly, once this hit my skin, the cherries were gone and it was entirely anise. I was running out of the house so it had to stay on. It was just licorice for hours and now it's faded down to licorice and something dusty smelling.

*sighs*

Off to the swap-pile for Kabuki. I need to go in search of another cherry scent.

Edited by zillah37

In the bottle--nice and sweet, very cherry and a hint of musk.

Wet---cherry and musk! Very nice

Drydown--Uh oh, here comes the anise, I HATE anise.

Later on---still musky and cherry with a touch of anise.

I will have to try this one again. I really liked it, but could do without the anise smell.

In the imp: Cherry, and ... cherry. That medicinal tang that reminds me of Kyoto -- ah, right, anise again.

On, wet: This is like Kyoto's wicked sister. The anise is MUCH stronger; it pretty much stomps all over the cherry and kicks it out of the way. Not noticing any musk yet.

Drydown: Ah, there's the musk. It's pretty much all musk and anise right now. Sweet but tricksy. As it dries further, the musk becomes more noticeable.

Not quite as keen on this one as Kyoto. Husband really loves licorice, though, so he might like it -- on me, anyway. It might be a little too feminine, what with the cherry, for him. Anyway, I don't dislike it; we'll give it a few more tries.

The cherry in this is wonderful. This reminds me of my first impression of Red Queen, before she turned all sawdust on me. The anise on me is very subdued, luckily (I was a little afraid of that) and it offset the cherry just perfectly.

This didn’t last as long as I’d hoped, but I’ll try it again with a lotion base and see if it holds on longer.

In the vial: Cherry cough syrup.

On, wet: Still overwhelmingly cherry cough syrup. Colour me worried.

Later: And then, surprise! There's the anise! It reminds me of Dr. Pepper, somehow, almost... fizzy. But I love it. I really, really love it. Anise is one of my favourites, and it goes really well with the cherry. Once again, the musk is AWOL on me.

This smells like Luden's cough drops! Those sugarfree drops in the little cardboard box.. they're so yummy!

I get a whiff of anise every so often, but it isn't too strong, it seems very well partnered with the cherry. At first this is a very heady perfume, a deep red brown scent. But as it's drying, it smells a teeny bit like Bordello with a bit of dragon's blood. When I sniff my wrist close up, I get a relatively unattractive anise smell, but from a ways away, I just get a hint of anise with a lot of black cherry.

I really like this, it's sweet but not in a bright red, artificial way.

This scent morphs quite a lot on me as the different notes bloom. First there's a big hit of rich, deep cherry/almond. Then the star anise takes over and I smell like Chinese barbecue for a few minues. Then the cherry and anise find their balance, and the overall effect is somewhere in the cherry Coke/ Dr. Pepper/ rootbeer/ birch beer range. This part was rather nice, if a little unusual for daily wear, and I began to come up with all sorts of layering plans for it.

Then the red musk took over. The red musk here is almost *too* sexy, if you get my meaning: a salty, smoky, skin scent that makes it smell kind of like my wrist has, um, just visited somewhere private, shall we say. And the anise drifts through at odd moments, making it smell like I just had sex with five-spice pork barbecue. Peculiar, to say the least.

I think this stage is *finally* calming down. Now it's smelling more like sexy vanilla with an Asian kick to it. I'll have to try this again to see if this unusual experience is replicated.