Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Lycanthrope

Ogygia

Sea air, kelp, and climbing vines, flame-singed cedarwood and juniper branches, cypress boughs, alder wood, violets, selino, parsley, glistritha, and white sage.

Ogygia was a typical blue-green aquatic: watery, fruity-sweet and juicy, with a touch of crisp, grassy/seaweed greenness. Quite similar to Danube and Kiyohime Changes From A Serpent. Ultimately it was too much like other blue-green aquatic blends I already love.

On my skin, this is aquatic plus bitter herbs. As it dries, it morphs into a very similar smell to a laundry detergent I've used before - not sure which one. It doesn't really leave detergent land after that.

In the vial: Whoa cypress-y! Pretty sharp and predominantly woody. Very green, yet slightly sweet.

On: This smells kind of like public bathroom on me, I'm afraid... you know, like that disinfectant a lot of them use. Let's see if it calms down to something more standable.

Later: Softer and blue-ish green oceany... but there's still that note that I associate with lavatories in the background. It may just be a wonky association of mine, but it doesn't work for me.

I agree with everyone who said this scent is REALLY biting and sinus-clearing straight out of the imp. :eek: It does calm down after a while, and becomes more resinous than biting, but it still has a lot of throw.

I generally love aquatic-ness, but I don't get as much of that here as I would like. Nor salt, for that matter. For me, this scent is mostly a wallop of cedar and cypress and parsley. I looked up selino and discovered that it is wild celery, and that makes sense to me, too -- it might account for some of the sinusy sharpness.

I can smell a faint smokiness in the background, which I guess is the flame-singeing. That part is quite nice.

There are some violets in there contributing sweet powderiness, but despite that, I find this to be a very masculine scent. I think it would be quite a bit nicer on a man than it is on me, so I'm swapping it.

I kind of dig the parsley, though. I am pro-parsley.

Edited by rhubarb3point14

In the Imp (ITI): Yep, that’s aquatic. It’s biting, salty, and has a hint of greenness in it. No woodsy notes yet.

Wet: Salty, sharp aquatic, and some green, herby notes. I don’t completely hate it, as there is some depth from the other notes.

Dry: Once dry, there is almost a melon scent about it. It’s still too salty and aquatic for my taste, but it is interesting.

In the Imp: Marine aquatic with a hint of woods underneath that. Also sort of a chemical scent. Hope it goes away. :/

On Skin

Wet: The chemical scent goes away very fast! Marine note predominates - but has a bit of a sweet edge. Woods underneath that. I can especially smell the juniper. :)

After a while: A warm skin scent shows up. Also I can start smelling the sage. But the marine/woods smell is still there.

This doesn't change very much over time - for me.

This is a wonderful Marine scent. Definitely keeping it!

In the imp - pine and salt water, an harshness that reminds you of nature's strenght. I was not fully convinced but I was certainly intriued.

Wet on skin - Somehow, this is all I expected from Bewitched, minus the sweetness. It's still all forest greens and sea harsh blues. I like it, apprecciate the evocativeness of it, but it might have too much of a bite for me.

On the drydown - resins prevail and the scent stays sharp and green. Maybe it reminds me a little of forest scented car refresher.

Wet: Sweet purple flowers and bright green notes. Similar to how lilac and grass would smell together.

Drydown: Fresh cool greens. Soapy, but in a good way. The notes are all so similar I’m having difficulty telling them apart. Juniper is the only note I can really identify with any degree of certainty.

Dry: More of the same. Fresh, soapy greens. Soft and sweet.

Wearing this makes me smell like I just took a shower. And I did just take a shower, so now I smell like I just took 7 showers.

6 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

Wearing this makes me smell like I just took a shower. And I did just take a shower, so now I smell like I just took 7 showers.

I'm not sure I can top that. :lol:

This is a lovely, clean and fresh smell. You know those laundry products that claim to smell like a fresh ocean breeze? This is what they're shooting for, and missing. That is the source of the similarity, and that is where it ends. This is a definite favorite, and really nice on a cool, bright and breezy day with just a slight threat of rain. :heart:

Imp: Dryer sheety aquatic.

On my skin, it's still a dryer sheety aquatic, but I'm also getting some herbaly green notes like the parsley. No decectable wood notes. There's also a bit of a floral edge. The overall impression is unfortunately bathroom cleanery. And, as it dries more, it starts to smell like an actual bathroom with an understone of poop. :sick: Not a match for my chemistry... washing-off time now.

Edited by sunlitgarden

Imp: Clean, clear water. Almost soapy but just at the edge.

Wet: Ocean water, it has that slight tang of salt. Soapy XD But I don't mind soapy all the time. It smells very clean and I could imagine it would smell lovely on anyone right out of the shower. It would be great for a warm day to bring that hint of clean beachy water.

Dry: Pure soap. Not terrible but not something I need either.

Sharp and sour smelling aquatic. Reminds me of an aquatic pencil eraser-head, actually. This sounds and smells so weird so i better stop 00000288.gif

Mmm, Ogygia is one of those scents that's been steadily climbing up my favorites list, and now sits somewhere proudly near the top.

I received a frimp in one of my last orders, and after an initial bit of hesitation, I decided to try it out.

And I fell in love.

With the more BPAL scents I try, the more I'm becoming assured that aquatics work stunningly well on my skin, which is something I never would've thought to begin with.

Ogygia starts out blisteringly strong, sharpness of the aquatic notes outright overpowering everything else, but after it's been on my wrists and begins to dry down, it starts to mellow and round out almost immediately. The violet notes in the back come out strong, sweetening the edges without becoming entirely floral, and the juniper makes a faint appearance as well, blending in right alongside in a way that I wouldn't have ever expected to be as lovely as it is.

Every time I smell Ogygia, as well, I'm drawn back to memories of when I was fourteen or so. There was one B&BW body wash that I liked in particular, back then, and this reminds me of it very strongly, though for the life of me I'm not entirely sure what it was. This, maybe? In any case, it's been years since I've actually had some of said body wash to smell in person, so I can't vouch for an accurate comparison. But in any case, that's what it reminds me of; summer days, off at camp, in hellishly hot & humid weather, while said showers were my only salvation to keep me from collapsing of heat exhaustion.

It really does smell like the sensation of upending a substantial amount of cool water over yourself on a hot day. It's cooling, but not glacial, and utterly, utterly refreshing. I've got a full-sized bottle in my next order, no less, and this really will be the scent to wear for the remainder of the summer. It's also relatively neutral, though with my chemistry, the violets come out as an obvious enough note to dissuade über-masculine individuals from jumping at the bit to try it. That is, unless said über-masculine individuals simply don't care about smelling like a garden, which, admittedly, is disarmingly endearing.

In any case, I'm going off on a tangent. Five out of five stars, absolutely.

My experience:

Oh wow. this is probably the most oceanic aquatic perfume I've tried yet (disclaimer: I have not tried too many so far). Which is good! It's what I'm looking for. See, I live right near the coast, so I'm rather discerning when it comes to ocean scents. I know what the ocean smells like! With that said... this comes pretty close! Definitely get the sea air and some of the pine/herb notes right off the bat; then it settles down into more of the more neutral woods, violet, and kelp. Interesting stuff! I do wish it was a *teeny* bit stronger. And by that I mean, stronger for longer. I've had it on for about an hour and a half and it's rather weak now. It eventually dies down into sweet woods with a slight bit of ozone/water about 4 hours in. --Oh wow. And now the cedar really kicked in. That was a surprising switch! And bonus points-- my brother likes this one. :v ha ha. ...But then he also said it reminded him of 'fresh laundry sheets' (this was after I had had it on for a few hours), so take that as you will. I still like it though, despite the fact that it's not as long-lasting as I'd like.

This is all salty aquatic and evergreen pine-esque notes--it smells incredibly fresh and clean, but a little nauseatingly so, like too much soap.

In the imp: Aquatic, clean, slight;y sharp.

Wet: Something smells slightly like Biro ink. I wouldn't have guessed any of the notes here apart from the sea air and kelp. Maybe juniper, if I really think about it.

Dry: I love this! Another one for the post-bath relaxing pile. It's so clean and fresh, and beautifully blended - I have a hard time picking out individual notes from it.

Liking the sea air part - it's late spring or a cool summer day. Refreshing, but the herbs and florals keep it from being just an ocean scent. This is like an ocean nymph's scent.

In the imp: Aquatic, salty, and dark-green kelpiness.

On wet: Ozone and salt

Dry: A lot of ozone and salt in the throw. Upon closer inspection I get cedar, juniper, and sage. Very herbal and a little sharp. It does remind me of sea air, but like in the winter rather than the summer.

Salty, sea-breezy kelp and moist greenery, a blue juniper scent, a ponderous cypress, a vague floral impression, and a hint of sage. The sage is nicely fresh-smelling. This is what I get on my skin at first.

After a few minutes, soap lurks on the horizon of that sea, a little shape with a little sail, but coming closer. Fast. OK, well, it's here already. Now Ogygia is sea-scented soap, lightly saged. A very pretty bar of soap, if still a bit salty... I would use this soap.

In the Vial:

A salty aquatic. A little sharp and dry

On the Skin:

Water-logged wood, a combination of dry wood and green sappy wood. The violet comes through to sweeten the blend a little

On the Drydown:

This is a little too one-note aquatic for me. If the kelp had been there I might have been more interested.

In the imp: Aquatic cologne.

Wet on my skin: HELLO MY NAME IS SALTY SEAWATER AND I'D LIKE TO ANNOUNCE MY PRESENCE TO AN ENTIRE TWENTY FOOD RADIUS AROUND YOU.

Dry: Once the initially overpowering rush of saltwater and herbs subsides a little, this is a pleasant, clean, fresh aquatic. It's not too complex on me, and smells like an upper-class sibling of Irish Spring. It's a little bitter, between the sage and salt, and very, very clean. It's not unpleasant, but not quite "me," as aquatics aren't quite my thing to wear. However, I like it enough that I think it's going to become a nice, summery room or car upholstery spray.

Wet: Clean, fresh - a bit sharp at first. It warms up as it dries and gets somewhat woody, but still somehow in a clean way.

Dry: Hmmm, sadly this has dried much less clean, and much more "pencil shaving and kitchen spices" on me. Sad panda.

Lovely salty sea air jumping right outta the imp! That, and the green notes and violets is what I'm getting when wet. Goes more bitter on the skin, taking a more woodsy turn, and then ...it turns to hairspray? ¿POR QUÉ SKIN?

Decided to use some of my BPAL again tonight - I rather forgot about it for the past two years, but kept them dry and dark, so they should have aged nicely. I used only a very very little.

As I first apply it: Wood with a lot of crisp saltiness. A herbal note running underneath.

Maybe 10 minutes later: the herbal is still there, and is now in the foreground even, but there's now also a very noticeable, somewhat bitter smell.

Another 10 minutes later: The sharp bitter I wasn't really enjoying has now mellowed into a warm, soft, herbal smell, not entirely unlike a herb garden in summer. The crispiness from the sea isn't very noticeable anymore.

10 more minutes: The herbs are settling down even more, and now the violets are here to show themselves.

Another half hour later (worn for about an hour total): everything's settled into a mixture that is very very pleasant, although I'm having a bit of trouble distinguishing any one particular note. Mostly herbs and floral, with a tinge of salt in the background.

Another hour later: still kinda the same, though a lot softer now. Smells like a very expensive soap. Not meaning to say it smells traditionally soapy, just I've known some very fancy soaps to smell similarly.

3 hours now: Pretty much gone. It's still kinda got that soapy smell, but it's definitely on its very last legs. It's like a bit of a mix of soapy and sharp herbs that prickle my nose when smelling it.

Almost 6 hours after putting it on: I'm getting told it can still be smelled, and while it can, it's not really allowing me to pick anything out anymore. It's just sorta... fresh.

Edited by Pardona