Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
penemuel

The Chicken-Legged Hut

Creaky wood and sun-dried thatching, clacking bones, leering skulls, burnt herbs, and enormous magical chicken feet.

Imp: Herbal, dusty, nutty, maple-syrupy and spicy. It smells like one of my favorite, Brahmin. Maybe this has caraway seed in it as well?

Wet: Maple oatmeal, a gorgeous soft fuzzy musk very much like the one in Blackbear Moon, a million spices, and some of the wonderful dried herb bundles from the Feb. '09 13. And hay. Ohhhhh man, that's the good stuff, right there. Warm, spicy, rich, sweet, but not so foody it actually smells like cookies or something as mundane as that. On top of it all is a white floral, or lemon, or something, that gives it a slightly 'clean' note.

Dry: This is the kind of scent I adore, dry and herbal and woodsy and spicy and sweetly grain-y all at once. It's even got a touch of freshly-scrubbed kitchen in there somewhere. I think Brahmin and Feb. 09 13 fulfill my needs in terms of bottles, but this is unique and gorgeous and I will cherish my imp.

In imp; sweet golden syrup with oats.

On skin; Gross sickly sweet cinnamon hay.

I have no idea what it was like on the dry down, I had to wash it off quick as I was gagging from the smell. I don't know it is in this but I gave it away very quickly. Ick!

Interesting. It doesn't smell like chicken feet (which I imagine smell horrifying), but it definitely smells like that dry, something's-on-fire scent that BPAL does so well. Slightly burnt herbs, and a very dry, smoldering kind of scent that is slightly disturbing but comforting at the same time. I think there might be something like vetiver in here -- not the dank dark musty kind, but the kind that smells like smoky grassy reeds. I'm picking up on that nutty scent others have mentioned, too, but it's not overwhelming for me.

This is a very pleasant scent. It's not the sort of thing I wear as perfume, personally, but I definitely like the scent.

Sadly, I get no grains, woods, herbs, or anything out of this, and I had such high hopes... My skin did to the Chicken-Legged Hut the same thing it did to most of the metamorphosis scents I've tried, which makes me think there's a sugar note in here somewhere. All I get from this on my skin is a sweet, acrid, burnt-chemical funk.

In the imp: Definitely sweeter than I expected, based on the description. Somewhere between hay and nuts, but a leetle bit sweeter. Like, hay and nuts roasted in cinnamon sugar.

Wet on skin: candied nuts. Definitely candied nuts. I think I get a bit of the thatching in there, but mostly, candied nuts. Mmmmm........ I probably shouldn't have done this review before eating. Oh well.

Dried down: Still candied nuts, though it's softened a bit now by....something - maybe the wood, maybe some of those burnt herbs.

Throw: This has a bit of throw. I get this sugary whiff while I type.

Verdict: **** I like it when scents surprise me, in a good way. I don't know if I'll get a bottle of this or not, but it was definitely a pleasant surprise, and I'll consider it when I'm looking at bottles. II don't think it will be in my first round of bottles, though.

Savoury at first, I think there's something cumin/curry like here. It's like a pantry with herbs in it. Dry, still herbal, but more wearable, musky herbal, slightly sweet. Not bad, but not really something I'd wear.

Sadly this does not work on my skin chemistry.

I get lots of dry hay and some kitchen spices. It almost smells a bit like a chicken or something has been roasted in the background. It's the smell that is left over after the spices and things have been cooked into the meat.

I am also getting a sort of floral..ish..something.

Wait lol

I went and read some reviews to see if anyone else was picking up on the floral and what that could possibly be. A few people said it sort of smelled like a freshly cleaned kitchen. YUP that's it. Clean kitchen, like dishwashing liquid.

It's just really not working for me. It doesn't stink. It doesn't smell terrible or headache inducing...it's just nothing at all that I would ever wear.

Thatching and honey. This is exactly like dried grass and honey, with a faint layer of walnuts and cinnamon. Way too foody and sweet.

In the bottle - Green woods

Wet on me - Green woods with a slightly smoky tinge

Dry on me - A lightly salted skin musk

Overall - Unusual but not my cup of tea

Cinnamon dusted oatmeal with milk. It's a bit nutty and also has a dry, hay-like quality. Smelling this just makes me happy :lol: It's warm, comforting, slightly foody and totally wonderful :heart:

Edited by Monster

I never reviewed this? Dang. CLH was a blend I was interested in based on the sun-warmed hay note alone - I find it to be very soothing and outdoorsy. This did not disappoint. The hay is very realistic and gentle, and it's backed by spicy herbs, something syrupy and smoky grass (vetiver, probably). It's a great mix and very evocative. I don't find it creepy at all, instead being both intriguing and cheerful. I can see the spices becoming overwhelming on someone who amps them, but otherwise I think this is one of the underappreciated gems of BPAL. Anyone who likes foody and/or woodsy blends should definitely give it a shot. I think it's similar to Halfling but less Yankee's Candles sweet and more natural.

In the imp: I'm getting the sun-dried thatching and wood.

Wet: Sun-dried thatching and herbs, followed by the wood. It's a warm scent, and more pleasant than I thought it would be, given its name and description. :P

Dry: Same, but even warmer now. It really does smell like a sun-warmed hut. :)

Verdict: I can't see myself reaching for this one, but it's a lot better than I thought it was going to be from the description!

This did not work for me. It had a heavy sweetness to it that gave me an instant headache. However, on my youngest son, it smells like breakfast cereal with cream, honey and nuts. But there's something else there, a clean herbal scent that I can't quite name that seems to cut the sweet. It makes this a beautiful scent for him.

After my experience with The Witch's Garden, I was expecting a very similar experience to this one, but this is not at all what I expected - to the point where I wondered if it was a mix-up, but reading the other reviews, that appears not to be the case. It is definitely sweet hay which I adore with the richness of smoke or something burnt. Hm, I think this warrants keeping for further testing.

In the imp: My family used to keep chickens, and this is the smell of the coop in summer. Dead-on. They hay (going a little moldy in some places where they won't let us change it) and dirt of the chicken run, the dried grasses and thirsty trees surrounding it, and even a touch of the warm, living, slightly musty smell of the birds themselves. The only thing that's missing is the ever-present and strangely pervasive smell of chicken shit, which, believe me, I'm glad isn't here.

Wet: Very true to ITI - sun-warmed hay and chickens with some extra herbage. I can't tell whether I'm drawn in by the warm, comforting scent of the hay, put off by the smell of chickens, or both.

Dry: It settles down into a scent more reminiscent of a barn full of hay - soft, warm woods, a breath of herbs, and yep, still the hay, although nowhere near as strong as it was.

When I first opened this frimp, I was so knocked over by the "CHICKEN COOP!!!" scent, I was actually afraid to put it on. But the BPAL psychics once again prove accurate - this is the sweet, warm hay scent I didn't know I needed, grounded by woods and rounded out by herbs.

I think I have a mislabel because after reading all of the reviews here, that is most definitely what I do not get. For me it was a chocolate coffee smell. Weird.

As I vegetarian, I should probably never have tried Chicken-Legged Hut. But I saw it was getting discontinued, and so many of the reviews said they got absolutely no chicken at all, so I was curious to try it. Well, maybe I have an overactive imagination, but I got chicken pot pie and it freaked me out and I washed it off my wrist. No, thank you!

I heard this incredible perfume was getting D-conned so I grabbed a spare bottle and am on the look out of more. It is so spicy and warm on me, I love it. An herbalist tried to follow me home from the Punk Rock Flea Market today while I was wearing it. After an hour dry down, this dusty leather note peeks out of my skin and wow. People really react to it.

I get a feeling of white leather or suede OR it could be some sort of white musk. I can honestly say that this is a clean polished white suede blend. It reminds me of the White Rider, but with no leather in sight. For some strange reason, each time i smell it i get the chicken legs image in my head :biggrin:

Oh man, this one was not the one for me. This was all burning thatch with a nutty note and is completely smothered in melting brown sugar. It's extremely potent and overly sweet . On me it was so oppressive that I couldn't even wait for it to dry. I can't deal with overly sweet bakery type smells, and on me that's what it really screams plus the burning grass. Passing this one on for sure.

This scent reminds me a lot of October Dusk bath oil :) I get delicious maple syrup and oatmeal in the imp and on my skin. It is so fun and surprisingly very wearable! I wish this would come back in stock again!

Thank you to the lovely VioletVorpal who frimped this to me! Been wanting to try it for ages.

Wet: Cinnamon raison oatmeal. Yum! Not heavy on the cinnamon, just a touch. And not overly sweet either. Super warm and comforting! Smells like being a kid, feeling safe and warm. I really like it. (Saving review here, will update with dry down. My power will likely go out tonight due to wind. Lol)

ETA, Dry: Much the same. Dries a bit sweeter, a bit less spicy, but still very oaty and comforting. I would get a bottle if I ever had the chance. In the meantime, Halfling is a good substitute (though it smells more like oatmeal cookies to me).

Edited by LizziesLuck

Yup. This one is DEFINITELY all about the magical chicken feet. Smells just like em. :tongue:

Far from horrifying, I actually find this fragrance very comforting. I think it's got a bit of patchouli in it and there's something very nutty in the opening. It's very bready smelling, but with a backing of hay and earthiness. I do get the herbs, though they don't smell green to me, more like dried. This fragrance is warm, homey, and slightly dusty smelling. I don't get any sweetness, just savory nut bread. It's a jeans and comfy t shirt kind of smell, comfortable and down to earth and different from anything else I've come across in the general catalog.

I don't know when this imp is from- probably sometime around 2011.  I believe it was a frimp, but the wood and sun dried thatch seems promising.

In bottle: herby, spicy, a bit medicinal; after it airs out for a couple seconds it smells like yummy wood

On skin: this smells nearly exactly like a country store in a hilltown near me.  Weird.  Warm spices and wood!  

After a few hours: still smells very woody and warm spice-y.

I'll keep the imp, and if I come across a full bottle I might buy or swap for it.